Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reba: National Anthem
Andra Day: Lift Every Voice and Sing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEIMP_LXMAAXcPc?format=jpg&name=small
View Quote

In the “spirt of putting our differences aside” the NFL thought it’d be a great idea to have a National Anthem for black people and, the implication being, a National Anthem for white people.

Nothing says “unity” quite like separating people based on their race.  

Maybe next the NFL can order NFL stadiums to have water fountains for black people and water fountains for white people.  That ought to help the “healing.”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
So where is Jackson Mahomes? Isn’t that the name of Pattie Mahomes TikTok dancing brother?

I don’t see him anymore doing his TikTok dances at Chiefs games?  I would think with Taylor Swift being around he couldn’t stay away.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So where is Jackson Mahomes? Isn’t that the name of Pattie Mahomes TikTok dancing brother?

I don’t see him anymore doing his TikTok dances at Chiefs games?  I would think with Taylor Swift being around he couldn’t stay away.
View Quote

The sexual predator is still there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bill is scheduled for a 2nd interview with the Falcons this weekend. Interview will be attended by owner Arthur Blank, CEO Rich McKay and GM Terry Fontenot.
View Quote

I sure wish the Falcons would go in a different direction but it looks like Blank has it stuck in his head that a guy almost as old as he is can get him a SB ring. My concern is Blank will make him an offer he can't refuse but Belichik won't have it in his heart, I believe he would rather be with a legacy team and would consider a Falcon HC job beneath him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m glad you realized I was just fooling about.

But since you want to get serious for a sec…

After McCarthy left having won a Super Bowl as a WC team, the Packers were worse in the postseason with Rodgers.  Back-to-back seasons they had the #1 seed and they went a combined 1-2 going one and done against a team that DIDN’T SCORE AN OFFENSIVE TD.  

You obvious know more about the Packers than I do, but from what I’ve seen, it seems unfair to trash McCarthy for the Packers “only” having one Super Bowl with Rodgers when things got even worse after McCarthy left.  How much of that is on Rodgers himself?  There’s a reason he has that absurd 0-87 (or whatever) record when his team is losing by more than 1 point in the 4th quarter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something something Aaron Rodgers something something 1 SB ring something wasted HoF career

Post-McCarthy, the Packers haven’t won a Super Bowl despite having a first ballot HoF QB and the #1 seed multiple times.

You should be thanking Mike McCarthy that the Packers had even had ONE Super Bowl with A-a-ron.

So in other words, GB hasn’t won a SB in the last 5 years. Big whoop?

The point is…

Notcalifornialegal (not trying to single you out, just pointing out that you posted the post I was commenting toward) can point at the record or player achievements or playoff appearances as positive examples of McCarthy’s coaching, but at the end of the day the reasons the Cowboys should consider firing McCarthy are the same reasons Rodgers/Packers ended up getting the criticism I posted. BG got it right in his post. McCarthy fucks your team over in the dumbest, most improbable, of ways. Every Packer fan in this thread could fill pages of this thread with the dumb shit McCarthy did himself, or that the team did under his coaching. Cowboys fans have an impressive start to their lists as well. IIRC the last plays of their previous two playoff appearances should be near the top of those lists.

For as much good as McCarthy might do for a team, he gets in the way of success just as much.  

You can offer up all the rationalizations and denials you want, but the fact is the Packers won a Super Bowl with McCarthy, he left, and the Packers, despite being in much better positions to win another Super Bowl, couldn’t even win a conference championship.

And yet here you sit, trashing the man that’s the reason your franchise didn’t completely piss away the career of “the most talented QB in NFL history.”

https://quizzicalllama.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/89925-boy-youre-an-ungrateful-jackas-fkks.gif

I know you’re just giving me shit for fun, but to be serious for a sec…

I totally appreciate what he did. You can stick with a coach like that & he’ll keep the team competitive enough that you’ll keep getting opportunities to go win a SB, but he’s just also going to be be part of the problem on why those teams keep stepping on their own dicks. Especially when it counts. Frankly, I think it was luck combined with “freshness” when they made the SB run. All those other times they got close they were one or two lucky breaks from repeating. In some ways that’s just the NFL, but in McCarthy’s case there is plenty of incompetence as well.

