Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
damn... the more i read this thread the more i want that damn optic!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm well aware.

There are issues with the concept. Dissimilar height over bore (which messes with all sorts of things), interference from lights/lasers mounted at 1:30, lack of QD capability to swap with a QD PVS-14, QD return to zero concerns even if a QD option becomes available, interference with BUIS, etc.

FTS QD magnifiers are more compact, often lighter, easily swap with NODs in seconds, no significant zero concern, are compatible with many BUIS, no funky issues with HOB and offset, no issues with 1:30 mounted accessories partially obscuring the optic...

When Leupold figures out to integrate the thing in-line with the bore into a high mount for an Aimpoint T2, alleviating most of the issues, let me know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone PM'ed me asking for details on the awesomeness of the Chevron reticle and why it's a shame everyone has abandoned it for red dot sights... So I made this stuff to show what I am talking about.

This is the reticle from the Trijicon TriPower:

http://i.imgur.com/UHgieRn.jpg
Looks pretty boring, right?

http://i.imgur.com/hDI5ZgA.jpg
Not so boring now, huh? The above is based on M855 from a 14.5" barrel... It's a few meters off at distance from a 16", but still close enough for practical use.

http://i.imgur.com/mMQ6lU1.jpg
Aw shit, I can range find with this bitch too? Daaaayum.

All of the above is greatly helped by the fact the reticle on the TriPower was VERY crisp, and stayed crisp with a flip to side magnifier. TriPower + 4X EOTech Magnifier = Awesome for shooting at intermediate range.

Chevron's should make a comeback, in green, with crisp emitters (Aimpoint go home), and someone needs to make a quality 6X compact magnifier with quality flip to side mount.
Sounds like a Tripower with Leupy DEVO is what you want.  

Not really. Very different concept.

I'm holding out judgement on the DEVO... Its bulk, concerns about Q/D return to zero (which isn't a significant issue with Q/D FTS magnifiers), oddness of not being in-line with the bore, BUIS interference and many other concerns make me lean towards Q/D flip-to-side magnifiers still.

It doesn't need to be in line with the bore-the reticle skews to the side over distance to compensate for the offset. they did their homework.

I'm well aware.

There are issues with the concept. Dissimilar height over bore (which messes with all sorts of things), interference from lights/lasers mounted at 1:30, lack of QD capability to swap with a QD PVS-14, QD return to zero concerns even if a QD option becomes available, interference with BUIS, etc.

FTS QD magnifiers are more compact, often lighter, easily swap with NODs in seconds, no significant zero concern, are compatible with many BUIS, no funky issues with HOB and offset, no issues with 1:30 mounted accessories partially obscuring the optic...

When Leupold figures out to integrate the thing in-line with the bore into a high mount for an Aimpoint T2, alleviating most of the issues, let me know.

Sounds like your have really high expectations.... Keep in mind that we are talking about shooting man sized targets out to 600 meters, not shooting MOA at 1000. Given that they use the same reticle for both 5.56 and .308 and use a man sized torso for the range finding portion of the reticle, it's pretty clear that the scope has the DMR role in mind rather than being pressed into sniper duty at long range. This thing is intended to help an average rifleman who prefers a RDS reach out when he needs to, not replace a dedicated long range scope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Let's be honest, there is nothing, Nothing in a red dot sight that makes it materially or functionally worth $500. I'm a huge Trijicon fan, but it makes me cringe to hear people on this sight act all happy that this might not be a $900 sight.

I can see a high price on an ACOG or Reflex sight because regulatory costs for working with tritium are high and you are getting something that you can't buy elsewhere, but let's be honest.....putting a decent lens on a waterproof housing and putting electronics that are no more sophisticated than what comes in a primary arms RDS.... the value for money just isn't there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSRP was reported to be $500. Street price may even be lower.

Let's be honest, there is nothing, Nothing in a red dot sight that makes it materially or functionally worth $500. I'm a huge Trijicon fan, but it makes me cringe to hear people on this sight act all happy that this might not be a $900 sight.

I can see a high price on an ACOG or Reflex sight because regulatory costs for working with tritium are high and you are getting something that you can't buy elsewhere, but let's be honest.....putting a decent lens on a waterproof housing and putting electronics that are no more sophisticated than what comes in a primary arms RDS.... the value for money just isn't there.

