Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Been trying to get ahold of someone so I can check and see if I will still get food stamps.  No one is answering phones!! How am I gonna eat?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The memo is already out, contents tweeted Dec. 22.

The shutdown means that there is no longer any Constitutional protection for office holders as they are not in session.

Session's hands is another matter.

Chuck Schumer overplayed his hand.

I'd start looking for a lot more plane flights with transponders turned off. GTMO is underutilized as a national asset.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And you're now making more money than you ever did in the private sector?  You all still use the
term civil service?
View Quote
Actually, I just got back to where I am making the same gross salary I made in the private sector in the last job I had before going civil service.  I am still not back to where I was in 2013 when I had to take that 15% pay cut.

It will be quite a few years before I get back to that point.

And as far as take home, i'm making a lot less.  I get the privilege of paying 4.4% of my salary to retirement.  That's not my TSP, and I won't get that back (the best i'll get is 1.1% of it.)  Its "other people's retirement."  So my net is whole lot less than the last time I was even close to this gross salary.

But as I said, i've had far better opportunities for personal growth than I ever did in the private sector.

And, if I would have stayed in the private sector, I would have had to take a job paying $30,000 less than my last private sector job.  It would have put my salary back to what I was earning in 2000.  Again, the job market here was decimated and there is a glut of experienced people, so salaries are very low.

So, my choice was to take another pay cut and go to work for the governemnt, or continue in the private sector and make $30,000 less a year.  What would you have done?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You could do it in my agency but you would need to start before 25 or have millitary time.  Otherwise minimum age is 53 and you get forced out at 57.
View Quote
I've always thought that was an odd age to pick. How did the powers that be arrive at that number
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.
There's a difference between running efficiently and gutting, which you're apparently in favor of.
View Quote
Tell us how much energy the Dept of energy has produced since its inception.
The department of education has destroyed our schools and is nothing more than a vehicle for indoctrination.
We have 71 armed agencies in this federal government.

Plenty of stuff that can be gutted and plenty of stuff that can be downsized.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The department of education has destroyed our schools and is nothing more than a vehicle for indoctrination.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wouldn't.
There's a difference between running efficiently and gutting, which you're apparently in favor of.

I'm all for cutting the heck out of many agencies in an orderly fashion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the body count so far?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
So is it time to add third holes and shoot machine guns up in the air like they already do a few miles away?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Department of Energy doesn't PRODUCE energy; does that make its job unimportant.
The fact that there are 71 agencies who arm a portion of their employees is an unimportant statistic
Gutted, no. Run more efficiently, yes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually, I just got back to where I am making the same gross salary I made in the private sector in the last job I had before going civil service.  I am still not back to where I was in 2013 when I had to take that 15% pay cut.

It will be quite a few years before I get back to that point.

And as far as take home, i'm making a lot less. I get the privilege of paying 4.4% of my salary to retirement.  That's not my TSP, and I won't get that back (the best i'll get is 1.1% of it.)  Its "other people's retirement."  So my net is whole lot less than the last time I was even close to this gross salary.

But as I said, i've had far better opportunities for personal growth than I ever did in the private sector.

And, if I would have stayed in the private sector, I would have had to take a job paying $30,000 less than my last private sector job.  It would have put my salary back to what I was earning in 2000.  Again, the job market here was decimated and there is a glut of experienced people, so salaries are very low.

So, my choice was to take another pay cut and go to work for the governemnt, or continue in the private sector and make $30,000 less a year.  What would you have done?
View Quote
I get the privilege of paying 13% into social security

But as I said, i've had far better opportunities for personal growth than I ever did in the private sector

Well duh, you work in an organization that has no fiscal accountability.  Just curious, are you part of a union, like SEIU?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wonder how many government employees could actually survive in the private sector?
View Quote
Yeah because no veteran has ever gotten a private sector job, right? Fucking retarded statement.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Trump should use this as a paring down experiment.  If DJT dumped 90% of the staff at ATF, Dept of Ed, EPA, BLM and Bureau of Indian Afairs, that would eliminate 104,000 jobs, at an average salary of $85k means an $8b savings.

What other Dept should be cut and how many “employees” there?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I get the privilege of paying 13% into social security

But as I said, i've had far better opportunities for personal growth than I ever did in the private sector

Well duh, you work in an organization that has no fiscal accountability.  Just curious, are you part of a union, like SEIU?
View Quote
So do federal employees.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the body count so far?
View Quote
Tough to say in my area.  So many dead bodies.  So many burning houses.  So many roaming gangs.

I guess I’ll just stay here in my closet clutching my rifle.  Hopefully the gov will come and save me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe my sarcasm was a little too over the top for you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And you're now making more money than you ever did in the private sector?  You all still use the
term civil service?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I survived and thrived in IT in the private sector for 23 years before going civil service.

