BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even quarterbacks who have started for years sometimes have to do it. Jameis Winston made $46M over 5 seasons with the Bucs. He signed with the Saints on a 1yr league minimum contract so he could back up Drew Brees, learn a little, and hopefully take the starting job when Drew left.

Then he signed a 1yr $5.5M deal taking over as the starter (much like Geno this year) and he was playing really well until he tore his ACL. Then, even with the ACL tear, he signed on for $14MPY this year (before he broke his back).

If a guy who led the league in yards one year, can take league minimum the next year to put himself in place to learn and take over a better team... Love will take the 1 year $3M incentive deal hoping for a chance to prove himself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geno Smith signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M and earned himself an additional $3.5M in incentives this year. He was being paid league minimum as a backup prior to that.

Flacco made $3.5M in New York this year.
Chad Henne made $2M in KC
Colt McCoy made $3.75M in AZ
Tyrod made $5.5M in NY
Andy Dalton made $3M in NO
Keenum made $6M in MIN
Heinicke made $2.4M in WAS
Foles made $3.1M in IND

That is realistically what Love is worth until proven otherwise. About $3M a year.

Edit: Realistically. Until he gets a chance to show what he is capable of, I don't see him taking anything but 1 year deals with incentives. He won't want to sign himself for multiple years at a budget rate, but no team is going to give him more than budget rate until he proves his value.

Geno has signed a 1 year deal SIX times in a row to get to where he is now, and now he'll look to bank in on it after finally getting the chance to prove himself in Seattle.

And Geno is a perfect example here. Gets drafted to a dumpster franchise, gets thrown into the volcano that is NFL play, looks like a bust because of the situation, has to be a backup for years and years despite looking decent in his limited action, and he finally gets an opportunity to start again and thankfully for him he capitalized on it.

I'm pretty sure Love doesn't love riding the bench, but if he's smart he'll choose his path based on a supporting cast and not just who is desperate enough to pay him more. GB or otherwise.
Even quarterbacks who have started for years sometimes have to do it. Jameis Winston made $46M over 5 seasons with the Bucs. He signed with the Saints on a 1yr league minimum contract so he could back up Drew Brees, learn a little, and hopefully take the starting job when Drew left.

Then he signed a 1yr $5.5M deal taking over as the starter (much like Geno this year) and he was playing really well until he tore his ACL. Then, even with the ACL tear, he signed on for $14MPY this year (before he broke his back).

If a guy who led the league in yards one year, can take league minimum the next year to put himself in place to learn and take over a better team... Love will take the 1 year $3M incentive deal hoping for a chance to prove himself.

I think it's funny that despite me being the one to initially suggest what basically amounts to a "team friendly deal" and why Love should want to go that route, that you seem more confident in it than I do...

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Geno Smith signed a 1 year deal worth $3.5M and earned himself an additional $3.5M in incentives this year. He was being paid league minimum as a backup prior to that.

Flacco made $3.5M in New York this year.
Chad Henne made $2M in KC
Colt McCoy made $3.75M in AZ
Tyrod made $5.5M in NY
Andy Dalton made $3M in NO
Keenum made $6M in MIN
Heinicke made $2.4M in WAS
Foles made $3.1M in IND
View Quote

Umm....Keenum is in Buffalo now
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Umm....Keenum is in Buffalo now
View Quote
Sorry, brain put him in a Vikings uniform as I was typing that stuff out for some reason. Even though he has been out of MIN since 2018.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think it's funny that despite me being the one to initially suggest what basically amounts to a "team friendly deal" and why Love should want to go that route, that you seem more confident in it than I do...
View Quote
It's not even about taking a team friendly deal. It's about taking what you HAVE to take, but taking it in the best place to potentially take more next time.

Does Jordan Love want to gamble on the open market, or continue to hang on and potentially take over as the starting quarterback for a historic franchise in the Green Bay Packers? With a system, coach and players he has already fit in with for years?

I'm staying put on 1 year deals, with some incentives for snap count and production, and then betting on myself that as soon as I get the chance to start, I will prove my value and the very next year I'm getting paid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say he's the guy but I do agree at this point they shouldn't trade up in the draft or be big spenders on a QB.

The team they fielded this season only had 63% of the salary cap to utilize. There's so many holes that a QB isn't going to solve anything.
View Quote

I agree that it is too early to annoint him a franchise QB, but there is no guarantee in the draft either.  I feel better about my chances with the guy that has been on the team for a year.  He hasn't done anything to make you believe that he can't be the guy.  He has earned the chance to be the starter next year.  If he fails, draft a QB next year.  

I do think that he is going to be a good one though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My view for the day:

After a World Series and two Super Bowls, it feels like these are getting smoother.

