Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Was an undrafted free agent for the Ravens, was released in Aug 2020. Now signed by the Falcons.
Played at Wake Forest in college. In his final year at Wake he averaged 46.8 yards per punt (2nd highest in school history) and was named second team all-ACC.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Schefter reporting bucs may try and trade for OBJ b/c brady wants him.

i'm not sure how that trade would look but it seems trying to add OBJ would be a loss vs re-signing current guys and/or getting other good players on cheaper contracts.

but if godwin is gone and they get outbid on AB...
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i'm not sure how that trade would look but it seems trying to add OBJ would be a loss vs re-signing current guys and/or getting other good players on cheaper contracts.

View Quote

Saw that and skipped right over it. Reeked of click bait. Something like OBJ once mentioned he would like playing with Tom, so we specifically asked Tom about OBJ and he said it would be great to play with him, so they spun that into Tom wanting OBJ instead of accepting it as a casual comment from a great player about another great player.

There is no feasible way for the Bucs to make a move on OBJ that makes any sense at all. They are in a tight cap situation, have a lot of players to retain, and retaining Godwin would be cheaper and he is a more efficient player. Not to mention already having Evans and potentially Brown returning.

I might as well ask Bill Belichick what he thinks about Aaron Rodgers, and if he says he is a great player I'm going to post a headline that says, "Patriots want to move on Aaron Rodgers".

Edit: I also see the NFL Update tweet that made the comment about it has already been deleted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]

2021 was scheduled for a $4.7M cap hit with $2.2M in dead money. Would free up $2.5M.

He played about 50% of the defensive snaps last year, recorded 57 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 QB hit, 1 pass defense. 0 sacks, INTs, FFs, fumble recovs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sad...

John Clayton: "Ryan Fitzpatrick looks like he's going to retire. The Broncos did make some contact with him. He's been with eight teams and played a long time. But it looks like he's going to be out of the mix."
View Quote

I picture him signing with someone when their starter goes down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

My concern wouldn't be so much the fact that Beckham hasn't had a great season in about half a decade.  It would be that Beckham is the type of player that would rather have 120 yards and 2 TDs in a loss than 40 yards and no TDs in a win.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My concern wouldn't so much the fact that Beckham hasn't had a great season in about half a decade.  It would be that Beckham is the type of player that would rather have 120 yards and 2 TDs in a loss than 40 yards and no TDs in a win.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably got tired of all those kids already  Glad he's playing he's entertaining and could land a starter gig somewhere
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
In today's, "everything is a sign of the end," category...

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Was set to be $11.2M, $2.5M dead cap.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Recent cap savings (bigger names):
Alex Smith: $14.7M
Carlos Dunlap: $14M
Gabe Jackson: $9.6M
LaMarcus Joyner: $8.7M
Henry Anderson: $8M
Nick Martin: $6.25M
Desmond Trufant: $6.1M
Golden Tate: $6.1M
Richie Incognito: $5.4M
Kyle Rudolph: $5.1M
Duke Johnson: $5M
Adam Humphries: $4.4M
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Was set to be $11.2M, $2.5M dead cap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, its not like anyone expected them to have such little impact.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Godwin is the better player at this point. OBJ's best days are in the rear view mirror and Godwin's best days are yet to come.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My concern wouldn't so much the fact that Beckham hasn't had a great season in about half a decade.  It would be that Beckham is the type of player that would rather have 120 yards and 2 TDs in a loss than 40 yards and no TDs in a win.
View Quote

There's that, too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's great news. He's fun to watch and seems like a decent fellow. I'd venture to say he's better than some starting QBs right now, too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I am assuming since we passed 5pm on the east coast, and haven't seen a salary cap post, that the league has decided to push back the franchise tag date from tomorrow until after the salary cap is officially announced.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Multiple listings on eBay appear to be a leak of the Bengals new 2021 uniform which they planned to unveil later this year.

Revised version of their late 80's and late 90's uniform. Nothing on the sleeves besides the swoosh. Small "Bengals" on the chest. New font for the numbers. Team founder and first coach signature in the collar.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#22]

The problem with this idea is that it is still the exact same issue they are having now with the franchise tag. Say you do a 3 year deal, and Dak plays great, and doesn't get hurt, either you once again have to tag him at a hugeeee salary, or once again start the whole process of making him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

It's time to shit or get off the pot. Either pay and lock him down for 5-6 years, or deal him.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]

So basically his first 3 years are fully guaranteed. Then a 4th year at slightly reduced value, non-guaranteed.

Makes him the 2nd highest paid QB in the game, and on the first 3 year evaluation, would be 3M below Mahomes avg and 3M above Watsons. AND ALL GUARANTEED.

