Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/9/2019 12:37:50 PM EDT
Boom Chaka Laka

It’s Too Late to Ban Assault Weapons
The half-life of military-style rifles ensures they’ll be with us for many generations. Time to deal with the world as it is.
View Quote
With proper care and maintenance, an AR-15 rifle manufactured today will fire just as effectively in the year 2119 and probably for decades after that.

There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States. They are very rarely used in suicides or crimes. But when they are, the bloodshed is appalling.

Acknowledging the grim reality that we will live among these guns indefinitely is a necessary first step toward making the nation safer. Frustratingly, calling for military-style rifles bans — as I have done for years — may be making other lifesaving gun laws harder to pass.

President Trump on Wednesday — touring two mass shooting sites in Ohio and Texas — said that “there is no political appetite” for a new ban of assault weapons. Never mind that a majority of Americans support such a ban.

Short of forced confiscation or a major cultural shift, our great-great-great-grandchildren will live side-by-side with the guns we have today and make tomorrow. That also means that we’re far closer to the beginning of the plague of mass public shootings with military-style weapons than we are to the end. Little wonder that major companies are now including mass shootings in their risk to shareholder filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
View Quote
Not only is confiscation politically untenable — the compliance rates of gun owners when bans are passed are laughably low. The distribution of these weapons across society makes even their prohibition nearly impossible. In 1996, Australia launched a mandatory gun buyback of 650,000 military-style weapons. While gun ownership per capita in the country declined by more than 20 percent, today Australians own more guns than they did before the buyback. New Zealand’s leaders, in the wake of the Christchurch massacre, launched a compulsory buyback effort for the tens of thousands of military-style weapons estimated to be in the country.

For context: In 2016 alone, more than one million military-style weapons were added to America’s existing civilian arsenal, according to industry estimates.

Not only are the number of total guns in America orders of magnitude larger than other nations, the political imagination is far less ambitious. Consider a federal assault weapons ban that Democrats introduced this year. It is purely a messaging bill since there was no chance it will win support from Republicans and become law. Yet even this thought experiment falls far short: The bill bans military-style weapons, except for the millions of military-style weapons already in circulation.
View Quote
My take:  Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.  So, shoot  your AR's all you want, there's plenty more where they came from.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It's surprisingly honest about that point. It was a worthwhile read, especially given the unexpected source.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My take:  Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.  So, shoot  your AR's all you want, there's plenty more where they came from.
View Quote
Maybe so, but they will sure do their best to find a way to make ownership as painful as possible.
Taxes, ammo taxes, fees, UBC, etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope Anderson and PSA keep selling all the low cost low quality items they possibly can.  I want to see these numbers going up, up, up, up for this exact reason.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope Anderson and PSA keep selling all the low cost low quality items they possibly can.  I want to see these numbers going up, up, up, up for this exact reason.
View Quote
Flooding the market is absolutely required, for a number of reasons. Namely upcoming legal challenges - "common use."
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
An actual rational editorial in the NYT that concerns guns?

I'm guessing that for an editor at the NYT, that's roughly equivalent to arfcom account suicide via Cockpocalypse #(whatever number is next in line).

Suicide by senior editor?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
e. In 1996, Australia launched a mandatory gun buyback of 650,000 military-style weapons.
View Quote
They banned a lot more than military style weapons.

Lots of people didn't bother turning them in.

There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States.
View Quote
It's gotta be higher. There's like 500m guns in the US and only 15m are MSRs?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
He doesn't mention something that will become even more important in the future:  3D printing.

Eventually the technology will exist for people to just print AR-15's at home.  Then they will try to restrict 3D printing.  Then something else will come along.  We may be shooting Plasma Rifles in the 40-Watt range before the AR-15 finally dies the death.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
"Never mind that a majority of Americans support such a ban."

Citation needed.  Last I checked, the country was bitterly divided on such a ban.  Never mind that this author is a lying sack of shit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe so, but they will sure do their best to find a way to make ownership as painful as possible.
Taxes, ammo taxes, fees, UBC, etc.
View Quote
The gun owner control bills will not stop.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Flooding the market is absolutely required, for a number of reasons. Namely upcoming legal challenges - "common use."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yup. agree 100%. makes it harder to get them banned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He doesn't mention something that will become even more important in the future:  3D printing.

