Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 647
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bet Online's odds of future landing spots for Lamar if he doesn't stay in Baltimore:
Falcons +300
Jets +350
Raiders +450
Bucs +500
Patriots +750
Panthers +900
49ers +1200
Commanders +1200
Saints +1200
Titans +1200
View Quote

Those are the best kinds of bets for sports books because the public can’t bet on the favorite so if the favorite wins every single bet loses.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bet Online's odds of future landing spots for Lamar if he doesn't stay in Baltimore:
Falcons +300
Jets +350
Raiders +450
Bucs +500
Patriots +750
Panthers +900
49ers +1200
Commanders +1200
Saints +1200
Titans +1200
View Quote

Fuck that.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That would put him at ~QB9. It's Cousins/Goff money.

That seems like fair market value to me.
View Quote

Yep, that's a realistic number for him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Brady's earlier NE deals (05 thru 2012ish) he basically fell in the top 10 by cap hit every year. He was taking good money, only giving a small discount. Not pushing the envelope.

After they lost to the Ravens in the 2012 playoffs he took a HARD team friendly deal with the idea that the Pats would extend Welker and bring back some people and seek some new people to make another Super Bowl push. This dropped his cap hits to around 15th.

His next extension in 2016 was when people were starting to ask questions about Jimmy taking over (entering his 3rd season on the rookie deal). Many theorize that Brady took another hard team friendly deal to prove himself over Jimmy and again allow for other players to be extended/brought in. Then they won the Super Bowl (28-3). Hi cap hit was even lower than 15th in some of these years.

He then got the final 1 year deal in 2019. It put his cap hit just outside the top 10, but in cash numbers he was inside the top 10 that year.

So after rambling on, back to your post, no, Brady was not taking a 75% discount, but yes he was offering a HUGE discount vs the guys at the top for almost the entire final decade of his time in New England.... HOWEVER, don't hold your breath looking for a quarterback at an elite level to take discounts like that ever again. If that's what you're hoping to find to put your team over the top, you might as well just stop watching football now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brady didn't squeeze every dime from the Patriots he could, but he also wasn't giving them a 75% discount either.  That is simply, again, unrealistic.
In Brady's earlier NE deals (05 thru 2012ish) he basically fell in the top 10 by cap hit every year. He was taking good money, only giving a small discount. Not pushing the envelope.

After they lost to the Ravens in the 2012 playoffs he took a HARD team friendly deal with the idea that the Pats would extend Welker and bring back some people and seek some new people to make another Super Bowl push. This dropped his cap hits to around 15th.

His next extension in 2016 was when people were starting to ask questions about Jimmy taking over (entering his 3rd season on the rookie deal). Many theorize that Brady took another hard team friendly deal to prove himself over Jimmy and again allow for other players to be extended/brought in. Then they won the Super Bowl (28-3). Hi cap hit was even lower than 15th in some of these years.

He then got the final 1 year deal in 2019. It put his cap hit just outside the top 10, but in cash numbers he was inside the top 10 that year.

So after rambling on, back to your post, no, Brady was not taking a 75% discount, but yes he was offering a HUGE discount vs the guys at the top for almost the entire final decade of his time in New England.... HOWEVER, don't hold your breath looking for a quarterback at an elite level to take discounts like that ever again. If that's what you're hoping to find to put your team over the top, you might as well just stop watching football now.

Haha, seriously.  “Just draft the GOAT who will marry a woman that makes more money than him encouraging him to sign team friendly contracts over the next 20 years.”

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think the Falcons should be at the top of this list, but I still think the Panthers are a more likely bidder than they get credit for.

If LJax is going to demand a contract heavy on guarantees, he's going to have to go somewhere with exceptionally wealthy ownership, and Tepper is the 3rd richest owner in the NFL.
View Quote

No they shouldn't.

They just finished a season utilizing only 63% of the cap because it was past time to blow up the roster and the ripped the Band-Aid off. Trading picks and taking on a huge cap hit would cripple the rebuild before it even got off the ground. As the team sits right now they need two offseasons with ALL their current resources to field an average unit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
He tried to make a joke at the start of the announcement, but many read it the wrong way.  "will not cash" wasn't a big enough hint lol

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would put him at ~QB9. It's Cousins/Goff money.

That seems like fair market value to me.

I think you could build a playoff caliber team with Carr at about 20 million. 35 limits your options for free agents and extending rookie stars.

An above average or better starting QB in their early 30s for $20M a season?  Sure and while you’re at it sign a top 10 WR in his mid 20s for $10M a season and an elite LT in his late 20s for $12M a season.

In a salary cap world, mid level QBs are not likely to win Super Bowls. Taking market money decreases your chances more.

