Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What exactly do those things have to do with anything about being a political commentator?

So what you are saying is that you would give his views much more credit if only he blew a load in some broad (well, as long as he said some words in front of god first)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shapiro identifies as a boomer.
He was "child prodigy" pundit pushed into the limelight by his coach-father and Joe Farah of World Net Daily.

What branch of service was he in? Where is his wife and children? What job has he held in the real world?

The kid is punching above his weight...
What exactly do those things have to do with anything about being a political commentator?

So what you are saying is that you would give his views much more credit if only he blew a load in some broad (well, as long as he said some words in front of god first)?
That's easy to answer. He's a staunch interventionist who's never served. It's why Vox Day calls him the Littlest Chickenhawk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ben Shapiro is bought and paid for by neocon assholes. He's a jackass.
View Quote
He's smart and is good at presenting conservative arguments.

He has his limitations. He also isn't the usual NeverTrump. He ain't an idiot like Max Boot.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Agreed. I read this article the other day and this is basically what it said as well. Despite what you read in GD, there are a lot of moderate liberals who truly have never heard a differing point of view. Show them one, without being an asshole.

At the point where they get mouthy or cross a line, then all bets are off.

When debating IRL I always start with respect and facts- something they have likely never heard.
View Quote
Making a case with a good argument has its place. When dealing with actual leftists mocking them is the best course.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Constantly interrupting his opponent to get irrelevant jabs and not even letting them finish a sentence much less form a coherent argument?

Yeah, a lot of "convincing" going on there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nikki Haley is JEB Bush with a dick.
View Quote
No she's much more dangerous. She would rip your traditional values out of you if given half the chance if it suits her purposes.

And if Ben Shapiro is all chubbed-up about her then perhaps he's not quite what some make him out to be either.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
When I try to find common ground with liberals, they interrupt me half way through the first sentence and lecture me like I am a 4 year old.  On gun control, I learned that: "Facts don't matter."  Don't mention Trump or you get a waterfall of words about how he his taking over the US for the Russians, and are asked how anyone in their right mind could vote for him over Hillary under any circumstances.  Liberals know a lot of "facts" about conservatives that I had never heard before about anybody.

Did you know that all Republicans think the Russians hacked into Hillary's server and that this led directly to the Benghazi attack?  Never heard the two scandals connected before like that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Constantly interrupting his opponent to get irrelevant jabs and not even letting them finish a sentence much less form a coherent argument?

Yeah, a lot of "convincing" going on there.
View Quote
His opponents argument was "you don't have the right degree, therefore your argument is irrelevant."

The irony being, of course, that he was "owning" him because some people can't be convinced with logic.  So you beat them down.

Fighting the appeal to authority requires mocking the proposed authority.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can't convince commies because commies aren't people.

Also both of those people give me spook hives.
View Quote
This. We can't coexist with liberals. Eventually we will need to contend with them for the future of the planet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If they could be convinced, they wouldn't be liberals.
View Quote
It's not easy but it's possible.  In general the average person who asserts themselves as liberal is far more conservative than they believe.  Propaganda is a powerful tool that has decieved more than we will ever know and we live in a society dominated by it.  From the education system, news networks, local papers, and TV and movies.  Simple arguments like being paid on a person's merit and personal responsibility are easy wins and great for getting the ball rolling.  Granted, there are people who can not be swayed, but many can.

My sister's fiance used to be a total liberal when the started dating my sis (she is probably right of me lol) and now he has gone from someone who voted for Obummer twice to a huge 2a guy who legitimately loves the idea of small government.  Although graduating from med school while Obomacare is imploding  and having dems trying to openly increase taxes as probably helped with that.  At one point I couldn't stand the guy.  Now we shoot to gather all the time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Making a case with a good argument has its place. When dealing with actual leftists mocking them is the best course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I read this article the other day and this is basically what it said as well. Despite what you read in GD, there are a lot of moderate liberals who truly have never heard a differing point of view. Show them one, without being an asshole.

At the point where they get mouthy or cross a line, then all bets are off.

When debating IRL I always start with respect and facts- something they have likely never heard.
I don't disagree. I just think we make the mistake all too often of lumping together everyone who disagrees with us about anything as leftists, and that's just not the case. Quite a few have quite literally never heard an opposing argument, or if they have it was a terribly presented one.

When dealing with TRUE leftists and communists, I agree with you. Mock, own, belittle, whatever. Fuck those retards.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Start Trying To Convince

(Ben Shapiro says she is "my personal spirit animal!")

Searched, no dupe... article dated july 24
View Quote
Sorry but that is dumb.

You win by fighting and pounding the other side into oblivion, not by sitting down and patiently explaining your positions and how wonderful you think they are. The other side doesn't care. They hate you and will never agree with you. Our only hope of winning is to fight hard and inspire Conservatives and the people in the middle to follow us. Leftists by and large will never listen. At best you will win over 1% of them. Big deal.

also LOL @

Good for Nikki Haley. There’s a reason she’s the most popular politician in America.
View Quote
She's nice but she's not the "Most Popular".
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nikki Haley is Ben Shapiro's "spirit animal"?