Eventually the technology will exist for people to just print AR-15's at home.  Then they will try to restrict 3D printing.  Then something else will come along.  We may be shooting Plasma Rifles in the 40-Watt range before the AR-15 finally dies the death.
View Quote
I've thought about buying a ghost gunner and I have lowers I don't know what to do with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's surprisingly honest about that point. It was a worthwhile read, especially given the unexpected source.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
3-D printing in metals and ceramics already exists, of course.  And it's relatively expensive.  But it'll get cheaper and more readily available in the years to come.

The day will come when having a 3D printing system that can handle ceramics and metals and plastics and other sprayable/formable materials, with a good sized work envelope,
will become that a serious hobbyist will be able to buy at a reasonable price.   It'll be the equivalent of a guy who today has a knee mill and a decent lathe.

And when that day comes,  and as the technology improves, you'll be able to make durable, strong, safe, workable guns just by pushing the RUN button on the controller,
and keeping the materials hoppers full.

Eventually even surface finishes will improve to such an extent that for most part, secondary machining won't even be necessary except on critical part surfaces.

The day will come when even barrels are made by additive metallurgy processes.  They may need lapping after being made, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
No shit, huh?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't stop the signal!
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy Shit! One person at least can see reality for what it is!

ETA: only 15 million? There's AT LEAST probably triple that!
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
And this is where we should appreciate PSA for what they have done in making AR's so commonplace.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Mass shootings get far more Press coverage. Yet account for an extremely small fraction of actual shootings in America.

And it's a commonly held belief that the vast majority of mass shootings are done by white people.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Like it or not we are seeing a shift from banning items to simply making them ridiculously difficult to buy.

That is where the smart money is.

The left wants to make your entire life public record and searchable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Mid-way through the article:

"forced confiscation or a major cultural shift"

In a nutshell, what the left desires to accomplish!
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kinda hard to say it's "not in common use" when there are over 15 million of them legally owned in citizen hands and over 1 million are sold a year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The day will come when having a 3D printing system that can handle ceramics and metals and plastics and other sprayable/formable materials, with a good sized work envelope,
will become that a serious hobbyist will be able to buy at a reasonable price.   It'll be the equivalent of a guy who today has a knee mill and a decent lathe.
View Quote
The work envelope size is a moot point. They make printers that print in X-Y, with Z as a conveyor belt. Limitless in one dimension.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Boom Chaka Laka

It’s Too Late to Ban Assault Weapons
The half-life of military-style rifles ensures they’ll be with us for many generations. Time to deal with the world as it is.
View Quote
With proper care and maintenance, an AR-15 rifle manufactured today will fire just as effectively in the year 2119 and probably for decades after that.

There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States. They are very rarely used in suicides or crimes. But when they are, the bloodshed is appalling.

Acknowledging the grim reality that we will live among these guns indefinitely is a necessary first step toward making the nation safer. Frustratingly, calling for military-style rifles bans — as I have done for years — may be making other lifesaving gun laws harder to pass.

President Trump on Wednesday — touring two mass shooting sites in Ohio and Texas — said that “there is no political appetite” for a new ban of assault weapons. Never mind that a majority of Americans support such a ban.

Short of forced confiscation or a major cultural shift, our great-great-great-grandchildren will live side-by-side with the guns we have today and make tomorrow. That also means that we’re far closer to the beginning of the plague of mass public shootings with military-style weapons than we are to the end. Little wonder that major companies are now including mass shootings in their risk to shareholder filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
View Quote
Not only is confiscation politically untenable — the compliance rates of gun owners when bans are passed are laughably low. The distribution of these weapons across society makes even their prohibition nearly impossible. In 1996, Australia launched a mandatory gun buyback of 650,000 military-style weapons. While gun ownership per capita in the country declined by more than 20 percent, today Australians own more guns than they did before the buyback. New Zealand’s leaders, in the wake of the Christchurch massacre, launched a compulsory buyback effort for the tens of thousands of military-style weapons estimated to be in the country.

For context: In 2016 alone, more than one million military-style weapons were added to America’s existing civilian arsenal, according to industry estimates.

