Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 224
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
46 years ago today, January 11, 1973, a date which will live in Infamy, the owners voted to allow the simple, godless, evil Communism of the Designated Hitter Rule to be adopted by the American League.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toronto unloads Martin and the Dodgers get back bacon? Winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russell Martin traded to the Dodgers for three bags of milk and 200 lbs of back bacon.
Tontoronto gets the back bacon eh.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Russell Martin traded to the Dodgers for three bags of milk and 200 lbs of back bacon.
Why would they need it? Back bacon grows on trees in Canuckistan. The air smells of maple and Tim Bits, everyone walks around saying "eh. buddy" and "I'm not your buddy, guy" while their heads flop around, and empty Molson bottles are the national currency. It's ten empties to the full and you can buy a new snowmobile for like 35 fulls.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Martin had to leave Canada because of rumors that he fucked an ostrich.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seinfeld - George Sleeps with the cleaning lady
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually liked Russ when he played for us...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did too, but in hindsight I think Cervelli worked out. I remember when we got him from the Yankees and I said "who?" but Cervelli has been a godsend behind the plate.

It's too bad he's one good concussion away from coloring books for Christmas from now on and Diaz just doesn't have "it".
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah and David Price was a shitty post season pitcher until he dominated in the ALCS and WS last year.

I'll take a 24 HR, .800+ OPS guy with solid defense over what we've had the last several years. Gotta get into the playoffs before I can bother worrying about how bad a guy might be in the playoffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and he was absolutely fucking awful in the post season. couldn't hit or catch.. which last time i checked is kind of important.
Yeah and David Price was a shitty post season pitcher until he dominated in the ALCS and WS last year.

I'll take a 24 HR, .800+ OPS guy with solid defense over what we've had the last several years. Gotta get into the playoffs before I can bother worrying about how bad a guy might be in the playoffs.
price also pitched in no pressure games. i know every post season game has pressure, but he didn't pitch any elimination games so it wasn't all on him. he did pitch his ass off though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
DeGrom one year $17 000 000.
View Quote
it's a shame he can't sign a $200 mil deal right now
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I did too, but in hindsight I think Cervelli worked out. I remember when we got him from the Yankees and I said "who?" but Cervelli has been a godsend behind the plate.

It's too bad he's one good concussion away from coloring books for Christmas from now on and Diaz just doesn't have "it".
View Quote
True but I feel like nobody on our team has "it"

I am just hopeful something sparks this season.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think it's a terrible situation to be in. I bitch about Nutting and Opie and Clint, but I see potential in the team. If Bell gets past his Sophomore slump and Dickerson stays up to snuff we at least have that.

I don't think the starting rotation isn't terrible with Arche, Taillon, Williams as the core. The bullpen is a dumpster fire, and the less said about "Our Nightmare" of a closer, the better.

OF course, Cervelli will anchor the back end of the battery, but I'd be surprised if he lasts the entire season. One more good concussion and they have to pull him once and for all. Diaz is okay, but nothing I want day-to-day. Stallings has been good in his few appearances, at least for a cup of coffee player, so maybe they''ll groom him to be Cervelli's replacement.

Bell at First, Frazier at Second, Moran at Third isn't a bad infield, and may even be good if they synch up, but we have no Shortstop and this plan to platoon Kung and whoever in the position is just an exercise is futility as far as that goes.

The Outfield would be great if we could ditch Polanco and Marte. Chisenhall and Dickerson would be a terrific base.

I still think the division is going to be a tight race between the Card, Cubs, and Brewers and the Reds are going to be really good. The Pirates are going to be the worst in the division, but more because the rest of the teams are going to be beasts this ear.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It takes more than one person to fuck an ostrich.

allegedly
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think it's a terrible situation to be in. I bitch about Nutting and Opie and Clint, but I see potential in the team. If Bell gets past his Sophomore slump and Dickerson stays up to snuff we at least have that.

I don't think the starting rotation isn't terrible with Arche, Taillon, Williams as the core. The bullpen is a dumpster fire, and the less said about "Our Nightmare" of a closer, the better.

