User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What makes this better than an RMR?
View Quote
 Try watching the youtube posted above.  It does a decent job.

Summarized some:

Bigger window
top mount battery
supposed less tint
lock out mode for auto brightness- on or off

I would not necessarily say it is an improvement to (as in gen 3, bigger better much improved), but a different feature set for folks to compare and choose.

As to the comparisons to the latest Aimpoint offering, this is fundamentally an apples to oranges comparison, as the Aimpoint is an enclosed emitter, whereby this SRO is still traditional RMR, with those shortcomings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Must put one on an akv9!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lol open emitters killing operators for years
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think I would. That thing has an exposed emitter and that hood looks like a shit magnet.
Lol open emitters killing operators for years
Don't walk through waist high grass, go into water or rain or snow, or crawl much do you?

I like the top battery compartment. I like the bigger window and hood, I think it is better than the old RMR for long guns.

But something you carry on your waist that acts like a cup in an open holster is a dirt magnet in the real world where it rains, where you get into water, where there are fields of plants that grow above waist high and so on.

The ARCO is a closed sight, you don't need to worry as much about it getting full of stuff/
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Must put one on an akv9!!
View Quote
It could be the sweet spot for PCC optics, something smaller with less housing in the FOV than a T1 or other mini red dot but with a bigger window than other micro dots
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't walk through waist high grass, go into water or rain or snow, or crawl much do you?

I like the top battery compartment. I like the bigger window and hood, I think it is better than the old RMR for long guns.

But something you carry on your waist that acts like a cup in an open holster is a dirt magnet in the real world where it rains, where you get into water, where there are fields of plants that grow above waist high and so on.

The ARCO is a closed sight, you don't need to worry as much about it getting full of stuff/
View Quote
That's a great point, probably will stick to the acro for my duty pistol.  Almost forgot that's the reason I went with that over the RMR to begin with!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seems like most people who use the open emitters a lot either dont notice the obstruction issue or only occasionally notice it on a rainy day.

The Acro look has also really grown on me.  I prefer the square looking optics and Hate the way that SRO looks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks pretty nice, but I'm plenty happy with my RMRs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like most people who use the open emitters a lot either dont notice the obstruction issue or only occasionally notice it on a rainy day.

The Acro look has also really grown on me.  I prefer the square looking optics and Hate the way that SRO looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Arco type optic is going to be the wave of the future for defense and duty pistols.

If I was on the market for an RMR type optic for anything, the SRO would be my pick. The top battery compartment sells itself, the bigger lens is icing on the cake.

The old RMR looks better, but the bigger lens will be popular I am betting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a feeling that they used this as their reference to design the SRO (JK)

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was thinking about this on the drive in. I want a good red dot for one of my M&Ps ... love the size of the window on my Romeo1, and this might actually be slightly larger than that. Like the size of the R1 with the shroud, which isn’t bad at all.

My biggest beef with the RMR was the size of the window- it was too easy for me to lose the dot and have to slew around for it. With work on the drawstroke I can minimize that, but to be “on” I personally really need the larger window. Maybe it’s my monkey arms, I dunno. If these are durable and easy to keep the emitter clean, they’ll sell a ton of them, and possibly one to me if I can find someone to mill my loaded chamber indicator “feature” slide.

All I know is, this is a great time to have a red dot on a pistol.
View Quote
Did you check with Doug at ATei on the slide milling??
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking about this on the drive in. I want a good red dot for one of my M&Ps ... love the size of the window on my Romeo1, and this might actually be slightly larger than that. Like the size of the R1 with the shroud, which isn’t bad at all.

My biggest beef with the RMR was the size of the window- it was too easy for me to lose the dot and have to slew around for it. With work on the drawstroke I can minimize that, but to be “on” I personally really need the larger window. Maybe it’s my monkey arms, I dunno. If these are durable and easy to keep the emitter clean, they’ll sell a ton of them, and possibly one to me if I can find someone to mill my loaded chamber indicator “feature” slide.

All I know is, this is a great time to have a red dot on a pistol.
Doug rocks, he did serrations on one of my M&Ps but he won’t touch the 2.0 slides with active LCI.

I need to trade the slide to someone or just buy a new one. But if the gun is cheap as they are now I may just end up with a new gun to host the red dot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is C-more g2g for HD use?
View Quote
Not for me, but only because of battery life.  It’s not “turn it on and leave it on” like an Aimpoint.  Pretty damn durable though (way tougher than they look).
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a great point, probably will stick to the acro for my duty pistol.  Almost forgot that's the reason I went with that over the RMR to begin with!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would, but you know best what types of situations you are likely to face and which is best. For me, the arco is preferable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't get this trend of keeping the lens close to ejection.  Even if the brass doesn't get it, it gets dirty too fast.  Move that shit back.

