Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What? Is Taylor Heinicke not good enough!?

The QB carousel keeps on turning.
View Quote

Not sure why Alex S. couldn't at least be on the team as a backup or mentor? I'm not up on his contract situation and cap hit though. I also don't know if his injury just won't ley him be a starter like he wants?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Talking heads yesterday were saying there was a chance Denver would be interested in bringing him in to compete with Drew for the starting job.

Chicago will likely be interested, but they are interested in about 30 quarterbacks right now.
Still hearing Jacksonville as a veteran backup to Lawrence.
View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Patriots.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not sure why Alex S. couldn't at least be on the team as a backup or mentor? I'm not up on his contract situation and cap hit though. I also don't know if his injury just won't ley him be a starter like he wants?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smith has serious injury issues, is in his late 30’s, has a net worth of $50M-$100M, has a beautiful wife and 3 small children.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he was up for joining a contender if he thought he would be the starter, but it wouldn’t make much sense for him to sign with a team just to be a backup/mentor.  Especially a team that’s supposed to be bad.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

here comes darnold!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Smith has serious injury issues, is in his late 30’s, has a net worth of $50M-$100M, has a beautiful wife and 3 small children.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he was up for joining a contender if he thought he would be the starter, but it wouldn’t make much sense for him to sign with a team just to be a backup/mentor.  Especially a team that’s supposed to be bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he can't stay healthy through a regular season. he kept getting calf injuries on the calf they took muscle from to repair the front of his injured leg. he also can't move for shit, and unless your team has tom brady, you need a QB that can scramble.

great guy with a great story and great comeback. hopefully he can mentor another young qb or like HK said, maybe find the perfect situation to win something, but i think that may be unlikely.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some of those guys just can't/won't give up. Matt Hasselbeck rode the pine behind Luck for 3 years, obviously he got to play due to Luck's injuries. But that dude didn't need any more money, he was old and beat up. He had nice looking wife and kids just like Smith.
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]

They are just hoping someone bites before they release him. Last year of his contract, due $11.28M in cash, no dead cap. If they don't troll something for him on the market they will release him before the league year starts.

Edit: There is still the possibility of restructuring if he agreed to a pay cut. Since he has 0 guaranteed money at this point, I am sure he is well aware his market value will be DRASTICALLY lower this year, so he might agree to a sizable cut to stay.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Sounds like an official who would radio in to weigh-in on calls whenever the officials go into their quick huddle to discuss.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some of those guys just can't/won't give up. Matt Hasselbeck rode the pine behind Luck for 3 years, obviously he got to play due to Luck's injuries. But that dude didn't need any more money, he was old and beat up. He had nice looking wife and kids just like Smith.
View Quote

Hasselbeck also has an ego and seems to suffer from delusions of grandeur.  I could be wrong, but I don't get that vibe from Smith.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]

There's no combine this year, but that time would set a new NFL Combine record for cornerbacks and would tie the 2nd fastest combine 40 time in NFL history, 0.02 seconds slower than John Ross in 2017, tied with Chris Johnson in 08 and Rondel Menedez in 99.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Was injured during the year, but was 16 of 22 (73%) on FGs and then 38 of 39 (95%) on XPs.

He is 78% and 95% for his career.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
NFL has named their first black female official.

Maia Chaka, a health and physical education teacher in Virginia Beach. She has participated in the NFL's officiating development program since 2014. She has officiated at the collegiate level and in the Alliance of American Football.

Well timed. Right after black history month and at the beginning of women's history month.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maia Chaka, a health and physical education teacher in Virginia Beach. She has participated in the NFL's officiating development program since 2014. She has officiated at the collegiate level and in the Alliance of American Football.

Well timed. Right after black history month and at the beginning of women's history month.
View Quote

You know, I was just thinking that the NFL should get more officials who have never played a single down in their lives.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know, I was just thinking that the NFL should get more officials who have never played a single down in their lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently she and Sarah Thomas (the current female official) were both scouted into the NFL's officiating development program. They worked the same crew in college together. Apparently Sarah just got in first, and much earlier (2015?).

She has worked NFL pre-season games as part of the program.
She began high school officiating in 2006
Officiated in both the Conference USA and the PAC-12.
She and Thomas both became the first female officials to ref an FBS bowl game together in 2014.
She was working the PAC-12 still last year alongside the XFL and AAF.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Gonna start Diggs, bench Tyreek and cut Julio.

Starting Diggs because he is hot right now. Led the league in yards, targets, receptions, top 10 in YAC, top 10 in catch rate.

Benching Tyreek because he is mainly a deep threat but his catch rate is below 50th this year, so he probably needs to sit and think about what he's done.