OF course, Cervelli will anchor the back end of the battery, but I'd be surprised if he lasts the entire season. One more good concussion and they have to pull him once and for all. Diaz is okay, but nothing I want day-to-day. Stallings has been good in his few appearances, at least for a cup of coffee player, so maybe they''ll groom him to be Cervelli's replacement.

Bell at First, Frazier at Second, Moran at Third isn't a bad infield, and may even be good if they synch up, but we have no Shortstop and this plan to platoon Kung and whoever in the position is just an exercise is futility as far as that goes.

The Outfield would be great if we could ditch Polanco and Marte. Chisenhall and Dickerson would be a terrific base.

I still think the division is going to be a tight race between the Card, Cubs, and Brewers and the Reds are going to be really good. The Pirates are going to be the worst in the division, but more because the rest of the teams are going to be beasts this ear.
View Quote
A pretty fair assessment of the Pirates IMO.  Yeah, the division will be tough this year.  It will actually take fewer wins to win it IMO.  Reason being the two lowest teams are better and the top 3 won't be able to feast on them.  NL west will be easier this year so another 10 win season by LAD is probably.

My guess is 93 wins takes the NLC and I rank them Cubs, Cards, Brewers in that order as of today.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A pretty fair assessment of the Pirates IMO.  Yeah, the division will be tough this year.  It will actually take fewer wins to win it IMO.  Reason being the two lowest teams are better and the top 3 won't be able to feast on them.  NL west will be easier this year so another 10 win season by LAD is probably.

My guess is 93 wins takes the NLC and I rank them Cubs, Cards, Brewers in that order as of today.
View Quote
I don't understand your thinking. The Cubs lost the division tie breaker last year and lost the Wild Card game. What have they done so far this off season to make the team better?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't understand your thinking. The Cubs lost the division tie breaker last year and lost the Wild Card game. What have they done so far this off season to make the team better?
View Quote
Fair question.  Remember I make these predictions as a Cards fan so I'm no blind Cubs homer.

Last year ended with Mil-Chi tied 7 games ahead of STL.

I believe Mil in general over performed and can't repeat.  I believe Chi under performed and will improve simply from better years on their roster.  I believe STL has improved with additions of Goldschmidt and Miller.

That's how I get to a dog fight ranking of Chi>STL>Mil.  I could be wrong and likely will be but as of TODAY that's how I see it.  Offseason isn't over of course and midseason roster upgrades play.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
There is one word in America that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.' -Joaquin Andujar
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m getting really tired of all the Machado and Harper speculation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much how I see it but I’m less optimistic lol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fair question.  Remember I make these predictions as a Cards fan so I'm no blind Cubs homer.

Last year ended with Mil-Chi tied 7 games ahead of STL.

I believe Mil in general over performed and can't repeat.  I believe Chi under performed and will improve simply from better years on their roster.  I believe STL has improved with additions of Goldschmidt and Miller.

That's how I get to a dog fight ranking of Chi>STL>Mil.  I could be wrong and likely will be but as of TODAY that's how I see it.  Offseason isn't over of course and midseason roster upgrades play.
View Quote
I'm not feeling it.

Milwaukee won the division last year and made moves to get better this year. Cincinnati also made their team better.

Chicago didn't make their team better. St Louis didn't make their team better. Pittsburgh didn't make their team better. I think Milwaukee wins the division again, Cubs lose by 5 games, St. Louis could finish in 4th depending on how Cincinnati plays, Pittsburgh cheats their lying degenerate doping crooked asses into last place.

Fuck Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pittsburgh didn't make their team better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pittsburgh didn't make their team better.
Not true. we got rid of Nova and Freese. Yeah, I know the Cards fans love the guy, but he was an error making guy on par with Pedro Alvarez.

Pittsburgh cheats their lying degenerate doping crooked asses into last place.

Fuck Pittsburgh.
So what you're saying is?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not feeling it.

Milwaukee won the division last year and made moves to get better this year. Cincinnati also made their team better.