I'm sure there's technical reasons for it but this looks like it's moving it even closer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't concur. Poor customer relation with Atei. I take my slide cut somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't concur. Poor customer relation with Atei. I take my slide cut somewhere else.
View Quote
I’d like to know the story. Doug is a solid dude. Haven’t talked to him in a while but he’s a credit to the industry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A flaming homosexual erect giant throbbing penis on my Glock?

Dammit son, WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO?!

I’m in for 3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH MY GOD !!!!!

You're right!  The whole thing looks like a dick.  I see it so clearly now.  Thanks for pointing it out!  What would people have thought about ME if I had a flaming homosexual erect giant throbbing penis mounted on my Glock?
A flaming homosexual erect giant throbbing penis on my Glock?

Dammit son, WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO?!

I’m in for 3
Wait, how do you know the dick is gay?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Is C-more g2g for HD use?
View Quote
I don’t think so. Battery life alone is a deal killer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yup, I'm honestly quite excited for this mounted on SMG's, SBR's, offset, etc. Buuut...

This doesn't look like an upgrade over the RMR for most pistol use, IMO. I'll be waiting for Aaron's abuse of it to see the durability, but without the "wings" of the RMR hood I wouldn't expect it to have as much durability, since from what I've read and seen those help to re-direct forces around/away from the lens. Having to re-cut - or potentially replace holsters depending on design is a bit of an ouch. Some of my holsters have a cant to them, and based on their design I don't know that it could be cut much further down. Additionally, in some cases this design would appear to preclude having your BUIS in front of the optic.

I'm definitely interested to see where this goes, but for pistol/duty use I think I'm going to hold out to see if Ashbury Precision Ordnance is going to start cutting the HK45C for the Acro. If they don't, I'll just go with a Type 2 RM06.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That window size is amazing. Like an updated C-more. Makes the ACRO with it's Terrible Tunnel look dumb.
Yup, I'm honestly quite excited for this mounted on SMG's, SBR's, offset, etc. Buuut...

Quoted:
Looks like it would make a nice little cup to hold water inside a holster. Needs drain holes right at the lens.
Quoted:
So, is the emitter still exposed?  It looks like still might be...
Quoted:
A day of carry with my current MRDS in my shop ends up with it full of dust. Cant imagine how much debris that will collect in a holster in a field.

Does this move the emitter in between two lenses? If not, this is a solution in search of a problem IMO.

ETA: nope....
This doesn't look like an upgrade over the RMR for most pistol use, IMO. I'll be waiting for Aaron's abuse of it to see the durability, but without the "wings" of the RMR hood I wouldn't expect it to have as much durability, since from what I've read and seen those help to re-direct forces around/away from the lens. Having to re-cut - or potentially replace holsters depending on design is a bit of an ouch. Some of my holsters have a cant to them, and based on their design I don't know that it could be cut much further down. Additionally, in some cases this design would appear to preclude having your BUIS in front of the optic.

I'm definitely interested to see where this goes, but for pistol/duty use I think I'm going to hold out to see if Ashbury Precision Ordnance is going to start cutting the HK45C for the Acro. If they don't, I'll just go with a Type 2 RM06.
The wings do help with impact, when on an otherwise squareish design. This optic is an arch, and is inherently superior at dissipating a load over a square. It does have a larger window and a thinner hood, and I’m not sure how that evens out in durability.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Doug rocks, he did serrations on one of my M&Ps but he won’t touch the 2.0 slides with active LCI.

I need to trade the slide to someone or just buy a new one. But if the gun is cheap as they are now I may just end up with a new gun to host the red dot.
View Quote
Copy!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would put you in a solid minority of people, I have seen more than 50 guns/slides done by them...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how those would work with a suppressor on the pistol?

As in could you sight over the can?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
AFAIK, you can with every pistol mounted MRDS currently out there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm looking forward to Aaron Cowan's (sagedynamics)drop test.

Not sure how I feel about it. I like that it's a larger window, but the profile tho.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
You already can do this with most every RDS I know of, except maybe a large can and that super small Euro Doctor thing we talked about awhile back I guess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#27]
It really doesn’t look that much larger than a current RMR, but has a substantially larger window. That’s pretty neat. I really like that they finally have top-loading batteries, but still use the same RMR footprint. Pending durability tests and reviews, I’m pretty interested. I’ll likely get one to try out on my 34, and if it goes well I may pick up a few more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#28]
More interested in this for a PCC or a pistol AR/SBR to be honest.

Tossed on a scalarworks RMR mount, that thing would be pretty legit on a smaller setup.  May have to order one to try for exactly that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Apparently William Petty was involved in testing/development. I think he said theirs had about 10k on it with no failures.