Julio is older, starting to have those lingering injuries/old man issues, is still expensive, easy move.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Safety tag value in 21: $11,196,000

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gonna start Diggs, bench Tyreek and cut Julio.

Starting Diggs because he is hot right now. Led the league in yards, targets, receptions, top 10 in YAC, top 10 in catch rate.

Benching Tyreek because he is mainly a deep threat but his catch rate is below 50th this year, so he probably needs to sit and think about what he's done.

Julio is older, starting to have those lingering injuries/old man issues, is still expensive, easy move.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#20]

He has 3 career FGA, all in one game with the 9ers last season. He made all 3.
He is also 2/2 on XPA.

However he has already been a member of the Bengals, Cowboys, Bengals again, Vikings, 49ers, Bills and now the Chargers...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
No criminal charges for Von Miller. Still for undisclosed allegations.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/05/no-criminal-charges-will-be-filed-against-von-miller/

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]

How exactly do you pronounce B’Vsean?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How exactly do you pronounce B'Vsean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bivvy-sean?
B-V-sean?
Buh-sean?
Beh-vay-sean?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Sad...

John Clayton: "Ryan Fitzpatrick looks like he's going to retire. The Broncos did make some contact with him. He's been with eight teams and played a long time. But it looks like he's going to be out of the mix."
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bivvy-sean?
B-V-sean?
Buh-sean?
Beh-vay-sean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bivvy-sean?
B-V-sean?
Buh-sean?
Beh-vay-sean?

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sad...

John Clayton: "Ryan Fitzpatrick looks like he's going to retire. The Broncos did make some contact with him. He's been with eight teams and played a long time. But it looks like he's going to be out of the mix."
View Quote

I would love to see him suit up for Broncos. He’s still got some gas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#27]

The fucking whack job was scheduled to earn $5.475M in 2021, no dead cap, Raiders save the entire amount.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The fucking whack job was scheduled to earn $5.475M in 2021, no dead cap, Raiders save the entire amount.
View Quote

Guy has some serious mental health issues, and I don’t mean in the new millennial ‘I stubbed my toe and it gave me anxiety I have to go home’ type of way.

I’ve seen interviews where he is so put together and honest, then he does his batshit crazy stuff like try to kill people at his father’s funeral.

I will say, the Jonathan Martin thing was some bullshit. Incognito wouldn’t been fine if he kept his mouth shut and off Twitter.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sad...

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sad...

View Quote
 Fitzmagic was a lot of fun to watch. Also he made you want to throw something through the tv
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sad...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/FADB33E5-4D50-42AE-B2F2-AF36F7D97555_jpe-1853209.JPG

Has anyone ever looked cooler in a NFL press conference?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#32]

"It's a serious situation"

That didn't age well, but since nobody anywhere seemed to know what it was even about maybe it was just the safe thing to say

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Guy has some serious mental health issues, and I don’t mean in the new millennial ‘I stubbed my toe and it gave me anxiety I have to go home’ type of way.

I’ve seen interviews where he is so put together and honest, then he does his batshit crazy stuff like try to kill people at his father’s funeral.

I will say, the Jonathan Martin thing was some bullshit. Incognito wouldn’t been fine if he kept his mouth shut and off Twitter.
View Quote

No dog in the fight, and the 2 clearly aren’t mutually exclusive.  Martin was a headcase snowflake.  Somehow Incognito just got the bad rap, while others escaped the bad press, probably b/c Incognito is white.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#34]
[Ian Rapoport] The #Saints gained even more cap space today, restructuring the contracts of LB Demario Davis and DE Cameron Jordan to create $13,443,750 of cap room, source said. Slowly, but surely...
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#35]
[Josina Anderson] I'm told the #Bucs are 'getting closer' to reworking Tom Brady's contract, per source. Tom Brady will be 44 in August. Brady has said he'd 'consider' playing beyond 45 years old.

I think a one year extension and restructure to lower the 21 cap is likely.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not sure how anybody else feels but this might be one of the most entertaining NFL's off season we've ever had.

Every day closer to the draft should find something new to debate or complain about.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how anybody else feels but this might be one of the most entertaining NFL's off season we've ever had.

Every day closer to the draft should find something new to debate or complain about.
View Quote

It's been interesting so far. Whole new dynamic with this cap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Is this week the big “cut week”?

