BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's what the CT State Police have been adding to the fleet... unmarked Dodge Chargers in gray and black

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/charger.jpg

I have never seen so many State Police patrolling the highway until I went to CT a few weeks ago.

Then you should go through VA, TONS of H.P.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone already explained why the engine was designed that way.

I know... lifespan/durability... you would think technology would help overcome some of those limitations.  

And that 400 lb difference...

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

Even with more weight for equipment, that would bring the ratio's even.

Lots of engines make close to 100 HP / liter, naturally aspirated, etc.  Understandably, they are much higher revving, and a cop car is not a race car, the engine has to idle for long periods, and all that...

But that thing is making 59 HP per liter.  With a pushrod V8.  I KNOW that the V* is "proven"  and all that, but for God's sake... the .38 spl. is a "proven" round and reliable as stink in a revolver.  But how many PDs use them anymore?  Why would they be cool with ancient engine tech?

They make a V6 that is nearly as potent, considering displacement.

"Chevy will offer two engines in the Caprice PPV, a 3.6-liter V-6 and a 6.0-liter V-8. The six makes 301 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque; the eight ups the count to 355 and 384, respectively"

They are getting 83 HP per liter out of the V6 and they are selling that one to PDs also.

AND the V6 will get better mileage.

I am not saying that the car is terrible, just that if they want to drop a V8 in the thing....  bring it into the 21st century.
None of that really matters in this context.

High displacement pushrod V-8's offer higher hp/$.  The are inexpensive, simple, durable, and large displacement V-8's have lots of low and mid range power.  They make it very easy to drive fast in a fleet car situation for hundreds of employees.

The only thing that does matter is the mileage.  The v-6's get better mileage with decent performance.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The only thing that does matter is the mileage.  The v-6's get better mileage with decent performance.

'Mileage' is a tricky thing in this context.  The high tech DOHC V6 may get better MPG but once you factor in the Cost/Mile, the low compression OHV V8 running on the cheapest gas can show an advantage, especially over the heavy use fleet vehicles see.

There's a reason why the BOF Panther with the 4.6L Modular V8 was so popular with PDs and Taxi/Livery companies.  It isn't like the people who designed and purchased these vehicles didn't know what they were doing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know... lifespan/durability... you would think technology would help overcome some of those limitations.  

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

Lots of engines make close to 100 HP / liter, naturally aspirated, etc.  Understandably, they are much higher revving, and a cop car is not a race car, the engine has to idle for long periods, and all that...

But that thing is making 59 HP per liter.  With a pushrod V8.  I KNOW that the V* is "proven"  and all that, but for God's sake... the .38 spl. is a "proven" round and reliable as stink in a revolver.  But how many PDs use them anymore?  Why would they be cool with ancient engine tech?

"Chevy will offer two engines in the Caprice PPV, a 3.6-liter V-6 and a 6.0-liter V-8. The six makes 301 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque; the eight ups the count to 355 and 384, respectively"

They are getting 83 HP per liter out of the V6 and they are selling that one to PDs also.

I am not saying that the car is terrible, just that if they want to drop a V8 in the thing....  bring it into the 21st century.

High displacement pushrod V-8's offer higher hp/$.  The are inexpensive, simple, durable, and large displacement V-8's have lots of low and mid range power.  They make it very easy to drive fast in a fleet car situation for hundreds of employees.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/16/ford-police-interceptors-get-official-fuel-economy-ratings-from/

Interesting enough, the Ford V6 w/ the Turbo boost ain't much different than the Caprice with the V8.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Charger Rocks! Ford is stupid for abandoning this market, and Chevy is idy-phucin-odic for calling the Pontiac G8 a "caprice'! How fucking GAY! That's almost as bad as Ford calling the new "Falcon" a "Festiva" or "Fiesta", or whatever the fuck they called it. (PUKE!)

Put all the police in something like this

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/16/ford-police-interceptors-get-official-fuel-economy-ratings-from/

Interesting enough, the Ford V6 w/ the Turbo boost ain't much different than the Caprice with the V8.

AWD eats fuel. Also, does the ecoboost engine require premium gas and/or synthetic oil? If so I don't think it would be a good fleet car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the lineup in Texas:

License & Weight troopers often use pickups

Recruiters use the "graphics" Tahoes

Then we have our 900hp armored patrol boats complete with machine guns:

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice fuckin  boat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

Lots of engines make close to 100 HP / liter, naturally aspirated, etc. Understandably, they are much higher revving, and a cop car is not a race car, the engine has to idle for long periods, and all that...

