[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Missed last nights episode. Hope they have another re-run marathon soon

You should be able to catch up on History.com

Just did; thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't believe what Ragnar's about to do.  Not only with the sacrifice, but leaving his wife because she can't produce?  Are sons more important than that smokin' piece of....
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The Priest is uneasy.

Wait until they start lining chicks up to have sex with him.  He will put 2 and 2 together when he recalls what that slave chick did when the Jarl died.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Priest is gonna get messed up on mushrooms and ale.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Drunken orgies, drugs, and fire.  Must be the preist's version of hell.  Or heaven, depending on his faith.  Reminds me of that tent scene in 300.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Priest just tripped his balls off
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
So will A.P. get 2500 yards rushing this season?

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
What was it that Ragnar did when he pledged fealty to the king? He was rubbing that wrist band, and the look on the king's face was interesting.  What was going on there?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What was it that Ragnar did when he pledged fealty to the king? He was rubbing that wrist band, and the look on the king's face was interesting.  What was going on there?

I was wondering that too.  Hopefully someone with a thorough understanding of Norse culture/history knows the answer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Ragnar's an asshole for sending his friend to be sacrificed.

You can tell they all see the whole human sacrifice thing as BS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Not digging this episode
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not digging this episode

It sucked !!

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not digging this episode

It sucked !!  

Agreed. Ragnar is reminding me of Clay in SOA.

On that note, is the king the same guy as the retired US Marshal from SOA?
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not digging this episode

It sucked !!  

Yup

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not digging this episode

It sucked !!  

Yup

He was also one of the yuppies in The Patriot
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]
sacrifice captives....wtf...

this is one road trip where I woulda stayed home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I just watched the encore and I'm getting annoyed with Ragnar's persistent smirk. I'm not sure if that's just the actor's thing, or it's part of the character as the writers and producers have made it.

His friend agrees to die in a bullshit ceremony, and the guy has a smirk on his face as he stands up and offers to die, and again when he's about to have his throat cut. WTF.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Sacrificing your best warriors(or at least strong/fit males) makes absolutely no sense.  Almost as stupid as sacrificing hot chicks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#21]
fucked up episode
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone else think that Floki may be a bit more than he seems? He seems a bit... too close... to the Norse gods, if you catch what I'm saying.

Floki is much more intelligent than s portrayed or let on.  I wouldn't be surprised if he knows something about Rollo.  

Possibly. Otherwise I think him harping on Rollo's conversion like that is pretty contrived. Either way, calling out the thin-skinned, insecure killer of the group seems like a bad idea.

I think it's a combination of Floki being a pretty smart guy, Floki being somewhat imbalanced mentally, and Floki being kind of a dick.

Floki seems to share a lot of characteristics with Loki...and the name seems to make the intention of the writers pretty obvious.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Looked like the 80's to me

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering that too.  Hopefully someone with a thorough understanding of Norse culture/history knows the answer.  

Perhaps it was meant to portray an Oath Ring.

Germanic/Viking peoples used to swear fealty and their intention to carry out deeds on one.

Oath breakers were considered to be slime

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looked like the 80's to me

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Meh, 1980s, 780s, it's all the same, except for MTV.

If this show keeps killing off its best actors, they are seriously going to have a lack of talent come next season.  I'm picturing Techno Viking in at least one battle scene.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep.... Missed last nights episode due to drinking + GoT.

Can't wait to get off work so that I can catch up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Pretty pissed Leif is dead.  I think Ragnar will be missing him at his back in the near future.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I predict floki killing rollo
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Floki seems to share a lot of characteristics with Loki...and the name seems to make the intention of the writers pretty obvious.

Maybe so, but the historical Floki might also be source material. They haven't hesitated to plug in other character names of people with real historical counter-parts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrafna-Fl%C3%B3ki_Vilger%C3%B0arson

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, Floki isn't afraid of anything human.  He was wigging on the first run of the new boat when the weather got snotty, but he'll fight anything with hands and feet.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sacrificing your best warriors(or at least strong/fit males) makes absolutely no sense.  Almost as stupid as sacrificing hot chicks.

