Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]

As mentioned, he is definitely still worth something. Maybe not the big dollars the Dolphins signed him at. But he will be playing next year for sure.

Edit: His release was confirmed, this is his statement:

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shannon Sharpe calling out Mike Tomlin big time. Worth a click and a listen IMO.

Tomlin spoke out about the lack of hiring of black coaches, citing Bieniemy's situation. Said it is a critical issue. However it was pointed out that Tomlin has not hired a single black OC or DC in his 14 years as a head coach.

Tomlin's response was, "I always do what is best for our organization... I'm highly sensitive to it, but I don't regret (not having a Black coordinator)."

Shannon calls him out for that bullshit. Saying that other teams need to hire black coaches but he hasn't hired a single one.

View Quote
Tomlin should have been gone after the debacle in Denver playoff game.

All tomlin is
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Criminal then civil is my guess. But you know it's coming. If your attorney is on Good Morning America you're setting up for stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ariel's (the 5 year old girl injured by Reid's DUI son) family's attorney was on Good Morning America this morning.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/uNUtBpUQ6bvVgmrgo8GGkw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTUxMS41Nzg5NDczNjg0MjEwNA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/7htUsAfiiCKml0X_AvylnQ--~B/aD0zMjQ7dz02MDg7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/us.abcnews.gma.com/6d5bd347584656b419136cef01d35d8d

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/wCyw4UXrwLYXPzW8q8UvzA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTU0MA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/LjSVcWWKSMNIhqQNTNHDrA--~B/aD0zNDI7dz02MDg7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/us.abcnews.gma.com/b32b8b991176208f1056a72d3b927639

According to the attorney the little girl is still hospitalized and still in critical condition. She is awake, but she is unable to speak or walk. Likely has permanent brain damage.

"We're going to be advocating for the most serious charges and the most serious sentence that Britt could ever receive."

Anything about whether they'll be naming Andy Reid and/or the Chiefs in the lawsuit?

Criminal then civil is my guess. But you know it's coming. If your attorney is on Good Morning America you're setting up for stuff.

If the Chiefs are smart they'll settle out of court.  A prolonged trial like that would be a public relations nightmare for the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, and what do average vets make? Running down the list, the 16th highest paid is Brian Bulaga at 10M.

Corners? #16 is Logan Ryan at 10.3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Dak has mistimed the market. The Eagles regret Wentz, the Rams regret Goff, and the Vikings regret Cousins. Those are Dak's comps, not Mahomes.  

Now I think the Mahomes and Rodgers will still command that kind of money, but with better college talent and a lower salary cap, I think you see some downwards pressure on those second tier guys.  Is Dak really worth twice as much as Tannehill?

Not a chance. That 20M difference is worth a Pro Bowl LT and CB, in terms of the cost above just a good player.

You'd have to get very, very lucky to pull that off. Laremy Tunsil by himself is making $22M a season on average.

Yes, and what do average vets make? Running down the list, the 16th highest paid is Brian Bulaga at 10M.

We're not talking about "average vets." We're talking about your claim that $20M "is worth is worth a Pro Bowl LT and CB."  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would require a lot of luck to be able to acquire both those players.  Especially for multiple seasons with both of them combined making $20M or less per season.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If the Chiefs are smart they'll settle out of court.  A prolonged trial like that would be a public relations nightmare for the Chiefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ariel's (the 5 year old girl injured by Reid's DUI son) family's attorney was on Good Morning America this morning.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/uNUtBpUQ6bvVgmrgo8GGkw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTUxMS41Nzg5NDczNjg0MjEwNA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/7htUsAfiiCKml0X_AvylnQ--~B/aD0zMjQ7dz02MDg7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/us.abcnews.gma.com/6d5bd347584656b419136cef01d35d8d

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/wCyw4UXrwLYXPzW8q8UvzA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTU0MA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/LjSVcWWKSMNIhqQNTNHDrA--~B/aD0zNDI7dz02MDg7YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/en/us.abcnews.gma.com/b32b8b991176208f1056a72d3b927639

According to the attorney the little girl is still hospitalized and still in critical condition. She is awake, but she is unable to speak or walk. Likely has permanent brain damage.

