User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From over the cap:

Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain?

From over the cap:

Aaron Rodgers signed a three year, $150 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2022. Rodgers received $101.4 million in full guarantees and $150.66 million in injury guarantees. Rodgers received a $40.8 million signing bonus as part of the contract. The Packers can pick up a guaranteed option in 2023 worth $58.3 million. If Rodgers is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period his salary for the year and a $47 million option bonus will be fully guaranteed. The team has two dummy years on the contract for salary cap purposes. Technically they are not void years but they are not seasons that Rodgers would be asked to honor if he were on the roster.

Still less cap % than Mahomes or Dak
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that's how you want to look at it.

The reality is that the Packers will still be carrying a cap hit in 2025 for Rodgers 2023 season.

Using your numbers:
For the 2023 season the cap hits:

Mahomes will be 20.9%.

Dak will be 21.5%.

Rodgers will be 13.9% (2023),  plus 7% to the 2024 cap, and 10.8% to the 2025 cap

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't think Dak has any lack of instinct.  He's just not consistently accurate.  He's accurate most of the time.
View Quote

His accuracy numbers, completion percentage, is among the tops in the league. He isn't highest but he is up there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Now does everyone realize why people shit on Dak?
He in no way plays at this level.
View Quote

No, but, he wanted that contract because Jerry made him wait. The paid Zeke 2 years early, they made Dak wait. I had read that it was getting personal from his side. Fairly or unfairly, it pissed him off that Zeke got paid early.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Official-2022-NFL-Discussion-Thread/5-2538542/?r=102640409&page=585&anc=102640409#i102640409

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The half billion dollar man left cash on the table? Man that is an innovative way to view his contract. Love to hear your perspective on how a guy who constitutes 25% of his team's cap for the next half-decade left cash on the table.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've posted several times that their organization played the re-loading situation like virtuosos.

Mahomes smartly left cash on the table for other talent, and facilitated working the cap like wizards.

Everything has gone their way, because of they way they did it.

Still, they haven't had to earn a SB berth playing on the road, it may be a while before they have to.

The half billion dollar man left cash on the table? Man that is an innovative way to view his contract. Love to hear your perspective on how a guy who constitutes 25% of his team's cap for the next half-decade left cash on the table.

In terms of APY, Mahomes is already down to the 5th highest QB contract behind Rodgers, Wilson, Murray, and Watson. Burrow and Herbert will almost certainly come in higher. LJax and Hurts might be close. And then there's Tua.

I like viewing contracts in terms of cap percentage, but that's REALLY hard to do for future years because we don't know what the cap will actually be, and teams are constantly moving money around with restructures.

The Chiefs decided NOT to do a restructure on Mahomes for 2022 (pay more now instead of pushing into the future), and he came in at 17% of the cap. Mahomes is projected to be 20.9% in 2023 with that season's cap number known, but I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance of a bonus conversion or something for cap relief. After that, his cap utilization drops.

I'm not going to support the "took less money to make the team better" argument just yet, but he has a pretty slick contract that gives him a lot of security/guarantees and the team a good amount of flexibility.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In terms of APY, Mahomes is already down to the 5th highest QB contract behind Rodgers, Wilson, Murray, and Watson. Burrow and Herbert will almost certainly come in higher. LJax and Hurts might be close. And then there's Tua.

I like viewing contracts in terms of cap percentage, but that's REALLY hard to do for future years because we don't know what the cap will actually be, and teams are constantly moving money around with restructures.

The Chiefs decided NOT to do a restructure on Mahomes for 2022 (pay more now instead of pushing into the future), and he came in at 17% of the cap. Mahomes is projected to be 20.9% in 2023 with that season's cap number known, but I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance of a bonus conversion or something for cap relief. After that, his cap utilization drops.

I'm not going to support the "took less money to make the team better" argument just yet, but he has a pretty slick contract that gives him a lot of security/guarantees and the team a good amount of flexibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've posted several times that their organization played the re-loading situation like virtuosos.

Mahomes smartly left cash on the table for other talent, and facilitated working the cap like wizards.

Everything has gone their way, because of they way they did it.

Still, they haven't had to earn a SB berth playing on the road, it may be a while before they have to.

