Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It continues to baffle me how people can claim Wilson is on par with, or even BETTER than, Rodgers.

Since the worst play in Super Bowl history back in the 2014 season Wilson has failed to even get past the divisional round and during his career has received fewer MVP votes than Tony Romo.

And don't give me excuses like "he plays on a bad team."  There were multiple years where, outside of the QB postilion, the Packers probably had the worst roster in the NFL.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed.

No quarterback in history has done and won more than Brady, with or without a great defense. If anyone attempts to diminish Brady's accomplishments by tying them to his defenses, you have to automatically diminish Joe Montana's accomplishments far more because his defenses were consistently good, many times great, and occasionally historic.

Brady is clearly the GOAT and the only reason to argue otherwise would ultimately be to sell ads on TV or radio.
View Quote

I know we (as a thread) have BTDT with this discussion, but my biggest gripe here is we JUST established it takes the whole team and now rings = QB's accomplishments. I mean, no stat on a football field is a solo endeavor, but at least positional stats narrow it down.

And the thing is, Brady has some legit positional stats and records to go along with all the rest, so the argument can still be made without ending up in this weird paradox.

edit: and sorry WG, this wasn't meant to come off as attacking anything you said, but I re-read it and I could see how it might be interpreted that way. I also am just assuming you're talking about post season success & rings due to the Montana comparison, as that seems to be the common topic of comparison between Brady and Montana, but if you meant something else sorry for misunderstanding your point. However, I'm going to leave it as is because people DO make this argument and I think the point stands for those people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hmm...I think you're wrong. Otherwise why would they put all those W's and L's next to the QB's picture in the graphics on the TV?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This just in, good teams win Super Bowls. QB alone not enough to finish out 20 game season. 51 other players required.

Hmm...I think you're wrong. Otherwise why would they put all those W's and L's next to the QB's picture in the graphics on the TV?

The funniest is when they give QBs head-to-head records against other QBs as if they are MMA fighters or something.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It continues to baffle me how people can claim Wilson is on par with, or even BETTER than, Rodgers.

Since the worst play in Super Bowl history back in the 2014 season Wilson has failed to even get past the divisional round and during his career has received fewer MVP votes than Tony Romo.

And don't give me excuses like "he plays on a bad team."  There were multiple years where, outside of the QB postilion, the Packers probably had the worst roster in the NFL.  
View Quote

To be fair, that narrative was only really a thing when the narrative was also that Rodgers was washed up.

If you believed Rodgers was washed up, then you would likely believe Wilson was better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The funniest is when they give QBs head-to-head records against other QBs as if they are MMA fighters or something.
View Quote

Yeah, it's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think I have ever seen a QB be given a bigger pass for a shitter postseason performance than Groot last season.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

To be fair, that narrative was only really a thing when the narrative was also that Rodgers was washed up.

If you believed Rodgers was washed up, then you would likely believe Wilson was better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about the narrative as a whole, but there were definitely people the media arguing that Wilson was just as good if not better than Rodgers who did NOT think Rodgers was washed up.  

Admittedly though, that doesn't mean much coming from some of them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
1st and 10 in the 1st quarter and Groot just throws it up for grabs and gets picked off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1st and 10 in the 1st quarter and Groot just throws it up for grabs and gets picked off.
View Quote

Yeah that was awful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Tennessee is wasting a shit load of snaps on Henry.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know we (as a thread) have BTDT with this discussion, but my biggest gripe here is we JUST established it takes the whole team and now rings = QB's accomplishments. I mean, no stat on a football field is a solo endeavor, but at least positional stats narrow it down.

And the thing is, Brady has some legit positional stats and records to go along with all the rest, so the argument can still be made without ending up in this weird paradox.

edit: and sorry WG, this wasn't meant to come off as attacking anything you said, but I re-read it and I could see how it might be interpreted that way. I also am just assuming you're talking about post season success & rings due to the Montana comparison, as that seems to be the common topic of comparison between Brady and Montana, but if you meant something else sorry for misunderstanding your point. However, I'm going to leave it as is because people DO make this argument and I think the point stands for those people.
View Quote

No offense taken, Mav.

I will add this about the GOAT conversation: right up until the 2015 AFC Championship game, I had still clung to the belief that the best quarterback to ever live was John Elway. Was it based on stats? Nope. Dan Marino had better stats and was a better pure passer than Elway. Was it based on winning? Nope. Montana won more. Was it based on Super Bowls? Nope, again Montana. It was based entirely on what I saw him do (and remember, I was a Patriots fan and HATED Elway as an opposing player). Elway was the total package. To compare what he was to recent players, he had Aaron Rodgers' arm, Tim Tebow's body and running ability, Mahomes' elusiveness, and Brady's leadership. He dragged mediocre teams into the playoffs and even to multiple Super Bowls. That dude was literally Superman on the field.

