BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 82
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think they pull fuel delivers from the western part of the state and send them towards the coast for hurricanes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a heads up for anyone heading into western NC area.

I saw at least 2 gas stations east of Asheville out of fuel except for 93 octane and people were lining up for it

The farther west towards TN you go no problems with gas as of yet,but I-40 is much busier than normal with mostly GA,SC tags
I think they pull fuel delivers from the western part of the state and send them towards the coast for hurricanes.
Could be the case,although i did see a shit ton of tanker trucks going both east and west.Saw a few wise folks filling up gas cans as well

I also just passed a convoy of power company bucket trucks heading east probably to stage up somewhere
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My humble suggestions after living through and flooding during Harvey:

1.  Put anything you value on your second floor in interior rooms,  or in your attic.
2. Jam as much extra gasoline, food and water nto your vehicle as possible.
3.  Leave

After the storm when returning:
1.  Leave women and children somewhere safe.   My wife and children would have been a huge hindrance in working/assisting in the immediate 4 day aftermath.
2.  If you go back,  be able to self sustain for a week or more.
3.  Have a functioning chainsaw if you want to go anywhere.
4.  Have a shallow draft powered boat if you want to help anyone.  I had a 10 foot jon boat with a reliable 3HP motor.  It was just about ideal.
5.  Have chest waders and good gloves.  Floodwater is incredibly nasty stuff.
6.  Have a buddy.  Stay together.   Period.
7.  Be armed
8.  Absolutely do not drive into deep water unless you know the road,  have reference for depth,  and know that your vehicle is able to ford to that depth.
9.  Have multiple forms of comms.  Cell, Ham, sat phone, etc.
10.  If you are not physically fit, don't bother coming back early.   If you are,  be prepared to be physically and mentally exhausted for the foreseeable future.

God be with you guys.   These things are a truly shitty life experience.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Blah, not looking forward to this
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Main side Camp Lejeune here.

Was given the order of voluntary evacuation with a 500 mile special liberty until monday. I dont have my car so i have to shelter in place at my barracks. Given what people are posting here, i'm getting nervous about this.

My barracks says its a fallout shelter, think i would be ok?
View Quote
They're not super ancient.  You should be fine.

At least you won't starve.

When my Mom managed the main side mess she grabbed Dad's old sleeping bag and slept in the storage room during every single damn hurricane.  She couldn't stand the idea that a young Marine would go hungry.

R.I.P. Mom you are missed.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
All: I'm at ground zero on Wrightsville Beach, NC proper. Boat is secured in a concrete garage off the beach along with some of my other belongings; no threat of flooding there. We moved all the expensive furniture in the upstairs portion of the house. I've moved my guns and ammo to another ARFcomer's safe with the exception of my G19 Gen5 and a spare mag. Everything else in my room will be stacked at least three feet above the floor. All doorways will be sandbagged but I doubt it'll help much if/when it gets sporty.

I'm surfing in the morning and then making the decision whether to stay here at a buddy's with a generator, or pushing south down to St. Augustine and scoring pumping surf with the rest of my crew who headed down earlier today.

Stay tuned...
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Any arfcom Zello channels set up yet?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My sister and BIL live around Jacksonville. They got evacuation orders today. BIL is in the Marines and is stationed near there. She's heading to Knoxville, not sure what his orders are.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
@Pellinore

You good?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

1.  Put anything you value on your second floor in interior rooms,  or in your attic.
3.  Leave

1.  Leave women and children somewhere safe.   My wife and children would have been a huge hindrance in working/assisting in the immediate 4 day aftermath.
4.  Have a shallow draft powered boat if you want to help anyone.  I had a 10 foot jon boat with a reliable 3HP motor.  It was just about ideal.
7.  Be armed
8.  Absolutely do not drive into deep water unless you know the road,  have reference for depth,  and know that your vehicle is able to ford to that depth.
10.  If you are not physically fit, don't bother coming back early.   If you are,  be prepared to be physically and mentally exhausted for the foreseeable future.

