User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All of the above?

It lets him see what Super Bowl contenders may be interested in him.
It tells non-contenders that they are going to have to break the bank if they want to pull him.
It makes it easier for the fan base he is leaving to let him go. ("Go get your ring JJ!")
View Quote

I understand the sentiment, but if you're treating yourself as a brand (and that is exactly what players are doing now) it only hurts your brand.

Those super bowl contenders will look at you, evaluate you, and offer you. You'll go "lul that's half of XYZ teams offer" and those teams will go "Oh, he isn't bought into winning, he just wants to get paid. Nevermind, our offer is our offer and if that's not good enough have a good day, we'll move forward looking for someone who wants to buy in." Contenders are contenders because they're at least somewhat smart about roster building. They're not going to chase after a older player who appears to be on the decline, they're looking at you as a mutually beneficial arrangement and are extremely unlikely to let you break it off in them.

The non-contenders should already know they need to pay up, but if they don't you can tell them privately that for you to help their brand with your brand, they're going to need to pay handsomely for it. That's business, it's completely reasonable, and it doesn't give any false ideas to anyone. Brand stays intact.

The fan base goes all "yay JJ get ring!! woot woot!" and then he turns around and signs with a team where the chances of a ring seems to be significantly less likely than other places that were interested in him. They're going to feel played. They DO feel played, according to a childhood friend of mine who moved to Houston. She feels double played since he left Houston AND didn't sign with GB, but honestly that was always a long shot IMO. Having your fans feel played isn't good for your brand.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sticking with the theme of quotable movies... "Don't try and church it up son."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but they are dead last in their own division for Super Bowl odds with the 3rd highest team having odds TWICE as good as their's.

This was a pure cash grab for Watt which, TBH, kinda surprises me.

Yeah that is how I see it regardless of excuses. Nothing adds up but the money. Nothing wrong with it just don't dance around it.

Sticking with the theme of quotable movies... "Don't try and church it up son."

Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Which ultimately leads us to the question of... "so why do they say these things?"

Is to appear like a better person to us? Seems to backfire since it's obviously BS.

Is it to appear more desirable to potential suitors? Seems counter intuitive since they'll get the idea you won't be costing top dollar and when they find out that's not the case they'll be more inclined to move along.

Or are they just lying to themselves?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that is how I see it regardless of excuses. Nothing adds up but the money. Nothing wrong with it just don't dance around it.

Which ultimately leads us to the question of... "so why do they say these things?"

Is to appear like a better person to us? Seems to backfire since it's obviously BS.

Is it to appear more desirable to potential suitors? Seems counter intuitive since they'll get the idea you won't be costing top dollar and when they find out that's not the case they'll be more inclined to move along.

Or are they just lying to themselves?

I think it’s mostly #1 with some #3 added in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.

I for one don't give a damn if a player says they want to get paid as much as possible, so they don't need to say #1 for me, but I get it that there are still people out there crying about millionaires and a child's game. Fuck em though. You don't have to be a arrogant douche when being upfront about getting paid, and if you have zero self awareness and are clearly demanding more than you're worth you will rightfully catch some heat for that, but there's nothing wrong with simply wanting to maximize your earnings.

I think a lot of people don't want to be "that guy" though, even though they obviously are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree.

I for one don't give a damn if a player says they want to get paid as much as possible, so they don't need to say #1 for me, but I get it that there are still people out there crying about millionaires and a child's game. Fuck em though. You don't have to be a arrogant douche when being upfront about getting paid, and if you have zero self awareness and are clearly demanding more than you're worth you will rightfully catch some heat for that, but there's nothing wrong with simply wanting to maximize your earnings.

I think a lot of people don't want to be "that guy" though, even though they obviously are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

I’ve said it many times in the past that I have no issue if a player views football as nothing but a paycheck and he wants to get as much money as he can.  The issue I have is when they attempt to portray themselves as NOT being that type of player sometimes even blatantly lying about it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They're going to feel played. They DO feel played, according to a childhood friend of mine who moved to Houston. She feels double played since he left Houston AND didn't sign with GB, but honestly that was always a long shot IMO. Having your fans feel played isn't good for your brand.
View Quote

It's even better when you think about how he wasn't a free agent but asked the team to be released and they agreed. Of course they likely were going to be forced into releasing him anyways. They couldn't keep him at $17.5M, he has little to no trade value at that amount, and he wasn't going to restructure/extend.