Why did I go to work for the Government?  After Obama's recession/depression, coupled with sequestration, the IT job market in this area was decimated.  IT companies moved, heavily downsized or closed their doors.  The ones that survived all cut salaries and told people "Be thankful you have a job."  I took a 15% pay cut in 2013 just to keep my job.

My job was coming to an end and I was not able to move for several reasons.  I could have either gone to work for the government and kept most of my salary, or I could have stayed in the private sector and taken a nearly 50% pay cut when I got a new job.
term civil service?
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. Literally none.  You're like Pelosi talking about assault rifles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain your sarcasm, because I'm not sure how your original post could be taken as such.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Some of these suits are just wasting oxygen. Others want America to crumble
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah because no veteran has ever gotten a private sector job, right? Fucking retarded statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how many government employees could actually survive in the private sector?
We exempt our veterans when we speak ill of government employees.  It doesn't need to be addressed, it's already implied.  Everybody knows this.  You know it too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The military is a constitutionally necessary agency.  I support them 100%.
I'm speaking of the bureaucrats.  Go read the 10th amendment, it's part of the bill of rights in this
pesky document called the Constitution of the United States.  Sorry that you can't see what this
monstrosity of a Federal government has become.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I noticed the black helicopters have slowed down since early morning.

Now's your chance, they're not watching
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Department of Energy doesn't PRODUCE energy; does that make its job unimportant.
The fact that there are 71 agencies who arm a portion of their employees is an unimportant statistic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm at the point now that we need to gut the FBI and DOJ in order to make it run more efficiently and HONESTLY.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm doing the same thing I did in the private sector. I think that I could struggle on somehow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm speaking of the bureaucrats.  Go read the 10th amendment, it's part of the bill of rights in this
pesky document called the Constitution of the United States.  Sorry that you can't see what this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you still did not answer my question, but rather tried to do some bullshit guilt trip.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All these shutdown threads have me laughing

Meanwhile the gov employees will be back to work soon and laughing at everyone when they're retiring before 50 with full pension
View Quote
What is this pension of which you speak?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gov shutdown is just a paid vacation for Federal employees, and it doesn't count against their official vacation time

When the Congress gets their heads out of their asses, they'll pass a resolution to pay their employees for the time they stayed at home while we all went to work!

Your taxes at work!
View Quote
ding ding ding!

they'll all get paid, later, for doing nothing, now

sitting here at work today i'm struggling to find any fucks to give
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gov shutdown is just a paid vacation for Federal employees, and it doesn't count against their official vacation time

When the Congress gets their heads out of their asses, they'll pass a resolution to pay their employees for the time they stayed at home while we all went to work!

Your taxes at work!
View Quote
No paid vacation for me, I'll have to keep going in. We're funded differently so we won't run out of money as soon.
We did lose a day a week the last time they pulled this, once our money ran low enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just curious, are you part of a union, like SEIU?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just curious, are you part of a union, like SEIU?
No.  Not a union member, and will never become a member.  I'm not a fan of unions.  From what iv'e seen, AGFE collects dues and does nothing to help its members.

Well duh, you work in an organization that has no fiscal accountability.
Maybe the Federal Government as a whole, but my little piece of DoD operates under a budget and we are working right now on initiatives to save money.

FWIW, I also pay into Social Security.  Only the employees under CSRS did not pay into Social Security.

Gov shutdown is just a paid vacation for Federal employees,
Maybe, maybe not.  I met two folks earlier this year who are government employees.  One worked for the Navy, one for DLA.  Both of them told me that they did not get paid for the shutdown in 2013.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#31]
FSA is purging and rioting as we speak.

They need their Obama phones to work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fucking garbage.

I go to work don't get paid for an indefinite period of time, my leave next week is canceled, travel plans that I paid for...nah all canceled because of these fucks who cannot support our country over a resolution that has nothing to do with the budget.
View Quote
Wait, your leave next week is cancelled..... because the government is shut down?

Wouldn't a shutdown mean everyone is on leave?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your taxes at work!
View Quote
Now we need a politician with some balls to submit a bill that will give non government workers a tax credit for 2018. For every day of back pay issued when shutdown is over "We the People" get the same amount of days of income returned to us. (not just the tax but the total income)

Hit them back in their pocket.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wait, your leave next week is cancelled..... because the government is shut down?

View Quote
Since we're furloughed without pay, and annual leave is considered leave with pay, we can't take our leave during a shut down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And you still did not answer my question, but rather tried to do some bullshit guilt trip.
View Quote
My statement was "how many".  That does not imply "all".  Our federal government is
chocked full of dead weight.  It takes an act of congress to fire someone, which in turn
creates a lackadaisical attitude that would not get tolerated in the private sector.  The military
or at least the old military had a completely different approach.  Those men and women are
disciplined.  I have done a lot and I mean a lot of hiring over the years.  Veterans always  went
to the top the stack.  I knew they were dependable and disciplined.  So take your guilt trip somewhere
else.  You know exactly who I am speaking of.