The sheer length of the contract is what gives it the cap flexibility. If he stays mostly healthy, he’ll get obscenely rich. Even if he has a career ender, he’ll have substantial money banked and owed. Meanwhile KC gets one of the best QBs to ever play locked down through his entire prime career. And that’s notwithstanding a likely future extension.

I said at the time, and I say again. It’s an awesome contract for both sides.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]

I'll give Ross credit for one thing, He's not cheap. Pretty bad owner in all other aspects tho.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My point is Montana was a great quarterback but some of his greatness can't be measured with the usual stats that most cite.
View Quote
His regular season stats don't show it as clearly (besides win%), but his post season stats sure do.
2nd most post season TDs
2nd most post season wins
2nd most SB wins (0 INTs in 4 appearances/wins)

Montana was a winner.

Much how the Brady/Manning comparison always went. Manning won the regular season glory stats. Brady just won.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not up to speed if this is a trade or FA situation with Carr.
View Quote
He has a guarantee kickin date of 2/15. The Raiders don't want to be on the hook for the guaranteed money so they want to "trade" him. However, the league trade window does not technically open until 3/15. So the Raiders can't even "trade" him before the guarantees kick in, it would just be a hand shake deal.

So we are fully trending towards a straight up release within the next two weeks. Then it would be free agency.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
For 2023 Rodgers will be paid $60M cash.

His cap hit is $13M from his signing bonus paid LAST year. $3M from his restructure MULTIPLE years ago. Then $16M paid in 2023. So effectively his 2023 cap hit is 50% past money, 50% current money and then 75% of his cash intake is being kicked down the road to come due later.

Cap magic... But the bill will come due.

Example, if Rodgers comes back to the Pack in 2023, and then officially retires the next year (2024 at the age of 41). There will be $68M in deadcap still due. They could split it over two years with a post June retirement, but that is still $68M that will be on the cap for a player who is gone. Thats more than twice the size of his 2023 cap hit. So he will cost the team even more in retirement than playing for them in 2023. And will do so for 2 years.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bucs
View Quote

Guess the Saints are over Winston already?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He has a guarantee kickin date of 2/15. The Raiders don't want to be on the hook for the guaranteed money so they want to "trade" him. However, the league trade window does not technically open until 3/15. So the Raiders can't even "trade" him before the guarantees kick in, it would just be a hand shake deal.

So we are fully trending towards a straight up release within the next two weeks. Then it would be free agency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not up to speed if this is a trade or FA situation with Carr.

Does the veteran waiver rule end after the Super Bowl?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Edit
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The vet waiver rule (IIRC) starts in November (edit: after the trade deadline) and ends the day of the Super Bowl. The new waiver window refreshes the morning after the Super Bowl and no longer applies to vets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The vet waiver rule (IIRC) starts in November (edit: after the trade deadline) and ends the day of the Super Bowl. The new waiver window refreshes the morning after the Super Bowl and no longer applies to vets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a legit franchise QB on the roster, cutting him, and getting NOTHING for him (not even a comp pick) would be amazing and classic Raiders.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I missed your Carr post. I’m pretty sure bud guarantee is $40 mil too. So who would lose assets for that when you could sign him for a bit cheaper as a FA and still retain your picks ?

(Washington not included)
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Having a legit franchise QB on the roster, cutting him, and getting NOTHING for him (not even a comp pick) would be amazing and classic Raiders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Niners offered two 1s and two 2s for cousins when he was on the skins…
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn, I missed your Carr post. I'm pretty sure bud guarantee is $40 mil too. So who would lose assets for that when you could sign him for a bit cheaper as a FA and still retain your picks ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I missed your Carr post. I'm pretty sure bud guarantee is $40 mil too. So who would lose assets for that when you could sign him for a bit cheaper as a FA and still retain your picks ?

Carr could still get injured during the Pro Bowl flag football game. Which would be a "Football Related Injury" per the NFLPA agreement. Then his injury guarantee would kick in immediately and the Raiders would be on the hook for that full $40.4M anyways. Then they would obviously not release him, and would hold out for a trade partner come March, which of course would be even more difficult with him being "injured".

Team chaos!

