Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This will go nicely on a SCWAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MSRP was reported to be $500. Street price may even be lower.
View Quote

Let's be honest, there is nothing, Nothing in a red dot sight that makes it materially or functionally worth $500. I'm a huge Trijicon fan, but it makes me cringe to hear people on this sight act all happy that this might not be a $900 sight.

I can see a high price on an ACOG or Reflex sight because regulatory costs for working with tritium are high and you are getting something that you can't buy elsewhere, but let's be honest.....putting a decent lens on a waterproof housing and putting electronics that are no more sophisticated than what comes in a primary arms RDS.... the value for money just isn't there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The more I think about it and research it, there's no way this will be less than a $800 MSRP, unless Trijicon is planing on making a big change on how they price there products.

View Quote

Maybe they are seeing that the market I saturated like the AR market is and they want to sell product? It's not like they won't make money at five bills...
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think I'm the only person who likes the Tripower.
View Quote

I'm ok with mine. I'd like it a whole lot more if the Damned batteries weren't dead all the time and they were a bastard size.... The sight itself is really effective and I rarely even need the batteries to power the reticle but as an electronic sight it's not very good because of the current drain, battery choice, and the NV settings are a joke with 3rd gen NOD's because they are way too bright.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Excellent concept, poor execution. Non-std battery w/poor service life, very dim tritium (supposedly for nv compatibility) and the fiber-optic collector glows at night when the battery is being used. Brighten the tritium and go to a CR123 or AA battery and I would reconsider the Tri-Power (but Trijicon's not going to do that, I've already asked).
Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder why that thing never caught on.

Excellent concept, poor execution. Non-std battery w/poor service life, very dim tritium (supposedly for nv compatibility) and the fiber-optic collector glows at night when the battery is being used. Brighten the tritium and go to a CR123 or AA battery and I would reconsider the Tri-Power (but Trijicon's not going to do that, I've already asked).
Tomac

I know a few people who work there,  one of the engineers says that the Tripower is kind of a sore subject around the office. It's too bad because it's really not a bad sight and offers advantages over the standard Reflex sights when they get mud, snow, or water stuck on the back of the lens or in the optical channel. They needed to have Amber be a color option because the red is too dim to pick up easily at night-red ACOGs are the same way, they didn't lower the tritium brightness to work with NVGs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Sell me dat Tripower
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly.

I also suggested a "duo-power" with just higher brightness tritium and the fiber optic and delete the battery system entirely for a lower priced unit. Could even go back to the plastic housing for a budget model.

The chevron aiming point and usability for those with astigmatism, as well as its potential for use without electronics would have netted it some sales if it would have just been more usable. That and it was just priced too high to be competitive. I've mentioned before that the useful life of tritium is barely longer than the useful life of an Aimpoint battery, and it's a whole lot easier to change an Aimpoint battery when the time comes.

Trijicon seems to make many of their products to fish for military contracts (in both design and pricing) and aren't really that interested in pursuing commercial sales opportunities for them. This MRO, with the pricing mentioned in this thread, looks like potentially a winner for the consumer market. I don't own a small Aimpoint, with the high cost and limited field of view I've just stuck with the M3/ML3 types, but this one interests me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Exactly.

I also suggested a "duo-power" with just higher brightness tritium and the fiber optic and delete the battery system entirely for a lower priced unit. Could even go back to the plastic housing for a budget model.

The chevron aiming point and usability for those with astigmatism, as well as its potential for use without electronics would have netted it some sales if it would have just been more usable. That and it was just priced too high to be competitive. I've mentioned before that the useful life of tritium is barely longer than the useful life of an Aimpoint battery, and it's a whole lot easier to change an Aimpoint battery when the time comes.

Trijicon seems to make many of their products to fish for military contracts (in both design and pricing) and aren't really that interested in pursuing commercial sales opportunities for them. This MRO, with the pricing mentioned in this thread, looks like potentially a winner for the consumer market. I don't own a small Aimpoint, with the high cost and limited field of view I've just stuck with the M3/ML3 types, but this one interests me.

