Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/25/2023 10:12:31 PM EDT
Here's the teaser shot:

Based on the 4th Gen Tacoma, we have a pretty good idea what the platform and drive train are going to be.

I think there's a pretty good chance these come standard with the hybrid engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/25/2024-lexus-gx-teaser-reveal-date/
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Going with the EV style lights I see..
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Was behind an LX600 yesterday.  Real boxy looking from the rear.  GX looks to be following that trend.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet it's getting the TT v6 from the Tundra rather than the TT I4 from the Taco?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll bet it's getting the TT v6 from the Tundra rather than the TT I4 from the Taco?
View Quote

That might be possible, but I'd give it a thin chance.

In general, the GX is more closely related to the Tacoma and 4Runner while the LX shares underpinnings with the Tundra and Sequoia.

The i-FORCE MAX hybrid I4 turbo is rated for 326 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque. I would guess Toyota sees that as a great replacement for the 4.6L V8 with 301 hp and 329 lb-ft.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
No rear window rolly down and no v8 no care, might as well just get the 4Runner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard pass... I'll stick woth my good ol trusted 4.6l...
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Will the tech be from 2006 this time?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't the GX the US version of the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m curious about it but won’t be trading in my 2022 for one of them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes,  I have a 2023 in the driveway.  I wanted the 23 before the 24's come out.   They will be moving away from the V8
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In general, the GX is more closely related to the Tacoma and 4Runner while the LX shares underpinnings with the Tundra and Sequoia.

The i-FORCE MAX hybrid I4 turbo is rated for 326 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque. I would guess Toyota sees that as a great replacement for the 4.6L V8 with 301 hp and 329 lb-ft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't the old gx460 have the... 4.6l v8? And a 6 speed transmission? Both things the previous Tundra had.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
does this mean 2020/2021s will be dropping into the low $30s
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be on the lookout for a 2013-2015 w/~100k for low $20's.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe in 5 years, they'll be down that low.  $30k for that now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely false.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
4Runner for straight men.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

You lost your chance at cheap GX's a few years ago before people discovered them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m leaning TT V6…this is based on insider info but what do they know
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Got a 23 last week. Wanted the V8.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically true but lotta convergence - body on frame are now GA-F, tho I agree GX has always followed closer to 4Runner in the US. Engines been a key differentiator - outside the N210. Could go either way but I doubt the GX get lined up down market with with NX, RX T24A.

The LS and LX, which the GX has always associated, already have the V35A so seems likely, but it's tension between creating upmarket cache versus CAFE efficiency - obviously  GX buyers have never been moved by efficiency tho. My bets i-Force Max hybrid V6 but I see your point with similar power.  Still feel the upmarket attachment prevailed. Very likely could split - T24A i-Force Max Base, V35A i-Force Max Premium, I but there's some risk created with undifferentiated lumps - regardless if there's a V35A it will be detuned. It'd make sense the TX gets the T24A, and the GX the V35A.

Might as wel add the May 8th Lexus Pressroom teases

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The current GX (the 460) is. The previous one was a 4Runner that had the V8 and was gussied up, that Gen 4Runner in Asia was called the Hilux Surf (as were the previous ones) but it was different than the Prado which existed along side it. The Hilux Surf is gone afaik.

The Japanese market had some really cool accessories (including Toyota branded stuff) for the Surf. Nets to hang stuff inside, I think there was even a hammock for in interior.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Didn't the old gx460 have the... 4.6l v8? And a 6 speed transmission? Both things the previous Tundra had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 4Runner also once had the 4.7L 2UZ-FE V8.

The volume engine for the Tundra was the 3UR-FE 5.7L V8. That engine was also seen in the Land Cruiser, the Sequoia, and the LX, but to my knowledge, it was never offered in the GX.

I don't think the 4.6L V8 has been offered in anything except the GX for several years. It's something of an orphan.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The 4Runner also once had the 4.7L 2UZ-FE V8.

The volume engine for the Tundra was the 3UR-FE 5.7L V8. That engine was also seen in the Land Cruiser, the Sequoia, and the LX, but to my knowledge, it was never offered in the GX.

I don't think the 4.6L V8 has been offered in anything except the GX for several years. It's something of an orphan.
View Quote

The GX470 had the 4.7l V8.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]
somewhere is a big inline 6 with a turbo
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:33:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Historically true but lotta convergence - body on frame are now GA-F, tho I agree GX has always followed closer to 4Runner in the US. Engines been a key differentiator - outside the N210. Could go either way but I doubt the GX get lined up down market with with NX, RX T24A.