Chicago didn't make their team better. St Louis didn't make their team better. Pittsburgh didn't make their team better. I think Milwaukee wins the division again, Cubs lose by 5 games, St. Louis could finish in 4th depending on how Cincinnati plays, Pittsburgh cheats their lying degenerate doping crooked asses into last place.

Fuck Pittsburgh.
View Quote
Goldschmidt and Miller don't make St. Louis better?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not feeling it.

Fuck Pittsburgh.
[Steve]
Are they ex-Tigers? No? Then they are talentless fucks. Only Tigers and ex-Tigers will benefit the 28 lesser clubs.

I say 28 because the lying, stealing, cheating, degenerate fucks of Pittsburgh are less of a baseball club and more of an organized crime syndicate with Clint Hurdle in the role of street captain. Hopefully he ends up in a landfill with a couple .22s to the back of the head.
[/Steve]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

[Steve]
Are they ex-Tigers? No? Then they are talentless fucks. Only Tigers and ex-Tigers will benefit the 28 lesser clubs.

I say 28 because the lying, stealing, cheating, degenerate fucks of Pittsburgh are less of a baseball club and more of an organized crime syndicate with Clint Hurdle in the role of street captain. Hopefully he ends up in a landfill with a couple .22s to the back of the head.
[/Steve]
View Quote
Go on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

[Steve]

[/Steve]
View Quote
Miller is an ex Tiger..

They originally drafted him.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Miller is an ex Tiger..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Steve]

[/Steve]
Miller is an ex Tiger..

[Steve]
Imagine how much better the Racists would be if Lindor, Bauer, and Kluber were ex-Tigers. But the Racists don't deserve to be graced with the gifts anyone touched by the Tigers can give just by their mere presence.

Also, fuck Tito, fuck both of your buildings, and fuck Chief Wahoo, just on principle.
[/Steve]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Miller is an ex Tiger..

View Quote
Miller was never a Tiger. He was s piece of worthless shit who pitched like a fucking BP pitcher until he got traded, had a couple of decent years and fell to crap. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

[Steve]
Imagine how much better the Racists would be if Lindor, Bauer, and Kluber were ex-Tigers. But the Racists don't deserve to be graced with the gifts anyone touched by the Tigers can give just by their mere presence.

Also, fuck Tito, fuck both of your buildings, and fuck Chief Wahoo, just on principle.
[/Steve]
View Quote
Your fake hate game is weak.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I do try, but I just don't think I can conjure up enough hate and bile to make it convincing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do try, but I just don't think I can conjure up enough hate and bile to make it convincing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Can you name these two players?

Player A:

Attachment Attached File

Player B:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Those two unsigned prima donas
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Those two unsigned prima donas
View Quote
Incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Click To View Spoiler
I'll admit I sorta cheated. I figured A was a position player and B was an aging DH due to WAR difference.

I was thinking player A was who it was but I didn't realize  avg was so high. Impressive. Player B I looked at the SB total and realized it wasn't and old DH so that's how I figured that one out.

Player A is atrocious at defense and player B is average with good flashes. Which is the rest of the story. I'd like to see a dWAR comp too.

That is a good one Steve.  (Assuming I'm correct)
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
I'll admit I sorta cheated. I figured A was a position player and B was an aging DH due to WAR difference.

I was thinking player A was who it was but I didn't realize  avg was so high. Impressive. Player B I looked at the SB total and realized it wasn't and old DH so that's how I figured that one out.

Player A is atrocious at defense and player B is average with good flashes. Which is the rest of the story. I'd like to see a dWAR comp too.

That is a good one Steve.  (Assuming I'm correct)
View Quote
You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
White Sux have suposebly offered Machado 40 acres and a mule. Or was it 40 mules and an acre.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
White Sux have suposebly offered Machado 40 acres and a mule. Or was it 40 mules and an acre.
View Quote
On one hand Ill lmao if holding out for the biggest deal, causes everyone but the Sux to move on and hes stuck with them. Even just for the precedent it creates.

On the other I dont want that dick in my division. It sucked bad enough when we played the Os only a few times a year. 8 guys whiffing away. Machado bomb. Repeat. That dude always crushed the Indians pitching.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
On one hand Ill lmao if holding out for the biggest deal, causes everyone but the Sux to move on and hes stuck with them. Even just for the precedent it creates.