Good for Dak.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So basically his first 3 years are fully guaranteed. Then a 4th year at slightly reduced value, non-guaranteed.

Makes him the 2nd highest paid QB in the game, and on the first 3 year evaluation, would be 3M below Mahomes avg and 3M above Watsons. AND ALL GUARANTEED.

Good for Dak.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good for Dak.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good for Dak.
View Quote

Wow, do they have to chop salaries now ? Is there cap fucked ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Reportedly a 66m signing bonus,  75m total in the first year (9m salary). Would make his 21 cap about 25-26m.

So they save a nice chunk of cap over tagging him. Dak had all the power. Got everything he wanted.

Edit: They are now reporting a 22.2m cap hit in year one, so that would mean they included a 5th year voided year.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for Dak.

https://media.tenor.com/images/14cb0084c1b4e664beb93803e78fd68a/tenor.gif

Lol. Fools.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Valid point here. Mahomes is really expensive now but becomes cheaper over the life of the contract. Dak will be 31 at the end of this 4 year deal, in his PRIME QB years, ready to sign another huge contract (if he can play well until then). That contract could end up netting him much more than Mahomes overal depending on what the cap does in the next couple years.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Highest signing bonuses in NFL history:
Dak Prescott $66M
Russell Wilson $65M
Aaron Rodgers $57.5M
Matthew Stafford $50M
Matt Ryan $46.5M
Joe Flacco $40M
Aaron Donald $40M
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Valid point here. Mahomes is really expensive now but becomes cheaper over the life of the contract. Dak will be 31 at the end of this 4 year deal, in his PRIME QB years, ready to sign another huge contract (if he can play well until then). That contract could end up netting him much more than Mahomes overal depending on what the cap does in the next couple years.

https://i.imgur.com/rA2HKwE.png
View Quote

That was the whole point of Mahomes' contract. He gets financial security for life, and the Chiefs get to build a team around him.

And I might add, it took about one day to go from "We hear there are talks of a Mahomes extension" to "Here are the details of his 10 year, half billion dollar deal." We've been talking about Dak's contract for what, 3 years?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]

1st round pick last year. Traded for SWAPPED 7th round picks this year. Wasn't even worth a full 7th round pick on its own.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
There is some wow factor to that contract, but to me it’s standard for a starting QB of a NFL franchise. We can laugh all we want, but there hasn’t been a QB who’s won a SB after signing a big deal with the exception of Brady, and he takes below market deals.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is some wow factor to that contract, but to me it's standard for a starting QB of a NFL franchise. We can laugh all we want, but there hasn't been a QB who's won a SB after signing a big deal with the exception of Brady, and he takes below market deals.
View Quote

Since they worked it to keep a low cap this year, if it's a 5 year contract (1 void year) it means years 2 thru 4 would carry cap hits somewhere around $40M a year.

Edit: THEN, if they resign him, the void year becomes due on the 1st year of the extension, so that could be an extra $13-ish million added to the 1st year of any new deal with the Cowboys, otherwise it is a dead cap hit if he moves on elsewhere. Steelers did the same thing with Ben, twice, and then got fucked because of the down cap this year. Hence the Steelers cap issues. Even with Ben's new deal they are taking double digit millions in dead cap next year on the new void.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Since they worked it to keep a low cap this year, if it's a 5 year contract (1 void year) it means years 2 thru 4 would carry cap hits somewhere around $40M a year.

Edit: THEN, if they resign him, the void year becomes due on the 1st year of the extension, so that could be an extra $13-ish million added to the 1st year of any new deal with the Cowboys, otherwise it is a dead cap hit if he moves on elsewhere. Steelers did the same thing with Ben, twice, and then got fucked because of the down cap this year. Hence the Steelers cap issues. Even with Ben's new deal they are taking double digit millions in dead cap next year on the new void.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is some wow factor to that contract, but to me it's standard for a starting QB of a NFL franchise. We can laugh all we want, but there hasn't been a QB who's won a SB after signing a big deal with the exception of Brady, and he takes below market deals.

so is that the biggest cap hit for a QB in recent time?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The biggest cap hit in 2020 was $31.5m on Dak's tag.
2019: Stafford $30.7
2018: Jimmy G $37
2017: Flacco $24.5

On Mahomes' deal, they will break a $40m cap in 2023. So Cowboys would beat them to $40m by 1 year. Ben was scheduled to be over $40m in 21 before the restructure last week.

Edit: Something to remember with Mahomes is his guarantees are gone in 2022. His last 9 years he has basically 0 dead cap. Tons of room to restructure, or if something bad happens, straight up dump him.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Reportedly a 66m signing bonus,  75m total in the first year (9m salary). Would make his 21 cap about 25-26m.