After McCarthy left having won a Super Bowl as a WC team, the Packers were worse in the postseason with Rodgers.  Back-to-back seasons they had the #1 seed and they went a combined 1-2 going one and done against a team that DIDN’T SCORE AN OFFENSIVE TD.  

You obvious know more about the Packers than I do, but from what I’ve seen, it seems unfair to trash McCarthy for the Packers “only” having one Super Bowl with Rodgers when things got even worse after McCarthy left.  How much of that is on Rodgers himself?  There’s a reason he has that absurd 0-87 (or whatever) record when his team is losing by more than 1 point in the 4th quarter.

I’m at work so I’ll make this quick.

Does Rodgers share some blame in the lack of SB appearances? Yeah. Does McCarthy? Definitely. Does the front office? For sure.

IMO it’s similar to the “who should get more credit, Brady or Bill” question, except it’s about GB’s failure instead of NE’s success. The truth is Mike gets a sizable chunk of that blame no matter what, we’d really just be arguing over who should take the majority of the blame & by how much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I sure wish the Falcons would go in a different direction but it looks like Blank has it stuck in his head that a guy almost as old as he is can get him a SB ring. My concern is Blank will make him an offer he can't refuse but Belichik won't have it in his heart, I believe he would rather be with a legacy team and would consider a Falcon HC job beneath him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bill is scheduled for a 2nd interview with the Falcons this weekend. Interview will be attended by owner Arthur Blank, CEO Rich McKay and GM Terry Fontenot.

The way the media is acting right now about Belichick kinda reminds me of the way they act when a team signs a big name, on the verge of retirement, formerly-elite player.

Take Julio Jones, for example.  They hype it up as the Eagles signing a 7 time Pro Bowler as if he’s still that guy.  Nevermind he hasn’t had over 500 yards in a season since he left the Falcons.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In Stafford's 12 years with the Lions, they only had four winning seasons, and two of those were 9-7. The other two were 10-6 and 11-5.

In Dak's eight years with the 'Boys, they only had one losing season.

Stafford made three trips to the playoffs with Detroit in 12 seasons, while Dak has made the playoffs five times in eight seasons.

Face it, Dak has enjoyed a much better team situation in Dallas than Stafford ever had in Detroit...and Stafford still is known for winning games Detroit never should have won, while Dak has a reputation for only putting up stats when the game isn't on the line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d argue Suh’s last year was a very talented Detroit team. I’m pretty sure they still had megatron, too.

In Stafford's 12 years with the Lions, they only had four winning seasons, and two of those were 9-7. The other two were 10-6 and 11-5.

Stafford made three trips to the playoffs with Detroit in 12 seasons, while Dak has made the playoffs five times in eight seasons.

Face it, Dak has enjoyed a much better team situation in Dallas than Stafford ever had in Detroit...and Stafford still is known for winning games Detroit never should have won, while Dak has a reputation for only putting up stats when the game isn't on the line.

You’re not wrong, also funny suh’s last game in Detroit was that play off loss to Dallas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sexual predator is still there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_5351_jpeg-3098781.JPG

They must have him on a short leash and mostly out of the picture.

There was even a line about it in this week's Gridiron Heights.

Wild Card Weekend x ‘Mortal Kombat’ | Gridiron Heights | S8 E17

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The way the media is acting right now about Belichick kinda reminds me of the way they act when a team signs a big name, on the verge of retirement, formerly-elite player.

Take Julio Jones, for example.  They hype it up as the Eagles signing a 7 time Pro Bowler as if he’s still that guy.  Nevermind he hasn’t had over 500 yards in a season since he left the Falcons.
View Quote

As someone who was also very confused by the Julio hype, this is a great comparison.

I'd love for Sirianni to get fired. I don't want Bill as a replacement (especially since I think he'd clash hard with Howie Roseman).
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Does Rodgers share some blame in the lack of SB appearances? Yeah. Does McCarthy? Definitely. Does the front office? For sure.

IMO it’s similar to the “who should get more credit, Brady or Bill” question, except it’s about GB’s failure instead of NE’s success. The truth is Mike gets a sizable chunk of that blame no matter what, we’d really just be arguing over who should take the majority of the blame & by how much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something something Aaron Rodgers something something 1 SB ring something wasted HoF career

Post-McCarthy, the Packers haven’t won a Super Bowl despite having a first ballot HoF QB and the #1 seed multiple times.

