Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

as someone posted earlier, i'm starting to think the cap is more like an artificial construct, much like our national budget. every year or so, we hear about this great federal budget crisis, and 'omg what are we gonna do' and then the feds just increase the budget.

my point being, this new lower cap is going to fuck a lot of players. why not keep it higher? each team could afford a $210 mil budget over a $180 mil one.

is it more about what's in the CBA? seems like this hurts both teams and players.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

as someone posted earlier, i'm starting to think the cap is more like an artificial construct, much like our national budget. every year or so, we hear about this great federal budget crisis, and 'omg what are we gonna do' and then the feds just increase the budget.

my point being, this new lower cap is going to fuck a lot of players. why not keep it higher? each team could afford a $210 mil budget over a $180 mil one.

is it more about what's in the CBA? seems like this hurts both teams and players.

Well it is...

They agreed to base it off certain criteria, but there is nothing stopping them from inflating it if all parties agree to do so.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Well it is...

They agreed to base it off certain criteria, but there is nothing stopping them from inflating it if all parties agree to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it is...

CBA.

I believe the revenue share (salary cap) was bumped up to around 48% during the lockout negotiation (2011?), and it did NOT increase in the 2020 negotiation. But the additional regular season game and playoff games increases the revenue generation, so even at the same percentage, it does mean more money (but also more work).
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

CBA.

I believe the revenue share (salary cap) was bumped up to around 48% during the lockout negotiation (2011?), and it did NOT increase in the 2020 negotiation. But the additional regular season game and playoff games increases the revenue generation, so even at the same percentage, it does mean more money (but also more work).
View Quote

Yeah, an agreement between the NFLPA and the NFL/owners. An agreement made where they likely never expected a situation like last year. Playing the games, paying the players, but a massive portion of their income stream just vanished into thin air. We're at a point where players are going to start getting the shaft due to the lower cap, those players will put pressure on the NFLPA. Owners might not want player contracts to run wild, but at the same time they want to field the most competitive team they can and watching important pieces of their roster get shipped off.

Flip side is maybe owners see this as a way to push player salaries back down, but assuming things go back to normal "pandemic" wise the lower cap won't last and at best you're only going to have a handful of guys on cheap deals for a few years.

Not saying it's going to happen, but there is certainly motivation for both the NFL and NFLPA to alter the deal, even if just temporarily.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet there will be some real bargains to be had.  Could be a great opportunity for teams who will have cap room available.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Full details on JJ's contract.

$12M signing bonus.
$28M base value for 2 years.
$1M incentive in 2021 for reaching 10 sacks.
$1M escalator for 2022 base salary.
$1M incentive in 2022 for reaching 10 sacks.

He has reached 10 sacks in 5 of his 10 previous seasons, but only once in the last 5 years.
View Quote

Which is why I roll my eyes at some of his stats people bring up that were from a figurative lifetime ago as "proof" of how good he is now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
no need to worry about cheerleading scandals in DC anymore guys! skins are creating a 'coed dance team'!!!!!

i'd post a link to the story but even i'm not reading that shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually like this idea. Would mean teams that failed to make the playoffs would not get a jump start on hires and also removes the punishment to coaching staff on playoff teams that are not available for interviews. Should have just made it the week after the Super Bowl for interviews and hirings.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually like this idea. Would mean teams that failed to make the playoffs would not get a jump start on hires and also removes the punishment to coaching staff on playoff teams that are not available for interviews. Should have just made it the week after the Super Bowl for interviews and hirings.

View Quote

Is it a majority or 2/3 vote?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the rule change committee requires a full 75%.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep. 75% vote confirmed here. Also I support this one as well.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
no need to worry about cheerleading scandals in DC anymore guys! skins are creating a 'coed dance team'!!!!!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/05/26/a5052613fb02a24086f3a5667067cb71.gif

yes, clearly you can brag about cowboys having hotter cheerleaders than the skins!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yes, clearly you can brag about cowboys having hotter cheerleaders than the skins!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/05/26/a5052613fb02a24086f3a5667067cb71.gif

Cheer up.  They can't be much worse than what the Packers have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Kellen Winslow II sentenced to 14 years for multiple rapes and assaults against five women in California. Was the maximum allowed sentence under the plea deal.