But my opinion shifted as a result of the 2015 AFCCG. Obviously, Brady was highly accomplished by then. He had wins, stats, championships, all the necessary criteria to be considered on Mt. Rushmore. His performance in that game against perhaps the greatest defense of the last 20 years finally convinced me he was indeed the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. That Denver defense harassed, battered, and tricked Brady all game long. The Patriots had no business being any where within striking distance to winning that game, yet there was Brady, constantly driving the offense down the field in the face of a brutal pass rush and lock down pass coverage. Three times in the 4th quarter he drove them to within scoring distance and on the final drive he connected with Gronkowski multiple times on 4th down and ultimately a touchdown to get them within a 2pt conversion of tying the game. It didn't happen, but what he showed in that game leapfrogged him in front of Elway.

After that AFCCG, he went to three straight Super Bowls, winning two more and in the lone loss, he threw for over 500 yards.

Rodgers and Mahomes may be more talented, but in my opinion nobody that's ever played the position is better than Brady.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No offense taken, Mav.

I will add this about the GOAT conversation: right up until the 2015 AFC Championship game, I had still clung to the belief that the best quarterback to ever live was John Elway. Was it based on stats? Nope. Dan Marino had better stats and was a better pure passer than Elway. Was it based on winning? Nope. Montana won more. Was it based on Super Bowls? Nope, again Montana. It was based entirely on what I saw him do (and remember, I was a Patriots fan and HATED Elway as an opposing player). Elway was the total package. To compare what he was to recent players, he had Aaron Rodgers' arm, Tim Tebow's body and running ability, Mahomes' elusiveness, and Brady's leadership. He dragged mediocre teams into the playoffs and even to multiple Super Bowls. That dude was literally Superman on the field.

But my opinion shifted as a result of the 2015 AFCCG. Obviously, Brady was highly accomplished by then. He had wins, stats, championships, all the necessary criteria to be considered on Mt. Rushmore. His performance in that game against perhaps the greatest defense of the last 20 years finally convinced me he was indeed the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. That Denver defense harassed, battered, and tricked Brady all game long. The Patriots had no business being any where within striking distance to winning that game, yet there was Brady, constantly driving the offense down the field in the face of a brutal pass rush and lock down pass coverage. Three times in the 4th quarter he drove them to within scoring distance and on the final drive he connected with Gronkowski multiple times on 4th down and ultimately a touchdown to get them within a 2pt conversion of tying the game. It didn't happen, but what he showed in that game leapfrogged him in front of Elway.

After that AFCCG, he went to three straight Super Bowls, winning two more and in the lone loss, he threw for over 500 yards.

Rodgers and Mahomes may be more talented, but in my opinion nobody that's ever played the position is better than Brady.
View Quote

You're absolutely right, there are intangibles that factor in and I didn't mean to say they didn't by excluding that in my previous post. I only didn't mention it as it becomes a much more subjective topic. Brady certainly has been beyond in impressive in those as well, which again is why the simplistic "hurr durr rings" justification from other fans gets so tiresome.

It's like back in math class when you had to show your work and you got the correct answer but the way you got there was completely wrong. My teacher still marked that shit wrong because the point isn't to simply get the right answer, but to properly learn how to get the right answer
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
More evidence passer rating sucks:

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought you liked analytics?

If he bats it down, there is no positive result. If he catches it, he might end up running for a TD...or losing 10 yards...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Dez Bryant:

0 receiving yards.

0 rushing yards.  

15 penalty yards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dez Bryant:

0 receiving yards.

0 rushing yards.  

15 penalty yards.
View Quote

Well he had to get something on the stat sheet before half
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I never understood why teams even bother to field those punts.  If there is less than 10 seconds left and you're just going to take a knee anyway why the hell would you try to catch it and risk muffing it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know about "sucks," but it's definitely much easier to put up good stats these days than it use to be.  

The top 8 in career passer rating are all active players and here are a list of some of the players ranked higher than Dan Marino (38th)

Marcus Mariota
Matt Schaub
Baker Mayfield
Nick Foles
Colin Kaepernick
Andy Dalton
Mitchell Trubisky
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If he bats it down, there is no positive result. If he catches it, he might end up running for a TD...or losing 10 yards...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not talking about predictive decision making metrics. We’re talking about metrics that grade based on the result of the play.

