BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For someone that may be affected by this storm that lives 4 miles from the coast as the crow flies, 2 to 3 miles from the SC/NC border on the SC side, what windows should they board up today or tomorrow, if any? North, South, East, West? All of them? None?
View Quote
All, the live cam for Puerto Rico showed the wind switching directions as the storm passed and that shredded everything that was left including that freaking shed
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can we send him a Boltface logo shirt to wear in his next video?

Maybe just an FUAROCK mixed in.
View Quote
That would be awesome !!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Really worried a pine tree might fall on my house.

We cleared the land and built the house this year, so some of the trees will be exposed to wind without neighboring trees to shield them. Trees range from 30-50ft from our house on three of the four sides.

Should I bail out and go stay with my Inlaws this storm? What does the hive think? I live in Rocky Mount/Nashville area.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We cleared the land and built the house this year, so some of the trees will be exposed to wind without neighboring trees to shield them. Trees range from 30-50ft from our house on three of the four sides.

Should I bail out and go stay with my Inlaws this storm? What does the hive think? I live in Rocky Mount/Nashville area.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20180911-161822_Maps-668512.JPG
View Quote
You'll probably be fine... but why not just take a couple days away, just to be safe?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Heed his warnings - Joe is in the know.
Meteorologist Joe Bastardi Explains Why Hurricane Florence Is Like Katrina

Meteorologist Joe Bastardi Explains Why Hurricane Florence Is Like Katrina
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You'll probably be fine... but why not just take a couple days away, just to be safe?
View Quote
Or cut the ones down that are in range
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All, the live cam for Puerto Rico showed the wind switching directions as the storm passed and that shredded everything that was left including that freaking shed
View Quote
Matthew didn't hit this particular house too hard in the beginning, but the latter half of Matthew caused the most destruction, and those winds came from the NW if I'm not mistaken. I know that Matthew will be nothing in comparison, but I'm wondering, based off of the location I mentioned previously, if the worst winds will be coming from the NW(?), or from another direction this time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree.  The DC area should be fine - but the ground is absolutely SOAKED from huge rainfalls in the last month.  So more rain, and some strong wind, will probably knock over lots of big oak trees.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of VA will be fine. DC will be fine.
This.  They might get a little wet, and there may be some disruption in air travel depending on when they fly in/out of the area, but they'll be ok.

People in VA/WV are concerned because we've had an insane amount of rain this year already and there's been some localized flooding with just an inch or two of rain falling in a short time.  The last thing we need is another 4+ inches this weekend.
I agree.  The DC area should be fine - but the ground is absolutely SOAKED from huge rainfalls in the last month.  So more rain, and some strong wind, will probably knock over lots of big oak trees.  
I’ll be keeping my ears open to help those in my part of NoVA, I’m pretty good with a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or cut the ones down that are in range
View Quote
It cost us almost $10k just to clear the 1 acre lot our house is on. We didn't quite have enough to clear more without eating into our house building funds. I'm not sure I'm up to the task of clearing a tree that's 30ft from my house now and most places want to charge you $1k a tree if the tree is in falling distance with a house.

I will likely clear some out in the future, but certainly don't have time to before Florence hits.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I used to be ashamed to be related to him, but what the heck.
He's harmless and lovable.

View Quote
With you hatred of Chrysler products, it is all adding up now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ll be keeping my ears open to help those in my part of NoVA, I’m pretty good with a chainsaw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of VA will be fine. DC will be fine.
This.  They might get a little wet, and there may be some disruption in air travel depending on when they fly in/out of the area, but they'll be ok.