But still. "I want to leave this team. I want to play for a contender and win a championship. Hello ARIZONA!" Bwa bwa bwaaaaaa. Sad trombone.

In the end releasing him was probably the smartest PR move the Texans have done so far this year. If they tried to hold on, force a restructure, wait to cut him in June, dick him over a little bit, the fan base would have eaten the Texans alive for not letting JJ go and seek out greener pastures/win that ring.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]

He was scheduled to have a $9.5M cap hit, his dead cap is $4.35M. They save $5.15M.

Makes him a 32 year old free agent. I'm sure someone will pick him up.

Edit: Timed with a tweet and a whole article on The Player's Tribune from Kyle

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's even better when you think about how he wasn't a free agent but asked the team to be released and they agreed. Of course they likely were going to be forced into releasing him anyways. They couldn't keep him at $17.5M, he has little to no trade value at that amount, and he wasn't going to restructure/extend.

But still. "I want to leave this team. I want to play for a contender and win a championship. Hello ARIZONA!" Bwa bwa bwaaaaaa. Sad trombone.

In the end releasing him was probably the smartest PR move the Texans have done so far this year. If they tried to hold on, force a restructure, wait to cut him in June, dick him over a little bit, the fan base would have eaten the Texans alive for not letting JJ go and seek out greener pastures/win that ring.
View Quote

Yeah, it was obvious to anyone looking that cutting JJ was the Texans easiest path to freeing up cap space.

If he was still playing like he did in his prime they could trade him, but since he wasn't and everybody knows they needed the space...FA was the obvious outcome. JJ asking for it certainly helped them in the PR department, but ultimately it also hurt JJ in the PR department. Asking by itself didn't hurt him, but the reasons given for asking and then his actions following did.

Maybe he was actually doing the Texans a solid that way...but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He was scheduled to have a $9.5M cap hit, his dead cap is $4.35M. They save $5.15M.

Makes him a 32 year old free agent. I'm sure someone will pick him up.

Edit: Timed with a tweet and a whole article on The Player's Tribune from Kyle

View Quote

He might not be an elite athlete at the position, but that guy was always pretty reliable and he would always get his plays.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He might not be an elite athlete at the position, but that guy was always pretty reliable and he would always get his plays.
View Quote

I think I saw an article where he said he was getting tired of blocking all the time and wanted to run routes and catch footballs
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think I saw an article where he said he was getting tired of blocking all the time and wanted to run routes and catch footballs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only watched a couple Vike games this season, but he did look like he has lost a step speed/agility wise. He certainly isn't breaking/running away from any tackles anymore. But the dude just has a huge catch radius. Would continue to be a redzone threat just with his size and arm length.

Vikings wanted him to take a pay cut, but even if he said yes you can already see that they are going with Smith as their TE1. He's young, on a rookie contract, and they gave him more targets and red zone looks this year.

If Rudolph still wants to be involved in the passing game then moving on is definitely the best bet. There is no shortage of teams in need of tight ends, especially veteran role model tight ends.

New England could use him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All of the above?

It tells non-contenders that they are going to have to break the bank if they want to pull him.
It makes it easier for the fan base he is leaving to let him go. ("Go get your ring JJ!")
View Quote

NFC West is pretty competitive division though is it not?

They went 8 and 8 last year and their defense is what held them back and IIRC they won the division back in 15.

Its not quite as bad as the Jets or Bengals.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They went 8 and 8 last year and their defense is what held them back and IIRC they won the division back in 15.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the above?

Definitely not as bad as the Jets or Bengals, but Watt had offers from GB, BUF and CLE.

And the division is even MORE competitive this year. With Stafford joining the Rams and the 49ers coming back from all their injuries.

If his goal was the Super Bowl, all three of those other teams offer an easier path. And then he made the comments about a team needs to have a young talented QB... Well, Buffalo and Cleveland both have that as well. Meanwhile GB has a future HOFer.