Here is the thing about the dual illuminated/Trijicon powered sights: they are bright enogh now that you really don't need batteries. The early models weren't nearly as good as they are now, if they can use the same fiber optic that they use on the RMR and RX34, this will be a rockin little sight if they offer a dual illuminated sight,

you mention that the tritium life is not much longer than the battery on an aim point... The thing is that nobody wears watches anymore. How long will you be able to buy that 2032 for your RDS's? Long after the tritium is gone, that Reflex sight will still be a rockin low light optic. I've used them for years and can't think of a single instance where the reticle brightness was an issue at night and I could identify my target.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe they are seeing that the market I saturated like the AR market is and they want to sell product? It's not like they won't make money at five bills...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The more I think about it and research it, there's no way this will be less than a $800 MSRP, unless Trijicon is planing on making a big change on how they price there products.

Lets hope so, I'm  a big fan of Trijicon and this MRO is exactly what I hoped they would make next.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems like some caps would be a nice addition.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Why?

The adjustments are set below the forging so they should be well protected.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here is the thing about the dual illuminated/Trijicon powered sights: they are bright enogh now that you really don't need batteries. The early models weren't nearly as good as they are now, if they can use the same fiber optic that they use on the RMR and RX34, this will be a rockin little sight if they offer a dual illuminated sight,

you mention that the tritium life is not much longer than the battery on an aim point... The thing is that nobody wears watches anymore. How long will you be able to buy that 2032 for your RDS's? Long after the tritium is gone, that Reflex sight will still be a rockin low light optic. I've used them for years and can't think of a single instance where the reticle brightness was an issue at night and I could identify my target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Exactly.

Ehhh... There are problems with all of that.

Even on the newer fiber optic RMRs and Reflex models, washout is an issue when standing in a dark environment and aiming into a bright environment. "An issue" as in the dot disappears completely.

An adjustable electric optic, or at least one with an electric option (like the TriPower) allows you to adjust the optic to work in high-washout conditions.

Tritium illumination, in the manner Trijicon does it, also has issues with NV compatibility and observability/light discipline in a hostile-NODs environment.

If you want a TEOTWAWKI optic built around complete collapse of the battery industry, the best current solution would be an Aimpoint M4 and rechargeable AAs with a solar charger. An ideal solution not yet made would be a well designed optic which is fiber-optic and solar-electric, with the fiber-optic collector being completely coverable by a secure mechanical means for light discipline (which could also be the electric brightness control knob).

The chevron reticle in a reflex sight is excellent, and I am disappointed Trijicon has abandoned it and no one else has picked it up. Just make it green for absolute perfection.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Don't know.

It just seems wrong not to cover them up.

If they had they'd probably cost $1,300 so I won't complain too much.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, I have one on my Beretta ARX100.  I love it.  I don't understand why the Gen 2 model didn't sell that well.  I get the Gen 1 model....it was junk.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Orig

Even on the newer fiber optic RMRs and Reflex models, washout is an issue when standing in a dark environment and aiming into a bright environment. "An issue" as in the dot disappears completely.

An adjustable electric optic, or at least one with an electric option (like the TriPower) allows you to adjust the optic to work in high-washout conditions.

Tritium illumination, in the manner Trijicon does it, also has issues with NV compatibility and observability/light discipline in a hostile-NODs environment.

If you want a TEOTWAWKI optic built around complete collapse of the battery industry, the best current solution would be an Aimpoint M4 and rechargeable AAs with a solar charger. An ideal solution not yet made would be a well designed optic which is fiber-optic and solar-electric, with the fiber-optic collector being completely coverable by a secure mechanical means for light discipline (which could also be the electric brightness control knob).

The chevron reticle in a reflex sight is excellent, and I am disappointed Trijicon has abandoned it and no one else has picked it up. Just make it green for absolute perfection.

View Quote

The Zeiss Z-point comes pretty close.  It uses solar as long as there is enough sun out but a battery when in doors.  Plenty of room for improvement for it but it will probably fade away into obscurity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Or a S&B short dot. Post shtf, no one is kicking doors.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meprolight makes a chevron reticle reflex sight, the Meprolight M21. They may even make it in green, thought I haven't seen the chevron in green before, only red.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want a TEOTWAWKI optic built around complete collapse of the battery industry, the best current solution would be an Aimpoint M4 and rechargeable AAs with a solar charger.
View Quote

Or you could just buy a half-dozen extra CR-123 batteries. With a five year life that should last you until the battery industry reconstitutes itself. You can probably fit that many into your magpul stock.

