Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why move to the South?  The heat/humidity in the summer is miserable, I would rather put up with a few cold months.
View Quote
I used to think this but the older i get the winters get harder. Will probably end up in OK or TX.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why move to the South?  The heat/humidity in the summer is miserable, I would rather put up with a few cold months.
View Quote
Its not about a few cold months.  Its the gray, dreary, depressing weather for a solid 4 months of the year.  You dont want to leave the house, you dont want to go outside,  you dont want to shovel the car out to go to the gym, you dont want to look at the miserable gray skies another time.  You get out of all your good routines.  You stop being active.  You quit going to the gym.  You quit doing any outdoor activities.  So you sit on the fucking couch, you stuff your face, you get fat, and you hate your life.  And thats every winter.  Sweating your ass off during the summer isnt as bad because you can atleast go to the gym/ lake/ beach/ walk in the evenings.  And even if you dont you can still get some sunlight so your moods dont go to shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the snakes! Don't forget the snakes! Copperheads and Water Moccasins are common in city parks, back yards and golf courses. Rattlesnakes usually don't get into your house though...usually. 

Alligators on all of the golf courses, coyotes in every neighborhood, eating your dogs. Spiders...they don't have black widows, tarantulas and brown recluse up north...we have them down here. Fortunately the scorpions keep them from getting too out of hand though. Then there's the twisters, floods, KKK...you don't want to come south. It's the worst. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And the snakes! Don't forget the snakes! Copperheads and Water Moccasins are common in city parks, back yards and golf courses. Rattlesnakes usually don't get into your house though...usually. 

Alligators on all of the golf courses, coyotes in every neighborhood, eating your dogs. Spiders...they don't have black widows, tarantulas and brown recluse up north...we have them down here. Fortunately the scorpions keep them from getting too out of hand though. Then there's the twisters, floods, KKK...you don't want to come south. It's the worst. 
View Quote
We have all that minus the scorps and water mocs
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I see claims of that a lot on here, but I think how often it actually happens is quite exaggerated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can honestly say that I've never heard a single person say "I wish I could move to Georgia!" so that should be pretty easy.
A lot still come here. A lot. And the first fucking words out of their mouths are,  that ain't the way we did it back home. Fuck them and their back home shit.
I see claims of that a lot on here, but I think how often it actually happens is quite exaggerated.
Happens quite ofte. Especially New Yawkers and Jersey Boys.
I am a 40 year Yankee transplant who never felt home anywhere until I landed in Texas.
I was probably guilty of doing it once or twice early on but old timers set me straight pdq.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:35:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at demographics, not states.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just so you know, every stereotype you've heard about Alabama is true.  We run about bare footed, marry our sisters, and constantly spit tobacco.

You wouldn't like it here.
View Quote
I had an ex in Texas that grew up in Springville, Alabama. We went to visit her family there. Its beautiful there. I thought of all the things I could change there with my Yankee big city thinking but we had to go back.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They will turn Florida in just a few years
View Quote
We moved from Nevada to Florida in 1960.

We were there about 6 months before I discovered what I THOUGHT was a Florida accent was actually a NY/NJ accent -------------- (ah being a yout)...

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They do not come to flee. They come to recreate what they claim to have left. I have seen first hand, over decades what the NY/NJ metro crowd does to an area.
They ALL claim to be "different than the others", but in reality they are all exactly the same and bring the same with them.

I do not wish it on anyone.
View Quote
Bingo.

The vast majority are useless asshokes who seek to replicate their same bullshit that broke their states in the first place..

"But in NY..."
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't bother. Education is not the South's strong suit.
View Quote
Nor is the north seeing the useless shits you guys send here or the way you've run things into the ground up there
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Really?  How do your gun laws compare to NH and ME?
View Quote
And Vt? Except we've always done it correct - glad NH and ME finally caught on! 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its not about a few cold months.  Its the gray, dreary, depressing weather for a solid 4 months of the year.  You dont want to leave the house, you dont want to go outside,  you dont want to shovel the car out to go to the gym, you dont want to look at the miserable gray skies another time.  You get out of all your good routines.  You stop being active.  You quit going to the gym.  You quit doing any outdoor activities.  So you sit on the fucking couch, you stuff your face, you get fat, and you hate your life.  And thats every winter.  Sweating your ass off during the summer isnt as bad because you can atleast go to the gym/ lake/ beach/ walk in the evenings.  And even if you dont you can still get some sunlight so your moods dont go to shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The obesity chart posted on page one seems to counterdict your argument. I know people who have went south with that same thought - almost all within 5 years are back crying about all the negatives down south. Those that went South without that attitude are still there. My small sample size leads me to think miserable people will be misserable anywhere. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6 more years...
View Quote
8 for me.. But we are already looking for another house or a condo in central florida.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same with Georgia. We are fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They will turn Florida in just a few years
Same with Georgia. We are fucked.
yup....here I come WY
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a financial driver.  Retired School Teachers and Cops from NY are paid what amounts to a decent salary in the South, and at the same time cut the bleeding away from Property Tax rates by 60-80% or more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In before Extorris
View Quote
Forget the state, I just moved to your town.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They like Californians should not be allowed to flee the mess they created, but it is obvious why they are doing it Democrats never ever take personal responsibility for anything in life.
View Quote
California was fine before too many New Yorkers moved here and messed it up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I feel your pain
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I spent some time there in So Cal back in 1978..it was the land of the fruits and nuts then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nor is the north seeing the useless shits you guys send here or the way you've run things into the ground up there
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bother. Education is not the South's strong suit.
Ah, the classic "I know you are, but what am I?" gambit!