I don't blame him for passing any offer PIT may have made, they are so cap strapped that it was likely an insulting offer even if he did want to play with TJ.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm ready to tap F5 all day long next week. Cuts and restructures as far as the eye could see.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not as bad as the Jets or Bengals, but simply look at SB odds to see where they stacked up compared to teams like the Steelers, Titans, Browns, Packers, or Bills.

That doesn't mean they can't make it, and maybe JJ truly believes there is something special there, but right now most people aren't putting good odds on AZ getting it done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the above?

“Not quite as bad as the Jets or Bengals.”

Well, there’s a ringing endorsement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's not as bad as the Jets or Bengals, but simply look at SB odds to see where they stacked up compared to teams like the Steelers, Titans, Browns, Packers, or Bills.

That doesn't mean they can't make it, and maybe JJ truly believes there is something special there, but right now most people aren't putting good odds on AZ getting it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to the Steelers, Titans, Browns, Packers, or Bills it’s bad, but looking at their SB odds in their own division is even worse.  They are dead last and not even close to 3rd.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone think it is possible JJ's wife may have vetoed the contender teams because they are in crappy cities?

Outside of the Titans that is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone think it is possible JJ's wife may have vetoed the contender teams because they are in crappy cities?

View Quote

our favorite radio guy was talking about that today, b/c she's also a pro athlete and where would it be nicer to train during football season?

tho nashville is popping right now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn't shock me.  

There was a poll a while back that asked various current NFL players to list the teams they would LEAST want to play for and Green Bay was in the top 5.  Not because they are a bad team, obviously, but because not many people with options would want to live there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a possibility, but doesn't she play for a Chicago team?

With as big as that contract is, that really seems like the deciding factor...
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wouldn't shock me.  

There was a poll a while back that asked various current NFL players to list the teams they would LEAST want to play for and Green Bay was in the top 5.  Not because they are a bad team, obviously, but because not many people with options would want to live there.
View Quote

Even I can't blame young, rich, primarily black, and primarily urban raised players from not wanting to live in the GB area.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area and a wonderful area to live for your average joe, but it doesn't line up with the lifestyle of a lot of players. I've heard some players say they actually like the lack of distractions and the small community, but that has to be a minority of players. And once the snow falls....shit, unless you love winter activities like snowmobiling, hunting, or whatever then you're going to get REALLY bored.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Even I can't blame young, rich, primarily black, and primarily urban raised players from not wanting to live in the GB area.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area and a wonderful area to live for your average joe, but it doesn't line up with the lifestyle of a lot of players. I've heard some players say they actually like the lack of distractions and the small community, but that has to be a minority of players. And once the snow falls....shit, unless you love winter activities like snowmobiling, hunting, or whatever then you're going to get REALLY bored.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't shock me.  

I think Jacksonville was #1 with Detroit and Cleveland in the top 5 along with Green Bay.

For me, personally, Detroit would EASILY be #1.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think Jacksonville was #1 with Detroit and Cleveland in the top 5 along with Green Bay.

For me, personally, Detroit would EASILY be #1.

View Quote

Detroit and Cleveland aren't exactly awesome cities, but the reality is if you're rich you don't have to deal with most those problems. The biggest issue is they host terrible franchises. At least franchises can turn around with a hiring or two.

Green Bay seems like the #1 from a pure location standpoint. Unless you're a country boy who can't stand big cities, that small town atmosphere is going to bore people to death. And it's not like GB is turning into a metropolis overnight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Kansas City Missouri would be pretty high on my list.

Buffalo, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis. Fuck most of the Mid-West.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Buffalo, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis. Fuck most of the Mid-West.
View Quote

Trust me, KC has way more to do than GB.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt that. But it's still Missouri. At least I could drink Spotted Cow and other New Glarus brews in GB.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like a good contract. For the Dolphins anyways.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't doubt that. But it's still Missouri. At least I could drink Spotted Cow and other New Glarus brews in GB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you spent much time in Missouri?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a number of awesome breweries in KC.  Boulevard when tours are open is absolutely worth the visit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Cowboys game I’ve ever been to that was north of the Mason-Dixon Line was the 2009 Cowboys/Chiefs game in KC.