Tritium was kind of neat back in the 80's when the alternative was batteries that lasted a few hours. If you've got a battery powered dot that last for five years, what's the point of dicking around with tritium again?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Tritium is radioactive and it appeals to my inner child to have it? That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#20]
500 MSRP makes this a T1 and T2 killer. We'll finally start to see reasonable prices on those products. Smart move by Trijicon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tritium is radioactive and it appeals to my inner child to have it? That's good enough for me.
View Quote

So are bananas. Even more than tritium IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
aren't tier one though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Until they get full of mud, silt, dust, etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:17:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Meprolight makes a chevron reticle reflex sight, the Meprolight M21. They may even make it in green, thought I haven't seen the chevron in green before, only red.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meprolight uses a triangle. Large chevrons are much better than a triangle

With a chevron, I can aim with the top peak, the bottom inside peak, and the imaginary point between the bottom of the two legs of the chevron. I can use the outer width of the chevron, inner width of the chevron or bottom of one of the legs to range find at three different distances... Lots of things to like once you get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That seems ridiculously cheap for a Trijicon product. IIRC even their 1.5x ACOGs are around 1K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read that the MSRP was going to be right around $500 but would likely be found for the mid $400's once they have been on the market for a little while. If true, I'll give one a try.

That seems ridiculously cheap for a Trijicon product. IIRC even their 1.5x ACOGs are around 1K.

What makes ACOG expensive are multiple lenses inside,  theoretically a non-magnified optic should be cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been wondering when someone was going to finally compete with the T-1/T-2. They've been unrivaled for a while now.
View Quote

The threads on T1 really suck,  very easy to ruin them. That is its major downfall and if this thing has better threads like ACOG,  will upgrade just for that reason.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Let's be honest, there is nothing, Nothing in a red dot sight that makes it materially or functionally worth $500. I'm a huge Trijicon fan, but it makes me cringe to hear people on this sight act all happy that this might not be a $900 sight.

I can see a high price on an ACOG or Reflex sight because regulatory costs for working with tritium are high and you are getting something that you can't buy elsewhere, but let's be honest.....putting a decent lens on a waterproof housing and putting electronics that are no more sophisticated than what comes in a primary arms RDS.... the value for money just isn't there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSRP was reported to be $500. Street price may even be lower.

Plus 1

Aimpoint t1 is seriously overpriced,  when for just a little more you can get a much more sophisticated scope like ACOG. Of course I realize they are in different niches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or you could just buy a half-dozen extra CR-123 batteries. With a five year life that should last you until the battery industry reconstitutes itself. You can probably fit that many into your magpul stock.

Tritium was kind of neat back in the 80's when the alternative was batteries that lasted a few hours. If you've got a battery powered dot that last for five years, what's the point of dicking around with tritium again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want a TEOTWAWKI optic built around complete collapse of the battery industry, the best current solution would be an Aimpoint M4 and rechargeable AAs with a solar charger.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]

From thefirearmblog.com

I guess Trijicon has turned a new leaf in terms of pricing, I hope they can make enough of these.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Meh, I'm not too worried about the collapse of the battery industry. If I was, an Aimpoint M4, a dozen rechargeable AAs and a solar charger would be a functional system for decades.

And what optic, other than some EOTechs, uses CR123s? Big Aimpoints use 1/3Ns or AAs, small Aimpoints use CR2032s. TriPower uses 1/3Ns. SRS uses AAs. This new MRO uses a 2032... I think there are some Israeli sights that use CR123s, maybe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#31]

trijicon facebook
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to guess that MSRP is about a billion dollars.  The .gov will print a trillion dollars to buy a few for evaluation then cancel the program, the Russians will buy 5 and claim they have thousands, the rest will be neckbearded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going to guess that MSRP is about a billion dollars.  The .gov will print a trillion dollars to buy a few for evaluation then cancel the program, the Russians will buy 5 and claim they have thousands, the rest will be neckbearded.
View Quote

You could try reading above.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Judging from the MSRP->street discounts on the ACOG, I'm guessing street will be ~$460 or less at the competitive retailers.

This thing is gonna murder the Aimpoint Micro, to the extent that I really think Aimpoint is going to need to drop their prices. Competition is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Someone PM'ed me asking for details on the awesomeness of the Chevron reticle and why it's a shame everyone has abandoned it for red dot sights... So I made this stuff to show what I am talking about.

This is the reticle from the Trijicon TriPower:

Looks pretty boring, right?

Not so boring now, huh? The above is based on M855 from a 14.5" barrel... It's a few meters off at distance from a 16", but still close enough for practical use.

Aw shit, I can range find with this bitch too? Daaaayum.