I’m pretty sure turnout was better this year than after SB LIV.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of these teams played in the SB last weekend. The other needs a new QB this season or next. Love's body of work at the pro level is minuscule but if he can operate within Lafleur's system, throw a half-decent ball, and make the occasional athletic play; he might be good. Might even be really good.

At this point I'll take a guy with potential who is willing to show up to training camp and throw to the rookies over Rodgers for a lot of the reasons posted yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIONmDiN4E
View Quote

The GB fan in me wants to take what I saw in that Eagles game & extrapolate it into a great career...

...but realistically you have to look at it in context. That game is essentially Love's highlight reel. His preseason games weren't close to it despite the lower level of talent on the field. On top of that, the Eagles had a two score lead in the 4th quarter and any team in that situation is going to be playing a somewhat softer defense. Just look at the last game the Eagles played...

It's great that Love did what he did, but I don't really see it moving the needle as much as he'd like it to.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My view for the day:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/D8C6C097-ABB3-4903-8141-31719AE1F807-2712400.jpg

After a World Series and two Super Bowls, it feels like these are getting smoother.

I'm pretty sure turnout was better this year than after SB LIV.
View Quote
Great warm up for the police/staff since the draft will be in that exact same spot in a couple months.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My view for the day:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/D8C6C097-ABB3-4903-8141-31719AE1F807-2712400.jpg

View Quote

Sweet!  How bad was the traffic?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My view for the day:

View Quote

You must be some sort of superfan to go to a rally for a team that isn't a contender. By the way, how'd they do this year?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Next year's logo:

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My view for the day:

View Quote

So after spending the vast majority of the season trashing the Chiefs as not even being contenders, you go to the Super Bowl victory celebration.

The Simpsons - Isotopes Bandwagoner

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's not even about taking a team friendly deal. It's about taking what you HAVE to take, but taking it in the best place to potentially take more next time.

Does Jordan Love want to gamble on the open market, or continue to hang on and potentially take over as the starting quarterback for a historic franchise in the Green Bay Packers? With a system, coach and players he has already fit in with for years?

I'm staying put on 1 year deals, with some incentives for snap count and production, and then betting on myself that as soon as I get the chance to start, I will prove my value and the very next year I'm getting paid.
View Quote

Well, GB has to decide if he is going to be their QB in 24 before Rodgers decides on the 23 season. They can roll dice and choose not to pick up his 5th year option in hopes that Rodgers comes back this season.

If Rodgers doesn’t come back and Love has a good season they will be forced to tag him, let him walk, and give him a long term deal at real starter money.

He’s potentially in Cousins situation here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Who lit the Tampon on the Rogers fan?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who lit the Tampon on the Rogers fan?
View Quote

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then he had a full on meltdown.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then he had a full on meltdown.
View Quote

There's a meltdown every season. This time it wasn't me
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always next year

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad I didn't shitpost what came to mind about Rogers. I may have gotten more than a fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Of the last 30 quarterback/head coach duos to LOSE in their first Super Bowl appearance together, only ONE duo ever made it back to the Super Bowl. That was Jim Kelly/Mark Levy (who obviously went 4 times).

Independently, only four times has the quarterback OR coach (by themselves) ever made it back to the Super Bowl with the same team. Elway w/Broncos 1997, Cowher w/Steelers 2005, Manning w/Broncos 2015, McVay w/Rams 2021.

Doesn't bode well for the Eagles (Jalen Hurts/Nick Sirianni) or Bengals (Joe Burrow/Zac Taylor), historically speaking.

Edit: After every Super Bowl loss by a young quarterback there is this feel-good period where everyone keeps repeating that the young quarterback will be back again, but that hasn't happened in 30 years (Buffalo, Kelly/Levy), winning a Super Bowl is so hard that if you lose your first chance you probably won't get another.

Double Edit: We should call it the Marino Rule.
View Quote

There this too…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Drew Bledsoe made it back. Although he wasn't the starter, he did win the AFC championship for the Patriots so they could play in the Super Bowl.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only good, aggressive defense the bills have had in 50 years is the one the ryan brothers came in and destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only good, aggressive defense the bills have had in 50 years is the one the ryan brothers came in and destroyed.
View Quote

And if they hire Ryan..... well, I will enjoy the mid that will ensue
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]

One of those is not like the others.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

When you go in early and leave late, it's not terrible.

We were in the city and parked by 9. Traffic was only noticeable when we got within a few blocks of the closed off area.