But that thing is making 59 HP per liter. With a pushrod V8. I KNOW that the V* is "proven" and all that, but for God's sake... the .38 spl. is a "proven" round and reliable as stink in a revolver. But how many PDs use them anymore? Why would they be cool with ancient engine tech?

I am not saying that the car is terrible, just that if they want to drop a V8 in the thing.... bring it into the 21st century.

High displacement pushrod V-8's offer higher hp/$. The are inexpensive, simple, durable, and large displacement V-8's have lots of low and mid range power. They make it very easy to drive fast in a fleet car situation for hundreds of employees.

The only thing that does matter is the mileage. The v-6's get better mileage with decent performance.

AWD eats fuel. Also, does the ecoboost engine require premium gas and/or synthetic oil? If so I don't think it would be a good fleet car.

I believe that just about any production turbocharged motor is going to be a poor police fleet car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what you're saying is you're comparing a production fleet car to performance crate engines and built muscle cars.  Gotcha.

No, what I'm saying is that 355 hp is not that impressive.  There were cars made back in the 60's with this kind of power.  For an interceptor I'd like to see 450+ hp if they're going to spend their money on something that is supposed to be fast.

That car will do upwards of 160 with that 355hp...  If you need faster than that, there is something horribly wrong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#12]

I find it odd that there is a boat that says Highway Patrol on it. Must be hell on the asphalt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
These are basically the same car as the discontinued Pontiac G8 GT.

Good!
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Ground clearance seems rather low to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least they've reduced that "post-menopausal house frau taking a shit on the highway" profile they had back in the 90s.

I'm not sure what that means either but it seems accurate in my head.

Ford probably still rules.  I'm going to assume, with little information, that they made the wrong choice.

AWD... V6 with 250ish HP... unless you get the turbo which puts out 360 + HP.

Sounds like a maintenance nightmare.

Oh, yeah, probably.  What, don't all cop shops have full time crack mechanics with tuner backgrounds?  

Well, from what I have seen, not to many "cop shops" down here have their own auto techs, they just take them to the dealer.

Depends on how big the city is. We have a city garage where they work on police, fire, and various township vehicles.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

Lots of engines make close to 100 HP / liter, naturally aspirated, etc. Understandably, they are much higher revving, and a cop car is not a race car, the engine has to idle for long periods, and all that...

But that thing is making 59 HP per liter. With a pushrod V8. I KNOW that the V* is "proven" and all that, but for God's sake... the .38 spl. is a "proven" round and reliable as stink in a revolver. But how many PDs use them anymore? Why would they be cool with ancient engine tech?

I am not saying that the car is terrible, just that if they want to drop a V8 in the thing.... bring it into the 21st century.

High displacement pushrod V-8's offer higher hp/$. The are inexpensive, simple, durable, and large displacement V-8's have lots of low and mid range power. They make it very easy to drive fast in a fleet car situation for hundreds of employees.

The only thing that does matter is the mileage. The v-6's get better mileage with decent performance.

I believe that just about any production turbocharged motor is going to be a poor police fleet car.

Time will tell.  Something tells me similar thoughts were expressed when they went to automatic transmissions, fuel injection, etc. though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
So many ugly cars...

They could at least reduce the ugliness by painting it the traditional black and white.

I hate the black and white paint scheme. LA can keep that shite.

We're getting away from that.  Not a fan.

We just went back to traditional black and white from all white.

Back to our roots.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They're actually pretty peppy...and the interior room on them isn't bad. It's not as much as an Explorer, but it isn't bad.

They don't have the Vic's 18 dead hooker trunk capacity, though...

Why do I get the queezy feeling that this figure has been determined by actual experience....

It's a sad day when LE vehicles' trunks are reduced in dead prostitute carrying capacity, especially as prostitutes increase in average weight.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got to mess around with one of these a while back.  Roomy, plenty of power, lotsa storage.  If I were sitting on the side of the I71 reading Guns and Ammo while running radar, this would be the way I'd want to roll.  I think the Chargers are a wee bit cramped.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/single199/GTA4POLICEMODS/osptahoe.png  

Local PD got one of those, 300 miles later they totaled it...