You talk like you know so much yet the people who actually go to war with these things don't agree with you. How to reconcile these two juxtaposed opinions........
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably pick one of these up if Trijicon will sell them this year with their instructor discount.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll probably pick one of these up if Trijicon will sell them this year with their instructor discount.
View Quote

What is this instructor's discount that you speak? (Feel free to IM me)
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
DEVO sucks.

Mildot or one of the Christmas tree reticles is where it's at.

Dual illuminated sucks when you're using a flashlight in the dark.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DEVO sucks.

View Quote

Dual illuminated could mean a lot of things. If you mean fiber optic and tritium, I agree.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dual illuminated could mean a lot of things. If you mean fiber optic and tritium, I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DEVO sucks.

Yes
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone PM'ed me asking for details on the awesomeness of the Chevron reticle and why it's a shame everyone has abandoned it for red dot sights... So I made this stuff to show what I am talking about.

Not so boring now, huh? The above is based on M855 from a 14.5" barrel... It's a few meters off at distance from a 16", but still close enough for practical use.

All of the above is greatly helped by the fact the reticle on the TriPower was VERY crisp, and stayed crisp with a flip to side magnifier. TriPower + 4X EOTech Magnifier = Awesome for shooting at intermediate range.

Chevron's should make a comeback, in green, with crisp emitters (Aimpoint go home), and someone needs to make a quality 6X compact magnifier with quality flip to side mount.
View Quote

I love my tri-power.  It gets no love from a lot of people but I have found no flaws with mine yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I love my tri-power.  It gets no love from a lot of people but I have found no flaws with mine yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery life... But you don't really need it much.

Buttons could be better.

But every optic currently made is lacking in some way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The real question is if Trijicon is going to make a super-RMR to avoid the buttrape the Deltapoint Pro is going to give them...

If so, they need to announce it right nao, before everyone starts jumping ship...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You talk like you know so much yet the people who actually go to war with these things don't agree with you. How to reconcile these two juxtaposed opinions........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSRP was reported to be $500. Street price may even be lower.

What soldiers bring to war doesn't always reflect the Best of the Best. Things like procurement program life cycles, budgets, etc. dictacte when new equipment is bought, items are handed down etc. As I mentioned before, Trijicon sold the RX01NSN to SF units that had discretionary budgets. The bottom line with Big Army and the Marines is that they want a magnified ACOG instead of an unmagnified ACOG (the Reflex series) and that doesn't mean that the unmagnified sights don't have a place in the world or that they are inferior to what ever else is out there.

And, I know "enough". If you don't like my $.02, I really don't care. I have a lot of experience with DI sights/scopes and Trijicon products (hell, they are about 3 miles from where I am sittin on my couch right now) in particular ,and I don't mind sharing what I know. What are you adding to the conversation?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1) half as much tritium as when it was new does not mean that it is half as bright

2) the tritium falls differently than people think. In 25 years at the "two half life" mark, you aren't out of tritium. You have Half of the original half, or 1/4 of the tritium that the unit was originally filled with. My oldest sight is somewhere around 20 years old now and it is still easy to pick up the dot in a dark room. You can tell it isn't as bright as it's new cousin in the safe, but it is still very, very good considering that it can be picked up and used well past its service life without ever having a battery to change.
View Quote

I find them to dim noticeably within the time frame of an Aimpoint battery life. It's not enough that it just be visible, it has to be of an appropriate brightness to be seen readily against the target with both eyes open. On a bright moonlit night the dot can become hard to pick out pretty readily. Or in some night urban environments, especially with sodium lighting.

That said I do like the tritium concept. I wish there was a more straightforward maintainability to them, as far as a known (and reasonable) price to have the tritium replaced. Also potentially an option for a brighter non-NV compatible version.

I've wondered if changing to a green color might be superior to the amber in this regard.

I have an idea to really improve the usability of some of the sights in some environments/situations. Someday I might even prototype it and see if it works.

I still think the Tripower is a huge lost opportunity. What could be the best product I've seen from Trijicon after the ACOG, but squandered due to poor choices which could be rectified. If it's a sore subject within the company as some claim, why not fix it, instead of leaving it to be sore? Or to go one better, a mini version like this MRO but with tritium & fiber optic along with the chevron reticle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The real question is if Trijicon is going to make a super-RMR to avoid the buttrape the Deltapoint Pro is going to give them...

If so, they need to announce it right nao, before everyone starts jumping ship...
View Quote

I am hoping for a DI version of this MRO. The original Reflex sights are roughly the same size and objective diameter of the Aimpoint micros that are en vogue these days, it is the right time to redo that sight. The RX34/43 that followed are light years ahead of the Reflex II and an update to the fiber optic, lens coatings etc. would be welcome enough on its own. If they were to give this MRO the DI treatment they would really have something because there are design elements from the SRS that would knock it out of the park.