Lots of restructuring going on.  Sone cuts that make sense.  I’m waiting for the cuts that don’t make sense except the team must do so.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Texans situation has the potential to be more entertaining just by itself than some previous off seasons.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#41]
[Rapoport] A storyline to follow going forward: If the official salary cap number doesn't come today and soon, NFL will have to move back the deadline to franchise tag players from Tuesday. It's a situation several GMs are bracing for and would further stall business for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[Rapoport] A storyline to follow going forward: If the official salary cap number doesn't come today and soon, NFL will have to move back the deadline to franchise tag players from Tuesday. It's a situation several GMs are bracing for and would further stall business for a bit.
View Quote

Seems like a lot of work for an imaginary hard line of dollars.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#43]

He is entering the 4th year of a 5 year deal. $15M cap hit, $6M dead cap, due $12M in salary, none of it guaranteed.

If they release him, they take the $6M hit and he gets $0M for his 21 and 22 years ($25M remaining).

In this reduced cap season I am guessing he will probably agree to some sort of pay cut in exchange for guaranteed money/signing bonus conversion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Graziano reporting that the NFLPA is wanting to delay the salary cap release hoping the TV deals get finalized in time to boost the cap.

Last year they pushed back the cap number until the day before the tampering window opened, which would be like another week from now for this year.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He is entering the 4th year of a 5 year deal. $15M cap hit, $6M dead cap, due $12M in salary, none of it guaranteed.

If they release him, they take the $6M hit and he gets $0M for his 21 and 22 years ($25M remaining).

In this reduced cap season I am guessing he will probably agree to some sort of pay cut in exchange for guaranteed money/signing bonus conversion.
View Quote

I dunno.  He is an All Pro guard that turns 30 next season.  He might prefer to hit free agency now (possibly even play for a contender) and get one more good/decent long term deal (almost certainly his last) rather than take a pay cut to play two more seasons with a dumpster fire.  At the end of which he’d probably be a FA anyway and probably in a worse bargaining position than he is now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I dunno.  He is an All Pro guard that turns 30 next season.  He might prefer to hit free agency now (possibly even play for a contender) and get one more good/decent long term deal (almost certainly his last) rather than take a pay cut to play two more seasons with a dumpster fire.  At the end of which he'd probably be a FA anyway and probably in a worse bargaining position than he is now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.  He is an All Pro guard that turns 30 next season.  He might prefer to hit free agency now (possibly even play for a contender) and get one more good/decent long term deal (almost certainly his last) rather than take a pay cut to play two more seasons with a dumpster fire.  At the end of which he'd probably be a FA anyway and probably in a worse bargaining position than he is now.

He's only 29. If he goes to free agency he is still going to end up taking 50 cents on the dollar on this cap on what would likely be a 2 year deal which matches the rest of his Jaguars time. His best bet for that final deal and pay out is going to be at 31 in 2 years when the cap is back up.

So the only benefit of hitting FA right now is going to be switching teams. Which could be a big benefit. Depends on him and how firmly planted he is in the Jacksonville area I guess. Plus even if a new team matched what the Jags are trying to get him to play for, at least FL doesn't have an income tax.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He's only 29. If he goes to free agency he is still going to end up taking 50 cents on the dollar on this cap on what would likely be a 2 year deal which matches the rest of his Jaguars time. His best bet for that final deal and pay out is going to be at 31 in 2 years when the cap is back up.

So the only benefit of hitting FA right now is going to be switching teams. Which could be a big benefit. Depends on him and how firmly planted he is in the Jacksonville area I guess. Plus even if a new team matched what the Jags are trying to get him to play for, at least FL doesn't have an income tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe he'd be limited to simply a two year deal if he hit FA now. It's certainly possibly that could end up happening though.

And it's not so much how old he is now.  It's how old he'd be at the end of his current contract when he hits FA.  If he takes a pay cut to stay with the Jags he'd be turning 32 early in his first season of his new deal. Now, if he sticks it out with the Jags and THEN hits FA I could see a short term deal probably being his only option as not many teams are going to be lined up to sign a FA lineman that's going to be in his mid-late 30's by the end of it.

Not to mention the Jags are a team that have shown they have no problem screwing a player out of "fully guaranteed" money. I'm sure most people could reassure themselves "that'd never happen to me" and the odds are it wouldn't, but personally that'd be in the back of my mind.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
This one is a surprise. This was high on the list for Seahawks getting worked out, guess he wouldn't come down to a price they could agree on.

Edit: Probably a decent chance he ends up re-signing with the Hawks if he doesn't find what he thinks he is worth on the market.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I gotta agree with HK here. 29 is that point where a quality OL should be getting that last good contract. After now the offers will decrease simply due to age, if not age & decreased production.

Terrible year to be in that position, but if there is a chance to make more than restructuring the Jags contract he should explore it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Bobby Wagner got hosed. Through 8 seasons:
1,075 tackles
10 INTs
19.5 sacks
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top