User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Steelers Defensive Line Coach 1994-2006
Steelers Assistant Head Coach & Defensive Line Coach 2007-2017
Steelers Assistant Head Coach 2018-2022

Including stints at Alabama, Arkansas, Birmingham Stallions (USFL), Temple, LSU and with the Browns. Has been a coach for the last 49 years with no breaks/off-years between programs.

He was the first African-American to play at Alabama. Started all 24 games in his two seasons there (21-3). First African-American to be named a co-captain at Alabama. All-American and All-SEC Team. Member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

Drafted by the 49ers in 1973, however he became ill in training camp and was cut so he returned to Alabama as the Defensive Ends Coach.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now it's a party.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And can you can go fuck yourself. I like how these experts come out after the season.

Now it's a party.

Not until wives are involved...
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

On paper yes, in practice, while Jimmy was there he was the one that actually drafted and created the roster, assembled the coaching staff. Jerry signed the checks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jerry was the GM from the minute he purchased the franchise.

On paper yes, in practice, while Jimmy was there he was the one that actually drafted and created the roster, assembled the coaching staff. Jerry signed the checks.

Oh horseshit.

Jimmy wanted to trade Irvin. Guess who wasn’t traded? Irvin. If Jimmy were GM, he would have done what he wanted and traded Irvin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh horseshit.

Jimmy wanted to trade Irvin. Guess who wasn’t traded? Irvin. If Jimmy were GM, he would have done what he wanted and traded Irvin.
View Quote

That's the first I have ever heard he wanted to trade Michael Irvin. I know he had issues with Charles Haley due to not practicing through the week, if he had stayed he probably would have traded him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's the first I have ever heard he wanted to trade Michael Irvin. I know he had issues with Charles Haley due to not practicing through the week, if he had stayed he probably would have traded him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh horseshit.

It’s in the book, The Boys Will Be Boys. It’s not exactly a secret.

https://www.sportscasting.com/raiders-owner-al-davis-talked-cowboys-coach-jimmy-johnson-out-near-catastrophic-mistake-id-be-happy-to-trade-for-him-but-you-need-to-keep-michael-irvin/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/10/jimmy-says-jerry-told-him-you-cant-get-rid-of-herschel-walker/
In fact, Johnson was so intent on acquiring draft picks that he even considered trading future Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin.

“I considered trading every player on our roster — everybody, even a player that I loved, Michael Irvin, who played for me at Miami,” Johnson said.

Jimmy and Jerry worked together to bring Dallas to the top. Their egos worked against each other to split them apart.

Jerry hasn’t done squat without Jimmy. Jimmy hasn’t won squat without Jerry.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol.. it’s just football guys. No one we post about gives a flying fuck about any of us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have no idea why you are getting this upset over what some guys are posting about Rodgers. It's as if he's your dad or uncle or something.

Having said that, he's probably the most talented QB (along with Elway) the NFL has ever seen. Unfortunately for him, his career is largely a disappointment and it's becoming pretty obvious he is starting to believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want to turn the thread into a shit on Rodgers fest you can fuck off. Bass has about the only standing to do so and he would be too classy to do so. Until the rest of you motherfuckers show up in here year after year go fuck yourselves showing up after the fact telling people what they should do. Fuck off.

I have no idea why you are getting this upset over what some guys are posting about Rodgers. It's as if he's your dad or uncle or something.

Having said that, he's probably the most talented QB (along with Elway) the NFL has ever seen. Unfortunately for him, his career is largely a disappointment and it's becoming pretty obvious he is starting to believe it.

I think most Packers fans have slowly been accepting the reality that not only will their team soon be without a 3x+ MVP winning QB who is a first ballot Hall of Famer for the first time in 3 decades, but that their team largely wasted both QBs' careers (especially the latter).

However, when the more mentally unstable Packers fans that refuse to accept reality see things that cause to them question that, well, you get hilariousness like this:

Quoted:
And can you can go fuck yourself. I like how these experts come out after the season.

