Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just happy that this thread isn't full of Trump Humpers defending POTUS.  These are serious cases that we need to win.

Money well spent and I'm confident there will be a steady supply of funds to help support these types of cases in the future.

Great job NOLO and thank you for doing this for all of us.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL at lecturing Nolo on how government lawyers work. You have no idea who he is do you?
View Quote
POLYTHENEPAM has a pretty good understanding of how this stuff works...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL at lecturing Nolo on how government lawyers work. You have no idea who he is do you?
And I am sure NOLO does too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with the decision and thank you for what you do Nolo!!

Can't believe I had to go to page 6 to find this thread, on a gun site, supposedly full of gun owners. That's our problem...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good luck with the decision and thank you for what you do Nolo!!

Can't believe I had to go to page 6 to find this thread, on a gun site, supposedly full of gun owners. That's our problem...
View Quote
No, this thread is actually trying for a higher signal to noise ratio - it should perhaps be stickied but leave the posting to Nolo and courtroom observers please!  Most of these type of threads turn into noise either in support or otherwise, but Nolo's postings then get lost.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Or perhaps those that know/follow Nolo and this since the beginning subscribe to the threads so they have them handy.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This guy..........................
View Quote
I practiced law for decades.
I correctly predicted the outcome of Hollis and Watson while most of you thought those cases were won.
I know exactly what's going on, unlike someone who once told us he wasn't interested in the politics of law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Fingers crossed on the injunction.

Again, good looking out taking up this fight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I practiced law for decades.
I correctly predicted the outcome of Hollis and Watson while most of you thought those cases were won.
I know exactly what's going on, unlike someone who once told us he wasn't interested in the politics of law.
View Quote
And now you live to be contrarian toward any court action relative to 2a.

At least that's how it seems.  I don't recall you ever predicting a win.  Have you?  Or are those the cases you just don't care to comment on?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Folks,

Blaming the messenger helps nothing.

Mr. P is right in that the game IS rigged for a government win.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is your best.  To quote Tennyson:

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”

Was there a man dismayed?

Not though the soldier knew

Someone had blundered.

Theirs not to make reply,

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to do and die.

Into the valley of Death

Rode the six hundred.

Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to agree with HistoricArms. These battles need fought. But they are almost always a difficult uphill battle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Folks,

Blaming the messenger helps nothing.

Mr. P is right in that the game IS rigged for a government win.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is your best.  To quote Tennyson:
View Quote
I'm not blaming him for anything.  I would appreciate his insight on cases we were likely to win, as he is often correct on the ones we don't.  We win cases too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
So what possible conclusions can we draw about this case based on whether or not the injunction is granted? Does denial of an injunction mean the judge thinks the case will most likely fail?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At least that's how it seems.  I don't recall you ever predicting a win.  Have you?  Or are those the cases you just don't care to comment on?
View Quote
Reality sucks sometimes.
I don't engage in wishful thinking because wishing doesn't change outcomes.

People would be better off if they faced facts and drew the necessary conclusions.

Those who create false hope aren't doing anyone any favors.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m going to fight everything I can because that’s what has to be done. You can sit at home predicting my losses, but I’ll be over here in the ring.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’m going to fight everything I can because that’s what has to be done. You can sit at home predicting my losses, but I’ll be over here in the ring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reality sucks sometimes.

People would be better off if they faced facts and drew the necessary conclusions.

Nolo, thank you for what you are doing!  It’s a damn shame we continue to elect people who infringe on our rights, but that’s a topic for another day.

Is there a thread that has fund raising links, or instructions on how to do so? I want to contribute, as well as let this fight be know to my community. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not blaming him for anything.  I would appreciate his insight on cases we were likely to win, as he is often correct on the ones we don't.  We win cases too.  
View Quote
It turns out that the cases you thought were victories, weren't.

Do you know the reason often given for upholding "assault weapon" bans? The courts frequently hold that the government may ban those weapons so long as the government allows the peons to possess handguns with which to defend themselves. Where did the notion that self-defense was the reason for the adoption of the Second Amendment? Heller. So much for deciding cases based on the text of the Constitution. Altering the basis of the Second Amendment was a defeat, not a victory.