People in VA/WV are concerned because we've had an insane amount of rain this year already and there's been some localized flooding with just an inch or two of rain falling in a short time.  The last thing we need is another 4+ inches this weekend.
Yeah, I figure it won't be necessary. But if for some reason we do get hit hard up here, I'd be happy to help any of the NoVa guys with clean up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Matthew didn't hit this particular house too hard in the beginning, but the latter half of Matthew caused the most destruction, and those winds came from the NW if I'm not mistaken. I know that Matthew will be nothing in comparison, but I'm wondering, based off of the location I mentioned previously, if the worst winds will be coming from the NW(?), or from another direction this time.
View Quote
My point was, since we still don’t know where it’s hitting land, or what it will do when it does... might as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Asking for a friend?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For someone that may be affected by this storm that lives 4 miles from the coast as the crow flies, 2 to 3 miles from the SC/NC border on the SC side, what windows should they board up today or tomorrow, if any? North, South, East, West? All of them? None?
Asking for a friend?
@LFLS84

A tree on the house usually doesn't kill people if they're in the middle, on the first floor.  That location should be evacuated, though.  The hurricane force windfield is a hell of a lot wider than four miles and a Cat 4 can take that house and move it somewhere else.  All windows boarded, fridge emptied, and occupants fent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He didn't change his mind?

My mom decided to stay. When they had it shifting further north than Myrtle Beach it convinced her to ride it out. I had her talked into leaving at that point. She is going over to my sisters (which is still only a couple of miles from the coast, but at least its not a trailer) place which probably isn't much safer. Now the track is showing more southernly again. There is nothing else for me to do but pray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be safe , and look in on my old man in Conway.
He didn't change his mind?

My mom decided to stay. When they had it shifting further north than Myrtle Beach it convinced her to ride it out. I had her talked into leaving at that point. She is going over to my sisters (which is still only a couple of miles from the coast, but at least its not a trailer) place which probably isn't much safer. Now the track is showing more southernly again. There is nothing else for me to do but pray.
I wish them the best.
I'll talk to my Dad again tonight, but I'm sure he's staying put.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't expect the damage to be too bad, but I do expect roads to be flooded and washed away, and they are within eye sight of the Bay, one road thatll get you back to 13, with inletts all over. If roads flooded or damaged, I imagine the majority of resources will be occupied with heavier populated and effected areas, and it might be a while before they can get out.
He'll my brother said they closed schools Monday due to road flooding from a relatively small thunder storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They might be ok that far north. That's close to Exmore isnt it? I told my mom if she bugs out to go up 13 to Dover. My dad is to hardheaded to leave even with recovering from major back surgery. We are in Norfolk.
I don't expect the damage to be too bad, but I do expect roads to be flooded and washed away, and they are within eye sight of the Bay, one road thatll get you back to 13, with inletts all over. If roads flooded or damaged, I imagine the majority of resources will be occupied with heavier populated and effected areas, and it might be a while before they can get out.
He'll my brother said they closed schools Monday due to road flooding from a relatively small thunder storm.
That storm on Monday was a supercell they got 15 in locally...

My brother lives there and sent me pictures of Earthen dams completely washed out in a culvert pipe washed out under the road with a pickup truck smashed into it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are bugging in you should have purchased your generator and enough fuel for at least two weeks; had your transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician; and already stocked up on food, water, batteries, prescription meds, ammo, etc.  And you should have done all this before hurricane season began.  If bugging out, you should already be in the Nashville Hilton.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
We made it from the coast to Charlotte today. Only a few big slow downs on the way.  Most gas stations along the coast were out of gas, the rest had long waits.

We were able to top off again about 2 1/2 hours of driving.  That gives us enough to make it to our destination in Tennessee tomorrow.

Hoping others on the coast get out soon too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heading to Raleigh tomorrow to get ready for restoration.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#19]
5 PM guidance is out

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Oof, that Friday to Saturday is damn near stationary.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Listen to Shepherd Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaH5nU1Ls0
View Quote
Maybe you forgot Shep is a liberal liar?  Hurricane Hazel hit north carolina as a Cat 5 in 1954 and went right up through NC in a time when there was far less warning for people.  It destroyed every house, EVERY house on the Brunswick County beaches and tore a path of destruction up through North Carolina.  Were there less people then sure, but a Cat 4 still had a heavy death toll right? NOPE 15, a grand total of 15 people died.  So all those saying if your in the path even inland you should bug out have no idea what they are talking about.  Are some people going to be killed by the storm sure.  Are your chances of getting killed better in your house thats not on the coast OR on the road by some idiot or drunk?  The answer is simple, use some common sense people. Hunker down unless you know your house is prone to flooding.  Most of us are aware since we had Matthew less than two years ago. 26 inches in less than week and 1/2.  I'm not saying it isn't going to be bad, I think it is going to be really bad but the last thing we nee is hundreds of thousands of people "bugging out" in a event that is going to have state wide flooding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Main side Camp Lejeune here.