View Quote
100% no bs solid info here boys. If you are returning to the areas hardest hit this is cold hard fact
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
100% no bs solid info here boys. If you are returning to the areas hardest hit this is cold hard fact
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.  Leave

7.  Be armed

I would not have remembered my waders. Thanks. Sadly, I am not towing my tinny down if I go....
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All: I'm at ground zero on Wrightsville Beach, NC proper. Boat is secured in a concrete garage off the beach along with some of my other belongings; no threat of flooding there. We moved all the expensive furniture in the upstairs portion of the house. I've moved my guns and ammo to another ARFcomer's safe with the exception of my G19 Gen5 and a spare mag. Everything else in my room will be stacked at least three feet above the floor. All doorways will be sandbagged but I doubt it'll help much if/when it gets sporty.

I'm surfing in the morning and then making the decision whether to stay here at a buddy's with a generator, or pushing south down to St. Augustine and scoring pumping surf with the rest of my crew who headed down earlier today.

Stay tuned...
View Quote
When it arrives the models are showing storm surge of 10-12 ft with 40 ft waves.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck,the new models put me right in the bullseye 30 miles west of Asheville

Mudslides are a real possibility,not good

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any arfcom Zello channels set up yet?
View Quote
Yes, you will have to scroll to find it in this thread, but it was set up my MR hold.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Hurricane-Florence/34-627485/?page=1&anc=6913358#i6913358
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
As someone who has been thru way too many of these things,  just wanted to offer up some prayers for you guys in the Carolinas,   going to be a long weekend l.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Evacuating across the street to Toby's most likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like Camp Lejeune is evacuating as well. Looks like that thing will go right over Jacksonville, NC.
Evacuating across the street to Toby's most likely.
I remember seeing their marquee as a kid.

12 pretty ones and 1 ugly one.

Attachment Attached File

random web search meme...
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Stay tuned...
View Quote
Brother, you can't stop this thing- you can't keep it from doing what it is gonna do. There is nothing to gain from staying and you've got your life to lose. Try to imagine yourself drowning- getting tossed around helpless like a rag doll. Hold your breath as long as you can and imagine getting trapped under flood water that's up to the ceiling. There are people who died that way without having any say in the matter- you have a choice. You can avoid the possibility entirely.

My advice: Start packing your most important stuff- don't wait til the last minute to bug out. Trust your gut and GTFO while you can. I have never in my life regretted evacuating for a hurricane- but I do know plenty of people who have stayed for one and vowed to never ride out another one.

We Conservatives are teetering on the edge of a dying breed- while libtards breed like rabbits. We need every member that we can muster.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea I'm 2 hrs east of Asheville, we are gonna get drenched.

Just got a new chainsaw, looks like it's gonna get one hell of a workout.

Just tore apart the trampoline and pulled my water pump out of the pond.

Got a few weeks of Preps and fuel etc, gonna be a good test of our SHTF plan.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just talked to a friend who is just south of Surf City who has decided to stay.

It's tough to evac, knowing I'm probably going to lose possessions, but it's better than losing my life.
View Quote
a cat 4 or 5 is like a plow, it flattens and pushes things out of the way...... staying inland a bit if there is not much threat of storm surge is one thing, but trailers, wood frame homes, and even some brick homes just come apart. if in the direct path.

some pics from Andrew.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I sure don't like that track heading straight through Louisville. I live right across the river from there. I'd hate to not be home during a major rain event.
We have reservations in the FL panhandle for a week starting Saturday. I hope the I65 corridor will be okay.

I hope we can make it down without problems. We got totally fucked by Irma last fall.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Riddle me this: my brother (ret. dogface) is heading to Carolina Beach from the Sandhills.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.

I'm good for a month or so on preps and fuel myself,as long as if the house doesnt slide down the mountain with it all inside.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sure don't like that track heading straight through Louisville. I live right across the river from there. I'd hate to not be home during a major rain event.
We have reservations in the FL panhandle for a week starting Saturday. I hope the I65 corridor will be okay.

I hope we can make it down without problems. We got totally fucked by Irma last fall.
View Quote
take extra gas with you , unless you are taking a big loop it might be scarce, or the lines crazy long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll eat some crow here.

I was convinced the models were done dancing, the normal variance at less than 4 days is less than 100 miles.