ETA: He said that Trijicon stated they would still push the RMR as a duty model, however, he also said that it'll ruin an RMR for you. It's droppable, etc.

Curious to see what Cowan does to one of these things too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
More interested in this for a PCC or a pistol AR/SBR to be honest.

Tossed on a scalarworks RMR mount, that thing would be pretty legit on a smaller setup.  May have to order one to try for exactly that.
View Quote
Agreed Scalarworks will no doubt be selling them with mounts soon...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That would put you in a solid minority of people, I have seen more than 50 guns/slides done by them...
View Quote
Yep, I seen more than 100 guns including Hudson H9 they had partner with. Dealing with certain ppl there with certain attitude towards us is not somewhere I will spend my money at. That is just me and few ppl I know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
So a C-More?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks gay
View Quote
Yup.

Just like all other pistol MRDS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#34]
fuck yes!  but irons forward pistol people (like me) are sol.

but itll go great on my 9mm sbr
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I asked about window size

Get lectured about presentation and was told I suck at shooting.

Hakius abound...

Now this hits the market...

Ok experts .......

What now?????

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hakius abound...

Ok experts .......

What now?????

View Quote
They were right. Presentation practice helps a TON with finding the dot. At first I fished for the dot, now it just shows up as I press out. A larger window is still better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So a C-More?
View Quote
Basically, with about 2/3 of the length removed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They were right. Presentation practice helps a TON with finding the dot. At first I fished for the dot, now it just shows up as I press out. A larger window is still better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hakius abound...

Ok experts .......

What now?????

See here is the thing....Practice makes perfect in all things..Sex ...Cooking...Mowing the lawn....Shooting......A larger window....Ya it would seem its better after all.....No??
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
See here is the thing....Practice makes perfect in all things..Sex ...Cooking...Mowing the lawn....Shooting......A larger window....Ya it would seem its better after all.....No??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hakius abound...

Ok experts .......

What now?????

I’d sacrifice some window size if it makes for an appreciably smaller optic. Certainly for a concealed carry piece where space is at a premium. Practice can make up for a lot, and with practice one with a smaller optic can easily beat out an unpracticed shooter with a larger optic. Ideally, one would have both the larger optic and practice. Unless space is at a premium, this is a ‘get both’ thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’d sacrifice some window size if it makes for an appreciably smaller optic. Certainly for a concealed carry piece where space is at a premium. Practice can make up for a lot, and with practice one with a smaller optic can easily beat out an unpracticed shooter with a larger optic. Ideally, one would have both the larger optic and practice. Unless space is at a premium, this is a ‘get both’ thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hakius abound...

Ok experts .......

What now?????

I agree...My compromise at this point is the delta point pro....Still in the deciding phase though...Hard to beat the RMR for CCW though isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup.

View Quote
It’s ok... shooting fast and accurately isn’t for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

In your opinion is this window to big? Is this a comp only optic?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ehh... Depends on the application.  For competition it will be the hot shit potentially displacing the DPP as the King of Carry Optics. I'm guessing you'll see these on a lot of Open Guns, too.

For a duty gun worn OWB it'll be just fine. Now, for a concealed carry gun it might be.  However, while it looks large, it's not really all that much larger than an RMR and most of the bulk is added in dead space.

I just backordered a 5MOA to put on a hot rodded G17. If I like it, I'll probably grab a 1MOA for a VZ-58.

We'll see. I'll bet this sucker will be fast. I'll trade bulk for speed but everything for me, including concealed carry, translates back to competition so I have a different perspective.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I do wonder if the window on this is the size of the Romeo1... I have to say the larger size (and additional drawstrokes) helped me take to the R1 window size immediately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I just wish it didn’t overhang, on all of my guns I have irons forward.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ehh... Depends on the application.  For competition it will be the hot shit potentially displacing the DPP as the King of Carry Optics. I'm guessing you'll see these on a lot of Open Guns, too.

For a duty gun worn OWB it'll be just fine. Now, for a concealed carry gun it might be.  However, while it looks large, it's not really all that much larger than an RMR and most of the bulk is added in dead space.

I just backordered a 5MOA to put on a hot rodded G17. If I like it, I'll probably grab a 1MOA for a VZ-58.

We'll see. I'll bet this sucker will be fast. I'll trade bulk for speed but everything for me, including concealed carry, translates back to competition so I have a different perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input..
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#48]
That has to be the ugliest fucking red dot I have ever seen, besides that Aimpoint abortion.  Might as well just go for the Holosun 507c which has a big window and auto shut off and auto on without looking completely retarded.  And also way less expensive.

I use an RMR RM07 right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#49]
This might convince me to get into the MRDS game.

Also, how come nobody uses the Docter optic?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#50]
neva been done before

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top