You should be thanking Mike McCarthy that the Packers had even had ONE Super Bowl with A-a-ron.

The point is…

Notcalifornialegal (not trying to single you out, just pointing out that you posted the post I was commenting toward) can point at the record or player achievements or playoff appearances as positive examples of McCarthy’s coaching, but at the end of the day the reasons the Cowboys should consider firing McCarthy are the same reasons Rodgers/Packers ended up getting the criticism I posted. BG got it right in his post. McCarthy fucks your team over in the dumbest, most improbable, of ways. Every Packer fan in this thread could fill pages of this thread with the dumb shit McCarthy did himself, or that the team did under his coaching. Cowboys fans have an impressive start to their lists as well. IIRC the last plays of their previous two playoff appearances should be near the top of those lists.

For as much good as McCarthy might do for a team, he gets in the way of success just as much.  

You can offer up all the rationalizations and denials you want, but the fact is the Packers won a Super Bowl with McCarthy, he left, and the Packers, despite being in much better positions to win another Super Bowl, couldn’t even win a conference championship.

And yet here you sit, trashing the man that’s the reason your franchise didn’t completely piss away the career of “the most talented QB in NFL history.”

https://quizzicalllama.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/89925-boy-youre-an-ungrateful-jackas-fkks.gif

I totally appreciate what he did. You can stick with a coach like that & he’ll keep the team competitive enough that you’ll keep getting opportunities to go win a SB, but he’s just also going to be be part of the problem on why those teams keep stepping on their own dicks. Especially when it counts. Frankly, I think it was luck combined with “freshness” when they made the SB run. All those other times they got close they were one or two lucky breaks from repeating. In some ways that’s just the NFL, but in McCarthy’s case there is plenty of incompetence as well.

“A HC gets SOME amount of the credit for success.  A QB gets SOME amount of the credit for success.  A HC gets SOME amount of the blame for failure.  A QB gets SOME amount of the blame for failure.”

You’re really going out on a limb with that one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They must have him on a short leash and mostly out of the picture.

There was even a line about it in this week's Gridiron Heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cuyd8LcveM

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyone here actually think Dak will repeat this year???? Well, maybe only repeat a shitty performance in a playoff game......if they make it.
View Quote
I'm not sure he'll repeat this year, but I'm fairly sure he won't repeat the year before last either.

Look at all his seasons throw out the best and worst and that is what I expect from any QB (until father time catches up)
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you removed both teams performance over the years, there's no question Stafford is the better, more talented QB. IMHO, way better. Stafford absolutely won some games single handedly with not much more than CJ on the field.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not sure he'll repeat this year, but I'm fairly sure he won't repeat the year before last either.

Look at all his seasons throw out the best and worst and that is what I expect from any QB (until father time catches up)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone here actually think Dak will repeat this year???? Well, maybe only repeat a shitty performance in a playoff game......if they make it.

Get the hell out of here with your logic and reason. Whenever Dak does something good, it’s an irrelevant “anomaly.”  When Dak does something bad, it proves who he is.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
The problem with Dallas is they could go 17-0 in the regular season next year and i still won't believe they are a playoff contender for the championship until they actually do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The problem with Dallas is they could go 17-0 in the regular season next year and i still won't believe they are a playoff contender for the championship until they actually do it.
View Quote

They could be up 87-0 heading into the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl and I still wouldn’t buy in until the game was official.  I guess MAYBE if they were still up by 87+ at the two minute warning.  MAYBE.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Steelers will LOOK OUTSIDE the organization for a OC.

Not sure who will commit with dumlin having only a year to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dak may be stuck in a lousy organization, but the talent level on his Dallas team has always been better than what Stafford had in Detroit. Those Dallas teams have always underperformed for the amount of talent on the team, whereas Detroit simply didn't have the talent in the first place.

Stafford would win games for Detroit that they had no business winning. Can't say the same for Dak.
View Quote

I agree with your point on levels of talent, Dallas is just a shit organization in other ways. Let me put it this way, Stafford wouldn't have won in Dallas either.  Frankly Brady wouldn't have won in Dallas.

Talent levels aren't everything, as dumb as that sounds

Coming into last Sunday, who would have argued, top to bottom, Dallas wasn't a vastly more talent roster than Green Bay. Yet Green Bay beat Dallas like they were playing a pop Warner team. It was one of the worst, one sided beatings I had ever seen in my 30 plus years of being a Dallas fan.