Do you know the reason given by the Fifth Circuit for the holding that machine guns are not protected by the Second Amendment?
"But self-defense, not revolution, 'is the central component of the Second Amendment. McDonald ...'."

Perhaps you think Caetano is a victory. Ask yourself why the anti-gun justices signed off.

How long will it be before the courts apply the "reasoning" used to uphold bans on "assault weapons" today and decide that the government may prohibit the unwashed masses from possessing handguns, so long as they are allowed to possess stun guns?

I won't live to see it.
Many of you will and you'll be surprised when it happens.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reality sucks sometimes.

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
And it is appreciated by some.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you know the reason often given for upholding "assault weapon" bans? The courts frequently hold that the government may ban those weapons so long as the government allows the peons to possess handguns with which to defend themselves. Where did the notion that self-defense was the reason for the adoption of the Second Amendment? Heller. So much for deciding cases based on the text of the Constitution. Altering the basis of the Second Amendment was a defeat, not a victory.

Do you know the reason given by the Fifth Circuit for the holding that machine guns are not protected by the Second Amendment?
"But self-defense, not revolution, 'is the central component of the Second Amendment. McDonald ...'."

Perhaps you think Caetano is a victory. Ask yourself why the anti-gun justices signed off.

How long will it be before the courts apply the "reasoning" used to uphold bans on "assault weapons" today and decide that the government may prohibit the unwashed masses from possessing handguns, so long as they are allowed to possess stun guns?

I won't live to see it.
View Quote
Damn you know how to rain on our parade
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View Quote
But isnt self defence and revolution the same thing?

If our government's legitimate sovereignty is derived the liberty of the people. And our government violates the liberty of the people, does its sovereignty then not cease to be legitimate?

What is the difference between a guy breaking into your home to enforce his personal will upon you to do harm on you or violate your fredom (tie you up, rape you, or steal you lawful property). And 5 guys doing the same thing? What about 50 guys taking over your whole neighborhood?

Only scale, thats it. The key difference being tjat our government holds legitimate sovereignty. If it was to loose that legitimacy, how could it be defined as different from a street gang or invading army?

For historic example, the colonial regulars had significant trouble persuading minuteman militia units to march away from defense of home area to major battle sites.

The citizen militias role in Revolution has always been self defense. Thats not in conflict with the consept of revolution or military action, or for that matter, military arms.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reality sucks sometimes.

Eventually we may all have to join the light brigade.

People need to take a more fatalistic view of life.  It seems like a negative viewpoint, but it's one of the keys to being happier.  It's also one of the keys to actually winning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Definition of defeatism
: an attitude of accepting, expecting, or being resigned to defeat

Die living, stay in the fight!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
And in case it hasn't been said, thank you.  You are fighting a good fight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reality sucks sometimes.

The only way to achieve lasting change is to do absolutely nothing...over a long period of time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
Hey, when they finally lay their cards on the table, so can we.  Not sure what alternative there is until that day, besides pre-emptively shooting people in the face.  We don't want to do that though, now do we?  So instead we play this little game by their stupid rules, giving them every chance to meet us halfway so it won't have to come to that.

You have any better ideas?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View Quote
If you would like to draft up a legal challenge to any new gun regulation I bet we could get it funded for you. Sounds like you have a better approach than what we're doing? If so, put up or shut up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
This 87X
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Many years ago I was speaking to an old German soldier who lived in my town. He was a WWII veteran and had been in combat in Russia mid war and end of war. I asked him why he continued to fight even when the war was clearly lost. His answer was that he was convinced he would die and better to die on his feet with his weapon than on his knees next to a Russian trench. Now, I am not equating Nolo's fight to Nazis but I am equating it to the spirit of why humans fight. Some have the fire and some don't. Nolo has it and I am grateful for all his efforts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View Quote
The scale involved in your assumption is beyond belief. This would be akin to attempting the banning of personal automobiles, in terms of commonality of ownership and sheer numbers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
@PolythenePam I'll say that I can see your perspective, but I don't see your point - would you have us not try? Is there some line of successful legal attack I'm unaware of?  I think many of us agree that the country is not following the rule of law, let alone the constitution, but does that mean that striving for victories on paper is wrong?

