BCM
User Panel

Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lamar is a greedy bitch.

Have fun on the franchise tag.  Or not playing at all.
View Quote

It would be nice to see the NFL finally take a stand and see someone get left out because teams won't cave.

He is sorta in a tough spot, because if he caves now, he knows it will look bad on himself.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lamar is a greedy bitch.

View Quote

I don’t think so.  He’s trying to secure the best contract for himself.  On a much smaller scale, I’ve gone the same in my professional career.  

That’s not being a greedy bitch, that’s being smart.

I think the Browns were idiots to pay Watson a fully guaranteed contract,  I don’t think the Ravens will do the same, but Lamar only needs one foolish owner to get himself the same.  

I’m guessing Lamar plans to play one season on a franchise tag then hit free agency.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He’s trying to secure the best contract for himself.  On a much smaller scale, I’ve gone the same in my professional career.  

I think the Browns were idiots to pay Watson a fully guaranteed contract,  I don’t think the Ravens will do the same, but Lamar only needs one foolish owner to get himself the same.  

I’m guessing Lamar plans to play one season on a franchise tag then hit free agency.
View Quote

And miraculously, he'll have an outstanding year, one in which he'll be named "Comeback Player of the Year."
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And miraculously, he'll have an outstanding year, one in which he'll be named "Comeback Player of the Year."
View Quote

NFL loves a good storyline!
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don’t think so.  He’s trying to secure the best contract for himself.  On a much smaller scale, I’ve gone the same in my professional career.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lamar is a greedy bitch.

Apples and bowling bowls.  Unless of course your employer offered you a 5 year contract that would mean the second you signed your great-great grand kids could be set for life and you were willing to risk your career coming to an end with not even enough money to retire on because you wanted even more money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wilson is a POS.

That comes from a rabid Seahawks fan that I know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]

The Orlando Brown situation sucks. I really don't know what you do with that guy.

I'm also surprised they're projecting that much of a difference between JuJu and Jakobi Meyers. I think Meyers is a better player, but I'm not sure the premium is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cancelled my subscription to The Athletic when they were purchased by WaPo, but there's been a good number of articles I would have liked to have access to recently.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Stephen A Smith (via FT on ESPN) said that Lamar NEVER asked for a fully guaranteed contract.

Who do you believe? ESPN guy #1 or ESPN guy #2?

Amazing how one network can make two completely opposite claims on the same channel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpvILGWXoAEUXVp?format=png&name=4096x4096

The Orlando Brown situation sucks. I really don't know what you do with that guy.

I'm also surprised they're projecting that much of a difference between JuJu and Jakobi Meyers. I think Meyers is a better player, but I'm not sure the premium is worth it.
View Quote

I REALLY hope the Cowboys let Dalton Schultz walk.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stephen A Smith (via FT on ESPN) said that Lamar NEVER asked for a fully guaranteed contract.

Amazing how one network can make two completely opposite claims on the same channel.
View Quote

Who is the other guy?

Stephen A Smith is someone who knows basketball and fakes his way through talking about other sports by making generic comments and hoping if he yells a lot no one notices he doesn’t know WTF he’s talking about so by default I’m inclined to agree with whoever the other guy is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
$16.5MPY for Jakobi!?

The receiver market must be worse than I imagined.

I can't imagine what Mike Evans must be asking for right now as he enters the final year of his old 5 year deal. Really goes to show you though, if you're a top level receiver, you shouldn't be signing deals that long. Mike Evans signed for $16.5MPY on a 5 year deal... If he had signed a 3 year deal, and then extended, he would probably be earning mid 20's right now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who is the other guy?

Stephen A Smith is someone who knows basketball and fakes his way through talking about other sports by making generic comments and hoping if he yells a lot no one notices he doesn't know WTF he's talking about so by default I'm inclined to agree with whoever the other guy is.
View Quote
I put it in my post yesterday when it was reported, IIRC it was Jeff Darlington, who moved to ESPN from the NFL Network.

Edit: Now that I think about that, I think it was Darlington who talked about Rodgers in his hidey-hole. The Lamar report may have been Jeremy Fowler.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
$16.5MPY for Jakobi!?