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Forget the state, I just moved to your town.
View Quote
Ha.  I'm a transplant here too, I just picked the right county the first time.

Itink you'll like it here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#22]
The real problem is all the Northerners moving south make it more expensive for those that grew up here. Fix your own problems that plague your states and leave ours alone. Some move for weather, but I usually hear about cost of living the most. It's like having your favorite fishing spot and now everyone else has fished their spot out and moves to yours.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Every single year, I become more and more convinced that we need to divide the state. Somewhere around Ocala, maybe.

We have a North and South Carolina, and a North and South Dakota, and those work well. North Florida and South Florida sounds wonderful. The yankees can stay in Palm Beach and WTFever else is down there and ruin THEIR lives while leaving North Florida relatively untouched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and I spent a few days in/around Ft. Myers, Florida in March. I was astonished at how much development was underway, and at how bad the traffic was. :)
That is my travel spot every winter.

The place has changed quite a bit in just the last few years.

Still prefer Ft. Myers to Naples though.
Every single year, I become more and more convinced that we need to divide the state. Somewhere around Ocala, maybe.

We have a North and South Carolina, and a North and South Dakota, and those work well. North Florida and South Florida sounds wonderful. The yankees can stay in Palm Beach and WTFever else is down there and ruin THEIR lives while leaving North Florida relatively untouched.
I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Go back home!
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you guys realize NYC and Albany politics are what fuck NY up? Most of the state is actually great other than the nazi gun laws
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
The native Floridian's dream is to see all the Canadians traveling back north, with a Yankee under each arm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you guys realize NYC and Albany politics are what fuck NY up? Most of the state is actually great other than the nazi gun laws
View Quote
It's depressing that the cards are stacked so heavily against you in every election. Most of the state is sick of the shit but we get drown out by nyc. Mob rule.

If i didn't make above average money in a low cost of living area id be gone. Probably be out when I retire.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The ones who want to flee the oppression are welcome.

The ones who want to spread the oppression should fuck off.
View Quote
the woman in this story was a former NY school teacher.  wanna bet which of these she falls into
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's crazy here in AZ. A lot of northeasterners and Californians lately, more than the usual. 
View Quote
downstate is still way over populated.  unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And you church goers............

All of our church services are primitive snake handling services. No traditional or contemporary services here!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/300px-Snakehandling.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so you know, every stereotype you've heard about Alabama is true.  We run about bare footed, marry our sisters, and constantly spit tobacco.

You wouldn't like it here.
And you church goers............

All of our church services are primitive snake handling services. No traditional or contemporary services here!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/300px-Snakehandling.jpg
and you have orange dirt - no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bingo.

The vast majority are useless asshokes who seek to replicate their same bullshit that broke their states in the first place..

"But in NY..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not come to flee. They come to recreate what they claim to have left. I have seen first hand, over decades what the NY/NJ metro crowd does to an area.
They ALL claim to be "different than the others", but in reality they are all exactly the same and bring the same with them.

I do not wish it on anyone.
Bingo.

"But in NY..."
We saw about 200,000 of them move into our county of what used to be about 70k over a 30 year period. In that time, crime went rampant, we saw our first carjackings and murder didn't even shock us anymore. Funny.....it was never a local name you'd recognize making the news. The roads filled with graffiti and garbage. The schools, once highly rated, went to shit.

OHHH! But ALL of them SWORE they moved there to "get away from all of that". ALL of them SWEAR that THEY aren't the ones bringing the problem.

The problem is, that 100% of them all say the same thing. And 100% are lying.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Back in NY, we didn't have overly dramatic threads like this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's a hint, Andrew Cuomo, you giant fuck....

