Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I always thought the caprice's looked ghey. This just confirms it.

Dodge Charger FTW!

GR
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2pyngd3.jpg
Diver side is unmarked.

I talked to the Trooper who drove it(or an identical one).

Said she pulled in a lot of tickets.

Bless her little heart.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at that make me very glad that we got one of the alst Crown Vics.

And I got one of the first Chargers!

Bring it! You Kentucky bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h340/carbinegunner/P9250035.jpg

This flippin awesome sir.

Now I return you to more pics obese sedans.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The aging cruisers will be sold at public auction, he said, noting that proceeds from the auction will be used to offset the cost of new cars.

Down here in Waycross, a bunch of assholes have bought up former LEO CVs and purposely drive them like cops.

Many still have the push bar and they will come flying up behind you and tailgate and you think you have a cop up your ass for no apparent reason.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You would think Kentucky would have better sense than to go Government Motors.

I have been giving our Republican Sheriff grief about replacing the CVs with Obama Motors shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure why anyone gives a damn what the police drive as long as they are in their cars doing their job. Could be a Yugo for all I care. I dont care if it full-sized or sub-compact. Hell make it uncomfortable. Then they wont have sex in them or on them while on duty.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They look like shit and I cant imagin them driving anybetter.

Derp.  It's easily the best handling, best driving cop car available today.  The Aussies have the whole sport sedan thing down pat.    

Very true, the Commodores and Falcons here are some sweet assed agile cars for being 4 doors.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
When I saw the title I expected this:

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
love to be able to buy a stripped out basic version.  that shit would be bad ass!!!

why won't they sell this to the general public, it would sell itself........
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
At least they've reduced that "post-menopausal house frau taking a shit on the highway" profile they had back in the 90s.

I'm not sure what that means either but it seems accurate in my head.

Ford probably still rules.  I'm going to assume, with little information, that they made the wrong choice.

AWD... V6 with 250ish HP... unless you get the turbo which puts out 360 + HP.

Sounds like a maintenance nightmare.

Oh, yeah, probably.  What, don't all cop shops have full time crack mechanics with tuner backgrounds?  

Well, from what I have seen, not to many "cop shops" down here have their own auto techs, they just take them to the dealer.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#12]
post a bigger fuckin picture next time. GEEZE.

resize is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Our Meridian Police dept just purchased a few of these.  They look like shit and I cant imagin them driving anybetter.  Obviously there is some sort of  Obama program going with department s to up GM sales with monster discounts.  What a joke of a cruiser, but hey I've been pulled over by an Trooper standing on side the interstate so it dont take a car sometimes.......

I saw those the other day too... glorified ghetto machines.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I kinda like it.  I had an LT1 Caprice for a few years and I loved it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

These guys just can't get away from the gumball.  That's the same light setup they were rocking 30 years ago. It's like Police Squad 2012.

More mythology. The old lights were extremely powerful and the new LED upgrade is even better. Sharkfin on the hood is another feature unique to Michigan State Police vehicles.

When that light is going, EVERYONE within line of sight knows what is sitting under it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, I'm not.  But then again, I used to engines in the 500+ hp range.  I've got a ZZ502 crate block built out in the garage that's going in my Vette that's pushing beyond 850 hp.  Hell, my wifes 69 Mustang has more horsepower and is faster than that cop car.  Hers is running just a FCH shy of 500 hp.

Compared to a beat-to-hell Vic they're fast...and they don't seem to get floaty on you at high speeds like the Vic can. Doesn't take much of a bump to unsettle the back end of a Vic. Especially if the rear shocks aren't in good shape.

IIRC, CVPIs were speed limited because of Rear Axle hop at high speed.  Tended to break Diffs and U-Joints.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is you're comparing a production fleet car to performance crate engines and built muscle cars.  Gotcha.

No, what I'm saying is that 355 hp is not that impressive.  There were cars made back in the 60's with this kind of power.  For an interceptor I'd like to see 450+ hp if they're going to spend their money on something that is supposed to be fast.

do you really want a bunch of cops driving 4500lb 450+ horsepower cars everywhere?

Why not, tons of ghetto trash driving Escalades and Denalis with similar HP and 5000+ curb weights, plus the ground clearance to go right over curbs.

Cops are the last people on the roads to worry about...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is you're comparing a production fleet car to performance crate engines and built muscle cars.  Gotcha.

No, what I'm saying is that 355 hp is not that impressive.  There were cars made back in the 60's with this kind of power.  For an interceptor I'd like to see 450+ hp if they're going to spend their money on something that is supposed to be fast.