Holy shit what an overrated dumbass.

[either one]
View Quote
Ben Shapiro has brought more people to conservatism than anyone in this thread. Despite that, people like you tear him down, but for what? What are you doing to keep the left from winning?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Listening to people like this would have gotten president Hillary. Marginalizing and ridiculing a viewpoint is an extremely effective strategy thats been used against the right for years, and is now effectively being used against the left. Shapiro sometimes makes some good points, buts hes just too weird and socially inept to really understand how normal people work.
View Quote
He also doesn't know shit about guns, 2A history, or the current state of 2A law.    Listening to him speak about firearms makes me cringe.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]
You cannot convince or Reason with a fanatic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
You can always tell a liberal, but you can't tell 'em much..
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
QFT.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stupid attention whore who caved like a wet paper bag in her own state.  Fuck her.
View Quote
BIG +1
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He goes to great lengths to be "objective".  He doesnt ha ve the balls to pick a side
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Listening to people like this would have gotten president Hillary. Marginalizing and ridiculing a viewpoint is an extremely effective strategy thats been used against the right for years, and is now effectively being used against the left. Shapiro sometimes makes some good points, buts hes just too weird and socially inept to really understand how normal people work.
He goes to great lengths to be "objective".  He doesnt ha ve the balls to pick a side
He is a journalist, journalist are supposed to be objective. Just because almost none of them are doesn’t mean they are not supposed to be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Ah, more strategery from Ben "Trump's a big orange meanie!!" Shapiro.

Clearly we need to listen and closely adhere to his Lessons On Winning.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ben Shapiro has brought more people to conservatism than anyone in this thread. Despite that, people like you tear him down, but for what? What are you doing to keep the left from winning?
View Quote
Cite.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Cite.
View Quote
Stupid bon mot is stupid.

name one person in this thread who has done more than Ben Shapiro.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You own the libs to convince the undecided and uncommitted.
View Quote
This.

Undecided voters are also stupid and want to vote for a winner.  Winners dont get ridiculed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Didn’t Shapiro quit his job to white knight her?  If he’s that tool then why would anyone give two shits what his elitist ass has to say.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite.

If we're gonna beat it to death with literalism, I'll nominate myself since I can solidly claim *one* convert.  And I can preach to the choir in GD all day, which is pretty much what Shapiro does.

No one outside of the "true conservative" circlejerk pays any attention to him.  He's basically an asexually-reproduced William F Buckley Jr, Jr.

OTOH, it's pretty surprising how many non-political people have mentioned Milo, and even more surprising that the general sentiment seemed positive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why "own" libs when you can sell out conservatives?

-Nikki Haley
View Quote
I'd say it's not either or proposition. Survey the battleground and convince those you can but politics is a contact sport and much of the left doesn't look like they're interested in taking prisoners, so draw and quarter leftist talking points for those you can't
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#27]
You cannot convince a true believer of leftism anything. You can make the less diehards feel embarrassed to be associated with them though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If we're gonna beat it to death with literalism, I'll nominate myself since I can solidly claim *one* convert.  And I can preach to the choir in GD all day, which is pretty much what Shapiro does.

No one outside of the "true conservative" circlejerk pays any attention to him.  He's basically an asexually-reproduced William F Buckley Jr, Jr.

OTOH, it's pretty surprising how many non-political people have mentioned Milo, and even more surprising that the general sentiment seemed positive.
View Quote
sorry, dude.

You can't claim a guy with millions of followers, a regular on fox news, a guy who lectures on college campuses regularly and with millions of youtube views is irrelevant.

You are just looking stupid at this point.

You can't deny William F. Buckley's impact without looking stupid, either.

If you are comparing him to Buckley, you are admitting I am right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He is a journalist, journalist are supposed to be objective. Just because almost none of them are doesn’t mean they are not supposed to be.
View Quote
Uh, I think he's more of an opinion guy than any kind of objective journalist.

Writing in the opinion pages is very different than writing on page 1. At least, it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't disagree. I just think we make the mistake all too often of lumping together everyone who disagrees with us about anything as leftists, and that's just not the case. Quite a few have quite literally never heard an opposing argument, or if they have it was a terribly presented one.

When dealing with TRUE leftists and communists, I agree with you. Mock, own, belittle, whatever. Fuck those retards.
View Quote
On the internet we mostly argue with either leftists, or among our own (who we shouldn't mock). You can now add in NeverTrump.

Usually those arguing in these threads fall in to one of those groups.

People who are not aligned one way or another are not inclined to spend much time arguing in political threads.

You also get trolls who claim to be on the fence or looking at it objectively, but who are not what they claim. Usually I treat them as if they are what they claim until it becomes beyond obvious they are not.