Quoted:
If you want to turn the thread into a shit on Rodgers fest you can fuck off. Bass has about the only standing to do so and he would be too classy to do so. Until the rest of you motherfuckers show up in here year after year go fuck yourselves showing up after the fact telling people what they should do. Fuck off.

Quoted:
The drama is made up BS because butthurt faggots are mad he didn't money roll his lunatic family

To make it even funnier no one even said anything that bad about Rodgers and he still had a meltdown.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is my feeling as well. I have absolutely no idea what the Packer's should do at this point. Its a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't sort of situation.

Myself I'd prefer they agree to part ways mutually, thank Aaron for the years and find out if Love is the man. Sick of all the attention and drama Rodgers brings without the playoff wins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 7 teams that definitely will be looking for a QB.

There are another 5 teams with a high likelihood of looking for a QB.

The QBs I could see making it to FA include Carr, Garoppolo, Brissett, Mayfield, and maybe Daniel Jones or Geno Smith. Lamar Jackson could end up on the trading block.

GTM currently has four QBs in the 1st round of the draft.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/896/332/1b1.gif

Yep. It won't be long now until most these QBs will have a home.

I like Carr to the Panthers or Saints. If I were him, Panthers.

Rodgers should just stay in Green Bay and get his head right.

Those floating the Colts will get a QB in the draft, good luck and hope you're patient.

I would be beating down Purdy's door with trade requests. Get him ready for 2024 but he's going to be a force.

I don't know that the Packers are going to do or even what they should do at this point.  The time to pull the trigger on trading Rodgers was last offseason.  They could've gotten 2-3 first round picks (along with a 1-2 second rounders) for him and they would've had a full season to evaluate Love.  Based on how he did they could either build around Love or use their extensive draft capital to have their pick of QBs in the draft.

Now...

That is my feeling as well. I have absolutely no idea what the Packer's should do at this point. Its a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't sort of situation.

Myself I'd prefer they agree to part ways mutually, thank Aaron for the years and find out if Love is the man. Sick of all the attention and drama Rodgers brings without the playoff wins.

Something else to consider is that the NFC has arguably never been weaker than it is right now.  I think with a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers the Packers have a higher chance of being an above average or better team than they do with Love.  Next season "above average" might be good enough if they get some lucky breaks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lol.. it’s just football guys. No one we post about gives a flying fuck about any of us.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
NFL refs carry KC the last 2 games.  They are as impartial as the FBI.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Pretty remarkable for a guy who sued the NFL for racial discrimination over head coaching positions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey they had Top Men working the AFCG and the Super Bowl.

Top Men!

The NFL needs to get this sorted, it's a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Deleted, because it's just the internets

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Something else to consider is that the NFC has arguably never been weaker than it is right now.  I think with a 40 year old Aaron Rodgers the Packers have a higher chance of being an above average or better team than they do with Love.  Next season "above average" might be good enough if they get some lucky breaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The QBs I could see making it to FA include Carr, Garoppolo, Brissett, Mayfield, and maybe Daniel Jones or Geno Smith. Lamar Jackson could end up on the trading block.

Those floating the Colts will get a QB in the draft, good luck and hope you're patient.

I would be beating down Purdy's door with trade requests. Get him ready for 2024 but he's going to be a force.

I don't know that the Packers are going to do or even what they should do at this point.  The time to pull the trigger on trading Rodgers was last offseason.  They could've gotten 2-3 first round picks (along with a 1-2 second rounders) for him and they would've had a full season to evaluate Love.  Based on how he did they could either build around Love or use their extensive draft capital to have their pick of QBs in the draft.

Now...