Yes, San Francisco delivered a substantial beating to Dallas as well this year. Not in Dallas. And I don't think anyone thought Dallas was more talented than San Francisco. The beating the Packers laid down was one that should have been a wakeup call. It was not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

An upcoming article on the subject:

“….. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….”
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remember the Dave Campo years

As I recall, he was coach 3 years, went 5-11,5-11,5-11. That's what it took for Jerry to swallow his ego and hire a leader, after he ran the organization into the ditch. He ain't hiring another Parcells after 12-4,12-5 and 12-5. In his mind, Jerry thinks he is close. He thinks he has the right combination, all it needs is tweaked a little, to get over the hump.

Never mind that as soon as you get to the playoffs, there are no more average, marginal teams. There is only well run, buttoned up leaders of men that get every ounce possible out of their teams.

That's why Dallas got their asses kicked by a team with I would argue, inferior talent. The Packers may have a more talented player here or there, but overall Dallas has much more talent. But, Green Bay is led by a leader. They were buttoned up, ready to play. Dallas acted like they wanted to be anywhere but playing football.
View Quote

Your obsession with Jerry is comical. Winning in the playoffs is hard. Winning super bowls is harder. The cowboys have had like four losing seasons in the past two decades - which is way better than the majority of the teams in the NFL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This seems like a reasonable argument.

But, in four years of Mike McCarthy, the Cowboys have 3 playoff appearances, and they are 1-3 in those games with the sole win being against a dysfunctional NFC South team.

There was one season where his team was riddled by injuries and he gets a pass. The rest? I'm not so sure.

You're down 23-17, there's 14 second on the clock, you're out of timeouts, and you're on your opponent's 40 yard line. What do you call in that situation? Probably not this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9stWVoFGA

And for no reason in particular, here's Zeke's infamous last play as a Cowboy (also in a 1 score situation at the desperate end of a playoff game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOrMdug9tTQ

Does a properly coached team do these things?
View Quote

Have the Ravens enters the chat yet? Same playoff record with LJax and it’s not a coaching/owner problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have the Ravens enters the chat yet? Same playoff record with LJax and it’s not a coaching/owner problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, in four years of Mike McCarthy, the Cowboys have 3 playoff appearances, and they are 1-3 in those games with the sole win being against a dysfunctional NFC South team.

There was one season where his team was riddled by injuries and he gets a pass. The rest? I'm not so sure.

You're down 23-17, there's 14 second on the clock, you're out of timeouts, and you're on your opponent's 40 yard line. What do you call in that situation? Probably not this:

And for no reason in particular, here's Zeke's infamous last play as a Cowboy (also in a 1 score situation at the desperate end of a playoff game):

Go Texans?

Go Texans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the Ravens’ playoff record with Groot is currently even worse.

Not that it matters though because…

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I agree with your point on levels of talent, Dallas is just a shit organization in other ways. Let me put it this way, Stafford wouldn't have won in Dallas either.  Frankly Brady wouldn't have won in Dallas.

Talent levels aren't everything, as dumb as that sounds

Coming into last Sunday, who would have argued, top to bottom, Dallas wasn't a vastly more talent roster than Green Bay. Yet Green Bay beat Dallas like they were playing a pop Warner team. It was one of the worst, one sided beatings I had ever seen in my 30 plus years of being a Dallas fan.

Yes, San Francisco delivered a substantial beating to Dallas as well this year. Not in Dallas. And I don't think anyone thought Dallas was more talented than San Francisco. The beating the Packers laid down was one that should have been a wakeup call. It was not.
View Quote

No arguments from me. Dallas laid a big ol' Texas-sized egg last weekend when there was literally no reason to...other than reputation. They should have outclassed Green Bay across the board, but didn't, and this isn't the first time it's happened (see comment about reputation).

That's why they should have a new coach right now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://y.yarn.co/6cf1b234-7e76-48ff-9294-811a829f2899_text.gif

Go Texans?

Go Texans.

Go Texans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No arguments from me. Dallas laid a big ol' Texas-sized egg last weekend when there was literally no reason to...other than reputation. They should have outclassed Green Bay across the board, but didn't, and this isn't the first time it's happened (see comment about reputation).

