Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
There might have been more than a few " shield maidens" during that period.

According to Saxo Grammaticus, 300 shieldmaidens fought on the Danish side at the Battle of Bråvalla, in the year 750. Saxo also records an account of Lathgertha who fought in battle for Ragnar Lodbrok and saved him from defeat through personally leading a flanking attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathgertha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shieldmaiden
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
its a bit slow, but I like it so far.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does every frigging swords and sandals movie have some bad ass warrior woman able to take on multiple men. Damned if Sheena didn't mess up historical entertainment. Ugh...

because the viking women were just as bad as the men

My great grandfather's name Was Thure that is the Swedish and correct spelling of Thor.  He was huge for a man of that time he came to the us in the 1890's he was 6'8 in and almost 300 lbs. I have several pictures of him and my great grandmother together he always was sitting because they could not get them in the frame unless he was sitting.

Thure is based on the name Thor, but it's not the same. The modern equivalent of Thor is Tor.

The following are all based on Thor:

Tor, Tore, Thure, Ture and the female Tora.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
holy shit! i had no idea this show was starting tonight.. totally in
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

holy shit! i had no idea this show was starting tonight.. totally in

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

According to Saxo Grammaticus, 300 shieldmaidens fought on the Danish side at the Battle of Bråvalla, in the year 750. Saxo also records an account of Lathgertha who fought in battle for Ragnar Lodbrok and saved him from defeat through personally leading a flanking attack.

Saxo Grammaticus should be taken with a grain of salt. He also claimed that there were 200,000 warriors involved at Bråvalla, which is at least ten times as many as would be likely at the time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saxo Grammaticus should be taken with a grain of salt. He also claimed that there were 200,000 warriors involved at Bråvalla, which is at least ten times as many as would be likely at the time.

I agree it is probably embellished as are most heroic sagas...I was just trying to point out that shield maidens are historically accurate.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree it is probably embellished as are most heroic sagas...I was just trying to point out that shield maidens are historically accurate.

Well, hey, if there's historical precident, then by all means show her kicking ass.  I'm a little jaded since seeing all the latest feminist angle heroic movies like Robin Hood with Maid Marian fighting in a pitched battle against Frenchmen with Normandy Landing Craft.

BTW, after watching episode 3 online, I'm really liking this show.  I'm liking this Rothbrock feller.  He seems like a dude who's willing to kick some ass but also be a peacemaker if needed.  Unfortunately, since the Vikings were nothing more than thieves and murderers, he's in the wrong company.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does every frigging swords and sandals movie have some bad ass warrior woman able to take on multiple men. Damned if Sheena didn't mess up historical entertainment. Ugh...

My great grandfather's name Was Thure that is the Swedish and correct spelling of Thor.  He was huge for a man of that time he came to the us in the 1890's he was 6'8 in and almost 300 lbs. I have several pictures of him and my great grandmother together he always was sitting because they could not get them in the frame unless he was sitting.

Thure is based on the name Thor, but it's not the same. The modern equivalent of Thor is Tor.

Thus, Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Just watched episode 3 online.....Im getting hooked on this show.        Episode 4 better bring on the real deal pillaging. None of this helpless monks crap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Hey Priest, want to join us?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
So far I like it. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The fourth one is out and it is good !

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thus, Thursday.

In Swedish it's Torsdag.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder why Ragnar was trying to peacefully get the sherrif to take him to the king? All I know is that what ever he was trying to do, his brother and the shipbuilder loki both fucked up his little plan. would have been a major disciplinary action....chop off a finger or 2 to remind them who's in charge.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
We have been enjoying Vikings more than this season of Walking Dead
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#17]
It's on !
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like Ragnar is gonna have to down the Earl pretty quick or die.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We have been enjoying Vikings more than this season of Walking Dead

I would have to agree.
Now we need to have a cross-over program: Dead Walking Vikings.
Imagine  the potential!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]
eh. FSA crowd with a boat and hatchets
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks like Ragnar is gonna have to down the Earl pretty quick or die.

Money and accomplishment talk. He should have killed him when he first stole the gold from first trip.
Can't imagine the earl is popular.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wonder why Ragnar was trying to peacefully get the sherrif to take him to the king? All I know is that what ever he was trying to do, his brother and the shipbuilder loki both fucked up his little plan. would have been a major disciplinary action....chop off a finger or 2 to remind them who's in charge.

I think he read the guys as straight shooting rubes devoid of deception.

He wanted to get walked into the place and get a good look around. Wait for opportunity, then strike. Or if found to be too strong, load up and sail to another town and strike.
Calculated risk. Could have found himself amongst horde of Saxons with no retreat available.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#23]
How come the Saxons didn't destroy the ship while they were waiting for the Vikings to return? BTW I love the series, despite it's inaccuracies. The Vikings knew there was land to the west.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How come the Saxons didn't destroy the ship while they were waiting for the Vikings to return? BTW I love the series, despite it's inaccuracies. The Vikings knew there was land to the west.

I thought the same thing. Almost certainly would have torched the boat, sealing the fate of the raiding party.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The main character's wife is so freaking hot. I love her

Yes!

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:01:32 AM EDT
[#26]
As much as they looked to be out numbered on the beach the Saxons could have flanked or even circled the Vikings then they would have been in trouble. I agree about burning the boat would have been logical.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same thing. Almost certainly would have torched the boat, sealing the fate of the raiding party.

Disagree.

They were planning on killing the vikings not being killed.

They would have kept the ship as a trophy.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Good show so far.  I found the instrument used to navigate to be very ingenious, surprised I'd never heard of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Hes dreamy.. I mean hey yeah shes hot! Im in!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hes dreamy.. I mean hey yeah shes hot! Im in!

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I watched it 2 weeks ago and then last nights episode.  Really digging it.  Now I gotta find a way to start from the beginning so I'll be caught up for next week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I watched it 2 weeks ago and then last nights episode.  Really digging it.  Now I gotta find a way to start from the beginning so I'll be caught up for next week.

This is your friend.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Unfortunately, they've stopped posting next week's video on Mondays.  :(
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is your friend.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

Unfortunately, they've stopped posting next week's video on Mondays.  :(

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]

meh

Looks too much like Courtney Love.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

meh

GTFO
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

meh

yeah...no

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

meh

I think she looks like Scarlet Johansen.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

meh

I think she looks like Scarlet Johansen.

She's prettier, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't believe the show isn't popular.

Each episode seems to get better and better!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah I wish the episodes were 2 hours long.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree.

They were planning on killing the vikings not being killed.

They would have kept the ship as a trophy.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Ragnar is about to fuck the Earl's shit up
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yah. I think Priest is about to become his Tonto.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, I made it through about 30 minutes then quit, I'll stick with TWD and SOA
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sorry, I made it through about 30 minutes then quit, I'll stick with TWD and SOA

It's gaining more and more traction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Is it just me, or does Ragnar kinda look like Jax from Son's of Anarchy?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya. Priest is gonna pull a 180 big time. Once he gets some ass he will go full retard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Doesn't Ragnar get shot with an arrow in the next episode ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya. Priest is gonna pull a 180 big time. Once he gets some ass he will go full retard.

Yeah, like the Mike Myers SNL chocolate skit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Awesome, somehow missed this thread.  I'm digging this one.  Violence and sex.  What more do we need?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top