355 HP in the sixties isn't 355 HP today.  See SAE Net HP vs Gross HP vs Certified HP.  This is why even with the higher HP ratings of cars in the 60's, todays cars are far faster.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Charger Rocks! Ford is stupid for abandoning this market, and Chevy is idy-phucin-odic for calling the Pontiac G8 a "caprice'! How fucking GAY! That's almost as bad as Ford calling the new "Falcon" a "Festiva" or "Fiesta", or whatever the fuck they called it. (PUKE!)

They will be back in the police market soon, as ford has similar sized vehicles suitable that they will introduce as "Police Interceptors" in a year or two that will have upgrades to match the name.

Ford is letting Chevy test the waters on the introduction of smaller cruisers vs. themselves.

Ford has already started selling the Taurus and Explorer 'Police Interceptors' already.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp.  It's easily the best handling, best driving cop car available today.  The Aussies have the whole sport sedan thing down pat.    

+1 we just received 6.
Quicker, better handling, stops better, more trunk space than the chargers. Stupid floor shift is stupid.
The Crown Vic feels like a school bus compared.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These guys just can't get away from the gumball. That's the same light setup they were rocking 30 years ago. It's like Police Squad 2012.

More mythology. The old lights were extremely powerful and the new LED upgrade is even better. Sharkfin on the hood is another feature unique to Michigan State Police vehicles.

When that light is going, EVERYONE within line of sight knows what is sitting under it.

The LEDs are great....until it snows when it's dark, then they SUCK!  It's unbelievably distracting wathching the snow freeze-framing in front of the windshield at night, while doing high speeds trying to get somewhere.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp. It's easily the best handling, best driving cop car available today. The Aussies have the whole sport sedan thing down pat.

+1 we just received 6.

Quicker, better handling, stops better, more trunk space than the chargers. Stupid floor shift is stupid.

The Crown Vic feels like a school bus compared.

I'm hoping we'll get one of the Caprices instead of the idiotic V6 FWD Ford, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll keep driving the majestic (?) CVPI until the wheels fall off, regardless of liability.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I got to mess around with one of these a while back.  Roomy, plenty of power, lotsa storage.  If I were sitting on the side of the I71 reading Guns and Ammo while running radar, this would be the way I'd want to roll.  I think the Chargers are a wee bit cramped.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

These guys just can't get away from the gumball.  That's the same light setup they were rocking 30 years ago. It's like Police Squad 2012.

They were the first to put a light on the car and they have rocked that bubble gum light proudly since.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]
The police department in the city in which I live I starting to convert from Crown Vics to the new Caprice.  From the outside, they are a damn good looking car.  The county next door has been running the Dodge Chargers.  They would look nicer if they had a better color scheme.  Also, another city near me purchased a Dodge Charger and a Dodge Challenger a couple of years ago.  Some crybabies have been giving them issues though about how they are being used.  Those crybabies wouldn't have anything to cry about if they kept it under 80.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true, the Commodores and Falcons here are some sweet assed agile cars for being 4 doors.

I really like the Falcons - the rest of the world is stuck with the Taurus / Mondeo - which will soon be the same car.  2010, Ford was at the top of their game.  Looking at their new and upcoming stuff, it's like watching them try to fail.  The only stuff that looks "right" is their compacts.  Then again, I've never been able to judge consumer taste very well, maybe they know what they're doing.  I do know that, for each of my two Fords, Ford makes nothing I will want to replace them with.

I think the Falcon would make a great US police interceptor, too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really like the Falcons - the rest of the world is stuck with the Taurus / Mondeo - which will soon be the same car.  2010, Ford was at the top of their game.  Looking at their new and upcoming stuff, it's like watching them try to fail.  The only stuff that looks "right" is their compacts.  Then again, I've never been able to judge consumer taste very well, maybe they know what they're doing.  I do know that, for each of my two Fords, Ford makes nothing I will want to replace them with.

I think the Falcon would make a great US police interceptor, too.

No idea why Ford went with a unibody, FWD/AWD set-up for the new interceptor. They already had 70% of the police fleet market in the United States and Canada, but time will tell I guess.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#28]
MSP in sw Mi had a pewter Tahoe, with a shield only on the rh front door.

Talk about a hard one to spot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got to mess around with one of these a while back.  Roomy, plenty of power, lotsa storage.  If I were sitting on the side of the I71 reading Guns and Ammo while running radar, this would be the way I'd want to roll.  I think the Chargers are a wee bit cramped.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/single199/GTA4POLICEMODS/osptahoe.png  

Local PD got one of those, 300 miles later they totaled it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#30]
We have a shop as part of our parks and streets department that does all maintenance work for all city vehicles.