I realize that as a Dallas fan, you’ve already given up on playoff run hopes, but a lot of other fanbases still want to get to the promised land.

I doubt there is a person here that doesn’t know that paying a 31 year old #10 - #15 QB $20M a season increases your chances of winning a Super Bowl more than paying him $35M would.  It’s also, as others have pointed out, insanely unrealistic.

Brady took team friendly deals for a decade and we know the results of that.

Unlikely and rare is different from unrealistic, considering that the strategy resulted in a 30% Super Bowl win rate in this century.

Brady didn’t squeeze every dime from the Patriots he could, but he also wasn’t giving them a 75% discount either.  That is simply, again, unrealistic.

75% discount?

Is that implying that based on my 20M suggestion that 80M is the market rate?

Quoted:

I think you could build a playoff caliber team with Carr at about 20 million. 35 limits your options for free agents and extending rookie stars.

Okay…
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No they shouldn't.

They just finished a season utilizing only 63% of the cap because it was past time to blow up the roster and the ripped the Band-Aid off. Trading picks and taking on a huge cap hit would cripple the rebuild before it even got off the ground. As the team sits right now they need two offseasons with ALL their current resources to field an average unit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Falcons should be at the top of this list, but I still think the Panthers are a more likely bidder than they get credit for.

If LJax is going to demand a contract heavy on guarantees, he's going to have to go somewhere with exceptionally wealthy ownership, and Tepper is the 3rd richest owner in the NFL.

No they shouldn't.

What you want the Falcons to do, what the Falcons want to do, and what the Falcons should actually do are likely three different things.

Whether you like it or not, there are reasons why the Falcons have the highest odds and why both the general public and the talking heads think the Falcons are the most likely landing spot for LJax.

*Jaws theme plays in the background*

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In a salary cap world, mid level QBs are not likely to win Super Bowls. Taking market money decreases your chances more.

I realize that as a Dallas fan, you've already given up on playoff run hopes, but a lot of other fanbases still want to get to the promised land.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

It's a new year baby and  the Boys are  super bowl bound!  

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]

As expected.

I didn't hear of any Rooney Rule interviews, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I didn't hear of any Rooney Rule interviews, though.
View Quote
For a coordinator position no in-person interviews are required. A virtual interview qualifies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's an interesting exercise:

The general idea is, if you're using a top-6 or so draft pick on a non-QB, you're probably getting negative surplus value out of that player.

Trying to calculate this seems messy. On one hand, I think the surplus value for guys like Nick Bosa or Ja'Marr Chase was definitely there. On the other hand, there are guys like Clelin Ferrell that were bad picks, guys like Andrew Thomas that were slow to develop, and guys like Kyle Pitts that were never a good choice based on positional value.

If you're not taking a QB or a damn good DE/OT, you should almost certainly trade out of the top 6.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And average QBs making 40+ will continue to not win rings.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If Stephen A Smith said gravity exists I would push my computer monitor off my desk with full confidence that it would float about the room and remain undamaged.
View Quote

LMAO

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you're not taking a QB or a damn good DE/OT, you should almost certainly trade out of the top 6.
View Quote
Truth. General rule of thumb, you want a passer, pass rusher or pass defender in the top 10.

Pass defender has the most consistent ROI.
Pass rusher offers the most potential ROI on the defensive side of the ball.
Passer (QB) obviously has the highest potential ROI of any position.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Rashod Bateman just posted a Tweet about ESPN (obviously Lamar related) but then switched his account from public to private, so no longer visible.

It said: "ESPN be actin like shade room, mfs just be GOSSIPN [laughing emoji], talk BALL"
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Via CBS Sports: Agent's Take: Here's the contract Lamar Jackson should consider pursuing, though it's not fully guaranteed
Jackson wants a fully guaranteed deal, but after sizing up all the factors, this type makes the most sense

You can go to the article to read all the BS if you want, but here's the end suggested deal:

Length: 4 Years
Average yearly salary: $52.5 million
Total: $210 million
Overall contract guarantees: $170 million
Fully guaranteed at signing: $150 million
Signing bonus: $85 million
First-year cash: $99 million (47.14%)
First two years cash: $130 million (61.9%)
First three years cash: $170 million (80.95%)

TLDR Explanation:
Makes him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL (annually), surpassing Rodgers.
Gives him a larger signing bonus than Dak Prescott (new largest ever).
$170M total guarantees is 2nd most ever, more than Wilson's current $165M.