All of the above is greatly helped by the fact the reticle on the TriPower was VERY crisp, and stayed crisp with a flip to side magnifier. TriPower + 4X EOTech Magnifier = Awesome for shooting at intermediate range.

Chevron's should make a comeback, in green, with crisp emitters (Aimpoint go home), and someone needs to make a quality 6X compact magnifier with quality flip to side mount.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
My TA33 has a red chevron and it is awesome, but it is 3x.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Someone PM'ed me asking for details on the awesomeness of the Chevron reticle and why it's a shame everyone has abandoned it for red dot sights... So I made this stuff to show what I am talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/UHgieRn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hDI5ZgA.jpg

Not so boring now, huh? The above is based on M855 from a 14.5" barrel... It's a few meters off at distance from a 16", but still close enough for practical use.

http://i.imgur.com/mMQ6lU1.jpg

All of the above is greatly helped by the fact the reticle on the TriPower was VERY crisp, and stayed crisp with a flip to side magnifier. TriPower + 4X EOTech Magnifier = Awesome for shooting at intermediate range.

Chevron's should make a comeback, in green, with crisp emitters (Aimpoint go home), and someone needs to make a quality 6X compact magnifier with quality flip to side mount.
View Quote
Sounds like a Tripower with Leupy DEVO is what you want.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. Very different concept.

I'm holding out judgement on the DEVO... Its bulk, concerns about Q/D return to zero (which isn't a significant issue with Q/D FTS magnifiers), oddness of not being in-line with the bore, BUIS interference and many other concerns make me lean towards Q/D flip-to-side magnifiers still.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

when will primary arms offer a version?
View Quote

They already do, and it doesn't need a tool to make sight adjustments.

microdot
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64:
Quoted:

Being honest, a dual illuminated sight is not at its best when shooting out onto a light target area from a dark one.... BUT.... It isn't nearly the issue some here make it out to be. Almost all of my dot sights are dual illuminated sights from Trijicon and Meprolight. In the early days of the Reflex and
Reflex II, I would have agreed with you that it would have been enough of an issue that it might sway me from purchasing. It didn't sway the U.S. Military from buying Reflex II's for some of its high speed units, and it wasn't enough to stop me from buying future models. The sights did improve over time, with contrast improving due to better lens coatings. What I found with the early complaints on those Reflex II's was that people didn't understand what the polarizing filter was for or didn't want to use it because when you set it too dark it acts like an occluded eye gunsight.

Once the Mepro-21 came out, it addressed the Reflex and Reflex II's problem with light gathering and dim reticles. When the RX34 and RMR's came out, ,they not only  beat out Meprolight's ability to gather light for the reticle, but they improved the lens coating contrast and made the Amber reticles more orange and even easier to pick up. I have been running an RX34 on my subgun for about 6 years and have found it to be Fantastic. Zero complaints.

On a side note, I'm also running a Meprolight MOR in some of my guns (was on my AUG, sold it so it's looking for a new home in my safe) and have found it to. Be pretty good. Like the Tri-Power, I rarely have to turn it on-in average daylight it needs to be on setting 3 out of 4 to even notice that the unit is powered up. I'm still testing this sight for overall performance, and have some mixed feelings.... One thing I can say is that it has the best tritium brightness and style for picking up in total darkness, it isn't even close comparing to the other sights.

Getting back to batteries, here's how I look at it: Guns are Forever. Optics are supposed to be Forever. Batteries are bought with the EXPECTATION that they will fail at some point. Most of the time, you'll get advertised life out of them..... Then there are those that die early, and the ones that leak...  I've seen a hell of a lot more EOTech and Aimpoint threads where the batteries leaked and trashed the sight than mechanical or electronic failures. A dimmer than normal reticle when shooting onto a bright target area seems like a small penalty to trade off for a sight that you can mount on a weapon and never have to think about working again. I'll be dead before my Trijicon sights don't have enough Trium left in them to see in total darkness, that's the truth,
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope, I have one on my Beretta ARX100.  I love it.  I don't understand why the Gen 2 model didn't sell that well.  I get the Gen 1 model....it was junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

even the Gen1 is a pretty good optic for what most people use them for. IIRC, these were intended for the LEO market to get them away from Aimpoints, and offered some neat advantages at the time. Honestly, I think the battery type and life is what killed the TriPower, the only other thing I can think about it that sucks as a high speed sight is that it isn't very good as a NV sight. The later metal bodies were better, but it's not like you are under gunned with one of these on a quality rifle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd really like to see that Green reticle Mepro21... The Trijicon RMRs with green dots and triangles have to have really dark coating to get suitable contrast. In daylight they are much better for my eyes than the Amber, but getting toward dusk the coatings are dark enough that you can't see thru the sight and it becomes an Occluded Eye Gunsight. Not the end of the world, but I'd take the trade off and go with the Amber given that they are Damned bright and Amber is easier to pick up in the dark.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people harp on tritium because of its half life because in 12.5 years. It's not that big of a problem for two reasons:

1) half as much tritium as when it was new does not mean that it is half as bright

2) the tritium falls differently than people think. In 25 years at the "two half life" mark, you aren't out of tritium. You have Half of the original half, or 1/4 of the tritium that the unit was originally filled with. My oldest sight is somewhere around 20 years old now and it is still easy to pick up the dot in a dark room. You can tell it isn't as bright as it's new cousin in the safe, but it is still very, very good considering that it can be picked up and used well past its service life without ever having a battery to change.

and again, we get back to the reality of being able to identify a target when it's dark enough that the tritium lights the reticle.... Even with a brand new Reflex sight, they are so good at illuminating the reticle form low ambient light, you won't be able to see your target when the tritium is doing its job. I know, John Rambo gets to shoot the woods up with impunity, but even after SHTF you'll get hanged for shooting the wrong person under the wrong circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Get thy corporate speak gone!

Just say: "how much"?

Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Price point?

+1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One lens cap at best.  And things are most likely to brush against it from the side which is more likely to spin that rheostat than one mounted against the side.  

Just my opinion, but for a CQB sight 1 click to turn it off from any setting makes it more likely to mind fuck you by surprise when you expect a dot to be "in there somewhere" when a threat materializes.  Reorienting your brain to a ghost ring or instinctive technique could cost threat focus and a fatal second when you have to recognize there is no dot first.
View Quote

That was the most operator thing I have ever read here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

With a chevron, I can aim with the top peak, the bottom inside peak, and the imaginary point between the bottom of the two legs of the chevron. I can use the outer width of the chevron, inner width of the chevron or bottom of one of the legs to range find at three different distances... Lots of things to like once you get used to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chevron reticles and triangles are great.....

Until you get older and your eyesight suffers a little. Or put them in front of an NVG.

I started out loving the Chevron, but over time a little astigmatism started making the chevron fuzzy. When taking precision shots, that fuzziness translated into a growing reticle that put my rounds a few MOA low. That problem isn't going to get better with age, and getting LASIK will make the reticle worse with star bursting effect. Remember, guns and optics are bought to last you the rest of your life.... Things might not work out for your eyesight.

Round dots are where it's at for RDSs, if I need to rangefind, I have magnified ACOGs for that. BTW, Reflex sights are ACOGs in Trijicon's product literature and markings on the Reflex sights, even if people don't associate them with their bigger brothers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The D-EVO is a really great concept. I got to play with one in a shoot simulator they had at SHOT this year and liked it a lot.

AFAICS, the only fly in the ointments are no reticle illumination, and the geometry of seeing both your red dot and the magnified reticle (because you have to look down into the D-EVO) mean that your head position has to be perfect on the rifle. If you are off just a little, the magnified reticle disappears.

Not sure what I think about having a lens hanging off the side of my rifle, but I could probably get past it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm holding out judgement on the DEVO... Its bulk, concerns about Q/D return to zero (which isn't a significant issue with Q/D FTS magnifiers), oddness of not being in-line with the bore, BUIS interference and many other concerns make me lean towards Q/D flip-to-side magnifiers still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't need to be in line with the bore-the reticle skews to the side over distance to compensate for the offset. they did their homework.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It doesn't need to be in line with the bore-the reticle skews to the side over distance to compensate for the offset. they did their homework.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm well aware.

There are issues with the concept. Dissimilar height over bore (which messes with all sorts of things), interference from lights/lasers mounted at 1:30, lack of QD capability to swap with a QD PVS-14, QD return to zero concerns even if a QD option becomes available, interference with BUIS, etc.

FTS QD magnifiers are more compact, often lighter, easily swap with NODs in seconds, no significant zero concern, are compatible with many BUIS, no funky issues with HOB and offset, no issues with 1:30 mounted accessories partially obscuring the optic...

When Leupold figures out to integrate the thing in-line with the bore into a high mount for an Aimpoint T2, alleviating most of the issues, let me know.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top