"We're going to be advocating for the most serious charges and the most serious sentence that Britt could ever receive."

Anything about whether they'll be naming Andy Reid and/or the Chiefs in the lawsuit?

Chiefs settling is easy. Reid settling is tougher. Chiefs have pay off money. I don't think Reid has "little girl brain damaged for life" pay off money. Unless they settle jointly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We're not talking about "average vets." We're talking about your claim that $20M "is worth is worth a Pro Bowl LT and CB."  I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would require a lot of luck to be able to acquire both those players.  Especially for multiple seasons with both of them combined making $20M or less per season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Dak has mistimed the market. The Eagles regret Wentz, the Rams regret Goff, and the Vikings regret Cousins. Those are Dak's comps, not Mahomes.  

Now I think the Mahomes and Rodgers will still command that kind of money, but with better college talent and a lower salary cap, I think you see some downwards pressure on those second tier guys.  Is Dak really worth twice as much as Tannehill?

Not a chance. That 20M difference is worth a Pro Bowl LT and CB, in terms of the cost above just a good player.

You'd have to get very, very lucky to pull that off. Laremy Tunsil by himself is making $22M a season on average.

You're bad at reading.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're bad at reading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're bad at reading.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully before you two get into a lover's quarrel again.

It makes sense, you're both right, you're both just bad at explaining.

If a journeyman veteran corner/tackle gets $6M a year, and a Pro Bowl level corner/tackle get $16M a year (from my numbers), then $20M additional cap space is enough to UPGRADE from journeyman veteran to Pro Bowl caliber.

No $20M is not enough for both, but $32M is.

Now let's call it a day before you kiss.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]

What is this? A center for ants!?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm seeing reports that the Texans have released two veteran OL players.  Talking heads are saying this is tipping the Texans hand that Watson will be traded, because the team won't need veteran linemen without an expensive QB.

Just blowing smoke or where there's smoke, there is fire?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Jane Slater has been covering the Cowboys for the better half of decade so I've seen her a lot and she has one those looks where it's hard to tell how old she is.  One guy might look at her and say she looks like she's in her late 20's.  Another guy might look at her and say she looks like she's in her late 40.  It can also fluctuate depending on how she looks that specific day.

The fact that for years you couldn't google how old she was only exacerbated the curiosity for myself and others.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm seeing reports that the Texans have released two veteran OL players.  Talking heads are saying this is tipping the Texans hand that Watson will be traded, because the team won't need veteran linemen without an expensive QB.

View Quote

I don't see it. Don't see any news at the moment from the big names, and looking at the contracts I don't see any offensive lineman that can be cut for savings, the big money guys dead caps are too large to cut.

Tunsil has a $26M dead cap
Howard has a $7M dead cap (his 2021 cap is lower, cheaper to keep him)
None of their active guards/center has more than a $2M salary. Most are well under $1M (minimum).
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You're almost 100% backwards here.

Dak is easily better than Goof, Cousins, and Wentz.

More importantly, the timing couldn't have played out much better. Dak has Jerry by the balls, and he's pretty much in a win win situation. Tagging Dak is a terrible option with 2021s cap situation. Jerry's options are to give Dak whatever the hell he wants, let him go to FA... where he'll get whatever the hell he wants, or break the damn roster with moves to permit a tag.

It's not about what Dak is worth relative to existing QB contracts. It's about what Dak is worth relative to the other QBs available right now and whatever price the market will bear.

Dak doesn't just have the upper hand. He has pretty much the whole deck.
View Quote
He's got his good qualities, but he's not the kind of guy that makes up for weaknesses on a team like Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes.  He doesn't inspire greatness in those around him like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.  He's not a natural spinner of the ball like Matty Ice or Stafford.  The entire state holds its breath when he throws into a tight window.  He's a sold B+ quarterback who can win so long as he has all the pieces around him.  When he first came into the league, he had all those pieces.  That team was built for Tony Romo to make a run until he got injured.  Dak shined as you would expect in that situation, but he didn't take them to a Superbowl like Wilson or Mahomes or Rodgers in his rookie contract.  Now the Cowboys are getting pretty close to a rebuild, and you just can't afford to overpay for a quarterback in that situation.  