I strongly doubt they will enjoy working on the new ford AWD with turbos...

I hope we get the tahoes or the caprice. (and I hate chevy lol).
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
It features a six liter, 355 horsepower, V-8 engine that provides the high performance needed to meet all of the agency's patrol needs.

How did they only get 355hp out of a 6L V8?

Heck, Infiniti gets 330hp out of a 3.7L V6.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It features a six liter, 355 horsepower, V-8 engine that provides the high performance needed to meet all of the agency's patrol needs.

How did they only get 355hp out of a 6L V8?

Heck, Infiniti gets 330hp out of a 3.7L V6.

1)Low End Torque and 2) Regular Gas.

Personally, I hate the way some manufacturers hype HP and MPG by using Premium Gas.  It's dishonest.  Try running that Infiniti on the shit most PDs pump into their cruisers and it won't last 20K miles.

The old Ford 4.6L Mod V8 was the classic example of this fleet engine - 'only' 230 HP from 4.6L but it would run forever on shit gas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit happens, that's what insurance is for.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That us tax payers fund, take better care of the equipment my tax money buys you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
love to be able to buy a stripped out basic version.  that shit would be bad ass!!!

why won't they sell this to the general public, it would sell itself........

Ha, they did, it was called the Pontiac G8.  Available in basic, GT, and GXP trim.  I was pissed when Pontiac was shut down, I really wanted a GT.  There's always the used market, but I already have one Holden Pontiac that's hard to get parts for.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
These are basically the same car as the discontinued Pontiac G8 GT.

I've been trying to find one of those.  People aren't selling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://kentuckystatepolice.org/2012/pressphotos/new_cruiser.jpg

The Caprice PPV is a full-size, rear-wheel drive sedan developed exclusively for the U.S. law enforcement market. It features a six liter, 355 horsepower, V-8 engine that provides the high performance needed to meet all of the agency's patrol needs. (Photo by Les Williams, KSP Public Affairs Branch)

In other words, it's a fat slow piece of shit. But knowing quite a few cops, it's probably best if that thing is a fat slow piece of shit given how they think they can drive.

You're joking, right?

aggressive driving, which in our case included giggle-inducing tail slides and Goodyear-immolating launches. We're thinking the PPV would be an ideal vehicle in which to learn to drift when the sergeant isn't looking. GM is quick to point out that the PPV will deliver 0-60 mph runs in under six seconds , and top whack on its certified speedometer has already been measured at 155 mph. And while we didn't have occasion to repeatedly brutalize the pie-plate-sized four-wheel discs (13.6-inch front / 12.75 rear) or its cop-spec anti-lock calibration, Michigan State Police testing recently found the PPV had a class-leading 125.8-ft. stopping distance from 60 mph. Clearly, the Pontiac G8's performance DNA is still present in this long-wheelbase relative.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/30/2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-first-drive-review/

No, I'm not.  But then again, I used to engines in the 500+ hp range.  I've got a ZZ502 crate block built out in the garage that's going in my Vette that's pushing beyond 850 hp.  Hell, my wifes 69 Mustang has more horsepower and is faster than that cop car.  Hers is running just a FCH shy of 500 hp.

Yeah.... while a little smaller and front drive, my Nissan Maxima has VERY similar performance specs as the PPV.    with a sub 300 hp, V6.  Yes, I know the PPV is MUCH heavy with cop stuff in it, but still... really?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.grrrr8.net

Check the for sale forum, there's a blue GXP with low miles for $31K that I was just looking at. There were a few GTs on there last week.

There was a Sport Red Metallic GT at the local Hyundai dealership a few weeks back.

I traded my black 08 GT back in 10/10 for my 2011 5.0...

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Caprice PPV is a full-size, rear-wheel drive sedan developed exclusively for the U.S. law enforcement market. It features a six liter, 355 horsepower, V-8 engine that provides the high performance needed to meet all of the agency's patrol needs. (Photo by Les Williams, KSP Public Affairs Branch)

In other words, it's a fat slow piece of shit. But knowing quite a few cops, it's probably best if that thing is a fat slow piece of shit given how they think they can drive.