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Da Bears Blog is reporting that two teams have already floated offers to Chicago for the 1st overall pick. Neither was the Texans or the Colts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought Mixon's lawyer saying the charges would be dropped was just a lawyer doing what lawyers do.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/03/prosecutor-makes-formal-request-to-drop-aggravated-menacing-charge-against-joe-mixon/
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't think Dak has any lack of instinct.  He's just not consistently accurate.  He's accurate most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed 100%

I think Dak wants to win. I don't think he has the killer instinct of say a Brady. A drive to win above all else. I see the offense being lethargic, laxidasicle, just going through the motions at times. I don't see Dak losing his shit when someone runs the wrong route. Committing a dumbass penalty. Brady did.

Inconsistency comes from lack of focus, which comes from poor motivation, which comes from a lack (respectively) of competitiveness. IMO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nor I, but people here have posted his anti-gun, pro-abortion, etc. social media postings enough for me to know that the claim that Burrow "tries not to be political" is bullshit.
View Quote

Yeah, he answered two questions asked of him. He is not pro killing babies, the first thing out of his mouth on that question, and not really giving a shit about the gun question, as in that is not my lane, I play football. Sounds like a hard core activist to me. I can post pro and anti articles on anyone in the public eye, it's easy to find exactly what you want.
He is a talented quarterback, seems like a decent enough guy, and I don't care if he wants to wear upholstery fabric to the stadium prior to the games. It's his money and taste in clothes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, he answered two questions asked of him. He is not pro killing babies, the first thing out of his mouth on that question, and not really giving a shit about the gun question, as in that is not my lane, I play football. Sounds like a hard core activist to me. I can post pro and anti articles on anyone in the public eye, it's easy to find exactly what you want.
He is a talented quarterback, seems like a decent enough guy, and I don't care if he wants to wear upholstery fabric to the stadium prior to the games. It's his money and taste in clothes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor I, but people here have posted his anti-gun, pro-abortion, etc. social media postings enough for me to know that the claim that Burrow "tries not to be political" is bullshit.

Do you really think you’re going to debate HK out of a talking point that he knows gets under your skin?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he makes political social media posts because he wants to. Not because anyone is forcing him to.  If you like Burrow and don’t care about his politics, that’s fine.  However, it’s pretty absurd for his implying he wants every gun outlawed to be brought up and you defend it with weak excuses like “he said his job is football so what he said doesn’t count” and “I can post pro and anti articles on anyone in the public eye” (which isn’t true either).

Regardless, your claim that Burrow "tries not to be political" is clearly incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you really think you’re going to debate HK out of a talking point that he knows gets under your skin?
View Quote

Nah, just putting a little sunshine on the total of two questions he was asked that turned him into an "activist".
I really don't care, unless he does something to get arrested for, I will enjoy watching him play. I hope the Bengals lock him into a long term deal, and can keep at least two of the 3 top receivers they have during that time.
I see HK gets pleasure out of pushing buttons in here, I have a feeling it is one of his favorite things to do in gd.
I just looked up the actual quotes, and saw them for what they were, instead of the opinion piece that was presented as evidence of his "activism". It's ok if I am entertained by it as well, isn't it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Against the same team, no less.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Inconsistency comes from lack of focus, which comes from poor motivation, which comes from a lack (respectively) of competitiveness. IMO.
View Quote
With Dak I think it's some combination of not being able to read the field fast enough and not having confidence in some of his throws.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought Mixon's lawyer saying the charges would be dropped was just a lawyer doing what lawyers do.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/03/prosecutor-makes-formal-request-to-drop-aggravated-menacing-charge-against-joe-mixon/
View Quote

I'm sure no big $$ passed hands.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Da Bears Blog is reporting that two teams have already floated offers to Chicago for the 1st overall pick. Neither was the Texans or the Colts.
View Quote

FFS, you're killing me.

However, According to a Tweet that it was reported in the Athletic (paywall--couldn't verify) that Tee Higgins is being targeted by the Bears. I call bullshit.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Has the first overall pick ever been traded for a player?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bucs

I also thought Saints---but the supporting cast were a MASH unit last I checked.

Otherwise like Rebel was saying, in a dome against warmer weather,  and gawd-awful division and not a terrible situation.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed 100%

I think Dak has the intelligence, physical tools, to consistently be a top 10 QB for years. He doesn't IMO have the win at all costs, killer instinct like say a Brady. Yes, Daks wants to win. But if he doesn't, he has a great life and won't lose a minute of sleep, on his Sleep Number mattress
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just for ONE player? No. But for a player/s and pick/s? Yes.