Now, I am off to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.  60 degrees today, 30 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since we're furloughed without pay, and annual leave is considered leave with pay, we can't take our leave during a shut down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus if you are declared essential you can take no time off during the furlough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My statement was "how many".  That does not imply "all".  Our federal government is
chocked full of dead weight.  It takes an act of congress to fire someone, which in turn
creates a lackadaisical attitude that would not get tolerated in the private sector.  The military
or at least the old military had a completely different approach.  Those men and women are
disciplined.  I have done a lot and I mean a lot of hiring over the years.  Veterans always  went
to the top the stack.  I knew they were dependable and disciplined.  So take your guilt trip somewhere
else.  You know exactly who I am speaking of.

Now, I am off to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.  60 degrees today, 30 tomorrow.
View Quote
It takes a supervisor that does their job to fire someone.  It's not impossible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep just let all those inmates out cause they didn't do nuffin
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can't use the paid time off you earned, and instead have to work without pay, while the government is shut down?

I could never handle the level of derp involved in working for the .gov.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does this mean i can build an NFA weapon with documentation of it being built during a time of government shutdown, since the real issue of unregistered NFA is a tax evasion issue, if theres no government to pay taxes to at the time it was built, you're not evading them, you physically couldnt pay your taxes at time of building it.

View Quote
Man, you might really be on to something there, you go first, I'll watch from the safety of non-monetized Youtube....
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Veterans always went
to the top the stack. I knew they were dependable and disciplined. So take your guilt trip somewhere
else. You know exactly who I am speaking of.
View Quote
FWIW, i've worked with some really outstanding veterans in my career.  I've also worked with some that were the biggest slugs in the universe.  Sadly, i've also worked with some active duty military members that keep getting promoted and are absolutely worthless.  Two of them were E-7s and one an E-8......

Like veterans and active duty, you have good and outstanding civilians employees, and you have some slugs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#43]
What a glorious opportunity to show everyone that 90% of govt is not only non-essential but a useless waste of money!

Especially when fbho isn't paying people OT to barricade monuments, threaten WWII vets and even blocking off highway scenic view stops. What kind of a sick fuck blocks off SCENIC PARKING LOTS to prevent people from looking at the scenery???

My wife works at the VA and is begging to stay home. But she is a nurse and actually looks at patients unlike 99% of the VA so essential...
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not true, at least for me.  My drill was cancelled this weekend.
View Quote
Yep, sadly the reserves will probably take the hardest hit, other .gov have loopholes or should be shut off anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What a glorious opportunity to show everyone that 90% of govt is not only non-essential but a useless waste of money!

Especially when fbho isn't paying people OT to barricade monuments, threaten WWII vets and even blocking off highway scenic view stops. What kind of a sick fuck blocks off SCENIC PARKING LOTS to prevent people from looking at the scenery???

My wife works at the VA and is begging to stay home. But she is a nurse and actually looks at patients unlike 99% of the VA so essential...
View Quote
She must really believe in her job and helping the troops if she was begging to stay at home.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if that guy works in a federal prison, but if he does, wouldn't the leave he had booked for next week have already been planned for, so he wouldn't be on the schedule anyways? In the case, his paid leave just because unpaid furlough leave, right?

I really don't get how .gov employment works....
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can't use the paid time off you earned, and instead have to work without pay, while the government is shut down?

I could never handle the level of derp involved in working for the .gov.
View Quote
Yep i report to work miss my vacation and dont get paid
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not sure if that guy works in a federal prison, but if he does, wouldn't the leave he had booked for next week have already been planned for, so he wouldn't be on the schedule anyways? In the case, his paid leave just because unpaid furlough leave, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During a shutdown if you are declared essential then all leave is canceled.  Period.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Me head hurts reading this.  This is what politicians want when they shutdown the government people divided fighting each other instead of looking to the hill at the real problems.  Non-essential workers don't have to come to work and will be back paid the same as essential employees like myself that have to come to work and wonder when we will be funded and paid.  I am doing the same as I was doing in the private sector so I believe I could get along fine and I have a little emergency fund setup so I can go a little while before I am in trouble financially.  Unfortunately all government employees are painted with a broad brush.  Not all of us are mouth breathers sitting at a desk and taking up a space, while waiting for a pension.  A lot of people who support the wall would be surprised to know the people who would be responsible for watching the wall and patrolling the border would be doing so today without pay.  As stated FERS isn't as great as people think we don't get a hundred percent pension most us will be lucky get a 40 percent pension when we retire but it's after a lengthy government career.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do, and the guidance I received is all leave is canceled.  And if you call out then you may not be paid for time.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top