On the other I dont want that dick in my division. It sucked bad enough when we played the Os only a few times a year. 8 guys whiffing away. Machado bomb. Repeat. That dude always crushed the Indians pitching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder what would happen if Scott Boras said "we'll only take X and not a penny less" and everyone said, "pass." No collusion, just no one wanting to pay that much money. It's not like Boras can suddenly devalue his own client.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I wonder what would happen if Scott Boras said "we'll only take X and not a penny less" and everyone said, "pass." No collusion, just no one wanting to pay that much money. It's not like Boras can suddenly devalue his own client.
View Quote
Yeah I dont think the longterm "mega" contracts are gonna be given out like they used to. If MM or Harper do get one they may be one of the last few.

Out of all of them which ones were actually worth it? CC? Maybe ARod?

We can name about 40 duds. I dont think its entirely the owners being cheap or colluding, it just isnt worth it majority of the time. Especially since MLB contracts are always 100% guaranteed.

ETA: Mike Trout is a good one. Hes still gonna get another giant one again too. But hes Mike Trout.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Remember, we went through that last year, about how many hot players weren't getting the huge paydays they expected, and then someone ran the numbers and figured out the players were simply asking more than their talent and records would demand on the open market. It wasn't ownership collusion, it was simply the front offices not wanting to pay over inflated priced for goods.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah I dont think the longterm "mega" contracts are gonna be given out like they used to. If MM or Harper do get one they may be one of the last few.

Out of all of them which ones were actually worth it? CC? Maybe ARod?

We can name about 40 duds. I dont think its entirely the owners being cheap or colluding, it just isnt worth it majority of the time. Especially since MLB contracts are always 100% guaranteed.
View Quote
It seems like they feel it is too risky to give it to a young guy, yet will give it to a guy in his thirties.  It has always been a reward for past performance.

Every year I think this will be the year that they don’t give big money long term contracts.  I haven’t been right yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Harper had that one unbelievable season. 2015 I think? Where he put up 10WAR.

Hes still hasnt gotten near that point again, but he wants to get a big payday today because of it. Also he was probably the most hyped prospect maybe ever.

Trout will be a FA in 2021. His age 29 season. I could see him getting another giant long contract but hes proven every single year hes one of the best to ever play the game and every year he somehow gets better.

Harper or Machado aint no Mike Trout.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care if Machado signs with the Sux. I don't think their rebuild is going to work, and getting an asshole like Machado to teach their other young prospects to be assholes is going to fuck that team up even worse. Moncada isn't going to materialize into what he was projected to be, Carson Fulmer had to have Tommy John, now they want Manny to come fix the team? Yeah, not going to happen.

Sign him though. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't care if Machado signs with the Sux. I don't think their rebuild is going to work, and getting an asshole like Machado to teach their other young prospects to be assholes is going to fuck that team up even worse. Moncada isn't going to materialize into what he was projected to be, Carson Fulmer had to have Tommy John, now they want Manny to come fix the team? Yeah, not going to happen.

Sign him though. Can't wait!
View Quote
You've been warned before about the only Manny that is just Manny is Manny Ramirez.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#47]
The dickhead Cardinal fan in me checks in on Pujols every now and then to see how well he's earning his back heavy salary.

Last year for $30 million (including incentive) he batted .245/.289/.411
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The dickhead Cardinal fan in me checks in on Pujols every now and then to see how well he's earning his back heavy salary.

Last year for $30 million (including incentive) he batted .245/.289/.411
View Quote
He did us a favor in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He did us a favor in the long run.
View Quote
Would have loved to have him for $15mil for 7 years but yeah he did.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Would have loved to have him for $15mil for 7 years but yeah he did.
View Quote
Angels make tons of big moves that make everyone LOL. Hamilton? Gary Matthews Jr.? Pujols? CJ Wilson? Vernon Well? Grienke? We'll see about Ohtani.

I know I'm supposed to hate the Angels but how can I hate a team that beats the Rangers at bad moves? They've saved Texas a lot of trouble.
Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top