Shit happens, that's what insurance is for.

That us tax payers fund, take better care of the equipment my tax money buys you.

Again, shit happens sometimes it's unavoidable.  The law of averages dictates that when you spend that much time driving you will be involved in crashes.  I don't know of ANY cop that's been working for any amount of time that hasn't bent a car in one way or another.  Deer etc take a heavy toll.

I don't know the specifics behind that crash obviously.  If they were doing 120 on their way to coffee then that's obviously different.  

A wrecked cruiser is nothing. We had a guy last year put a brand new $500,000 quint into a ditch at speed and did about $80k worth of damage. Emergency vehicles have a rough life. It's the nature of the business.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nice fuckin  boat.

Not with that shitty center console and bad weather.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

Been trying to find information on what kind of fuel it requires, but haven't been able to find it yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been trying to find information on what kind of fuel it requires, but haven't been able to find it yet.

I think the Taurus SHO (same engine and AWD) says 87 minimum but premium is "recommended."

Premium fuel and synthetic oil are at least de facto requirements, and usually manufacturer required, at least for good operation and longevity on every comparable engine out there, so it's surprising that the Ford would be different. But who knows.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maxima = 12.20 lbs / HP

PPV = 11.05 lbs /HP

I drove a rented F150 Ecoboost for a week a few months ago. Ran it on 87 all week with no problems.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]
One of the big selling points on the Ecoboost is that it isn't Premium Fuel Only (like many of the Nissan) but the longevity of the engine on a steady diet of 87 octane is another story.

Also, Ecoboost is Direct Injection, a configuration which tends to have problems with carbon build up at the sustained idle/low speed conditions police cruisers run.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of the big selling points on the Ecoboost is that it isn't Premium Fuel Only (like many of the Nissan) but the longevity of the engine on a steady diet of 87 octane is another story.

Also, Ecoboost is Direct Injection, a configuration which tends to have problems with carbon build up at the sustained idle/low speed conditions police cruisers run.

I think some of the Lincoln-only ecoboosts required premium, but none of the stuff developed for Ford ever has.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been trying to find one of those.  People aren't selling.

Here you go but not just a GT.  http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=75904&endYear=2013&modelCode1=G8&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1998&makeCode1=PONT&listingType=used&bodyStyles=SEDAN%2CWAGON&transmissionCode=MAN&numRecords=100&searchRadius=300&listingId=315059193&Log=0  

Here's the one  mentioned earlier:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=31887

33K miles, longtubes, hi-flow cats, Yank 3200, runs 11.9s...

$31K

Yeah that one looks pretty nice.  Reasonable price for it, but aftermarket stuff on a car kinda makes me uneasy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#27]
With it's low profile stance I guess in Kentucky the off road, through the cornfield Dukes of Hazzard chases will be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I would think police departments would prefer AWD cars for their poor weather handling ability. Police cars have to be out in the rain, snow, and rough road conditions. Rear wheel drive isn't ideal for that. Maybe Subaru should develop a police car based on the Legacy GT?

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#29]
LOL, a ricer Police Cruiser that needs +$1000 in repairs the first time you slide it over a curb...
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
With it's low profile stance I guess in Kentucky the off road, through the cornfield Dukes of Hazzard chases will be a thing of the past.

I wonder what the numbers would show?  It does often seem like many of today's SUVs merely offer the ground clearance of a sedan from 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been trying to find one of those.  People aren't selling.

Here you go but not just a GT.  http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=75904&endYear=2013&modelCode1=G8&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1998&makeCode1=PONT&listingType=used&bodyStyles=SEDAN%2CWAGON&transmissionCode=MAN&numRecords=100&searchRadius=300&listingId=315059193&Log=0  

Here's the one  mentioned earlier:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=31887

33K miles, longtubes, hi-flow cats, Yank 3200, runs 11.9s...

$31K

Yeah that one looks pretty nice.  Reasonable price for it, but aftermarket stuff on a car kinda makes me uneasy.

If you're looking for an unmolested collector piece, they're out there.

This guy is very anal about his cars and seems to really take care of them. Those parts are some of the best available. If I was in the market for a G8, I'd be thinking about that one. (I think after the Mustang, I'm going Vette...)
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Those are long gone, at least in my area. I have seen one since 2003. The newest FHP cruisers here are the second gen Chargers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A wrecked cruiser is nothing.