Frankly, if I was Jerruh I'd just go for the rebuild now.  Your pieces are getting older, you have a new coach, and a QB who wants the moon.  Tag him and trade him and start looking at QBs in the draft.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't see it. Don't see any news at the moment from the big names, and looking at the contracts I don't see any offensive lineman that can be cut for savings, the big money guys dead caps are too large to cut.

None of their active guards/center has more than a $2M salary. Most are well under $1M (minimum).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the story: Texans Releasing Senio Kelemete, Nick Martin Reveals True Intentions In Deshaun Watson Saga

Releasing two starting offensive linemen passively signals the Texans’ resignation of their ability to keep Watson. If Watson was already fed up with being the most hit quarterback in the NFL, do you think he’d stick around to play in a pocket with this cast of players? You couldn’t pay me the approximately $3 million that Watson could lose if he holds out for the entire preseason to come back behind this line.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tag him and trade him and start looking at QBs in the draft.
View Quote

This would be ideal, but we're in a down year for QB's outside of Lawrence and Zach Wilson (my personal opinion on Zach). Combine with an absurd number of teams looking for QB's / to change QB's, the draft this year is shit.

You would need to plan to move on in 2022.

I say place him on the non-exclusive tag. If someone wants to outbid, then they have to surrender the two 1st round picks, which sets you up for obtaining a replacement NEXT draft. Then just roll with Andy Dalton for a year or some other journeyman you can pick up cheap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Chiefs settling is easy. Reid settling is tougher. Chiefs have pay off money. I don't think Reid has "little girl brain damaged for life" pay off money. Unless they settle jointly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Financially it might not make sense to even go after Reid at all. But if your little girl has brain damage for life because of someone's serious fuck up you're likely pissed off and looking for people to "punish."  The lawyer is probably hoping for a lengthy trial also and giving them advise accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]

I'd rank Dumb and Dumber as the most quotable comedy of the past 30 years.

I'd probably have Zoolander as #2.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the story: Texans Releasing Senio Kelemete, Nick Martin Reveals True Intentions In Deshaun Watson Saga

Releasing two starting offensive linemen passively signals the Texans' resignation of their ability to keep Watson. If Watson was already fed up with being the most hit quarterback in the NFL, do you think he'd stick around to play in a pocket with this cast of players? You couldn't pay me the approximately $3 million that Watson could lose if he holds out for the entire preseason to come back behind this line.

Ah, they ALREADY did it. Which is why I didn't see those players on the current cap list.

Cutting Nick saved over $6M.
Cutting Kelemete doesn't really do much. He had a cheap contract, and he was graded in the 50's on PFF in 2020. Not worth keeping or extending.

I wouldn't read into it as moving on from Watson so much as moving on from the two of them. One for being a poor player, and one for a sizable contract savings when you're paying heavy to your two tackles.

Martin also graded very poorly this year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They're both very quotable.

If you don't have/didn't have kids when Finding Nemo was more popular I wouldn't blame you for not having seen it or paid attention, but that movie is also up there as VERY quotable. Especially when you've watched it 87 times because your kids like it. They did a really good job in making almost every single line humorous in some way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hopefully before you two get into a lover's quarrel again.

It makes sense, you're both right, you're both just bad at explaining.

If a journeyman veteran corner/tackle gets $6M a year, and a Pro Bowl level corner/tackle get $16M a year (from my numbers), then $20M additional cap space is enough to UPGRADE from journeyman veteran to Pro Bowl caliber.

No $20M is not enough for both, but $32M is.

Now let's call it a day before you kiss.
View Quote

Aw, and here I'm sure everyone was so looking forward to another one of TG's drunken tirades.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ah, they ALREADY did it. Which is why I didn't see those players on the current cap list.

Cutting Kelemete doesn't really do much. He had a cheap contract, and he was graded in the 50's on PFF in 2020. Not worth keeping or extending.