So they save a nice chunk of cap over tagging him. Dak had all the power. Got everything he wanted.

Edit: They are now reporting a 22.2m cap hit in year one, so that would mean they included a 5th year voided year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#40]
just b/c i was curious..

watson: 4 years $156/$110 guaranteed

wentz: 4 years $128/$107 guaranteed

goff: 4 years $134/$110 guaranteed

rodgers: 4 years $134/$98 guaranteed

wilson: 4 years $140/$107 guaranteed

ryan: 5 years $150/$100 guaranteed

mahomes: 10 years $450/$141 guaranteed

stafford: 5 years $135/$92 guaranteed

garoppolo: 5 years $137/$74 guaranteed

cousins: 5 years $150/$150 guaranteed (last two contracts)

prescott: 4 years $160/$126 guaranteed
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That was the whole point of Mahomes' contract. He gets financial security for life, and the Chiefs get to build a team around him.

And I might add, it took about one day to go from "We hear there are talks of a Mahomes extension" to "Here are the details of his 10 year, half billion dollar deal." We've been talking about Dak's contract for what, 3 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

Patrick Mahomes became eligible for an extension after the 2019 season. I'm not sure of the exact date, so let's call it the Super Bowl. He signed his extension on July 6th. It took 5 months to get through the draft, move some pieces around, and get it done, and I don't think there were any rumors of tension at any point.

Dak was eligible after the 2018 season. They made him play through his option year, and then they tagged him. The whole time, Dak was increasing his own value and gaining leverage with some surprise help from the COVIDocalypse. I'm no capologist, but I'm pretty sure this chain of events cost Dallas a LOT more than it would have if they'd have paid Dak when he became eligible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

Patrick Mahomes became eligible for an extension after the 2019 season. I'm not sure of the exact date, so let's call it the Super Bowl. He signed his extension on July 6th. It took 5 months to get through the draft, move some pieces around, and get it done, and I don't think there were any rumors of tension at any point.

Dak was eligible after the 2018 season. They made him play through his option year, and then they tagged him. The whole time, Dak was increasing his own value and gaining leverage with some surprise help from the COVIDocalypse. I'm no capologist, but I'm pretty sure this chain of events cost Dallas a LOT more than it would have if they'd have paid Dak when he became eligible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

you think they would've learned a thing or two from a team in their own division mismanaging their QB situation in the same way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
just b/c i was curious..

watson: 4 years $156/$110 guaranteed

wentz: 4 years $128/$107 guaranteed

goff: 4 years $134/$110 guaranteed

rodgers: 4 years $134/$98 guaranteed

wilson: 4 years $140/$107 guaranteed

ryan: 5 years $150/$100 guaranteed

mahomes: 10 years $450/$141 guaranteed

stafford: 5 years $135/$92 guaranteed

garoppolo: 5 years $137/$74 guaranteed

prescott: 4 years $160/$126 guaranteed
View Quote

I know that cap has increased since some of these were signed but holy fuck. I would take those Ryan or Stanford contracts over Dak. Less money AND a free year.....

This just screams a Cousins to the Vikings all over again. Enjoy the cap hell.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On Mahomes' deal, they will break a $40m cap in 2023. So Cowboys would beat them to $40m by 1 year. Ben was scheduled to be over $40m in 21 before the restructure last week.

Edit: Something to remember with Mahomes is his guarantees are gone in 2022. His last 9 years he has basically 0 dead cap. Tons of room to restructure, or if something bad happens, straight up dump him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not quite that simple. There's a rolling guarantee structure that progresses through the contract. At any given point, the Chiefs would be on the hook for 1-2 years worth of dead money if they had to cut him for some reason.

It's a pretty slick and interesting contract structure, but like many, I'd be surprised if they go more than 4-5 years without redoing it for some reason or another.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

View Quote

Dak didn’t have an option year.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#46]

2 void years, so if he moves on after 4 the Cowboys are hosed even worse.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I know that cap has increased since some of these were signed but holy fuck. I would take those Ryan or Stanford contracts over Dak. Less money AND a free year.....

This just screams a Cousins to the Vikings all over again. Enjoy the cap hell.
View Quote

oh shit i forgot kirk, his last two contracts are 5 years $150 guaranteed!!

edit: after making $44 on two franchise tags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Gross mismanagement.

View Quote

he didn't have an option year, but you aren't wrong with the rest of it.   They could've done a much cheaper deal if they had signed him in 2018.   This was poorly managed by Jerry and company

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev_7TqpWQAM4D16?format=png&name=medium

View Quote

did all that and did NOT have a huge 2020 campaign. fucking wow, good for dak, tho.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top