New Yorkers aren't leaving because they  are flocking to the sunshine...   They are being driven out of the state because NY State Govt treats the average citizen as if he were a medieval serf.  Its all indentured servitude....  Insane taxes, massive unfunded state mandates that cripple local economies, and a governor (fuck you, you fucking fuck!) who simply opts to ignore things like Constitutional Rights.......  

ANYONE, I mean anyone, with any options at all, is packing up and moving.  The only people left behind are welfare bums, the disabled, and the elderly. And its not "all of New England"...  The unemployment rate in this area of NY is running 9-10%...    But its near 0% in parts of lower Maine, New Hampshire, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Dear New York people. Florida is not nearly far south enough. Please keep going further south, let me suggest South America.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is it really that bad there? The wife works in Roanoke and we'll be moving there in a few years.
View Quote
IM Sent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I spent some time there in So Cal back in 1978..it was the land of the fruits and nuts then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent some time there in So Cal back in 1978..it was the land of the fruits and nuts then
10 years earlier you would have found a few hippies but mostly a population of hard-working normal people.  Lots of WWII veterans running things, much lower taxes and less intrusive government by far.  1978 was an interesting year in that we the real people put serious caps on property taxes, and made it much more difficult for the state to create new taxes or raise existing ones (i.e. Proposition 13.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Sorry Southerners, I have suffered with too many fucking libtards up here for way too long...........your turn now!!

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My wife and I spent a few days in/around Ft. Myers, Florida in March. I was astonished at how much development was underway, and at how bad the traffic was. :)
View Quote
West coast traffic is worse than east coast right now..
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think Hawaii says it best

http://www.randombio.com/license-plate-hi2.png

short and to the point.
View Quote
Ha! Hawaii is a democrat cesspool.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
yea, trees are nice...lakes are OK..but a New England conservative is a Texas Liberal and not in the classic sense..
being a hard line Texican transplant conservative with 40 years of solid Texas conservative values in my brain and
having family in NY State, Mass and Conn....who are "republicans" I scoff....and will continue to hold my doubt
that a current transplant to Texas will NOT be my kind of Republican Conservative...until proven wrong,
Be aware, I've only met Ten in 40 years and I am pretty involved in politics.....

major issue tends to be,,the Yankee conservative who leans right of center comes south and votes conservatively
BUT they tend to bring wives who do not, along with related kin who say, hey its pretty nice here, I should move
down there with my liberal ideas and democrat vote and fuck the whole thing up,,now THAT I have seen a boatload
of.. We turned the state red with a lot of hard pushes nearly 30 years ago and are carrying a lot of weight
for the republican'ts...but the wont listen..
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I really do hate the northeast and everything it stands for.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Sorry Southerners, I have suffered with too many fucking libtards up here for way too long...........your turn now!!

View Quote
That's okay.
We have chiggers.
I'm just thankful chiggers cannot fly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree completely. Wyoming has PLENTY or real estate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's a reason there is a stereotype, I know. I'm part of it

Take your liberal, carpet bagging, yankee ass back where it came from
View Quote
Are you speaking to arfcommers, or are you just shouting at the clouds?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a reason there is a stereotype, I know. I'm part of it

Take your liberal, carpet bagging, yankee ass back where it came from
That's what's always funny about these threads. The people they're talking to, aren't here to read their protests. Save for a minuscule group of members who are actually lefties.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Soon, Florida, Soon...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's crazy here in AZ. A lot of northeasterners and Californians lately, more than the usual. 
View Quote
Depressing isn't it.

Kaliyorkins
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Neighbors across the street were born and raised in Detroit.  Came to Georgia about 25 years ago with two young children and another birthed soon after.  They listened.  They observed. They learned to process the intelligence hidden in the dialect.  The wife was the last to turn--even after the children. They visit Detroit but will never return. They're republicans, conservatives, whatever one should call them.  I just call them politically aware.

My next cubicle neighbor at work is a Seattle migrant.  Same as the above description of the Detroit Yankees.  

I could go on and on.  Demographic Is a FAR more reliable agent of political prediction than geography.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#49]
love how those faggots bring their liberal bullshit down here

thanks for fucking up charlotte

drive your 3 series bmws into a lake and take your shitty attitudes with you
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't forget districting. The NY political machine is set up so that one body of the state legislature will always be dominated by NYC liberal democrats. There is no chance of the dems ever losing the state assembly. That's by design.

On the other hand, despite this, too many people don't see the problem with that one party monopoly and continue to vote for more of it instead of voting against it. They don't even think about it, much less commit to a statewide effort to attempt to oppose it.

Or they don't vote at all.

Or maybe the entire election process in NY is a complete rigged sham. I have no idea. Schumer acts like there are no elections and doesn't even campaign. He ain't worried.

Splitting the state (it is bigger than CT, MA, VT and NH combined) could correct some of this. But that will only happen if NYC wants it to happen.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top