I wouldn't read into it as moving on from Watson so much as moving on from the two of them. One for being a poor player, and one for a sizable contract savings when you're paying heavy to your two tackles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Releasing two starting offensive linemen passively signals the Texans' resignation of their ability to keep Watson. If Watson was already fed up with being the most hit quarterback in the NFL, do you think he'd stick around to play in a pocket with this cast of players? You couldn't pay me the approximately $3 million that Watson could lose if he holds out for the entire preseason to come back behind this line.

I also don't understand the logic.

Fans/media: "Watson is the most sacked player!!! He needs help on the line!!"

Texans: *cuts mediocre starting lineman*

Fans/media: "This means they don't want Watson!! They're going to have to start bums!!"

Texans: "WTF? FA isn't even open yet nor the draft?

I mean give them a shot at replacing the guys before going all chicken little. I get it...the Texans are not very trusted right now but sheesh...
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you don't have/didn't have kids when Finding Nemo was more popular I wouldn't blame you for not having seen it or paid attention, but that movie is also up there as VERY quotable. Especially when you've watched it 87 times because your kids like it. They did a really good job in making almost every single line humorous in some way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably should have specified "non-kids" comedies as some of those kids ones are very quotable.  I think Toy Story might be the king of the kids ones. At least among the ones I've seen.  Of course I haven't seen many of them so there might be some better ones.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Can anyone think of a non-legal situation in the NFL this century more baffling than what the Texans have been doing?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I also don't understand the logic.

Fans/media: "Watson is the most sacked player!!! He needs help on the line!!"

Texans: *cuts mediocre starting lineman*

Fans/media: "This means they don't want Watson!! They're going to have to start bums!!"

Texans: "WTF? FA isn't even open yet nor the draft?

I mean give them a shot at replacing the guys before going all chicken little. I get it...the Texans are not very trusted right now but sheesh...
View Quote

You're not gonna get any clicks or follows with that attitude.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're not gonna get any clicks or follows with that attitude.
View Quote

Good. I was raised with the understanding that people following you was bad
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
And just to keep you people, who I know are wondering, up to date. Only 55 more days before the estimated arrival of my "IN STOCK" Brady Super Bowl 55 jersey...

Just in time for the fucking draft I guess.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I probably should have specified "non-kids" comedies as some of those kids ones are very quotable.  I think Toy Story might be the king of the kids ones. At least among the ones I've seen.  Of course I haven't seen many of them so there might be some better ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh Toy Story is a good one as well, haven't seen that in a long time though. You're right though, kids movies in general are pretty quotable so probably should separate them.

Speaking of Zoolander though, I haven't watched #2 yet. I have it, but I'm terrified it will be awful.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speaking of Zoolander though, I haven't watched #2 yet. I have it, but I'm terrified it will be awful.
View Quote

The fact that I didn't even know they made a 2nd one, means you should NOT FUCKING WATCH IT.

I can say the same about Anchorman 2. I couldn't even finish it, and I can usually finish just about any movie. Fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And just to keep you people, who I know are wondering, up to date. Only 55 more days before the estimated arrival of my "IN STOCK" Brady Super Bowl 55 jersey...

View Quote

Got it, thanks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The fact that I didn't even know they made a 2nd one, means you should NOT FUCKING WATCH IT.

I can say the same about Anchorman 2. I couldn't even finish it, and I can usually finish just about any movie. Fucking terrible.
View Quote

Anchorman, also very quotable.

And yeah, #2 wasn't good. I have that also.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#31]
As I expected. When the Texans spoke about wanting to keep David Johnson, they were not discussing an extension and moving the cap... They were discussing straight up cutting his pay. And he accepted.

Edit: He was scheduled to receive $8.8M in cash in 2021, but none of it was guaranteed. So now he will receive $4.25M guaranteed with a potential earning of $6M (unknown how much might be incentive based) instead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Local AZ sports guy is saying that JJ Watt ordered t-shirts for 4-5 teams he was thinking of signing with (for doing a Social Media photo announcement), but he was worried about the place he ordered from seeing his name and the shirts and leaking the info, so he had a friend order them for him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Screenshot_20210302-135314_2_png-1848437.JPG

While you are scheduling reminders, my Brady SB55 jersey is supposed to arrive by April 9th.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh Toy Story is a good one as well, haven't seen that in a long time though. You're right though, kids movies in general are pretty quotable so probably should separate them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you see Toy Story 3?  I saw the 2nd half of it with my nephew and I was kinda surprised how dark it was for a G movie.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I know multiple people who love Zoolander tell me that the sequel was one of the worst movies they have ever seen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#37]

He is due $5M in cash, $1.5M dead cap, $6.5M cap overall.