When we got back to the vehicle, we pulled out a grill and started cooking. I don't think we started driving until at least 3:45-4:00. There was a bad bottleneck due to lane closures on Linwood (nice area to be stuck sitting for a while...), but once we hit the highway, it felt like normal rush hour traffic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So after spending the vast majority of the season trashing the Chiefs as not even being contenders, you go to the Super Bowl victory celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQm1lcsCSk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

There's a difference between "trashing" a team and trying to maintain realistic expectations about a team.

The Chiefs defense was a bottom-10ish unit for the first half the season or so, and most of their statistical improvements after that came against bad teams.

Rooting and cheering for a unit like that is one thing. Trusting and having confidence in them is something else.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You must be some sort of superfan to go to a rally for a team that isn't a contender. By the way, how'd they do this year?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The haters are going to hate. Said we were doomed after loosing Tyreek Hill and the Honey Badger and several other players after last season.

Said it was a rebuilding time for the Chief's
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There's a difference between "trashing" a team and trying to maintain realistic expectations about a team.

The Chiefs defense was a bottom-10ish unit for the first half the season or so, and most of their statistical improvements after that came against bad teams.

Rooting and cheering for a unit like that is one thing. Trusting and having confidence in them is something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

Realistic expectations?  Dude, come off it.  The Chiefs were THE favorites to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason; meanwhile you were claiming they weren't even contenders.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#29]
HUGE NEWS!!!

Mark Davis... the guy with the shittiest haircut in the world....

Is now bald....

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Realistic expectations?  Dude, come off it.  The Chiefs were THE favorites to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason; meanwhile you were claiming they weren't even contenders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

Yes... realistic expectations.

I consider a good defense to be a prerequisite for a feasible Super Bowl run.

By most metrics, Chiefs didn't have that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I like that picture of him with the backpack where he looks like a 70 year old elementary school student.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

If you said you didn't think the Chiefs would win the Super Bowl that would be one thing.  However, to claim the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason isn't even a contender to win the Super Bowl is, IMO, most definitely not realistic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Much better than the toddler cut.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the season started they had the third best odds to win the SB.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Drew Bledsoe made it back. Although he wasn't the starter, he did win the AFC championship for the Patriots so they could play in the Super Bowl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You’re right, but 1 outta 17 isn’t good!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was in Miami during his time there and it was a total shitshow.   Without that Walker trade equivalent in Miami, he did nothing.

View Quote

IMO that was Jimmy's greatest strength, evaluating talent and assembling a roster. In Dallas he had great coordinators running the Offense and Defense. He was also great at instilling discipline in the team.

And remember he built the Dallas team before the salary cap. He was in Miami after the cap was in place.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

You say bizarre, I say fucking awesome. I have come here for the last 20 plus years for entertainment, and that was entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You say bizarre, I say fucking awesome. I have come here for the last 20 plus years for entertainment, and that was entertaining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of bizarre.  People were casually discussing what they thought the Packers and Rodgers should do for next season and then? he had a full on meltdown.

No penalty?
Timeout or permaban?
Predictions?
Odds?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you were trying to "maintain realistic expectations" about the Chiefs, you failed spectacularly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you were trying to "maintain realistic expectations" about the Chiefs, you failed spectacularly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s just a higher standard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, dude just lost his mind over innocuous comments. I went back and reread to see if I missed something… nope

As to BassGasm, meh, he’s a fan and he was trying to be realistic. If I lived in DFW and the Cowboys won a SuperBowl () I would be at the celebration. Id be telling everyone how I didn’t think they had a chance, but managed to win it all. I understand that mindset completely.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

So from Three Stooges Moe to sickly Lex Luther.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I found the video of Bass hugging Kelce at :14 in

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's always next year

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always next year

Try again. We're Bills fans, we're used to that saying
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#45]
lol on Kelce podcast: can an average person get 1 yard on a rushing attempt?

id say hell no on a goal line situation
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#46]
So should we talk about how Mahomes even said he doesn’t even know what a rebuild is?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you said you didn't think the Chiefs would win the Super Bowl that would be one thing.  However, to claim the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl heading into the postseason isn't even a contender to win the Super Bowl is, IMO, most definitely not realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My view for the day:

Are you incapable of formulating a discussion on this topic that doesn't rely exclusively on Vegas?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Try again. We're Bills fans, we're used to that saying
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow, we apparently went from "defense wins championships" to "defense doesn't matter." I must have missed that memo.

The Chiefs defense finished at #16 in points per game.

The Chiefs allowed a NFL record 35 points in their Super Bowl win.

Setting league records for winning with bad defensive play. Totally realistic. I should have seen that coming.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you incapable of formulating a discussion on this topic that doesn't rely exclusively on Vegas?
View Quote

Do you know how Vegas works?

Who is more likely to be correct -
A. Guys that careers depend on the odds
B. Guys that spend an entire offseason coming up with hot takes so they get clicks?
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top