That's the thing, there are a lot of positives to keep him on the team but lets say Packer's go 13-4 or something. That's great and all but which Aaron are we going to get in the playoffs. Early Aaron or whatever the hech we've seen the past few years? Another year wasted when we could see what Love has or at least a year head start on a rebuild. Not a great situation unless Aaron is all in for one more year and even then who knows.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8a57b1fdafa88fca636544028062ca99/tenor.gif?itemid=4726988
View Quote

Most importantly, did he make it 4 days in the dark?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.sportscasting.com/raiders-owner-al-davis-talked-cowboys-coach-jimmy-johnson-out-near-catastrophic-mistake-id-be-happy-to-trade-for-him-but-you-need-to-keep-michael-irvin/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/10/jimmy-says-jerry-told-him-you-cant-get-rid-of-herschel-walker/

Jimmy and Jerry worked together to bring Dallas to the top. Their egos worked against each other to split them apart.

View Quote

According to the title in those links, Al Davis talked Jimmy out of it, not Jerry. And the second link says Jerry told Jimmy he couldn't trade Hershel Walker, and he did.

That sounds more like, no one was above being traded if he could make the team better.

You are correct that Jimmy really didn't win anything after Dallas, I think he was burned out on coaching by then. He was making good money on TV, with a fraction of the effort.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Of the last 30 quarterback/head coach duos to LOSE in their first Super Bowl appearance together, only ONE duo ever made it back to the Super Bowl. That was Jim Kelly/Mark Levy (who obviously went 4 times).

Independently, only four times has the quarterback OR coach (by themselves) ever made it back to the Super Bowl with the same team. Elway w/Broncos 1997, Cowher w/Steelers 2005, Manning w/Broncos 2015, McVay w/Rams 2021.

Doesn't bode well for the Eagles (Jalen Hurts/Nick Sirianni) or Bengals (Joe Burrow/Zac Taylor), historically speaking.

Edit: After every Super Bowl loss by a young quarterback there is this feel-good period where everyone keeps repeating that the young quarterback will be back again, but that hasn't happened in 30 years (Buffalo, Kelly/Levy), winning a Super Bowl is so hard that if you lose your first chance you probably won't get another.

Double Edit: We should call it the Marino Rule.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s cold out here, and the wind really sucks.

View Quote

They are letting some foul language through on the live broadcast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Andy Reid has been to 4 Super Bowls, he is 2-2. In all 4 Super Bowls his team trailed by at least 10 points in the second half.

Super Bowl XXXIX: Trailed Patriots 24-14 in 4th quarter (Lost 21-24)
Super Bowl LIV: Trailed 49ers 20-10 in 4th quarter (Won 31-20)
Super Bowl LV: Trailed Buccaneers 21-6 in 3rd quarter (Lost 9-31)
Super Bowl LVII: Trailed Eagles 24-14 in 3rd quarter (Won 38-35)

Also of worth. He is undefeated in Super Bowls where he doesn't face Tom Brady.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Of the last 30 quarterback/head coach duos to LOSE in their first Super Bowl appearance together, only ONE duo ever made it back to the Super Bowl. That was Jim Kelly/Mark Levy (who obviously went 4 times).

Independently, only four times has the quarterback OR coach (by themselves) ever made it back to the Super Bowl with the same team. Elway w/Broncos 1997, Cowher w/Steelers 2005, Manning w/Broncos 2015, McVay w/Rams 2021.

Doesn't bode well for the Eagles (Jalen Hurts/Nick Sirianni) or Bengals (Joe Burrow/Zac Taylor), historically speaking.

Edit: After every Super Bowl loss by a young quarterback there is this feel-good period where everyone keeps repeating that the young quarterback will be back again, but that hasn't happened in 30 years (Buffalo, Kelly/Levy), winning a Super Bowl is so hard that if you lose your first chance you probably won't get another.