Releasing saves $5M, but the guy is only 27, scored average on PFF this year, has some potential trade value if they can deal him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This would be ideal, but we're in a down year for QB's outside of Lawrence and Zach Wilson (my personal opinion on Zach). Combine with an absurd number of teams looking for QB's / to change QB's, the draft this year is shit.

I say place him on the non-exclusive tag. If someone wants to outbid, then they have to surrender the two 1st round picks, which sets you up for obtaining a replacement NEXT draft. Then just roll with Andy Dalton for a year or some other journeyman you can pick up cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s the catch.

In any other year, the tag or a tag and trade would be perfectly viable options. This year, it’s really not. Tagging Dak in 2021 would cost $38M. The Cowboys have $19M in space. It would take some massive contract gymnastics (potentially roster wrecking stuff) to get a tag to fit under the cap, and once you’re there, then what?

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

While you are scheduling reminders, my Brady SB55 jersey is supposed to arrive by April 9th.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Screenshot_20210302-135314_2_png-1848437.JPG

Figured they must have the Chinese kids making these walking them up and over the Bering Straight. Your kid must be a little quicker.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Evf_4MYXAAA-lic?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

Not only that, but they are dead last in their own division for Super Bowl odds with the 3rd highest team having odds TWICE as good as their's.

This was a pure cash grab for Watt which, TBH, kinda surprises me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Did you see Toy Story 3?  I saw the 2nd half of it with my nephew and I was kinda surprised how dark it was for a G movie.

I can't speak from personal experience, but I know multiple people who love Zoolander tell me that the sequel was one of the worst movies they have ever seen.
View Quote

I think I've seen all of the Toy Story movies. Was 3 the one with the pink bear or whatever? At a daycare or something like that? 1 & 2 are the only ones I remember well.

I don't doubt Zoolander 2 being bad, sequels for movies like that are almost always bad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's the catch.

In any other year, the tag or a tag and trade would be perfectly viable options. This year, it's really not. Tagging Dak in 2021 would cost $38M. The Cowboys have $19M in space. It would take some massive contract gymnastics (potentially roster wrecking stuff) to get a tag to fit under the cap, and once you're there, then what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the catch.

In any other year, the tag or a tag and trade would be perfectly viable options. This year, it's really not. Tagging Dak in 2021 would cost $38M. The Cowboys have $19M in space. It would take some massive contract gymnastics (potentially roster wrecking stuff) to get a tag to fit under the cap, and once you're there, then what?

All the teams are doing a lot of cap maneuvering this year. Looking at the Cowboos, here's what I see that is easier.

Lawrence has a $17M base salary, can convert $16M into signing bonus, would save $12M-ish for 21.

Cooper has a $20M base salary, can convert $19M into signing bonus, would save $15M-ish for 21.

Tyron Smith has a $10.5M base salary, can convert $9M into signing bonus, would save $6M-ish for 21.

Elliott has a $9.6M base salary, can convert $8.5M into signing bonus, would save $7M-ish for 21.

La'el Collins has a $8.5M base salary, can convert $7.5M into signing bonus, would save $6M-ish for 21.

Jaylon Smith has a $7.2M base salary, can convert $6M into signing bonus, would save $5M-ish for 21.

Zuerlein can restructure about $1M savings.

Jones (P), if they plan on keeping him, he needs an extension now anyways, he is in his 5th year option. If you're extending him, you can move some of 21 into signing bonus for a little savings ($1M)

Williams (G), he's in the last year of his rookie contract, once again, if you plan on extending, can convert some 21 into signing bonus to save a little ($1M).

So that's about $54M that can be kicked down the road.

Edit: Looks like they are projected around +$20M right now. You need $38M for Dak, at least $10M for draft room, then some re-signings and free agents, which you can back load. So they really need right in that $70M range. So definitely would expect them to follow up with most of those moves, especially the ones at the top.