GFS and Euro seem to have gone drinking together and changed plans. Both are projecting a close approach at Wilmington, then a rampage down the coast to south carolina before fully making landfall

I guess its a good example of why making preps early is good as a late projection shift can leave you unexpectedly under the bullseye.

https://store1.wxdisco.com/storage/uploads/monthly_2018_09/1549771468_ecmwf_florence1112ZH126.thumb.png.303731bff33287f42b607797857e4071.png

https://store1.wxdisco.com/storage/uploads/monthly_2018_09/1899905017_gfs_florence1118z.thumb.png.4f22aaae69fa9328e82de54c52c0a694.png
View Quote
That bottom picture pretty much sums it up. Florence is going to go up your back passage.

Get out or get fucked.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

a cat 4 or 5 is like a plow, it flattens and pushes things out of the way...... staying inland a bit if there is not much threat of storm surge is one thing, but trailers, wood frame homes, and even some brick homes just come apart. if in the direct path.

some pics from Andrew.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59289e16/turbine/fl-reg-hurricane-andrew-25th-anniversary-20170510
https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/gettyimages-51513234.jpg
https://media.defense.gov/2012/Aug/20/2000123520/-1/-1/0/120820-F-JZ010-409.JPG
http://www.hurricanescience.org/images/hss/1992_andrew_windevidence_noaa.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aYXYJvA6-cA/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Holy shit...never seen the plywood through the tree before.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would say any of you guys with nightvision, pack it with you. it will be dark as hell with all the power out. take all the batteries you got. I wished I had nods last hurricane, it was only a couple days, but two nights it was so dark you could not see more than 2-3 feet in front of you at most. even my flashlight barely lit up the street. it was not a mega lumen, but 120 I think. take a AR or something that might work with the nods.

we had looters and home invasions before the storm even hit. not sure what happened after that since was out of power and no cell signal for about a week.

best of luck to all of you whatever you decide. but remember you cant replace people and they can't replace you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Holy Crap!!!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I hear ya.

I'm good for a month or so on preps and fuel myself,as long as if the house doesnt slide down the mountain with it all inside.

Stay safe
View Quote
Just sharpened my chainsaw blade. I'm a little North of Asheville. Looks like they have it coming right over my house Sunday Afternoon. Hopefully it's just a low pressure system by then. Be safe guys!
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Yankee preparing for my first hurricane in my first home (when I was in apartment I literally did not a give a single shit), So forgive me for any dumb questions, but from that I can tell I think we'll be okay here in Raleigh. Flooding (max that could happen is property damage from sheet flow surface runoff on my property, way outside of the flood plane), trees (none are around my house), and power outages (I have a genny and fuel, and propane, and charcoal, and wood, and tarps, and plenty of water) as the major threat to us here. I'm as prepped as I can be.

But I am shitting bricks about my inlaws. They are towards the coast (in a brick home FWIW), and I had assumed that they would come here. But they are planning on staying. How far inland would y'all advise GTFO if you are in the direct path of the storm? I know they've been though this type of stuff before, they are very practical and reasonable people, but I'm concerned for them. Am I being paranoid?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who all is ready for two months of CONSTANT media coverage of the hurricane aftermath, blaming Trump for the old gods of Sumeria punishing us or the Russian weather control machine or something, because Trump.
View Quote
Already started...."citing" the "disaster" of the Puerto Rico response....
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Type your location into this and it will give you projected wind speeds, rain, etc. (It's based on the lasted Euro model data.)
Hurricane Forecast
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just sharpened my chainsaw blade. I'm a little North of Asheville. Looks like they have it coming right over my house Sunday Afternoon. Hopefully it's just a low pressure system by then. Be safe guys!
View Quote
*chain*
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck sake, I'm in University, Charlotte, wife went to pick up drugs from CVS and went to top off gas in the car - gas station was all out of gas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are newer vehicles able to have a siphon down their gas tube or is there some sort of anti-theft block in place.  Most people have gas in unused cars but can't get it out.  What is a good siphon to get gas out of vehicles?
Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.  Remove the core, hook up a hose of the appropriate diameter and turn the key switch to the ON position.  Should run right out into your gas can.
Hate to be "that guy" but is there a video of that on youtube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF6XZMDMOY4
Cool
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone coming from SC through Georgia, be aware that traffic from Conyers to Atlanta will have lots of stop and go all the way to the West side............I ran into it after a job I had in Conyers
View Quote
I20 was extraaaa shitty earlier this eve near the ga/sc border.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fuck sake, I'm in University, Charlotte, wife went to pick up drugs from CVS and went to top off gas in the car - gas station was all out of gas.
View Quote
Saw it happening just east of Asheville this afternoon.