Was given the order of voluntary evacuation with a 500 mile special liberty until monday. I dont have my car so i have to shelter in place at my barracks. Given what people are posting here, i'm getting nervous about this.

My barracks says its a fallout shelter, think i would be ok?
View Quote
@Pellinore

Here is the Cat 4 surge expectation:

Attachment Attached File

Tool used to find it: http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d9ed7904dbec441a9c4dd7b277935fad&entry=1

Fallout shelters are for nuclear radiation.  Military bases are built to withstand things like lots of wind, but surge and flooding depends on the elevation.   A third or fourth floor that ISN'T the top floor should be safe from water.

If you can find a way to, or close to, Jax, FL, I have room if needed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Was given the order of voluntary evacuation with a 500 mile special liberty until monday. I dont have my car so i have to shelter in place at my barracks. Given what people are posting here, i'm getting nervous about this.

View Quote
I am still intact after the 2nd one in 1996. So you should be ok. Fucking cold cut sandwiches though for 3 damn days.
Get you some booze and enjoy your hurricane party.

Also rollerblades and poncho tied to your hands and legs doesn't =a good time in the barracks parking lot
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also rollerblades and poncho tied to your hands and legs doesn't =a good time in the barracks parking lot
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
This thing is chasing @Navydoc
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Pellinore

Here is the Cat 4 surge expectation:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2018-09-11_at_4-668546.JPG

Tool used to find it: http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d9ed7904dbec441a9c4dd7b277935fad&entry=1

Fallout shelters are for nuclear radiation.  Military bases are built to withstand things like lots of wind, but surge and flooding depends on the elevation.   A third or fourth floor that ISN'T the top floor should be safe from water.

If you can find a way to, or close to, Jax, FL, I have room if needed.
View Quote
Thank you.

Im on the third deck, and the barracks seem to be made of brick/concrete.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Reminder, TS force winds are likely to arrive in the danger zones before thursday morning.  When they get there, it becomes unsafe to be in the area since weak trees can come down, people start figuring out theres a storm coming and all leave at once, and shortages of gas get really bad.

It is apparent people in these areas are not thinking clearly as to time tables.  Tomorrow is the last realistic point to leave while still ensuring a successful getaway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Who was it that said they had parents or knew someone new to the area that wanted to stay?

Between Wilmington, NC and Jacksonville, NC.

Yeah, they need to get the hell out of the area. North and East of Wilmington will not be where you want to be.

If this comes onshore like this the storm surge will be high.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you are bugging in you should have purchased your generator and enough fuel for at least two weeks; had your transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician; and already stocked up on food, water, batteries, prescription meds, ammo, etc.  And you should have done all this before hurricane season began.  If bugging out, you should already be in the Nashville Hilton.
View Quote
My shopping starts in 3 weeks or so to replenish lol.

Buying a case of water a week, a few things of food, extra batteries here and there takes nothing and you can fill up the truck and drink beer while everyone else is panicking
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are fleeing the hurricane and can not find a place in East TN, I can offer a spare bedroom and bath. Even a kennel for a dog. I am in West TN. Reservations in East TN are slim pickings now. Shoot for Nashville area if you have cash for the hotel.

Stuff can be replaced and is what insurance is for. Stay safe and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I am still intact after the 2nd one in 1996. So you should be ok. Fucking cold cut sandwiches though for 3 damn days.