Double Edit: They don't have any more easy cuts to free up more room. So will all be restructures from this point on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think I've seen all of the Toy Story movies. Was 3 the one with the pink bear or whatever? At a daycare or something like that? 1 & 2 are the only ones I remember well.

I don't doubt Zoolander 2 being bad, sequels for movies like that are almost always bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something about a daycare does sound familiar.  I was surfing ARFCOM for most of it, but towards the end I started to pay attention and there was this scene where it looked like all the characters were going to get burned alive and then they stopped panicking, accepted their fate, and started to hold hands as they waited to be brutally killed and I remember thinking "damn, this is pretty dark for a G kids movie."
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All the teams are doing a lot of cap maneuvering this year. Looking at the Cowboos, here's what I see that is easier.

Lawrence has a $17M base salary, can convert $16M into signing bonus, would save $12M-ish for 21.

Cooper has a $20M base salary, can convert $19M into signing bonus, would save $15M-ish for 21.

Tyron Smith has a $10.5M base salary, can convert $9M into signing bonus, would save $6M-ish for 21.

Elliott has a $9.6M base salary, can convert $8.5M into signing bonus, would save $7M-ish for 21.

La'el Collins has a $8.5M base salary, can convert $7.5M into signing bonus, would save $6M-ish for 21.

Jaylon Smith has a $7.2M base salary, can convert $6M into signing bonus, would save $5M-ish for 21.

Jones (P), if they plan on keeping him, he needs an extension now anyways, he is in his 5th year option. If you're extending him, you can move some of 21 into signing bonus for a little savings ($1M)

Williams (G), he's in the last year of his rookie contract, once again, if you plan on extending, can convert some 21 into signing bonus to save a little ($1M).

Edit: Looks like they are projected around +$20M right now. You need $38M for Dak, at least $10M for draft room, then some re-signings and free agents, which you can back load. So they really need right in that $70M range. So definitely would expect them to follow up with most of those moves, especially the ones at the top.

Double Edit: They don't have any more easy cuts to free up more room. So will all be restructures from this point on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the catch.

The problem is, if Jerry does all that shit just to fit a tag under the cap, he’s still going to have all of the shenanigans surrounding a tagged player to deal with. If I’m Dak, there no way I’m humoring the idea of playing under the tag again. Let there be fireworks.

It’s time to pay the bill or move on.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Something about a daycare does sound familiar.  I was surfing ARFCOM for most of it, but towards the end I started to pay attention and there was this scene where it looked like all the characters were going to get burned alive and then they stopped panicking, accepted their fate, and started to hold hands as they waited to be brutally killed and I remember thinking "damn, this is pretty dark for a G kids movie."
View Quote

Got a chance to double check, I have it on my Plex server.

Attachment Attached File

You're right, that one had a dark tone for a kids movie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not only that, but they are dead last in their own division for Super Bowl odds with the 3rd highest team having odds TWICE as good as their's.

View Quote

Yeah that is how I see it regardless of excuses. Nothing adds up but the money. Nothing wrong with it just don't dance around it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah that is how I see it regardless of excuses. Nothing adds up but the money. Nothing wrong with it just don't dance around it.
View Quote

Which ultimately leads us to the question of... "so why do they say these things?"

Is to appear like a better person to us? Seems to backfire since it's obviously BS.

Is it to appear more desirable to potential suitors? Seems counter intuitive since they'll get the idea you won't be costing top dollar and when they find out that's not the case they'll be more inclined to move along.

Or are they just lying to themselves?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sticking with the theme of quotable movies... "Don't try and church it up son."
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Which ultimately leads us to the question of... "so why do they say these things?"

Is to appear like a better person to us? Seems to backfire since it's obviously BS.

Is it to appear more desirable to potential suitors? Seems counter intuitive since they'll get the idea you won't be costing top dollar and when they find out that's not the case they'll be more inclined to move along.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the above?

It lets him see what Super Bowl contenders may be interested in him.
It tells non-contenders that they are going to have to break the bank if they want to pull him.
It makes it easier for the fan base he is leaving to let him go. ("Go get your ring JJ!")
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top