Attorney blamed it on CTE.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Kellen Winslow II sentenced to 14 years for multiple rapes and assaults against five women in California. Was the maximum allowed sentence under the plea deal.

View Quote

I would be curious to see what evidence he produced to support that claim.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cheer up.  They can't be much worse than what the Packers have.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see references to the defense planning to present the evidence, but since it ended up being a plea deal, who knows. However considering he still got 14 years, it probably wasn't terribly compelling. Or the state is still acting under the premise that CTE is much like alcohol. It doesn't make people do things they wouldn't normally do, it just makes it easier for them to do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Raiders releasing G Gabe Jackson. Was on his 4th year of a 5 year deal.
Was owed $9.6M in 2021, ZERO dead cap. Frees up the full $9.6M.
Only $16.5M of his $55M deal was guaranteed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a bad pickup for them, they're probably going to need the WR help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If Cook can be had for the kind of contract GB had with him previously, I wouldn't mind seeing him back. He was a helluva spark when he came back from injury that season. I wouldn't pay him what the Raiders and Saints did though, GB doesn't need the TE help that bad.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Giants released Golden Tate and David Mayo, freeing up over $8M combined.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe he could go to Seattle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He should go to SF and become a Golden Tate Warrior.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Na, the QB there doesn’t have a wife he can have sex with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean, he could jerk off to Jimmy G's dates...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

or a top pot donuts shop to raid in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

reduce brees' salary? isn't this dude supposed to be retiring?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better start cutting.  They actually need to be below the cap to have enough money to sign their draft picks, correct?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dan Snyder be woke!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a cap move.

They turned his $25M salary into $1M league minimum to free up $24M in cap before the new league year in March. Then he will retire in June and be a June cut so they can split the remaining dead cap from his contract across 2021 and 2022.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Better start cutting.  They actually need to be below the cap to have enough money to sign their draft picks, correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have to be below the cap by the beginning of the new league year in 2 weeks. Teams that are not under the cap must immediately release players until under the cap, or the league will do it for them beginning with the most recent contracts, and then will punish the team.

After the beginning of the new league year no team may sign a player that puts them over the cap. League will not process the signing.

Draft is still a ways out, but teams will typically need $10M-ish in cap space to sign their drafted players.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think they can AFFORD to keep him? Highest cap hit in the NFL this year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Scheduled to have a $12.2M cap hit. $6M dead cap. Frees up $6.2M.

Still a big dead cap hit. Those will add up quick. Makes you think, he might not be worth $12.2M, but is he worth $6.2M? Because that's the cost over the dead cap you're gonna eat if you release him anyways.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mixed reactions from Steeler fans.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Still a big dead cap hit. Those will add up quick. Makes you think, he might not be worth $12.2M, but is he worth $6.2M? Because that's the cost over the dead cap you're gonna eat if you release him anyways.
View Quote

Can he and the team just agree to cut his pay to whatever the cap hit is? For some reason I didn't think they could.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mixed reactions from Steeler fans.

https://i.imgur.com/2Sym14B.png
View Quote

They better hope he comes back in better shape with a stronger arm. But glad to see him come back for sure!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can he and the team just agree to cut his pay to whatever the cap hit is? For some reason I didn't think they could.
View Quote

His contract was scheduled to be $9.5M base salary, $2.5M signing bonus and up to $500k in roster bonus. The reason the dead cap is $6M is because of the $2.5 signing and and additional $3.5M was still guaranteed.

If Desmond agreed to it, they could have reduced his base salary to $3.5M and he would have had a cap hit of $6M which matched the $6M deadcap. But that would involve him agreeing to take a $6M paycut and he would be playing for the money that was already guaranteed to him.