I suppose if you're advocating armed rebellion then I get it, but otherwise I'm missing anything beyond:

As an aside I'll admit I had to google your username to figure out the reference, and the lyrics are making it a bit harder for me to respond with a straight face!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
The other side of that coin was only allowing "militias" to possess weapons. So sure you can have your assault rifle if you join the army, but once you're out, you have to give it back, and everyone else is fucked. They were NEVER going to rule that the second amendment is necessary for violent revolution even though they ALL know that's exactly what it's for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
Ok Eeyore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Eventually we may all have to join the light brigade.

People need to take a more fatalistic view of life.  It seems like a negative viewpoint, but it's one of the keys to being happier.  It's also one of the keys to actually winning.
View Quote
Exactly.  Some of us have resigned ourselves to being armed and not being disarmed willingly.  Once you've come to that position, what Nolo, Supermoose, whomever is doing is no longer fighting to gain some freedoms back for us, but to save the government from themselves.

If we win, they lose face.  If they win, they lose substantially more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The scale involved in your assumption is beyond belief. This would be akin to attempting the banning of personal automobiles, in terms of commonality of ownership and sheer numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
For the socialists, banning private transportation is one of their mid term goals.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For the socialists, banning private transportation is one of their mid term goals.
View Quote
They'll have precisely the same fortune with that they would have with banning all arms.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The other side of that coin was only allowing "militias" to possess weapons. So sure you can have your assault rifle if you join the army, but once you're out, you have to give it back, and everyone else is fucked. They were NEVER going to rule that the second amendment is necessary for violent revolution even though they ALL know that's exactly what it's for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't live to see it.
Yeah, it's as much a violation of sovereignty to admit a "right to revolt" as it is to dissolve national borders.  Even if the right to revolt is logically inalienable (any government can be fought against, it's own laws be damned).  Unconditioned self-defense is as good as we can get (and honestly, the hippy-dippy notion of community militias was basically the same concept, but with the ability to "deputize" people into military service efforts quickly).
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Some of us have resigned ourselves to being armed and not being disarmed willingly.  Once you've come to that position, what Nolo, Supermoose, whomever is doing is no longer fighting to gain some freedoms back for us, but to save the government from themselves.

If we win, they lose face.  If they win, they lose substantially more.
View Quote
Quite possibly the best explanation worded to date!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's as much a violation of sovereignty to admit a "right to revolt" as it is to dissolve national borders.  Even if the right to revolt is logically inalienable (any government can be fought against, it's own laws be damned).  Unconditioned self-defense is as good as we can get (and honestly, the hippy-dippy notion of community militias was basically the same concept, but with the ability to "deputize" people into military service efforts quickly).
View Quote
Not really, its a violation of sovereignty to revolt against a legitimate government. The government ceases to be legitimate if its in violation of the constitution.

As far as the army being the militia, The dick act specified the difference between orginized militia and unorginized militia. And the national defence act of 1933 seporated the NG from the militia. Federalizing it and giving states the right to form seporate defence forces.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quite possibly the best explanation worded to date!
View Quote
True. We plead with them not from concern for what would happen to the common man, but out of concern for what would happen to government employees of all stripes and the overall peace of our nation. A complete breakdown would be unpleasant, to put things mildly, and is best avoided for all concerned - but those holding positions of power certainly have more to lose.

I wish I could phrase that to better match the nuances of reality, but I'm not up to the challenge. It's an incredibly complex situation, as you know.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#45]
So, its the end of the week.

Just waiting for the update
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” -James Mattis
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then there is the definition of "militias" in the US Code Title 10
https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-10-armed-forces/10-usc-sect-311.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This 87X
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to fight everything I can because that's what has to be done. You can sit at home predicting my losses, but I'll be over here in the ring.

Thank you
This 87X
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are literally over a hundred million Americans excluded from that definition. Probably over 200 million when you also take age into account. In order for the second amendment to have any teeth if the "militia" interpretation is the correct one, the code would need to be amended to include all Americans over 18.

Thankfully, the seocnd amendment doesn't read, "the right of the militia to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". It reads, "the right of the people". That's an important distinction that gets lost on the militia angle proponents. It's the people's right.

The fact that the people having the right to keep and bear arms enables a well regulated militia is just icing on the cake.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top