I also keep in mind that if I have a good argument, it may sway some lurker, and it may give my allies another idea on how to argue a particular point. So I will do my best to present good arguments even if it seems to be the casting of pearls before swine judged by the person I'm arguing with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I try to find common ground with liberals, they interrupt me half way through the first sentence and lecture me like I am a 4 year old.  On gun control, I learned that: "Facts don't matter."  Don't mention Trump or you get a waterfall of words about how he his taking over the US for the Russians, and are asked how anyone in their right mind could vote for him over Hillary under any circumstances.  Liberals know a lot of "facts" about conservatives that I had never heard before about anybody.

Did you know that all Republicans think the Russians hacked into Hillary's server and that this led directly to the Benghazi attack?  Never heard the two scandals connected before like that.
View Quote
Yeah most people on here have no idea how crazy the average Democrat is.

For example:

"How can you not believe in Russian collusion? It's on every single news channel! And Trump, oh my God, such a terrible father. I feel sorry for his kids. Obama was such a great father and a good family man but Trump is a philandering jerk who probably beats his wife."

My neighbor spews that sort of stuff every single day non-stop. It's like arguing with a brick wall. You will never get through that.

Our only hope is to motivate other Conservatives and get a few of the people in the middle. The Leftists are too far gone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
On the internet we mostly argue with either leftists, or among our own (who we shouldn't mock). You can now add in NeverTrump.

People who are not aligned one way or another are not inclined to spend much time arguing in political threads.

You also get trolls who claim to be on the fence or looking at it objectively, but who are not what they claim. Usually I treat them as if they are what they claim until it becomes beyond obvious they are not.

I also keep in mind that if I have a good argument, it may sway some lurker, and it may give my allies another idea on how to argue a particular point. So I will do my best to present good arguments even if it seems to be the casting of pearls before swine judged by the person I'm arguing with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it. I think we're on the same page here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
If Ben Shapiro had his way, Hillary would be president.    At that point, it doesn't matter how many people he brought to conservatism (however many that may be).

Think about that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Nikki Haley is a talking head who is more concerned about being popular than doing what is right. She whats nothing more than to advance her political career.

If you listen to her awhile it will not take long to hear her repeat the exact same talking points over and over. If she is asked a question she hasn't a prepared answer for she will try to steer the conversation back to her rehearsed script.

It is amazing the number of people Nikki Haley has fooled with her charade.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#35]
You own the die hard commies so that the normies observing can learn the truth!
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#36]
But how will we enjoy the sounds of their lamentations?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]
The ones not deranged...got it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

now they are losing in social media

this is not the time to relent
View Quote
This.
These fucking idiot RINO, cuck, LOSERS see victory in the distance and instantly relent/surrender/feels.

They are the problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The left has gone beyond the point of logical thought and concourse in conversation. They have been trained to immediately retreat into their I am offended, you are a Nazi/racist/homophobe/xenophobe...etc. hysterical shrieking as soon as they realize you have a different point of view. Their world revolves around 10 second sound bytes, misstated and misrepresented facts, and outright lies.

Bathhouse Barry drove an ideological wedge into this country of which we are still seeing the repercussions. Until there is a willingness to acknowledge facts then there can be no middle ground or substantive conversation.
View Quote
#truth
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#40]
FNH
FJM
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I like Ambassador Haley. She is sharper than a razor blade and I’d agree with her on this issue but I feel that’s a ship don’t sail.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I like Shapiro.  But I am trying to be objective.
View Quote
I like what I see so far.  He's a work in progress, I think.

He's out there making contact in hostile territory and pulling no punches.  It will be interesting to see what his approach will be when he's done this long enough to have the depth of experience that matches the depth of his intellect.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I like what I see so far.  He's a work in progress, I think.

He's out there making contact in hostile territory and pulling no punches.  It will be interesting to see what his approach will be when he's done this long enough to have the depth of experience that matches the depth of his intellect.
View Quote
He is trying to be William F. Buckley in an age when we need Conan the Barbarian.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh look two people "on our side" whose opinions I don't give a fuck about.

Little Benji the Neo-Con Warmonger and "Tear down the Flag" Haley.

fuck both of 'em.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He is trying to be William F. Buckley in an age when we need Conan the Barbarian.
View Quote
He's not a brawler.  He does do ideas well though.

Some of our brawlers will brawl for the right ideas, but aren't capable of coming up with or defending those ideas on the merits themselves.

I don't mean "brawler" to be purely physical.  I also mean those who can skewer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'd say it's not either or proposition. Survey the battleground and convince those you can but politics is a contact sport and much of the left doesn't look like they're interested in taking prisoners, so draw and quarter leftist talking points for those you can't
View Quote
Nicely stated!
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed
Conan, what is best in life?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The sum total of bitching about Trump from all the users in this thread is far surpassed by what that little twerp does in a day.

He's put a young face on conservatism, in some circles.  That's it.

Milo is more influential.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You own the die hard commies so that the normies observing can learn the truth!
View Quote
very valid point......
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't forget this piece of life advice as well.

Conan the Barbarian - The Secret of Steel HQ
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top