View Quote

In NFL history only 21 QBs have multiple super bowl appearances as starters*
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In NFL history only 21 QBs have multiple super bowl appearances as starters*
View Quote
There are now only two active quarterbacks with multiple Super Bowl appearances.
Russell Wilson (13 & 14)
Pat Mahomes (19, 20 & 22)

Mahomes is now the only active quarterback with multiple Super Bowl wins (only 5 QBs in the last 20+ years).
Edit: Those 5 quarterbacks are responsible for 15 of the last 22 Super Bowl victories.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

IMO, get Love a contract that works for him transitioning from backup to starter. Something heavy with incentives & low baseline guaranteed. Then keep Rodgers if he wants to stay and workout some contract shenanigans there as well. Basically just work with the man. No one wants to be pushed out the door, but especially when they think they've got more left in them. Put the ball in his hands & let him go out on his sword or playing his way back to a higher trade value where BOTH sides can agree on the path forward. He gave plenty to the org, they can respect him enough to let him choose how he wants to go out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8a57b1fdafa88fca636544028062ca99/tenor.gif?itemid=4726988
View Quote

It doesn't say anything about not washing them...
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to mention only having one good season and that was with the most loaded roster in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second the motion
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IMO, get Love a contract that works for him transitioning from backup to starter. Something heavy with incentives & low baseline guaranteed. Then keep Rodgers if he wants to stay and workout some contract shenanigans there as well. Basically just work with the man. No one wants to be pushed out the door, but especially when they think they've got more left in them. Put the ball in his hands & let him go out on his sword or playing his way back to a higher trade value where BOTH sides can agree on the path forward. He gave plenty to the org, they can respect him enough to let him choose how he wants to go out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

Love already has "set for life money" with $12.3M and, as is, if the Packers want him in 2024 it'll be at least $20M fully guaranteed.  After that it's either tag him, give him a contract he wants, or see your first round pick walk.  There is not a chance in hell Love signs a contract "heavy with incentives & low baseline guaranteed."
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not until wives are involved...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Give it a rest.

If anyone handed KC the Superbowl,it was Gannon by being a fucking moron with his coverage and never adjusting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Love already has "set for life money" with $12.3M and, as is, if the Packers want him in 2024 it'll be at least $20M fully guaranteed.  After that it's either tag him, give him a contract he wants, or see your first round pick walk.  There is not a chance in hell Love signs a contract "heavy with incentives & low baseline guaranteed."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

Who else will pay him?

All else aside, his best chance to play well is in a system he’s been studying for 3 years with a decent O line in Green Bay.

Is Carolina going to back up the truck with a 25M per year contract? New Orleans?

As a Green Bay fan, I do not want him as my starter. He’s been training with this head coach and a first round HOFer for three years. Who else would want him with another few QBs coming out this year?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

Who is beating down his door with a bag of money? I'm sure somebody would be willing to give him a legit starting role & contract, but how bad is that team going to be? The fact of the matter is that Love has put very little on tape and you & I both know that will be used against him in any negotiations. Right now he's poised to be the successor to a historic HoF run at QB for a historic franchise. The same franchise that had enough confidence in him to draft him in the 1st round immediately after a deep playoff run that many expected to be ran back in the following season. It might not be cold hard cash, but it's something that may resonate with some individuals. He knows the offense, he's familiar with the players, it's not a bad roster or FO (even if there is room for improvement), etc. If it were me, and I was already "set for life" as you said, I'd prefer being on a team that already invested in me/my future & is still poised for success vs. seeking a slighty bigger bag of money from a franchise that's in shambles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the refs let the Chiefs score on every single drive in the second half? Did the refs make Hurts fumble? Also the second potential fumble TD could have went either way but went Phillys way. Did the refs allow the longest punt return in SB history or leave two dudes as wide open as you’ll ever see?

Give me a break.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Love is entering the final year of his rookie contract at $2.3M.
The Packers have until May 1st to pick up Love's 5th year option. Which would be ~$20M.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

According to the title in those links, Al Davis talked Jimmy out of it, not Jerry. And the second link says Jerry told Jimmy he couldn't trade Hershel Walker, and he did.