Will only get worse and spread
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
No gas at a lot of places in durham.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I know what you mean. It was bad.

1985 Flood

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My 92 year old neighbors son lives near Wilmington about 12mi from the ocean, he's riding it out.  Told his dad he didn't feel like packing up the dogs to leave.  Guess he might just drown with the dogs and all

God why do people make such dumb decisions?
View Quote
depends what direction he lives from wilmington.  if the wind doesnt rip his shack down, he might be OK.

My step bro lives where the expected eye will hit and hes staying, 2 miles from the ocean.  I think hes stupid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll eat some crow here.

I was convinced the models were done dancing, the normal variance at less than 4 days is less than 100 miles.

GFS and Euro seem to have gone drinking together and changed plans. Both are projecting a close approach at Wilmington, then a rampage down the coast to south carolina before fully making landfall

I guess its a good example of why making preps early is good as a late projection shift can leave you unexpectedly under the bullseye.

https://store1.wxdisco.com/storage/uploads/monthly_2018_09/1549771468_ecmwf_florence1112ZH126.thumb.png.303731bff33287f42b607797857e4071.png

https://store1.wxdisco.com/storage/uploads/monthly_2018_09/1899905017_gfs_florence1118z.thumb.png.4f22aaae69fa9328e82de54c52c0a694.png
View Quote
Well that would suck for me if true. Especially since I'm stuck here with work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Blah, not looking forward to this
View Quote
We just left the cabin on Beaver Creek DT, way too much rain already, the ground is soaked and saturated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm a Yankee preparing for my first hurricane in my first home (when I was in apartment I literally did not a give a single shit), So forgive me for any dumb questions, but from that I can tell I think we'll be okay here in Raleigh. Flooding (max that could happen is property damage from sheet flow surface runoff on my property, way outside of the flood plane), trees (none are around my house), and power outages (I have a genny and fuel, and propane, and charcoal, and wood, and tarps, and plenty of water) as the major threat to us here. I'm as prepped as I can be.

But I am shitting bricks about my inlaws. They are towards the coast (in a brick home FWIW), and I had assumed that they would come here. But they are planning on staying. How far inland would y'all advise GTFO if you are in the direct path of the storm? I know they've been though this type of stuff before, they are very practical and reasonable people, but I'm concerned for them. Am I being paranoid?
View Quote
 Hurricanes rapidly lose power when they make landfall.  Hurricane force winds extend 60 miles from the center of Florence. HFWs are 75 mph or greater, are lower the further away from the center, and get dangerous at the Cat 3 level in general (at least w/ strict FL housing codes).  Only near the center is it really bad, but who knows where it will pass?

So, a direct hit with straight movement inland creates a Cat 3 danger zone significantly less than 60 miles inland. The bigger the storm, the larger the HFWindfield.  A storm like this, I'd personally be very nervous 20 or less miles inland without consideration of other risk factors like flash flooding.  I'd be nervous at 30-50 miles, and least nervous at 60.  Cat 4 and 5 are just too dangerous to split hairs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just talked to a friend who is just south of Surf City who has decided to stay.

It's tough to evac, knowing I'm probably going to lose possessions, but it's better than losing my life.
View Quote
@itgoesboom

is he staying on the island?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
outside the evac zone at a minimum, but this storm is huge and it has the potential to do serious devastation not only from coming ashore, but if it lingers.  no telling which way for 100% its gonna go once it hits.  shelters have flooded or been destroyed before so its no easy answer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
@Pellinore

You good?
View Quote
I'm good to go.

I think im around 15-20min from the coast and it's looking like ill be hit head on. Ill keep checking in and give and idea of the situation here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Supposed to fly to Norfolk and drive to kill devil hills in 2 weeks for a wedding.

What are the odds looking like that it will happen?
View Quote
the week after this sat?

not happening.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Could be the case,although i did see a shit ton of tanker trucks going both east and west.Saw a few wise folks filling up gas cans as well

I also just passed a convoy of power company bucket trucks heading east probably to stage up somewhere
View Quote
Yeah we passed a ton of fuel trucks pulled over to sleep and on the road on last night around Pageland heading east.  Also saw a parking lot full of bucket trucks in Cleveland County.

Passed 5 or so military fuel trucks on 501 near the Walmart Sunday afternoon.
Page / 82
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top