Not only are the number of total guns in America orders of magnitude larger than other nations, the political imagination is far less ambitious. Consider a federal assault weapons ban that Democrats introduced this year. It is purely a messaging bill since there was no chance it will win support from Republicans and become law. Yet even this thought experiment falls far short: The bill bans military-style weapons, except for the millions of military-style weapons already in circulation.
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I contend that it is not too late based on the number of weapons already in circulation, rather, the convictions of the number of individuals not willing to abide by any confiscatory laws.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder what they are going to bitch about when directed energy weapons are a thing?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#28]
State-by-state is the plan against us
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m surprised this didn’t disappear like the global warming being caused by the sun article.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Where's the video by the owner of PSA where he says he wants to make ARs so common they are impossible to ban?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Hard to believe they're publishing the 15M number.

There's a lot more than that, but they used to report it as a fringe weapon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Flawless Palmetto State Armory victory
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#33]
That number may for complet rifles and not stripped lowers and kit forms.  They are not even counting in 80% kits
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Hell yeah it will. My No1Mk3* is 100 years old this year, and an AR-15 is more durable than that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They banned a lot more than military style weapons.

Lots of people didn't bother turning them in.

View Quote
Much higher.
15 million was a number sold since the AWB ended, and is out if date by several years.

ETA: 500 million is.low.
Very low.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
3-D printing in metals and ceramics already exists, of course.  And it's relatively expensive.  But it'll get cheaper and more readily available in the years to come.

And when that day comes,  and as the technology improves, you'll be able to make durable, strong, safe, workable guns just by pushing the RUN button on the controller,
and keeping the materials hoppers full.

Eventually even surface finishes will improve to such an extent that for most part, secondary machining won't even be necessary except on critical part surfaces.

The day will come when even barrels are made by additive metallurgy processes.  They may need lapping after being made, though.
View Quote
Shit-shovel AK laughs at your bloated, decadent, capitalist 3D printer
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 16M is the NSSF estimate from 1990 through 2017 - so no 80s, flats, all of the AKs and FALs built in the 90s, all the AKs and SKSs out there from before 1990.  There's a lot unaccounted for.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's low.  I would estimate at least 18m since the '94 ban expired.  No idea how how many existed prior to 1994.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Has been since they failed in 2012.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’m surprised this didn’t disappear like the global warming being caused by the sun article.
View Quote
That was an excellent article.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#41]
In-fucking-shallah.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That number may for complet rifles and not stripped lowers and kit forms.  They are not even counting in 80% kits
View Quote
That’s what I’m thinking. Sold as a rifle and not an ar pistol or stripped lower
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's the video by the owner of PSA where he says he wants to make ARs so common they are impossible to ban?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eQGOCHsi4
His line from that video has been featured in their local TV commercials here in upstate SC.

Thanks, Mr. McCallum.  You're a real hero of freedom!  It's been an honor to give you so much of my hard earned money to receive so much value (and beyond just the material value) in return.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

yup. agree 100%. makes it harder to get them banned.
View Quote
And since every single one of those rifles essentially shipped with a 30-round magazine, along with all modern handguns for the last 10 years with very few exceptions shipping with 15-round or greater magazines, high capacity magazines are in common use and therefore protected.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#45]
They don't need to ban rifles all they need to do is ban half the people from ownership
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]
The NYT had proven that even a broken clock gets the correct time at least once a day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#47]
THERE'S the Asian chick.  Wondered what happened to her.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
True that.  Get back on the clock, everybody.  Fight's not over yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Back in the 1990's it was  "niche" firearm.  I can't tell you how many times I was asked, "What do you need a gun like that for?"

My favorite was:  "Those are man-killers.  What do you want that for?"

My response:  "You just said it."

Can't tell you how many times I watched the blood drain from someone's face after I said that.

But my all-time, never gets old favorite is:

When the subject of Fifty-caliber sniper rifles comes up and some Fudd says, "What do you hunt with that?"

My answer was always, "Semi's."

JOKING....JOKING.

Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Their line of "The majority of American's support an AWB" smells like bullshit. If it were true they'd call for an outright ban on civilian ownership and an immediate confiscation or turn in with anyone not doing it a felon after a short period of time.

But very few on the left are doing that. Even the nutcases among the 2020 hopefuls aren't going that far. They couch it behind terms like "buy back". If the support they claim exists they wouldn't have to do that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top