Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Comparing Lexus performance and technology to Tesla and claiming its equivalent is laughable.
View Quote

Who did that, besides you?

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Comparing Lexus performance and technology to Tesla and claiming its equivalent is laughable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Comparing a Tesla interior to Lexus and claiming its equivalent is laughable.

Who did that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s true that Model 3/Y are quite utilitarian but the tech and capabilities make it one of the most comfortable and effortless cars to drive which is its own form of luxury and arguably a higher form of luxury than something that is merely ornamental and has high end workmanship and materials.

As a life long Japanese-made Toyota/Lexus guy, I thought the Rubbermaid interiors and wide panel gaps of Tesla would bother me more.  They don’t.  My early production Y is so much better than anything in its class.  It’s not even close.  I will always have an ICE in my fleet, but the rest will be Tesla.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Who did that, besides you?

View Quote
The OP
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]

These are the service members who died for the oil to burn in your truck ...

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The OP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The OP

Nah, not really
Quoted:
I bought one two weeks ago.  I like it more now than when I bought it.  I'm pissed though, because they just dropped prices AGAIN!  You can pick up a new model 3 for a little over $36k, and depending on your state you're getting around $10k back in tax incentives.  That's a luxury level car for upper $20s.  Crazy.

And ignore the haters, the car is awesome.  More like driving a computer that kicks ass on performance.  And I'm regularly in a Lexus 450 and the interior, ride, build quality is similar.  Really good value for the dollar.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The OP
View Quote

The op made these comparisons to the Lexus:

interior, ride, build quality
View Quote

So... no, he didn't.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Still own my F150, I'm covered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But real men don't drive cars.  Men drive trucks.  Period

Still own my F150, I'm covered.

He said trucks - not soccer mom sedans with a bed…….
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a fire sale.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]
What the future holds for Tesla cars...

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If they are so great and viable, why the tax incentive?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]
You will think “luxury” when your trim peels off and your rear view mirror wobbles around like it is on a ball bearing. Luxury!
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ask that about kids, marriage and homes often
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
More like driving a computer that ..............s ass.
View Quote
Sheeit Scro, That's all you had to SAY.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:40:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m hoping Whistlindiesel gets to buy a cyber truck, I want to see it get destroyed, and shredded.

EV is a farce. We don’t have the megawat lt power needed to charge everyone’s EV in small towns.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:37:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a place for EVs.  That will only get better as the technology matures and the infrastructure builds out.

But I remain opposed to government promotion of it.  If its so great why do you have to bribe people to buy it?

I say build more EVs.  Build more ICE vehicles.  Build more solar farms.  Build more windmills.  Build more nuke power plants.  Build more hydro dams.  Build more coal fired power plants.  Build more oil fired plants.  Drill more oil.  Frack more oil.  Harvest more natural gas.  Mine more coal.

Ramp it up!  The economy will soar if we take off the government shackles.  
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong. Trucks suck for 90% of non-professional use cases. I own a truck. 2010 Silverado I bought new. It just rolled 60,000mi because I only use it for truck tasks. Daily driving a truck is fine if you can’t afford multiple vehicles but don’t act like it’s some kind of superior driving experience because it’s not. Stay out of the left lane truck boy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Things most functioning societies need vs things that are just wants. The comparison would be a tax incentive for a robot kid, AI wife, and house made entirely out of recycled material. Some people want those things, but there's really no purpose for the majority to have them, and surely no reason for a tax incentive. Same for ICE vs electric, at this point in time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
"double plus good"
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Things most functioning societies need vs things that are just wants. The comparison would be a tax incentive for a robot kid, AI wife, and house made entirely out of recycled material. Some people want those things, but there's really no purpose for the majority to have them, and surely no reason for a tax incentive. Same for ICE vs electric, at this point in time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the .gov gets in the business of granting preference, it's just a matter of where the line is drawn and who is in power. Tortuous and selective arguments then are manufactured, drawing the line to include what's desired, and exclude what's found less so. All precedent will be perverted. Support examples become reflexive, rather than considered.

Like cobalt mine memes, when children mining gold are mostly at risk from mercury. Or Carbon sequestration will save us, when IRA credits only apply when there's North American content and assembly,

The roughly 8T spent maintaining safe and free passage of energy during the same period the 1.5T EV credits were effective, makes a
pretty good financial argument for reduction in energy dependence. @Paul (not to misrepresent your position, disabuse me if so) often points out the strategic and moral. Not sure I'm a wholesale buyer, but the argument is consistent without resorting to absurd hypotheticals. Regardless, society did just fine, some would argue much better, before .gov entered the social subsidy biz. But popularity manufacturers its own support. These tax advantages are going nowhere, and chosen .gov winners will only expand. Likely with their own snarky quips and fallacious memes.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
But Heisenberg drives an Aztec.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ME AND MY WIFE PARTNER ONLY DRIVE TOP QUALITY VEHICLES AND OWN TIER ONE GEAR AND PRODUCTS. WHY BECAUSE WE CAN AFFORD TO BURN NUT COAL

??????
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

EV's have lots of positives.

They kill influencers at higher rate than ICE vehicles, they.... uh.

Um.

Shit that's all I got.

Okay they got one positive.