I can't imagine what Mike Evans must be asking for right now as he enters the final year of his old 5 year deal. Really goes to show you though, if you're a top level receiver, you shouldn't be signing deals that long. Mike Evans signed for $16.5MPY on a 5 year deal... If he had signed a 3 year deal, and then extended, he would probably be earning mid 20's right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$16.5MPY for Jakobi!?

The Christian Kirk deal last season ruined WR FA. He's nobody special and he got $18M APY.

Ahead of him, you've got very good guys like AJB, Diggs, and Metcalf at $25M and Hill at the top at $30M.

Even at $16.5M, I think Jakobi compares well in terms of value/roster construction. He's one of the most underrated offensive skill guys in the league.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

If Stephen A Smith said gravity exists I would push my computer monitor off my desk with full confidence that it would float about the room and remain undamaged.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I cancelled my subscription to The Athletic when they were purchased by WaPo, but there's been a good number of articles I would have liked to have access to recently.

The Athletic is reporting that in February 2022, two weeks before the Seahawks traded Russ to the Broncos, that Russell Wilson asked Seahawks ownership (Jody Allen, Paul Allen's sister and trust controller) to fire both GM John Schneider and HC Pete Carroll and replace Pete with Sean Payton.

Here's the entire article:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
$16.5MPY for Jakobi!?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$16.5MPY for Jakobi!?

I’m of the opinion that you shouldn’t pay WRs in their 30s.  It seems to very rarely end up working out well for the team.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put it in my post yesterday when it was reported, IIRC it was Jeff Darlington, who moved to ESPN from the NFL Network.

Edit: Now that I think about that, I think it was Darlington who talked about Rodgers in his hidey-hole. The Lamar report may have been Jeremy Fowler.
View Quote

Fowler and Jamison Hensley (ESPN Ravens Reporter)
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

$6B is actually pretty low considering Forbes had them at $5.6M a year ago.

If Bezos does buy the team Redskins fans are lucky they already have the new name “Commanders” because I wouldn’t have been shocked if Bezos came up with a more “progressive” name.  Of course, he still could if he really wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Continuing the Super Bowl grass discussion: Danny Amendola, speaking on Chris Long's podcast, says that when the Patriots played the Seahawks in Super Bowl 52 inside Arizona's State Farm Stadium, that Bill Belichick insisted that all his players wear 7 stud cleats because he knew the field conditions would be an issue.

"When you play a night game in AZ, for some reason the grass always gets a little dewy at night, and it's so slick," Amendola said, via Boston.com. "I've worn seven studs on that field numerous times."

Amendola said many players don't like the seven-stud cleats because the shoes are heavier and players feel slower, but Belichick required them.

"Bill made it a mandatory seven-stud game," Amendola said. "We were all bitching and moaning, but we didn't have too many slips."

"On that surface, you've got to switch the tires out and put the seven-studs in," Amendola said. "I feel like you get a lot better traction. You don't feel like you can play as fast in them, but at the same time, you're chopping it up, you're gripping the turf. ... Anybody that slipped [in Super Bowl LVII], look at the cleats they were wearing. They were probably wearing the wrong tires."
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Continuing the Super Bowl grass discussion: Danny Amendola, speaking on Chris Long's podcast, says that when the Patriots played the Seahawks in Super Bowl 52 inside Arizona's State Farm Stadium, that Bill Belichick insisted that all his players wear 7 stud cleats because he knew the field conditions would be an issue.

"When you play a night game in AZ, for some reason the grass always gets a little dewy at night, and it's so slick," Amendola said, via Boston.com. "I've worn seven studs on that field numerous times."

Amendola said many players don't like the seven-stud cleats because the shoes are heavier and players feel slower, but Belichick required them.

"Bill made it a mandatory seven-stud game," Amendola said. "We were all bitching and moaning, but we didn't have too many slips."

"On that surface, you've got to switch the tires out and put the seven-studs in," Amendola said. "I feel like you get a lot better traction. You don't feel like you can play as fast in them, but at the same time, you're chopping it up, you're gripping the turf. ... Anybody that slipped [in Super Bowl LVII], look at the cleats they were wearing. They were probably wearing the wrong tires."
View Quote

Wasn’t there a series after halftime in which the Chiefs’ ball carrier slipped and fell down multiple times during the same series?

I could be remembering that wrong though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpvILGWXoAEUXVp?format=png&name=4096x4096

Most of what I've heard says this is a good draft class for TE.