So basically, the agent is suggesting that the Ravens make Lamar the highest paid QB (annual average) ever, give him the largest signing bonus ever AND give him the 2nd highest guaranteed money ever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Truth. General rule of thumb, you want a passer, pass rusher or pass defender in the top 10.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With CB contracts over $20M and WR contracts hitting $30M, there's a case to be made for those positions, especially in the #6-10 range.

But I think the margin for error is smaller. The players you hit have to be AWESOME to make it worth it, not just good starters.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Via CBS Sports: Agent's Take: Here's the contract Lamar Jackson should consider pursuing, though it's not fully guaranteed
Jackson wants a fully guaranteed deal, but after sizing up all the factors, this type makes the most sense

You can go to the article to read all the BS if you want, but here's the end suggested deal:

TLDR Explanation:
Makes him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL (annually), surpassing Rodgers.

So basically, the agent is suggesting that the Ravens make Lamar the highest paid QB (annual average) ever, give him the largest signing bonus ever AND give him the 2nd highest guaranteed money ever.
View Quote

And even that probably wouldn’t be enough for Groot.

“Watson get all guaranteed.  Me better than Watson.  Me get all guaranteed.”
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

It's a new year baby and  the Boys are  super bowl bound!  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably why they’re not contenders.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

We'll shit, they only play two every year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we need another "Not Ready for Primetime" chart.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TG44 every time roster construction is discussed: "Brady is the GOAT because he took discounts allowing his teams to have top 10 defenses for 15 of his 20 years in the league, and that's important because defense win championships."

Also TG44 every time the 2022 Chiefs are discussed: "They were favored the whole time. The defense doesn't matter."

The mental gymnastics here are impressive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TLDR Explanation:

I can see dan Snyder making a trade for L Jax and giving him what he wants.

I can also see Bezos, once acquiring the team, do the same thing b/c he'll feel like he has to make a statement once buying the team.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

TG44 every time roster construction is discussed: "Brady is the GOAT because he took discounts allowing his teams to have top 10 defenses for 15 of his 20 years in the league, and that's important because defense win championships."

Also TG44 every time the 2022 Chiefs are discussed: "They were favored the whole time. The defense doesn't matter."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#29]
So what I am hearing is that Carr wants Daniel Jones money....think about that for a minute.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]
This is a name I haven't heard in a while. I didn't even realize he was rostered on the Titans for a handful of weeks in the '22 season. Also, The Seattle Sea Dragons? Really?

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is a name I haven't heard in a while. I didn't even realize he was rostered on the Titans for a handful of weeks in the '22 season. Also, The Seattle Sea Dragons? Really?

View Quote
3 point conversion from the 10 yard line while winning 9-0? What kind of hippity dippity dumb fuckery bullshit is the XFL?

Edit: Also, he has $6.5M in career earnings over the last 11 years (before taxes and agent cut). I imagine it's all gone. Gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

TLDR Explanation:

View Quote

I think Lamar and his contact are a trap.

Lots of teams in the NFL that I hate and I hope one takes the bait.  I hope Russell Wilson continues to perform at trash tier level and we can watch Denver fall skate as they’re stacked to Wilson.

I could be totally wrong of course about Lamar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Here you go, HK:

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

I’m a big fan of constructing good defenses, but I don’t think I spend much bandwidth talking about it.

With regards to the 2022 Chiefs, I don’t think I’m out of line poking fun at how you kept trying to gaslight everybody that they weren’t contenders, in spite of holding the number one seed of the superior conference.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He likes that because Rachel likes Miami.....
But he do what he gotta do
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]

2022 stats when targeted: 57/91 for a 62.6% completion rate, 659 yards, 5 TDs, and an 84.5 passer rating allowed. lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sea Dragons is a badass name for a sports team.

Better than the Sea Hags, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean we can all eye roll making Groot the highest paid, but it's probably going to happen, or atleast come close.

When everybody said Dak wasn't worth $40M+ the thing that was used to argue against it was "What else are you going to do? He's a young talented franchise QB, they aren't going to let him walk & and that's just what you have to pay QB's."

Like somebody in here said, it'll be fun to see things unfold when a team in this situation finally says "No, not worth it."
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

?

I’m a big fan of constructing good defenses, but I don’t think I spend much bandwidth talking about it.

With regards to the 2022 Chiefs, I don’t think I’m out of line poking fun at how you kept trying to gaslight everybody that they weren’t contenders, in spite of holding the number one seed of the superior conference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

This is gaslighting?:

The Chiefs defense was...

#21 in points allowed per drive
#30 in the red zone
#20 in takeaways
Tied for 6th most missed tackles
Tied for 10th most penalized defense
Allowed the most points ever in a Super Bowl win

And just for fun: 10 of their 55 sacks came from Russell Wilson.