Realistically there's probably a middle ground. Maybe the Lions asked him to cut from $9.5M to $6.5M (split the dif) and he said no, so they released. Who knows.

But they have to pay him that $3.5M and he can now potentially sign with another team and have the double dip. Edit: There is no incentive for him to accept a pay cut unless he believes no other team will sign him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Screwed no mater what.

Steelers are not going to win another Superbowl with dumlin as headcoach!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#42]
This is actually the THIRD time they are back-loading on Ben in the last 23 months.
Signed a back ended two year extension in April 2019.
Restructured pushing back $9.5M to 2021 in March 2020.
Now signing an extension with a restructure in March 2021.

Edit: Fuck all that other shit, turns out they did convert to signing bonus but added 4 void years, extending him out to 2025 (technically, but all comes due on release).
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His contract was scheduled to be $9.5M base salary, $2.5M signing bonus and up to $500k in roster bonus. The reason the dead cap is $6M is because of the $2.5 signing and and additional $3.5M was still guaranteed.

If Desmond agreed to it, they could have reduced his base salary to $3.5M and he would have had a cap hit of $6M which matched the $6M deadcap. But that would involve him agreeing to take a $6M paycut and he would be playing for the money that was already guaranteed to him.

Realistically there's probably a middle ground. Maybe the Lions asked him to cut from $9.5M to $6.5M (split the dif) and he said no, so they released. Who knows.

But they have to pay him that $3.5M and he can now potentially sign with another team and have the double dip. Edit: There is no incentive for him to accept a pay cut unless he believes no other team will sign him.
View Quote

Ok, that makes sense. I was confused about it earlier.

You're right though, with the guarantees in play there isn't much motivation to take the pay cut. You'd have to really love the team and your teammates to do so. Even taking a vet min contract elsewhere would be better financially, at least short term.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Just deleted all that other shit because the tweet sources were assholes and misreported the facts. HERE is what has happened based on the most recent tweets (which could still be fucking wrong, dicks).
  • Ben accepted a $5M pay cut. It was removed from his 2021 $15M roster bonus.
  • They took $3M from his $4M base salary, and then the remaining $10 roster bonus and converted it into a $13M signing bonus.
  • They added FOUR void years (contracted to 2025). This spreads the $13M signing bonus over 5 years.

Long and skinny:
2021: $25.85M cap hit
2022-2025: $10.4M dead money, either all paid in 2022, or with a June release it will be $2.6M in 2022 and $7.8M in 2023.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#45]

He was scheduled to be a $4.5M cap hit, has $2M dead cap, frees up $2.5M.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's also a $5.8M dead cap hit for the Falcons.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's a pretty decent punter as well. This offseason is nuts. So many decent/good guys will be available in FA and there will be so little money to actually get them.

GB's punting has been rather inconsistent with JK Scott, a guy like Morestead could help stabilize that but at what cost? They cant sign him for a normal contract, they don't have the money, aka the same reason he was cut.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He's a pretty decent punter as well. This offseason is nuts. So many decent/good guys will be available in FA and there will be so little money to actually get them.

GB's punting has been rather inconsistent with JK Scott, a guy like Morestead could help stabilize that but at what cost? They cant sign him for a normal contract, they don't have the money, aka the same reason he was cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy will be 35 this season. He was on a $4M a year average. Saints take a $2.5M dead cap, but it is all for previous paid money, Morestead is getting $0 in new cash.

At a minimum he is getting $1M for the vet min. I imagine anyone who thought he was worth it could pick him up for $2M for sure.

Edit: His 2020 numbers were not great. 31st in avg punt gross. 11th for total number of punts pinned in the 20. Maybe he could be had for the league minimum. /shrug
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of punting: the Chiefs’ punter had one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a punter in the Super Bowl.  Was that extremely out of character for him?
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top