That sounds more like, no one was above being traded if he could make the team better.

You are correct that Jimmy really didn't win anything after Dallas, I think he was burned out on coaching by then. He was making good money on TV, with a fraction of the effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what the link says. It’s not how I recall the article in BWBB (but I’ve been wrong many times before). IIRC, Jimmy wanted to trade Irvin, Davis talked to Jerry and Jerry convinced Jimmy otherwise. And the way I read it, Jerry was more saying “if you trade Walker this team will be awful and not be able to score”, not “I won’t allow him to be traded”. Jerry was correct in the short term and Dallas was able to fleece Minn.

Anyways, it doesn’t matter, my stance isn’t that Jerry gets all the credit and Jimmy sucked, rather that they worked together to find the correct path until mid 93. Jerry has failed for far longer then Jimmy though and Jerry is still dragging Dallas down with his bad coaching hires, poor roster management, and poor cap management, not to mention a country club atmosphere that many thinks has contributed mightily to their continued failure.

ETA: Jerry has always been Dallas Cowboys GM.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Who is beating down his door with a bag of money? I'm sure somebody would be willing to give him a legit starting role & contract, but how bad is that team going to be? The fact of the matter is that Love has put very little on tape and you & I both know that will be used against him in any negotiations. Right now he's poised to be the successor to a historic HoF run at QB for a historic franchise. The same franchise that had enough confidence in him to draft him in the 1st round immediately after a deep playoff run that many expected to be ran back in the following season. It might not be cold hard cash, but it's something that may resonate with some individuals. He knows the offense, he's familiar with the players, it's not a bad roster or FO (even if there is room for improvement), etc. If it were me, and I was already "set for life" as you said, I'd prefer being on a team that already invested in me/my future & is still poised for success vs. seeking a slighty bigger bag of money from a franchise that's in shambles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

Its not that teams are beating down his door to give him a 9 figure deal.  It's that I think he has more power in the situation than the Packers do.  Players with more power than the teams that want them generally do not sign contracts that are "heavy with incentives and with a low guarantee."

For 99%+ of players making as much money as possible is their #1 concern with nothing else being even close.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Its not that teams are beating down his door to give him a 9 figure deal.  It's that I think he has more power in the situation than the Packers do.  Players with more power than the teams that want them generally do not sign contracts that are "heavy with incentives and with a low guarantee."

For 99%+ of players making as much money as possible is their #1 concern with nothing else being even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

Love has no power. The only reason Green Bay has a reason to attempt to re sign him is to prove to the fan base they didn’t waste a first round pick. He’s put nothing on tape to demonstrate that he’s a starting NFL Quarterback.

Where’s all this leverage Love has? Who wants him?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Geno Smith signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M and earned himself an additional $3.5M in incentives this year. He was being paid league minimum as a backup prior to that.

Flacco made $3.5M in New York this year.
Chad Henne made $2M in KC
Colt McCoy made $3.75M in AZ
Tyrod made $5.5M in NY
Andy Dalton made $3M in NO
Keenum made $6M in MIN
Heinicke made $2.4M in WAS
Foles made $3.1M in IND

That is realistically what Love is worth until proven otherwise. About $3M a year.

Edit: Realistically. Until he gets a chance to show what he is capable of, I don't see him taking anything but 1 year deals with incentives. He won't want to sign himself for multiple years at a budget rate, but no team is going to give him more than budget rate until he proves his value.

Geno has signed a 1 year deal SIX times in a row to get to where he is now, and now he'll look to bank in on it after finally getting the chance to prove himself in Seattle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know what the link says. It’s not how I recall the article in BWBB (but I’ve been wrong many times before). IIRC, Jimmy wanted to trade Irvin, Davis talked to Jerry and Jerry convinced Jimmy otherwise. And the way I read it, Jerry was more saying “if you trade Walker this team will be awful and not be able to score”, not “I won’t allow him to be traded”. Jerry was correct in the short term and Dallas was able to fleece Minn.