View Quote
Rah
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]
not sure of anyone has posted the ECMWF model yet

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine has a brother who lives in this general area about a mile inland.  He and his family are staying.  How bad was the surge in this area with past storms?  They are kind of new to the area.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20180911_131200-668265.jpg

It's north of Wilmington and south of Jacksonville, NC.
They likely won't live through it.
My dad lives very close to that except right on the intercoastal.  I told him to take anything he ever wants to see again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#35]
WEll, I did NOT drive drunk to SC last night, at this point, I guess I'm going to stay put here in RI, and I'll head down if he gets hammered, with a couple gennies, a chainsaw, , and water, and tools, and a few guns/ammo, and beer.
LOTS of beer....
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are newer vehicles able to have a siphon down their gas tube or is there some sort of anti-theft block in place.  Most people have gas in unused cars but can't get it out.  What is a good siphon to get gas out of vehicles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gasoline is the most underestimated commodity for storms.  People don't think in terms of running a generator for 12 hours every day and how much it consumes even in one week.  You're in a danger zone, and should stock up. There is no such thing as too much gasoline for hurricanes like there is no such thing as too much ammo for zombies.

Plus your neighbors may need some due to them also underestimating need.
Are newer vehicles able to have a siphon down their gas tube or is there some sort of anti-theft block in place.  Most people have gas in unused cars but can't get it out.  What is a good siphon to get gas out of vehicles?
you cant siphon it. you have top drill a hole in the plastic gas tank or if you have the keys, use the fuel pump to push it out of the fuel rail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20180911-161822_Maps-668512.JPG
View Quote
I have commanded my trees not to fall in my house!  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you are fleeing the hurricane and can not find a place in East TN, I can offer a spare bedroom and bath. Even a kennel for a dog. I am in West TN. Reservations in East TN are slim pickings now. Shoot for Nashville area if you have cash for the hotel.

Stuff can be replaced and is what insurance is for. Stay safe and good luck.
View Quote
Stuff like this should be posted HERE to help out our Brothers
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]
For those in the know how is FEMA doing compared to say Katrina?

So, just asking if it seems like a more well run operation than previous administrations?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Even if it hits as a cat 3, it will be pushing a cat 4 storm surge.  Your friends are fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it hits as a Cat 5, have him make sure that they write their names, addresses, SS#, DL# and next of kin on multiple spots on they and their children's bodies in Sharpie. Makes it easier to identify bodies and parts.
Even if it hits as a cat 3, it will be pushing a cat 4 storm surge.  Your friends are fucked.
I tell people to zip tie their DL or ID to their arm.  Marker will be gone when the skin peels off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has a brother who lives in this general area about a mile inland.  He and his family are staying.  How bad was the surge in this area with past storms?  They are kind of new to the area.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20180911_131200-668265.jpg

It's north of Wilmington and south of Jacksonville, NC.
View Quote
@safe1

I'd suggest you have your friend convince him to read up a little bit.  Storm surge mapping models have that area under water if I'm looking at it correctly.  Looks like a pretty good chance he'll be, at best case scenario, isolated for a few days.  I'd scoot my ass out of there and not put my family at risk...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've done all that but I was a good neighbor and loaned my small 5500 watt generator to my neighbor.  They have no fuel I told them I have some and I'll share.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did similar on my first Westpac and 92 in Okinawa with the rollerblades and blanket.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Cajun Navy bailed out Obama during Harvey.
View Quote
??????

Trump was President during Harvey.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
You'll live.  I assume block building.  Roof might get ripped up or leak.  Make sure shit is picked up outside.  Stay away from the windows.  Interior hallways better than doors facing out or balcony.  Facing another building is better than open land or parking.  2nd floor or better.  Make sure you have snack & drinks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.  Remove the core, hook up a hose of the appropriate diameter and turn the key switch to the ON position.  Should run right out into your gas can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.  Remove the core, hook up a hose of the appropriate diameter and turn the key switch to the ON position.  Should run right out into your gas can.
Hate to be "that guy" but is there a video of that on youtube?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
??????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Cajun Navy bailed out Obama during Harvey.
??????

My bad, was thinking that flood event that happened in LA/TX that no one hardly knew was going on.

The media never really reported anything on it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you done it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Reminder, TS force winds are likely to arrive in the danger zones before thursday morning.  When they get there, it becomes unsafe to be in the area since weak trees can come down, people start figuring out theres a storm coming and all leave at once, and shortages of gas get really bad.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT06/refresh/AL062018_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34+png/152311_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

It is apparent people in these areas are not thinking clearly as to time tables.  Tomorrow is the last realistic point to leave while still ensuring a successful getaway.
View Quote
Friday looks very sporty in Atlanta..............
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top