I spoke to one of their employees about this in the bar after SHOT one night, hope they do something with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
P
Quoted:

I find them to dim noticeably within the time frame of an Aimpoint battery life. It's not enough that it just be visible, it has to be of an appropriate brightness to be seen readily against the target with both eyes open. On a bright moonlit night the dot can become hard to pick out pretty readily. Or in some night urban environments, especially with sodium lighting.

That said I do like the tritium concept. I wish there was a more straightforward maintainability to them, as far as a known (and reasonable) price to have the tritium replaced. Also potentially an option for a brighter non-NV compatible version.

I've wondered if changing to a green color might be superior to the amber in this regard.

I have an idea to really improve the usability of some of the sights in some environments/situations. Someday I might even prototype it and see if it works.

I still think the Tripower is a huge lost opportunity. What could be the best product I've seen from Trijicon after the ACOG, but squandered due to poor choices which could be rectified. If it's a sore subject within the company as some claim, why not fix it, instead of leaving it to be sore? Or to go one better, a mini version like this MRO but with tritium & fiber optic along with the chevron reticle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1) half as much tritium as when it was new does not mean that it is half as bright

2) the tritium falls differently than people think. In 25 years at the "two half life" mark, you aren't out of tritium. You have Half of the original half, or 1/4 of the tritium that the unit was originally filled with. My oldest sight is somewhere around 20 years old now and it is still easy to pick up the dot in a dark room. You can tell it isn't as bright as it's new cousin in the safe, but it is still very, very good considering that it can be picked up and used well past its service life without ever having a battery to change.

I don't know that green is the answer.. Like with the other products, to get acceptable contrast in high light conditions, they coat the lenses darker and it hurts the sight in low light. In daylight, the green is attention getting but probably not worth the trade off. Customers can be fickle, a lot of them think a $500 sight ought to give them a blowjob every time they pull it out of the safe, having a sight they can't see thru at 9:30 at night in their back yard would probably go over like a lead ballon on the Internet. I'm surprised nobody complains about the RMR..

Those kinds of complaints were what killed the Tri-Power IMO. The high speed tactical crowd on the Internet had to have a battery, they had to have a red reticle-both of which Trijicon wasn't doing at the time. People wanted sealed tube sights like an Aimpoint, again, Trijicon didn't do that at the time either. So, they came out with a tube style reflex sight and one-upped Aimpoint by putting a multi use Chevron reticle in it to offer some basic ranging and BDC ability. Of course, being a
Trijicon, it had to be dual illuminated so they did that too.  When it came out, people complained that the fiber optic glowed... Well, of course it does. Never mind that
Trijicon includes a rubber bikini cover to prevent people seeing it in the dark. The Tri-Power came out what, fifteen years ago now, and a lot of the components that are needed to make 5000 hour RDSs weren't available at the time, specifically low current drain Integrated Circuits and low current diodes for the reticle illumination. That hurt it a lot, but probably not as much as their battery choice. the only reason I can think they would pick a 2/3N cell was that they needed a lot of voltage to make their power supply work. They use 2 cells in this sight, which meant they needed small ones so that the battery tube didn't dominate the optic. Hind sight is 20/20...

Honestly, the biggest reason that there is no push to remake the Tri-Power is a lack of market interest in sights that size. Everyone wants the mini sights or a really large one and they cover both of those bases with the RMR and RX34/43 and now this new MRO.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]

LOL. Prepared for what?

Better yet trijicon, skip the advertising and use the savings to lower your optics prices.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]
We have pricing and info on the optics, we got to handle one today. They are AWESOME!

Definitely an aimpoint killer and at only $544 with a 1/3 co witness mount I think aimpoint will have to lower their prices to stay competitive

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
pics were taken today by us with an iphone of the actual optic with the mount that is included from trijicon

background was photoshopped for a clean white look so we could post it on our site until trijicon releases hi-resolution photos
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why are people talking about ACOGs and TriPowers?  Is there an opinion the MRO is going to have those features?
View Quote

No, but it should.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We have pricing and info on the optics, we got to handle one today. They are AWESOME!
Definitely an aimpoint killer and at only $544 with a 1/3 co witness mount I think aimpoint will have to lower their prices to stay competitive

Edited...VA-gunnut

https://www.armsunlimited.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2200006-2.jpg

https://www.armsunlimited.com/v/vspfiles/photos/2200006-3.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  That sounds awesome.