Anyways, it doesn’t matter, my stance isn’t that Jerry gets all the credit and Jimmy sucked, rather that they worked together to find the correct path until mid 93. Jerry has failed for far longer then Jimmy though and Jerry is still dragging Dallas down with his bad coaching hires, poor roster management, and poor cap management, not to mention a country club atmosphere that many thinks has contributed mightily to their continued failure.

View Quote

Agreed, I guess my point was, only under 2 coaches did Jerry allow them a say, Johnson and Parcels.

But, I think we can agree, the constant since Jimmy left is Jerry. And the fact that this franchise, with the talent they have had a few times, hasn't even sniffed the NFC title game? There is no excuse for that.

Until Stephen is running the team, then we will see. I hope he is more like Bob Kraft. Hire football people to run the team, hold them accountable.

Not the Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, owner has hands directly on everything in the organization approach.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Packers have until May 1st to pick up Love's 5th year option. Which would be ~$20M.
View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can also offer him a contract instead of taking the 5th year option.

Let's say, 4 year deal, $20M signing bonus (to equal the 5th year option) maybe $8m/yr as a backup salary (plus or minus, not sure where backup QB contracts are at) with incentives for stats, play time, games started, etc.

You get the same guaranteed money as if they took the 5th year option, you get a decent base salary, if you become the guy due to injury or just play then you can earn what your play is worth as a starter, and you have 4 more years of relative stability in a system & franchise you know quite well.

Whether or not he wants to do that is one thing, but I believe it's a possibility as far as the rules go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can also offer him a contract instead of taking the 5th year option.

Let's say, 4 year deal, $20M signing bonus (to equal the 5th year option) maybe $8m/yr as a backup salary (plus or minus, not sure where backup QB contracts are at) with incentives for stats, play time, games started, etc.

You get the same guaranteed money as if they took the 5th year option, you get a decent base salary, if you become the guy due to injury or just play then you can earn what your play is worth as a starter, and you have 4 more years of relative stability in a system & franchise you know quite well.

Whether or not he wants to do that is one thing, but I believe it's a possibility as far as the rules go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that would be possible if both parties wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like they did with Favre?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

5th year + franchise tag will be around $50m over two seasons. That will be the starting point of negotiations.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Love has no power. The only reason Green Bay has a reason to attempt to re sign him is to prove to the fan base they didn’t waste a first round pick. He’s put nothing on tape to demonstrate that he’s a starting NFL Quarterback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

I agree, the only power Love has is that GB already expended draft capital on him. You could argue being a young unproven QB has some power in its own right, but GB is also the only team who really knows what he can do and considering they keep paying Rodgers big money that seems to indicate they're not in a hurry to make him the face of the franchise.

Frankly, I see no reason for GB or any other team to bend over backwards for him. The league likes rookies & vets, not dudes who rode the bench for years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course. Any player can sign an extension or replacement contract with their current contracted team at any time.

Wilson signed his 5 year extension with the Broncos while still having 2 years remaining on his contract.
Rodgers new fucked deal was also technically a 3 year extension with 2 years remaining on his contract.

Very common for rookies to sign their extensions after their 3rd year. Josh Allen signed his 6 year extension after his 3rd year after the Bills had also confirmed the 5th year option.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Micah Parsons responding to above Tweet:

Combine with his earlier comments about quarterback contracts and winning with rookie QB's etc...
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Geno Smith signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M and earned himself an additional $3.5M in incentives this year. He was being paid league minimum as a backup prior to that.

Tyrod made $5.5M in NY
Keenum made $6M in MIN
Foles made $3.1M in IND

That is realistically what Love is worth until proven otherwise. About $3M a year.