Tell that to my (former) Sheriff.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A wrecked cruiser is nothing.

Tell that to my (former) Sheriff.

I think it depends on the circumstance of the crash.

Running through town above the limit not running code: Big deal.

Slide off the road in icy conditions or tweak the frame on a curb in a chase: Shit happens.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Our department traffic guys got away from the Chargers after having problems with them. They have a bunch of unmarked Mustangs, but I like the look of the one marked one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Alabama

http://www.sspcentral.com/features/alabama_javelin.shtml

I think the Montgomery PD's chargers are badass, but I can't find any pictures of them online. Oh well
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Our department traffic guys got away from the Chargers after having problems with them. They have a bunch of unmarked Mustangs, but I like the look of the one marked one.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/mclark202/IMAG0418.jpg

pretty sure that is a V-6

not that it matters though the new six is no slouch

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Police should be issued old restored cars.  Why?  The police should be about EARNING respect instead of oozing arrogance.  Plus, not only would people respect officers they saw driving nicely restored 57 chevys, the police would treat their cars better instead of using them like disposable battering rams and getting into chases at the drop of a cat.  Plus, the taxpayer wouldn't be royally hosed for new cars every other year.  Some occasional body work, paint, and occasional new engines is all the taxpayer would have to pay for.  THIS is part of the reason it would EARN respect (buying super expensive vehicles using tax money, i.e. stolen money, is a form of bragging and only causes the police to be hated and disrespected).
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Police should be issued old restored cars.  Why?  The police should be about EARNING respect instead of oozing arrogance.  Plus, not only would people respect officers they saw driving nicely restored 57 chevys, the police would treat their cars better instead of using them like disposable battering rams and getting into chases at the drop of a cat.  Plus, the taxpayer wouldn't be royally hosed for new cars every other year.  Some occasional body work, paint, and occasional new engines is all the taxpayer would have to pay for.  THIS is part of the reason it would EARN respect (buying super expensive vehicles using tax money, i.e. stolen money, is a form of bragging and only causes the police to be hated and disrespected).

you funny

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
At least they've reduced that "post-menopausal house frau taking a shit on the highway" profile they had back in the 90s.

I'm not sure what that means either but it seems accurate in my head.

Ford probably still rules.  I'm going to assume, with little information, that they made the wrong choice.

Ford's replacement for the CV is a wrong wheel drive (FWD) turd. They screwed the pooch pretty good with their 'Interceptaurus'

The Caprice and the Charger are the only viable choices now. I'm a diehard Ford guy too.

... I also hate what they did to the Explorer. Seriously? Take a body-on-frame, rear wheel drive, optional V8 SUV/light truck, and turn it into a fucking unibody, wrong wheel drive, 4 or 6 banger crossover turdbucket?

The American auto industry has truly shit the bed. Thank you EPA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

A 1957 Chevy costs a helluva lot more than a 2012 Charger.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#42]

This is how we do it in Missouri...
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#44]

No shit!!! I realized that after I posted it...

But, for the sake of argument, I did see a "real" one today out there... They look sleek...
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you guys wouldn't be so inclined to tear up a classic car if you were driving them instead of the more functional, but disposable cars of today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#46]
The N.C. Highway Patrol still has more than a few of the Crown Vics on the road, in addition to the Chargers and Tahoes:

South Carolina has had some interesting choices in "special" vehicles over the years:

And the standard stuff for the SCHP:

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#47]

We have factory Commodores and Falcons (although they have been tuned and beefed up by factory tuning) cars doing over 425hp.  The police get theirs chipped with special "police only" chips.

They should be able to do 0-100km/h in around 5.  Chipped they should be able to do it under 5 seconds

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I will miss the CV, I have ridden in one for 19 years. New generation police vehicles suck. I can tell there are no longer minimum height requirnments to be employed. Now you have to be 5'8 or less to actually fit in the so called full size sedan to actually be comfortable.  Ah the good old days..................
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:36:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you guys wouldn't be so inclined to tear up a classic car if you were driving them instead of the more functional, but disposable cars of today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Because arrogance could never, ever come from anyone driving an ancient "restored" classic car.

Newer cars are safer. Let's stick with those, okay?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top