The LS and LX, which the GX has always associated, already have the V35A so seems likely, but it's tension between creating upmarket cache versus CAFE efficiency - obviously  GX buyers have never been moved by efficiency tho. My bets i-Force Max hybrid V6 but I see your point with similar power.  Still feel the upmarket attachment prevailed. Very likely could split - T24A i-Force Max Base, V35A i-Force Max Premium, I but there's some risk created with undifferentiated lumps - regardless if there's a V35A it will be detuned. It'd make sense the TX gets the T24A, and the GX the V35A.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0200_jpeg-2829131.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0199_jpeg-2829125.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a better argument.

If Lexus still offered the GS, I'd probably look at that as a point of reference, too. The LS seems like too much of a low volume flagship to me at this point. I don't think it sells enough units to hit CAFE. The GX is more popular.

I'm sure Toyota has worked out the math between the T24 and V35, and maybe it does make more sense to offer the V35 and charge a little more for product differentiation. I would just be a little surprised by that with the overall trends across the market.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
somewhere is a big inline 6 with a turbo
View Quote

It’s on the lot across the street with the Mazda sign out front
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's the teaser shot:

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/1062x597/format/jpg/quality/100/https://s.aolcdn.com/os/ab/_cms/2023/05/25100218/20230525_02_01-copy.jpg

Based on the 4th Gen Tacoma, we have a pretty good idea what the platform and drive train are going to be.

I think there's a pretty good chance these come standard with the hybrid engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/25/2024-lexus-gx-teaser-reveal-date/
View Quote

No teaser of the front? Probably because it’s made entirely out of grill. Something tells me it’s going to be hideous. Hope I’m wrong.

Edit: should have read the replies
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Looks like it might be pretty good looking.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The current GX (the 460) is. The previous one was a 4Runner that had the V8 and was gussied up, that Gen 4Runner in Asia was called the Hilux Surf (as were the previous ones) but it was different than the Prado which existed along side it. The Hilux Surf is gone afaik.

The Japanese market had some really cool accessories (including Toyota branded stuff) for the Surf. Nets to hang stuff inside, I think there was even a hammock for in interior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J120 is J120

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If Lexus still offered the GS, I'd probably look at that as a point of reference, too. The LS seems like too much of a low volume flagship to me at this point. I don't think it sells enough units to hit CAFE. The GX is more popular.

I'm sure Toyota has worked out the math between the T24 and V35, and maybe it does make more sense to offer the V35 and charge a little more for product differentiation. I would just be a little surprised by that with the overall trends across the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lexus has always been very careful bout differentiation, much more so than VAG- internally Lexus flexes to ensure, Sato drew the lines, (recall he was Chief Branding Officer as well as Lexus (and Gazoo) President.  See where he is now

Why I'm leaning to V35A - it's what Lexus would want. But much is changing and electrics are a wild card. The tea leaves are tough to read anymore and I don't get near the sugar I used to.

Case in point - Lexus Yaris

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's on the lot across the street with the Mazda sign out front
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Nothing pisses me off worse than Lexus chucking co-op on that. Very unhappy with Nakajima. Very unhappy Sato acquiesced.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No teaser of the front? Probably because it's made entirely out of grill. Something tells me it's going to be hideous. Hope I'm wrong.

Edit: should have read the replies

Looks like it might be pretty good looking.
View Quote

Looks like a pain in the ass to wash

I'm sure there's a lot of grille we don't see. Hopefully better integrated than the GX 460 refresh,  but it's corp language for brand recognition, tho Bracken has noted Lexus realizes the styling polarizing, so we can hope.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lexus has always been very careful bout differentiation, much more so than VAG- internally Lexus flexes to ensure, Sato drew the lines, (recall he was Chief Branding Officer as well as Lexus (and Gazoo) President.  See where he is now

Why I'm leaning to V35A - it's what Lexus would want. But much is changing and electrics are a wild card. The tea leaves are tough to read anymore and I don't get near the sugar I used to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the biggest reason to favor the V35 in the GX… NVH?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is the biggest reason to favor the V35 in the GX  NVH?
View Quote

Fair point - tho much of what Lexus (and Premium Toyota) done with NVHE made intrusion extremely attenuated, T24A sounds worse standing quarter front than you'd ever imagine if you'd only been inside the NX. But V35A would simplify,
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

My GX 470 has the exact same drivetrain as the LX 470 and Land Cruiser 100 Series. (4.7 2UZ)

The GX 460 was only different because the 5.7L v8 in the LX 570 and Land Cruiser 200 Series was overkill and too big for the GX size. The 4.6 was plenty for it.

No way they will stick the 4 banger from the Tacoma into the 3rd gen GX. It’s a Lexus and the American cousin to the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. It’s not the flagship LX/LC, but it’s still technically a Land Cruiser.

I would wager that it will get a detuned version of the TT v6 from the LX600.