In 1991 the Cowboys gave Ron Francis, David Howard, Eugene Lockhart, a 1st and a 2nd to the Pats for the 1st overall.

In 1990 the Colts gave Chris Hinton, Andre Rison, a future 1st and a 5th to the Falcons for the 1st overall.

In 1978 the Oilers gave Jimmie Giles, a 1st, a 2nd, a future 3rd and a future 5th to the Bucs for the 1st overall.

In 1975 the Falcons gave George Kunz and the 3rd overall pick to the Colts for the 1st overall.

Plus there was both the John Elway trade and the Manning/Rivers trade which were essentially trading the 1st round pick, just right after using it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In 1991 the Cowboys gave Ron Francis, David Howard, Eugene Lockhart, a 1st and a 2nd to the Pats for the 1st overall.

In 1990 the Colts gave Chris Hinton, Andre Rison, a future 1st and a 5th to the Falcons for the 1st overall.

In 1978 the Oilers gave Jimmie Giles, a 1st, a 2nd, a future 3rd and a future 5th to the Bucs for the 1st overall.

In 1975 the Falcons gave George Kunz and the 3rd overall pick to the Colts for the 1st overall.

Plus there was both the John Elway trade and the Manning/Rivers trade which were essentially trading the 1st round pick, just right after using it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than I thought, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Much how the Brady/Manning comparison always went. Manning won the regular season glory stats. Brady just won.
View Quote

Some could argue that playing in the winter in Bah-ston allowed a nice advantage for Brady. Manning played in the Indy dome, where weather was no factor what so ever, thus negating much of a home field advantage.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Already answered much better than me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Some could argue that playing in the winter in Bah-ston allowed a nice advantage for Brady. Manning played in the Indy dome, where weather was no factor what so ever, thus negating much of a home field advantage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady would have had better passing stats playing indoors a minimum of 9 games a year.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, he makes political social media posts because he wants to. Not because anyone is forcing him to.  If you like Burrow and don’t care about his politics, that’s fine.  However, it’s pretty absurd for his implying he wants every gun outlawed to be brought up and you defend it with weak excuses like “he said his job is football so what he said doesn’t count” and “I can post pro and anti articles on anyone in the public eye” (which isn’t true either).

Regardless, your claim that Burrow "tries not to be political" is clearly incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe Burrow is incredibly “woke” and actively supports all diets of progressive, “social Justice” causes.

These are facts, based on Burrow’s own statements.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Brady would have had better passing stats playing indoors a minimum of 9 games a year.
View Quote

Maybe, maybe not. Fact is, he was used to playing in bad weather when the other QB may not have been as much. Hell, the Pats brought out (illegally, I might add) a snowblower to clear the spot for the game winning FG against the Titans one year. The NFL later declared that shouldn't have happened, but way too late by then.

Regardless, both Brady & Manning are now retired & will be fun to watch Brady's future commercials.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not. Fact is, he was used to playing in bad weather when the other QB may not have been as much. Hell, the Pats brought out (illegally, I might add) a snowblower to clear the spot for the game winning FG against the Titans one year. The NFL later declared that shouldn't have happened, but way too late by then.

Regardless, both Brady & Manning are now retired & will be fun to watch Brady's future commercials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, yes, The Snowplow Game.

That happened 41 years ago in 1982 against the Miami Dolphins.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Packers fans were actually complaining that playing in cold weather games at Lambeau was a disadvantage to the Packers in the postseason.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some Packers fans were actually complaining that playing in cold weather games at Lambeau was a disadvantage to the Packers in the postseason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what now?

I must say as a fan that has gone to several at Lambeau shoved into seats it sucks in cold weather. If everyone dresses warm enough then you take up a seat and a half.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Say what now?

I must say as a fan that has gone to several at Lambeau shoved into seats it sucks in cold weather. If everyone dresses warm enough then you take up a seat and a half.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what now?

They claimed the cold weather hurt Rodgers and the offense.  Using that as an excuse for the 49ers' loss seems less laughable than using it was an excuse for the Bucs' loss though.

Still, it kinda make me chuckle to see the argument being made that a team from Florida and a team from California had the advantage over the Packers in cold weather.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top