I feel like that's a mixed bag. TE tends to be a very hard position to draft, especially in higher rounds. I also think more teams are going to be looking at TE because FA WRs have gotten so expensive and this year's class isn't awesome.

Brett Kollman and EJ Snyder did an hour long podcast mostly discussing strength of different position groups in the draft.

Here's the TL;DW version:

Very strong position groups:
CB
DL (all of it, best since 2011)
RB

Good position groups:
TE
IOL
Maybe ILB

Decent:
WR (probably no elite talent, but very good depth)

Iffy:
QB

Bad:
OT (2-3 good players, rest are developmental)

The Strongest Position Groups of the 2023 NFL Draft
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#26]

That would put him at ~QB9. It's Cousins/Goff money.

That seems like fair market value to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spotrac's "Market Value" algorithm has him at $37.7MPY on a 3yr deal. Again at QB9.

Considering Geno and Jones are going to end up in that same range, agreed, more than fair price for a veteran/experienced quarterback.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you could build a playoff caliber team with Carr at about 20 million. 35 limits your options for free agents and extending rookie stars.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Spotrac's "Market Value" algorithm has him at $37.7MPY on a 3yr deal. Again at QB9.

Considering Geno and Jones are going to end up in that same range, agreed, more than fair price for a veteran/experienced quarterback.
View Quote

The Jones contract seems to be the one most heavily influenced by this one. I don't know if his agent is actually asking for $45M or if that's just noise.

Quoted:

I think you could build a playoff caliber team with Carr at about 20 million. 35 limits your options for free agents and extending rookie stars.
View Quote

There are no legitimate starting QBs anywhere near $20M outside of rookie contracts.

Goff at $33.5M is probably the floor. Tannehill checks in at $29.5M, but he's probably out of a job. Below him is Crab Legs at $14M, but he's a bridge QB at best.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Jones contract seems to be the one most heavily influenced by this one. I don't know if his agent is actually asking for $45M or if that's just noise.

There are no legitimate starting QBs anywhere near $20M outside of rookie contracts.

Goff at $33.5M is probably the floor. Tannehill checks in at $29.5M, but he's probably out of a job. Below him is Crab Legs at $14M, but he's a bridge QB at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You’re not making a serious playoff run with a 35M QB unless he’s at the top of the league or on an insane lucky streak like Eli or Flacco.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You’re not making a serious playoff run with a 35M QB unless he’s at the top of the league or on an insane lucky streak like Eli or Flacco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 2023. The salary cap is $225M and climbing. The range of starter QB pay is $35M to $50M. I expect Herbert and Burrow to both comfortably break $50M.

$20M for a veteran starter QB ain't happening.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s very reasonable for a 31 year old QB that’s probably between #10 and #15.  Especially for a FA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's 2023. The salary cap is $225M and climbing. The range of starter QB pay is $35M to $50M. I expect Herbert and Burrow to both comfortably break $50M.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And average QBs making 40+ will continue to not win rings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like Rodgers and Wilson?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

or on an insane lucky streak like Eli or Flacco. *
View Quote
* Or an excellent defense.

49ers very easily could have made the Super Bowl this year with a guy like Carr.

Shit, the Jets very well could have had a chance, although the top-heavy AFC would have definitely made that likelihood lower. They were 4th in the NFL for defensive points per game, but were 29th on offense... They lost SIX games by a single score this season with the 29th worst offense in the NFL and a rotation of quarterbacks. If Carr is enough to get them an extra TD per game, they would have ended up 12-5.

Edit: Shit. For some franchises (Jets and Lions being obvious examples) just MAKING the playoffs is worth the $35M.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Like Rodgers and Wilson?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like Rodgers and Wilson?

I have no idea what happened to Wilson. I always thought he was overrated, but still a solid QB.

Rodgers makes too much money for Green Bay to acquire top end free agent talent.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An above average or better starting QB in their early 30s for $20M a season?  Sure and while you’re at it sign a top 10 WR in his mid 20s for $10M a season and an elite LT in his late 20s for $12M a season.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#38]

I really hope they repeat 2022.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

An above average or better starting QB in their early 30s for $20M a season?  Sure and while you’re at it sign a top 10 WR in his mid 20s for $10M a season and an elite LT in his late 20s for $12M a season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a salary cap world, mid level QBs are not likely to win Super Bowls. Taking market money decreases your chances more.