Yeah that is really stupid. Sacrifice slaves/captives, not your own people.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#33]
It sucks they killed off the most badass guys already. Floki I think is the most dangerous guy in the series. Smart as shit and not quite all there with a side of ruthless badass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing that's why Ragnar chose the priest.

But to be fair, Ragnar looked kind of upset about it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just watched it again on the DVR...

Indeed that was Ragnar pledging his fealty to the king and swearing his pledge on his ring.

When a Northman swore an oath on his ring it was considered to be serious business

Oath breakers were viewed as scum
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Historically it was captives of war and criminals that were sacrificed to the Gods.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Didn't Rollo rape Ragnar's wife early in the series? Like right before they went on their first voyage West?
Is it Rollo's baby that she miscarried?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Didn't Rollo rape Ragnar's wife early in the series? Like right before they went on their first voyage West?
Is it Rollo's baby that she miscarried?

No, he tried to though
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Whats wrong with Ragnar's current son? I can see that they would like to have another boy, but they constantly talk about it like the elder son does not exist and everything rides on having another boy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

maybe when he finds out Rollo raped his servant girl? I keep waiting for that to be brought up.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Ragnar's current son? I can see that they would like to have another boy, but they constantly talk about it like the elder son does not exist and everything rides on having another boy.

The more sons he has the more his reputation will increase among the people.

So, the more the merrier
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Last two episodes sucked, esp last night's. I"m not liking Ragnar too much lately.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'm no expert on Nordic history, but I'm guessing that the more sons you have as offspring, the stronger your family becomes and the stronger your line of succession becomes.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Dug this episode although it was 'different'.  Priest flipping his beliefs or pretending to, the sacrifice dilemma, tripping on shrooms, the religious symbolism, Vikings doing a carnal and gruesome kind of ceremony/party.

Old testament has plenty of sacrifices not much worse than on this episode.

Sad to think this is over next week.  This has been one of the best tv or movie experiences I have had in years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dug this episode although it was 'different'.  Priest flipping his beliefs or pretending to, the sacrifice dilemma, tripping on shrooms, the religious symbolism, Vikings doing a carnal and gruesome kind of ceremony/party.

Sad to think this is over next week.  This has been one of the best tv or movie experiences I have had in years.

Interesting that you mentioned the Old Testament.  Initially I was thinking this was barbaric, but then realized there was a lot of this type of behavior described in the OT and it was probably very common.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically it was captives of war and criminals that were sacrificed to the Gods.

I'm not sure where the producers were inspired towards voluntary human sacrifice. There's archaeological evidence for sacrifice - both contextual and depicted in artifacts.  None found, that I'm aware, at either Leire or Uppsalla, although there's testimonial and artifactual. At both sites, its accepted humans were sacrificed during enneadic events - slaves, voluntary or other, not sure any discriminating evidence exists. Perhaps the story of King Aun sacrificing his 9 sons influenced them.
Norse, like most early societies, killed with little compunction - not much of a leap to see voluntary sacrifice. But AFAIK - its a leap.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why the whole thing was a sham.  A sacrifice is supposed to be giving something of great value to the gods.  It's not a sacrifice if it doesn't mean much.  I'm guessing that's why the practice died out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why the whole thing was a sham.  A sacrifice is supposed to be giving something of great value to the gods.  It's not a sacrifice if it doesn't mean much.  I'm guessing that's why the practice died out.

Which actually makes sense if young, fit, warrior males were sacrificed. It isn't much of a *sacrifice* if you offer the gods a criminal or POW, neither of which you give a shit about.

Stupid practice either way though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting that you mentioned the Old Testament.  Initially I was thinking this was barbaric, but then realized there was a lot of this type of behavior described in the OT and it was probably very common.  

Human sacrifice was condemned by God and the Jews. I can think of only a few rare instances where it came up in the Old Testament.

This show is great---I missed the episode where the Jarl was killed, so I'll have to look it up. Floki is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Captives of war were valuable as they could be sold as slaves.

The practice died out with the adoption of Christianity
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top