2009 Week 5 Cowboys @ Chiefs

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Speaking of which, have the Chiefs worn these helmets since then?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure you could get it in KC
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#35]
From 1983:

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#36]

I never heard of him playing for the Steelers. How did he get to play at Michigan after turning pro?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Wait so "Tom Brady" has won 11 Superbowls

If any one could win a Superbowl that occurred before he was born, it is Tom Brady.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Full details on JJ's contract.

$12M signing bonus.
$28M base value for 2 years.
$1M incentive in 2021 for reaching 10 sacks.
$1M escalator for 2022 base salary.
$1M incentive in 2022 for reaching 10 sacks.

He has reached 10 sacks in 5 of his 10 previous seasons, but only once in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They could definitely use him...and more!
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Saints converted $6.5M of DT David Onyemata's 2021 base salary into signing bonus, lowering him to minimum salary and decreasing his 2021 salary cap by $4.34M.

First of many many many many moves the Saints have to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Full details on JJ's contract.

$12M signing bonus.
$28M base value for 2 years.
$1M incentive in 2021 for reaching 10 sacks.
$1M escalator for 2022 base salary.
$1M incentive in 2022 for reaching 10 sacks.

He has reached 10 sacks in 5 of his 10 previous seasons, but only once in the last 5 years.
View Quote

Being on the line with Chandler Jones may help JJ.  Probably won't be enough blockers to constantly double team both Jones and JJ.  Maybe if JJ has more 1 on 1 blocking he can perform better.  Obviously he's not quite the physical monster he was in earlier seasons.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#44]
no need to worry about cheerleading scandals in DC anymore guys! skins are creating a 'coed dance team'!!!!!

i'd post a link to the story but even i'm not reading that shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
no need to worry about cheerleading scandals in DC anymore guys! skins are creating a 'coed dance team'!!!!!

i'd post a link to the story but even i'm not reading that shit.
View Quote

I saw that and just continued on. Did see the headline mentioned hiring former Laker Girl trainer or choreographer or some shit for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

as someone posted earlier, i'm starting to think the cap is more like an artificial construct, much like our national budget. every year or so, we hear about this great federal budget crisis, and 'omg what are we gonna do' and then the feds just increase the budget.

my point being, this new lower cap is going to fuck a lot of players. why not keep it higher? each team could afford a $210 mil budget over a $180 mil one.

is it more about what's in the CBA? seems like this hurts both teams and players.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

as someone posted earlier, i'm starting to think the cap is more like an artificial construct, much like our national budget. every year or so, we hear about this great federal budget crisis, and 'omg what are we gonna do' and then the feds just increase the budget.

my point being, this new lower cap is going to fuck a lot of players. why not keep it higher? each team could afford a $210 mil budget over a $180 mil one.

is it more about what's in the CBA? seems like this hurts both teams and players.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salary cap is a hard percentage of revenue.
Revenue was down due to loss of ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, parking, etc.
Cap goes down (for the first time since it was instituted).

The NFL and NFLPA already came to an agreement to borrow an additional $20M from future salary caps in order to keep the 2021 cap in the 180's, otherwise it would have been much much worse.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Salary cap is a hard percentage of revenue.
Revenue was down due to loss of ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, parking, etc.
Cap goes down (for the first time since it was instituted).

The NFL and NFLPA already came to an agreement to borrow an additional $20M from future salary caps in order to keep the 2021 cap in the 180's, otherwise it would have been much much worse.
View Quote

gotcha.. they gotta get fans back in the stands.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Gambo is reporting JJ's cap hit is only set for $4.9M in 2021. The only way I see that being true is if they included a void year in 2023.

Would mean, for cap purposes it would look like the following (to my best knowledge):

2021: $900k base salary, $4M signing bonus, possible $1M incentive, $4.9M cap hit, $23M dead cap

2022: $15.1M base salary, $4M signing bonus, possible $1M escalator, possible $1M incentive, $19.1M cap hit ($22.1M cap hit if 2021 incentive hit), $18.1M dead cap

2023: $4M signing bonus, $4M dead cap hit, $1M cap RELIEF if 2021 incentive is hit and 2022 incentive is not hit, +$1M cap hit if 2021 incentive not hit but 2022 incentive is hit
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top