That play had a clearly negative result. The formulation grades it positively for passer rating when more modern metrics like QBR or basic EPA show it as the negative play that it is.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’m not talking about predictive decision making metrics. We’re talking about metrics that grade based on the result of the play.

That play had a clearly negative result. The formulation grades it positively for passer rating when more modern metrics like QBR or basic EPA show it as the negative play that it is.
View Quote

I'm just kidding.

Even a guy like Lamar is going to end up with a negative play more often than not in that situation, batting it down is the smart move.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
"Sprinkles!"

That gets me every time, you know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
"That was a great catch and they're going to get intentional grounding too."

A phrase I have never heard in my life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Horrible 1st and goal set of downs for the Titans there
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"That was a great catch and they're going to get intentional grounding too."

A phrase I have never heard in my life.
View Quote

Yeah that was
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Henry is averaging 2 YPC and they keep feeding him the ball.

Combine that with some 4th down decision, and Vrabel might be the team’s weakness.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Combine that with some 4th down decision, and Vrabel might be the team's weakness.
View Quote

Looks like they are playing him pretty similar to how the Packers did. 5 man front and make Tannehill beat them over the top.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
uuuuuhhh that kick hurt...getting interesting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
uuuuuhhh that kick hurt...getting interesting.
View Quote

Great field position for TN to do something now
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Speaking of AJ Brown's physique...

Does any other NFL team have as big of WR's as TN? When they all split it out it looks like they have nothing but TE's as WR's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Down by 4, 10 minutes left, ball on your opponent's 40, 4th and 2....

...and you punt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...and you punt.
View Quote

OOOFFFF
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looks like they are playing him pretty similar to how the Packers did. 5 man front and make Tannehill beat them over the top.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combine that with some 4th down decision, and Vrabel might be the team's weakness.

That’s dumb. Tannehill is one of the best pocket passers in the league right now.

Stacking the box is working because Tennessee is stubbornly sending their downs down the toilet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That’s dumb. Tannehill is one of the best pocket passers in the league right now.

Stacking the box is working because Tennessee is stubbornly sending their downs down the toilet.
View Quote

If you're DB's are good enough to hold up while your line applies pressure, it works.

Both GB and BAL have a good pass rush and good DB's. BAL's are probably better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

...and you punt.
View Quote

One of the worst punt decisions I’ve seen all season.

Vrabel is failing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's dumb. Tannehill is one of the best pocket passers in the league right now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's dumb. Tannehill is one of the best pocket passers in the league right now.

Not sure why you think that's "dumb". Against the Packers with a 5 man front he went 11/24 121 yards 1 TD 2 INT 40.5 passer rating. Henry was held to 4.3 YPC 98 yards.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Is there ever a situation in which the losing team has the ball on their opponent's 40 or better, has it 4th and 2 or better, and it makes sense mathematically to punt the ball?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is there ever a situation in which the losing team has the ball on their opponent's 40 or better, has it 4th and 2 or better, and it makes sense mathematically to punt the ball?
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Vrabel can’t be a coach anymore. He must retire in shame.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
lol celebrating on the logo
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#41]
A QB throwing an INT inside of two minutes when he is down by 7 "might come back to haunt him."

I'm pretty sure that was the same moron that made the "great catch and there is intentionally grounding" line.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#42]
His offense only managed to find the end zone twice against a team with a depleted defense, but Groot finally got his first playoff win.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I have literally heard homeless drug addicts that almost certainly suffer from a mental disorder yelling/rambling on the sidewalk that sound more intelligent and coherent than Groot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
His offense only managed to find the end zone twice against a team with a depleted defense, but Groot finally got his first playoff win.
View Quote

And now its going to be super annoying hearing him get hyped up again.

179 yards 0 passing TD 1 INT 5 sacks and 74.8 passer rating will become an 'MVP level of play' story line
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have literally heard homeless drug addicts that almost certainly suffer from a mental disorder yelling/rambling on the sidewalk that sound more intelligent and coherent than Groot.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're not wrong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I forgot, this is the Nickelodeon game.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Vrabel can’t be a coach anymore. He must retire in shame.
View Quote

I love the surrender index.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

God does not give with both hands.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Assuming you guys aren't watching the Nick version of the broadcast, so far it's super annoying but only because of Nate "I played football" Burleson.

But other than that it's kinda cool. The graphics are all like what was in my screenshot, and the commentary is targeted directly to kids. They're referencing other Nick programming or making comparison to kid type situations. So if you're a kid who has no idea what football is, they're doing a good job of making it understandable. But overall, as an adult who watches football it's obviously not for me and it's hard to enjoy.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top