ETA:  what did you think of the factory mount?

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Buttons could be better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buttons could be better.

Battery life is the one thing that is stupid on the tri-power, and I agree on the buttons.  I have beat up my tri-power and it is still kicking though and it has worked for me so I will keep it.

Plus it has the Jesus code on it, which gives it a +3 to enrage fedoras.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:39:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Edited...VA-gunnut
View Quote

Mmmmmmmmmm yes.  I like that.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why are people talking about ACOGs and TriPowers?  Is there an opinion the MRO is going to have those features?
View Quote

If the MRO have chevrons I will buy more than 1.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And what optic, other than some EOTechs, uses CR123s?
View Quote

Whoops, you're right, my Aimpoints use 2L76 and the TA02 ACOG takes AA.

They get replaced so infrequently I tend to forget.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]
the mount it comes with is solid but since many people prefer a QD, larue will have a mount out around september 1st as well from what I understand. unfortunately he does not OEM the mounts or sell them to other dealers but theres always that option and I am sure other companies will be releasing QD mounts quickly
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
pics were taken today by us with an iphone of the actual optic with the mount that is included from trijicon

background was photoshopped for a clean white look so we could post it on our site until trijicon releases hi-resolution photos
View Quote

Where's that picture of that line drawn person drooling at his computer?

Thanks for the 411 ArmsUnlimited.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sweet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
at only $544 with a 1/3 co witness mount

Sweet.

I just got da' EMail.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#30]
ArmsUnlimited:
Can you check the dot with magnification to see how it compares to a T2?
With my astigmatism, no dot ever looked great until the T2 came along.  I was waiting for the H2, since I assume Itll be $560 (since the T2 is $625 in many places), but I'd prefer to try this out if it magnifies well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL. Prepared for what?

Better yet trijicon, skip the advertising and use the savings to lower your optics prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL. Prepared for what?

Maybe they're asking aimpoint if they are prepared
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'd buy one at $500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.  Wonder what battery life is like.  Although they need to make a fiber optic/tritium version, then I'd really be interested.
5 years is what's on the spec sheet, rumor has it $500ish is the msrp, but that seems low for retail, street price maybe.

I'd buy one at $500.

Hell yes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#35]
i'd be all over this if I had not just picked up an RX-34a51
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Which LaRue mount will this fit on?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Buttons could be better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buttons could be better.

Not sure I agree.  T2 is pretty much perfect (aside from price)
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Interesting, I was going to grab a T2 the next time I found a deal,  may need to check this out first.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Serious question, what makes the Deltapoint Pro so much better than RMR?

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#40]
im in!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Bolded Changes are the most important.

Change Battery type
Reduce Size
Redesign FiberOptic/Powered Optic Cover
Reduce Battery Usage (the TriPower I had positively ATE batteries)

Various Reticle Choices
Various Reticle Colors
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks

Yeah, I really must be missing something with that one. The integrated rear sight doesn't really do anything for me personally.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Pre-Order, Shipping Begins September 1st...
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buttons could be better.

2MOA dot is bigger than I want. Lack of any added functionality in the reticle when used with a magnifier. Red dot, which means about 1/8th of the male population has difficulty perceiving the dot due to colorblindness.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, I really must be missing something with that one. The integrated rear sight doesn't really do anything for me personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks

Much larger total viewing area, which matters on a pistol. Steel protective hood. Triangle reticle option. Smaller base. Integrated water drain (water will make an RMR non-functional). Top battery replacement. Manual brightness override which doesn't retardedly put the buttons on the side. And the rear sight option is actually pretty kickass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Much larger total viewing area, which matters on a pistol. Steel protective hood. Triangle reticle option. Smaller base. Integrated water drain (water will make an RMR non-functional). Top battery replacement. Manual brightness override which doesn't retardedly put the buttons on the side. And the rear sight option is actually pretty kickass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks

Now if they would just the damn thing in the public's hands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks

You accidentally the damn thing.

Apparently Delta & Friends have decided to buy all the Deltapoint Pro's that will be made for the next 5,000 years...
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why oh why could they not put a damn circle around that dot? ... But I'm still excited to see where this goes.
View Quote

My thought as well if they would put in an led with a circle dot reticle with the battery life of the t1 and the MSRP pf $5-600 they would probably sell better than aimpoint. But they still may we'll see I guess.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am utterly ignorant.

Thanks

Thx
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top