I realize that as a Dallas fan, you’ve already given up on playoff run hopes, but a lot of other fanbases still want to get to the promised land.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If Stephen A Smith said gravity exists I would push my computer monitor off my desk with full confidence that it would float about the room and remain undamaged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In a salary cap world, mid level QBs are not likely to win Super Bowls. Taking market money decreases your chances more.

I realize that as a Dallas fan, you’ve already given up on playoff run hopes, but a lot of other fanbases still want to get to the promised land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt there is a person here that doesn’t know that paying a 31 year old #10 - #15 QB $20M a season increases your chances of winning a Super Bowl more than paying him $35M would.  It’s also, as others have pointed out, insanely unrealistic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I doubt there is a person here that doesn’t know that paying a 31 year old #10 - #15 QB $20M a season increases your chances of winning a Super Bowl more than paying him $35M would.  It’s also, as others have pointed out, insanely unrealistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady took team friendly deals for a decade and we know the results of that.

Unlikely and rare is different from unrealistic, considering that the strategy resulted in a 30% Super Bowl win rate in this century.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very soon, $40M will be the new $20M for QB contracts.

QB isn't the only position where teams can hit on market inefficiencies, either. It's theoretically easier to do it at QB because you "only" need one guy instead of 2-3, but competitive advantages can be found by hitting surplus value at any premium position. The 2019 49ers did it at DL. The 2021-2022 Bengals owe it to WR as much as they do QB. And the 2022 Chiefs did it at WR/TE and CB.

OT, DE, WR, and CB have all gotten expensive enough that teams can find a competitive edge by finding value at those positions. It's not just QB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Bet Online's odds of future landing spots for Lamar if he doesn't stay in Baltimore:
Falcons +300
Jets +350
Raiders +450
Bucs +500
Patriots +750
Panthers +900
49ers +1200
Commanders +1200
Saints +1200
Titans +1200
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unlikely and rare is different from unrealistic, considering that the strategy resulted in a 30% Super Bowl win rate in this century.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady didn’t squeeze every dime from the Patriots he could, but he also wasn’t giving them a 75% discount either.  That is simply, again, unrealistic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Brady didn’t squeeze every dime from the Patriots he could, but he also wasn’t giving them a 75% discount either.  That is simply, again, unrealistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% discount?

Is that implying that based on my 20M suggestion that 80M is the market rate?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bet Online's odds of future landing spots for Lamar if he doesn't stay in Baltimore:
Falcons +300
Jets +350
Raiders +450
Bucs +500
Patriots +750
Panthers +900
49ers +1200
Commanders +1200
Saints +1200
Titans +1200
View Quote

I think the Falcons should be at the top of this list, but I still think the Panthers are a more likely bidder than they get credit for.

If LJax is going to demand a contract heavy on guarantees, he's going to have to go somewhere with exceptionally wealthy ownership, and Tepper is the 3rd richest owner in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

75% discount?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

75% discount?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Brady didn't squeeze every dime from the Patriots he could, but he also wasn't giving them a 75% discount either.  That is simply, again, unrealistic.
View Quote
In Brady's earlier NE deals (05 thru 2012ish) he basically fell in the top 10 by cap hit every year. He was taking good money, only giving a small discount. Not pushing the envelope.

After they lost to the Ravens in the 2012 playoffs he took a HARD team friendly deal with the idea that the Pats would extend Welker and bring back some people and seek some new people to make another Super Bowl push. This dropped his cap hits to around 15th.

His next extension in 2016 was when people were starting to ask questions about Jimmy taking over (entering his 3rd season on the rookie deal). Many theorize that Brady took another hard team friendly deal to prove himself over Jimmy and again allow for other players to be extended/brought in. Then they won the Super Bowl (28-3). Hi cap hit was even lower than 15th in some of these years.

He then got the final 1 year deal in 2019. It put his cap hit just outside the top 10, but in cash numbers he was inside the top 10 that year.

So after rambling on, back to your post, no, Brady was not taking a 75% discount, but yes he was offering a HUGE discount vs the guys at the top for almost the entire final decade of his time in New England.... HOWEVER, don't hold your breath looking for a quarterback at an elite level to take discounts like that ever again. If that's what you're hoping to find to put your team over the top, you might as well just stop watching football now.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top