All that said, the GX is the king of Toyota 4x4s. Tacomas and 4Runners are the most popular, but they are incredibly overpriced for what they are; Tacoma is a cramped truck that can’t haul anything and the 4Runner is laughably underpowered. LX and 200 Series LC are the flagships, but they are massive and heavy and also ridiculously expensive.

The GX is the perfect overland vehicle. Lexus luxury, Toyota reliability, 4Runner size, Land Cruiser drivetrain. It’s the best of all worlds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

False

The 1st Gen GX is a 120 Series Land Cruiser.

4Runner = Hilux Surf

GX 470 (J120) = Land Cruiser Prado 120 (J120)

The GX shares it’s frame/size with the 4Runner. That’s literally where the similarities end. The GX is just a smaller version of the Land Cruiser. The US market just never got the global version (LC Prado).
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LMAO!!!!!!!

You’ll pay that much for a 100k mile ‘03-09 GX 470.

That’s also an odd range of years to pick because the 2013 is a lot different than the refreshed ‘14-15.

If you want a 2014+ with 100k you’ll need to change that to low $30s.

Quoted:

Sure…

In 15-20 years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:48:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No rear window rolly down and no v8 no care, might as well just get the 4Runner.
View Quote

Just did. No regerts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My GX 470 has the exact same drivetrain as the LX 470 and Land Cruiser 100 Series. (4.7 2UZ)

The GX 460 was only different because the 5.7L v8 in the LX 570 and Land Cruiser 200 Series was overkill and too big for the GX size. The 4.6 was plenty for it.

View Quote

They aren't  - J120 GX VF4B is a Torsen center diff - the  HF2A in the LX and LC100 has an open diff without a Torsen. There's other differences. '00 front to 4 pinion, A750F and diff gears 4.10 came in on refresh, VVTI, so all J100s themselves didn't have identical drivetrains.

The differentiation between GX and LX was primarily due to the same calculus that will be in play if the V35A ends up in the GX.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LMAO!!!!!!!

That’s also an odd range of years to pick because the 2013 is a lot different than the refreshed ‘14-15.

Sure…

In 15-20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO!!!!!!!

Quoted:

Sure…

In 15-20 years.

Damn. Guess I'll be holding on to my 2014 Luxury with 150k miles a little bit longer then.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:44:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They aren't  - J120 GX VF4B is a Torsen center diff - the  HF2A in the LX and LC100 has an open diff without a Torsen. There's other differences. '00 front to 4 pinion, A750F and diff gears 4.10 came in on refresh, VVTI, so all J100s themselves didn't have identical drivetrains.

The differentiation between GX and LX was primarily due to the same calculus that will be in play if the V35A ends up in the GX.

View Quote

They were all 4.7 2UZ, though.

The GX (03-09) added VVTI in ‘05.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Rumor is the LC is coming back to North America. If it’s the 300 series I’ll be selling my 200 to get one. It might be the smaller LC Prado version in which case I’ll pass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The GX (03-09) added VVTI in '05.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GX (03-09) added VVTI in '05.

All had the same engine, sure, with substantially the same dev cycle, which isn't included in the drivetrain - tho I figured you meant powertrain since you mentioned the engine. Regardless 120 GX doesn't share nearly as much content with J100s as it does other models on the same platform.

The N210 V8 Limited had the same A750F, VF4B, axles, etc as the GX470, on the same chassis with nearly identical suspensions when HCS was optioned. Really it's the V8 N210 that shares more powertrain with the GX than any of the J100s.

FWIW there's a lot shared across Prado, GX, 4R/Surf, FJ and the front half of the 2nd Gen Taco since they derived from original J120 Platform Koyari's team developed.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#45]
This gonna make my 2018 look like a dinosaur
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#46]
They purposely aren't showing the front. It ain't gonna be pretty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not likely. People that know, will want the v8. If anything,  I see it going the other way first.

Eta also, to me, the pic in the op looks like a 2000 jeep Cherokee from the back. Really square...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our '09 GX470 engine looks very different from the '05 LX470 that I looked at recently.  I thought they were different.  Or, did earlier GX470s have different engines than newer ones?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They purposely aren't showing the front. It ain't gonna be pretty.
View Quote

ALL grill.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Our '09 GX470 engine looks very different from the '05 LX470 that I looked at recently.  I thought they were different.  Or, did earlier GX470s have different engines than newer ones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2UZ-FE was basically same throughout run - mid year break in '05 when VVTi came in with ACIS, plastic intake runners, castings/heads were identical, don't recall any accessory differences (alt upgrade isn't much).  Visual difference - lost the trans dipstick second year A750F, cover on GX pre/post VVTi, pretty certain the LX cover was same through run.

Did you have the top cover  off?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top