Because I'm pretty sure those are real world stats, and they're really bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah....the Chiefs offense and the Pats offenses were so similar that the only difference in their perceived chances of winning were based solely on their defenses.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I mean we can all eye roll making Groot the highest paid, but it's probably going to happen, or atleast come close.

When everybody said Dak wasn't worth $40M+ the thing that was used to argue against it was "What else are you going to do? He's a young talented franchise QB, they aren't going to let him walk & and that's just what you have to pay QB's."

Like somebody in here said, it'll be fun to see things unfold when a team in this situation finally says "No, not worth it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with the Lamar Jackson discourse is everyone seems to hold a really extreme opinion of him. Depending upon who is doing the talking, he's either elite or a trash can.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. He's an elite runner and average passer with some important limitations, but that combination is pretty dangerous in the right situation. If he was in Shanahan's offense, he'd be terrifying.

Is he going to be able to sustain his play until he's 40? Of course not. But he's 26.

The QB situation across the league is pretty rough. Depending upon who you're talking to, there are around 8-10 good QBs in the league right now, and about 6 of them are in one conference. If Jackson goes to the NFC, he's a top-3ish guy in the conference. There's a lot of value in that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

View Quote

That's certainly encouraging.

Still though, even if that wasn't the case I still wouldn't want to sign Dalton Schultz.  I'd much rather have a serviceable TE making peanuts hungry for a new contract than have an above average-good TE you just made one of the three highest paid TEs in the NFL.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

TLDR Explanation:

View Quote

were we talking Lamar earlier too? and about Stephen A and espn? couldn't find the posts but there's a funny video in this tweet.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also Gassbasm: "The Chiefs suck and aren't contenders. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs, but they don't belong there."

(To be fair, Gassbasm said that before KC won the Super Bowl. How was he supposed to know the Chefs would have home field advantage when all they had at the time was the league's best record?)
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Still though, even if that wasn't the case I still wouldn't want to sign Dalton Schultz.  I'd much rather have a serviceable TE making peanuts hungry for a new contract than have an above average-good TE you just made one of the three highest paid TEs in the NFL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

Sure, but I think there are two big caveats here:

1) Depending upon which numbers you look at (guarantees vs fluff etc), most of the good TEs aren't very far apart in pay. If you cut the fluff, most are within $3M or so.

2) TEs are a LOT cheaper than WRs now. With last year's WR market, this years FA class, and this year's draft class, I think some teams are going to be looking at TE as an opportunity to save money vs paying for a guy like Woods or Agholor.

I could be mis-reading this, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Also Gassbasm: "The Chiefs suck and aren't contenders. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs, but they don't belong there."

(To be fair, Gassbasm said that before KC won the Super Bowl. How was he supposed to know the Chefs would have home field advantage when all they had at the time was the league's best record?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spamming the thread with repetitive, low-IQ posts doesn't change the Chiefs defensive statistics.

It also doesn't change the fact that the manner in which the Chiefs won the Super Bowl is unprecedented.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

1) Depending upon which numbers you look at (guarantees vs fluff etc), most of the good TEs aren't very far apart in pay. If you cut the fluff, most are within $3M or so.

2) TEs are a LOT cheaper than WRs now. With last year's WR market, this years FA class, and this year's draft class, I think some teams are going to be looking at TE as an opportunity to save money vs paying for a guy like Woods or Agholor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

Personally I've just never been a big Dalton Schultz fan.  I don't dislike him, but I do think he's overrated.  I suspect people having an inflated opinion of him is mostly due to him having a big game every once in a while which seem to usually come in nationally televised games.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Personally I've just never been a big Dalton Schultz fan.  I don't dislike him, but I do think he's overrated.  I suspect people having an inflated opinion of him is mostly due to him having a big game every once in a while which seem to usually come in nationally televised games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

The stats support your opinion.

ESPN has him at TE #10 by yardage, and he's #65 of all WR/TEs.

The RTM project puts him at TE #15 with an overall score of 45. He has an open score of 64 (pretty good), a catch score of 38 (crap), and a YAC score of 32 (also crap).

For context, Kittle and Kelce both have overall scores in the 70s, and Andrews, Goedert, Njoku, and a guy named Jordan Akins have scores in the 60s.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

He does seem to have clutch moments though. Not like game winning clutchness, but like making a difficult sideline grab on 3rd down when they need a drive.

Hard to put a value on that, but overall I think your assessment is right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He does seem to have clutch moments though. Not like game winning clutchness, but like making a difficult sideline grab on 3rd down when they need a drive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, HK:

I'd agree.  The only reason Schultz looks good is because Dak has him and Lamb to throw to.
Page / 647
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top