Edit: Realistically. Until he gets a chance to show what he is capable of, I don't see him taking anything but 1 year deals with incentives. He won't want to sign himself for multiple years at a budget rate, but no team is going to give him more than budget rate until he proves his value.

Geno has signed a 1 year deal SIX times in a row to get to where he is now, and now he'll look to bank in on it after finally getting the chance to prove himself in Seattle.
View Quote

And Geno is a perfect example here. Gets drafted to a dumpster franchise, gets thrown into the volcano that is NFL play, looks like a bust because of the situation, has to be a backup for years and years (aka, teams want rookies or proven vets as starters) despite looking decent in his limited action, and he finally gets an opportunity to start again and thankfully for him he capitalized on it.

I'm pretty sure Love doesn't love riding the bench, but if he's smart he'll choose his path based on a supporting cast and not just who is desperate enough to pay him more. GB or otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was in Miami during his time there and it was a total shitshow.   Without that Walker trade equivalent in Miami, he did nothing.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And Geno is a perfect example here. Gets drafted to a dumpster franchise, gets thrown into the volcano that is NFL play, looks like a bust because of the situation, has to be a backup for years and years despite looking decent in his limited action, and he finally gets an opportunity to start again and thankfully for him he capitalized on it.

I'm pretty sure Love doesn't love riding the bench, but if he's smart he'll choose his path based on a supporting cast and not just who is desperate enough to pay him more. GB or otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tyrod made $5.5M in NY
Keenum made $6M in MIN
Foles made $3.1M in IND

And Geno is a perfect example here. Gets drafted to a dumpster franchise, gets thrown into the volcano that is NFL play, looks like a bust because of the situation, has to be a backup for years and years despite looking decent in his limited action, and he finally gets an opportunity to start again and thankfully for him he capitalized on it.

Even quarterbacks who have started for years sometimes have to do it. Jameis Winston made $46M over 5 seasons with the Bucs. He signed with the Saints on a 1yr league minimum contract so he could back up Drew Brees, learn a little, and hopefully take the starting job when Drew left.

Then he signed a 1yr $5.5M deal taking over as the starter (much like Geno this year) and he was playing really well until he tore his ACL. Then, even with the ACL tear, he signed on for $14MPY this year (before he broke his back).

If a guy who led the league in yards one year, can take league minimum the next year to put himself in place to learn and take over a better team... Love will take the 1 year $3M incentive deal hoping for a chance to prove himself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now...

I've seen tape that he is improving and from what I heard internally in the org and externally that seems to be the case. Not that it means he has any sort of leverage. I'm all in on Rodgers returning IF he's all in next season. I really could do without all the headcase drama queen fuckery that goes with him though. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed, I guess my point was, only under 2 coaches did Jerry allow them a say, Johnson and Parcels.

But, I think we can agree, the constant since Jimmy left is Jerry. And the fact that this franchise, with the talent they have had a few times, hasn't even sniffed the NFC title game? There is no excuse for that.

Until Stephen is running the team, then we will see. I hope he is more like Bob Kraft. Hire football people to run the team, hold them accountable.

Not the Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, owner has hands directly on everything in the organization approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on every bit of what you posted on this post. Every bit. I’m hoping Jerry continues to listen to football people as he’s done more and more of in recent years
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Love has no power. The only reason Green Bay has a reason to attempt to re sign him is to prove to the fan base they didn't waste a first round pick. He's put nothing on tape to demonstrate that he's a starting NFL Quarterback.

Where's all this leverage Love has? Who wants him?
View Quote

One of these teams played in the SB last weekend. The other needs a new QB this season or next. Love's body of work at the pro level is minuscule but if he can operate within Lafleur's system, throw a half-decent ball, and make the occasional athletic play; he might be good. Might even be really good.

At this point I'll take a guy with potential who is willing to show up to training camp and throw to the rookies over Rodgers for a lot of the reasons posted yesterday.

Every Jordan Love Pass Against The Eagles | Packers Highlights

Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top