You're joking, right?

aggressive driving, which in our case included giggle-inducing tail slides and Goodyear-immolating launches. We're thinking the PPV would be an ideal vehicle in which to learn to drift when the sergeant isn't looking. GM is quick to point out that the PPV will deliver 0-60 mph runs in under six seconds , and top whack on its certified speedometer has already been measured at 155 mph. And while we didn't have occasion to repeatedly brutalize the pie-plate-sized four-wheel discs (13.6-inch front / 12.75 rear) or its cop-spec anti-lock calibration, Michigan State Police testing recently found the PPV had a class-leading 125.8-ft. stopping distance from 60 mph. Clearly, the Pontiac G8's performance DNA is still present in this long-wheelbase relative.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/30/2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-first-drive-review/

Yeah.... while a little smaller and front drive, my Nissan Maxima has VERY similar performance specs as the PPV.    with a sub 300 hp, V6.  Yes, I know the PPV is MUCH heavy with cop stuff in it, but still... really?

The curb weight of your Maxima is 3540, if it's a 2012 base model

The curb weight for a 2012 Statesman is 3926.

400ish pounds. Think that might make a difference?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They're actually pretty peppy...and the interior room on them isn't bad. It's not as much as an Explorer, but it isn't bad.

They don't have the Vic's 18 dead hooker trunk capacity, though...

...and you know how many hookers will fit in the trunk, HOW?????...................................
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Those Michigan cruisers look like they dressed up the charger in the helmets they use for the "special' kids.

That was damn funny right there. I'm still laughing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.grrrr8.net

Check the for sale forum, there's a blue GXP with low miles for $31K that I was just looking at. There were a few GTs on there last week.

There was a Sport Red Metallic GT at the local Hyundai dealership a few weeks back.

I traded my black 08 GT back in 10/10 for my 2011 5.0...

I owe you a beer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That us tax payers fund, take better care of the equipment my tax money buys you.

Again, shit happens sometimes it's unavoidable.  The law of averages dictates that when you spend that much time driving you will be involved in crashes.  I don't know of ANY cop that's been working for any amount of time that hasn't bent a car in one way or another.  Deer etc take a heavy toll.

I don't know the specifics behind that crash obviously.  If they were doing 120 on their way to coffee then that's obviously different.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I sti dont understand how people can believe the Dodge Charger is a good police vehicle.  I havent spoken to a single patrol cop that likes them.  

Heck, a friend that is a detective was offered a Charger, but he went into the police lot, found a Ford Taurus from thelong ago absorbed Park Police.  He asked for it, and got it.  Had it checked out, internal LEDs and a siren installed, and runs around in that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, shit happens sometimes it's unavoidable.  The law of averages dictates that when you spend that much time driving you will be involved in crashes.  I don't know of ANY cop that's been working for any amount of time that hasn't bent a car in one way or another.  Deer etc take a heavy toll.

I don't know the specifics behind that crash obviously.  If they were doing 120 on their way to coffee then that's obviously different.  

Responding to a non emergency call and got in a collison with another car.
I know shit happens, its part of life.
Anyone doing 120 for donuts, better be bringing me some...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I sti dont understand how people can believe the Dodge Charger is a good police vehicle.  I havent spoken to a single patrol cop that likes them.  

Heck, a friend that is a detective was offered a Charger, but he went into the police lot, found a Ford Taurus from thelong ago absorbed Park Police.  He asked for it, and got it.  Had it checked out, internal LEDs and a siren installed, and runs around in that.

Local PD bought a Charger just when they were first being offered. It was a big deal due to the town being less than 2500 people.

They had it for barely a year before another Crown Vic showed up in its place.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're joking, right?

Yes, really.

You can't compare the two.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Charger Rocks! Ford is stupid for abandoning this market, and Chevy is idy-phucin-odic for calling the Pontiac G8 a "caprice'! How fucking GAY! That's almost as bad as Ford calling the new "Falcon" a "Festiva" or "Fiesta", or whatever the fuck they called it. (PUKE!)

Ford has a F150 police package truck.

So do Chevy and Ram/Dodge. They have for years. None of the are pursuit rated. They are "Special Service" vehicles.  The Chevy Tahoe PPV also comes in a non-pursuit rated, 4wd Special Service version.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So am I the only one concerned about the fact police budgets now insist on supplying race cars of sorts for patrol vehicles?  Why were police forces able to get by with relatively tame vehicles for nearly a century, but now it seem it has to be the newest, fastest cars they can get?  This all being coupled with the fact that high speed chases tend to end horribly anyway for one or both parties.  Its like you all will put on the brakes for the country going to hell if you have car porn to distract you.

The NASCARization of the police?

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ford has a F150 police package truck.

So do Chevy and Ram/Dodge. They have for years. None of the are pursuit rated. They are "Special Service" vehicles.  The Chevy Tahoe PPV also comes in a non-pursuit rated, 4wd Special Service version.  

I thought departments were starting to rate SUVs and trucks for pursuit. I believe MSP did so with the Jeep Cherokee a number of years ago. I have this years test book, but I haven't looked through it yet.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top