Luxury was not on that list.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I did the math, and with my current commute, I would save $160 per month in fuel. It would take approx 7 years for me to hit the 120k battery warranty limit, so that would be an approx $13.5k savings assuming fuel prices and electric prices stay similar. The questions are: how much beyond 120k could I go before all that fuel savings is wiped out by a battery change, what is the depreciated value of a M3LR or MYLR at end of battery warranty, and how much of that fuel savings is immediately wiped out by higher insurance premiums when compared to my rust bucket 2003 Ram 2500 and 2014 VW Passat (both diesel).
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It’s true that Model 3/Y are quite utilitarian but the tech and capabilities make it one of the most comfortable and effortless cars to drive which is its own form of luxury and arguably a higher form of luxury than something that is merely ornamental and has high end workmanship and materials.

As a life long Japanese-made Toyota/Lexus guy, I thought the Rubbermaid interiors and wide panel gaps of Tesla would bother me more.  They don’t.  My early production Y is so much better than anything in its class.  It’s not even close.  I will always have an ICE in my fleet, but the rest will be Tesla.
View Quote

This hits on a point I can never quite articulate or convey fully to people. My model 3 is the most effortless vehicle to bomb around town in that I’ve ever driven. The visibility is great, the responsiveness of the electric drivetrain, the steering, the one pedal driving. Autopilot when needed. Gear switching without having to stop. Good cameras for parking. I have a nice BMW, but much prefer the Tesla for daily driving stuff.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Batteries on Teslas are engineered for longevity so they think 300-500K on a Model 3!

Lots of articles and studies about it but Tesla's constantly improving and changing their batteries, with each generation having different battery types.

The savings going to Tesla are

1. Maintenance costs - There are none.  The biggest thing I enjoy about my commuter M3
2. Fuel.  Ehhhh.  Not that big of a deal cost wise, but time wise I save a ton

However costs will go up with

1. TIRES, drive like a grandpa and don't take advantage of the insanely fun torque and horsepower
View Quote
Just read through that article....thank you for that! What I found most interesting was that the 3 and Y are rated for 1500 charging cycles. To me that seems to imply don't charge the thing everyday if you are sitting on 70%. I've also read charging only up to 80% greatly increases the life. On the MYLR that would reduce the range to approx 250 miles, but with my 60 mile round trip commute that's still a charge every 3 days, and at 1500 charging cycles that 4500 days, or 12+ years of reliable battery life. Interesting....

Theoretically, I would never use a supercharger outside of a road trip, which I also read those are much harsher on battery longevity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Yes?   And?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Maybe when my current car is paid off (2023 CR-V Hybrid Sport Touring) I'd see about maybe buying an inexpensive EV as a second car. Wife (currently fiancée that doesn't drive) will end up learning to drive and will need something for short local trips, or I will use it as a commuter.

ETA: Is Tesla still showing the price AFTER tax rebates? They were doing that recently to show a really low price.
View Quote

Yes, it’s VERY Scammy.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes?   And?
View All Quotes

Lithium!?

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, it’s VERY Scammy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe when my current car is paid off (2023 CR-V Hybrid Sport Touring) I'd see about maybe buying an inexpensive EV as a second car. Wife (currently fiancée that doesn't drive) will end up learning to drive and will need something for short local trips, or I will use it as a commuter.

ETA: Is Tesla still showing the price AFTER tax rebates? They were doing that recently to show a really low price.

Yes, it’s VERY Scammy.  

Yea....they should put a really big button on top to show Purchase Price vs Probably Savings

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The only people who hate on Tesla's haven't driven one. (Or need to drive 300+ miles without taking hour brakes)
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Bahaha I love a good burn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can I get it in "Rich Corinthian Leather"
View Quote

That's a special order, and comes with pin striping and the surecoat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Go to tesla website and search inventory in your area.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/185900/Screenshot_20231206_134539_Chrome_jpg-3052280.JPG
View Quote

"Partial Premium Interior"?

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't support the gas cancellation. They are pushing very hard to end gasoline with no feasible alternative in place. Sure the Tesla is in itself awesome and fast as shit. The problem is that this forced change will result in blackouts, mileage limitations/taxes, and having to choose between climate control in your dwelling.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yea, Tesla and luxury don’t go hand and hand. The couple I’ve been in, felt cheap. I’ll leave it at that.
View Quote

Even the ones that are 150k feel cheap IMO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"Partial Premium Interior"?

View Quote

That's on the RWD Model 3 and one of the reasons it's less expensive. It lacks things like LED mood lights and a subwoofer.

Since this thread came out I've been researching them and came damn close to pulling the trigger on a RWD Model 3 but I don't need a new car and who knows how the economy is going to go the next 12 months.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#50]
when the power goes out, how you gonna charge your car?

when you are on the coast and a hurricane is coming, how far can you get before you run out power?

do you like getting in line to then charge your car for 30 minute at a level 3 charging station?

do you like driving a computer?

do you like becoming a big data provider, including videos. including videos of your home and so forth?

the current EV tech is not the long term answer. there isnt enough power in the country to handle charging eveyrone's car if we all go to EVs.

we are close to market saturation for EVs. there are many situations where an EV simply doesnt work. like you live in the middle of nowhere, wyoming as one example.

hybrid is the correct middle term answer until EV tech evolves to use fuel cells with hydrogen or similar.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top