View Quote
Something I noticed about Dallas during that game.  Everyone in charge is old.  Jerruh is old, his kids are old, McCarthy is old, Dan Quinn is old.  Who has been giving Dallas fits in the playoffs these last few seasons?  The young bloods like San Francisco (Shanahan), Green Bay (LaFleur). And what were we doing all season?  Praising Dallas for running the West Coast Offense, invented in the 1960s.  And Dallas was running a lot of man coverage on defense. It just felt like the old v. the new scheme-wise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

“….. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black…………. black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….  black……. black………. black…………. black……… black………………….. black ………………………………. black ………………………….. black ………………… black………….”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not capitalized.  dat's racist

Would be funny to see Josh McDaniels go there as OC.  Tomlin hates EVERYTHING about New England.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

“A HC gets SOME amount of the credit for success.  A QB gets SOME amount of the credit for success.  A HC gets SOME amount of the blame for failure.  A QB gets SOME amount of the blame for failure.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is…

Right, that’s obvious to most people. Remember, the whole point of this back & forth was to point out that despite the positives McCarthy can bring to a team, he gets in the way of that teams success more frequently than coaches we consider “better” than him.

Bill the GM might have thought Bill the HC could turn a dogs draft picks into pro-bowlers, but Bill the HC didn’t get in the way of his team’s success. He crafted new & interesting ways to take advantage of the rules & schemes.

Reid might have had his issues in Philly & in KC they had some weird shit happen pre-Mahomes, but now that they have Mahomes Reid isn’t getting in the way of that team’s success. The GM might need to rethink his WR corps, but Andy is getting more out of them than most could.

McCarthy’s team is still falling short in the type of ways that McCarthy teams fall short. It’s clearly not a franchise/player issue. Somehow in the whole “Packers wasted Rodgers HoF career” narrative McCarthy has avoided way more direct blame than he should. Nobody is perfect, but at some point you have to finally recognize that someone is more of a liability than an asset. It took GB far too long to realize that & it appears the Cowboys are saddling up to hit the same ole dusty trail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Something I noticed about Dallas during that game.  Everyone in charge is old.  Jerruh is old, his kids are old, McCarthy is old, Dan Quinn is old.  Who has been giving Dallas fits in the playoffs these last few seasons?  The young bloods like San Francisco (Shanahan), Green Bay (LaFleur). And what were we doing all season?  Praising Dallas for running the West Coast Offense, invented in the 1960s.  And Dallas was running a lot of man coverage on defense. It just felt like the old v. the new scheme-wise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had Kellen Moore running the offense previously & despite whatever opinions are about him he ran a modern offense.

McCarthy’s offense got stale in GB, so you might be on to something, but the West Coast offense is still a relevant scheme today. He just might need fresh eyes on it, which again isn’t a great endorsement for a coach that has been billed previously as an offensive guru.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They had Kellen Moore running the offense previously & despite whatever opinions are about him he ran a modern offense.

McCarthy's offense got stale in GB, so you might be on to something, but the West Coast offense is still a relevant scheme today. He just might need fresh eyes on it, which again isn't a great endorsement for a coach that has been billed previously as an offensive guru.
View Quote
IDK if they still call it the West Coast most places since it completely took over the NFL, but there are definitely newer wrinkles on it.  So many good coaches from the Shanahan coaching tree right now (Shanahan Jr., McVey, McDaniels, LaFleur).  Meanwhile Dallas has their home-grown version of it in Kellen Moore, or their dinosaur version in McCarthy.  

That being said, I think running it back is probably the right decision for Dallas.  If you're not going to run it back, it's probably a total rebuild in you take the young bucks like Diggs, Parsons, and Lamb, trade some older veterans, and build out of the draft.  But this season doesn't really merit such a radical change.  Not that Jerruh would sign onto a long term rebuild anyways at 81 years of age.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IDK if they still call it the West Coast most places since it completely took over the NFL, but there are definitely newer wrinkles on it.  So many good coaches from the Shanahan coaching tree right now (Shanahan Jr., McVey, McDaniels, LaFleur).  Meanwhile Dallas has their home-grown version of it in Kellen Moore, or their dinosaur version in McCarthy.  

That being said, I think running it back is probably the right decision for Dallas.  If you're not going to run it back, it's probably a total rebuild in you take the young bucks like Diggs, Parsons, and Lamb, trade some older veterans, and build out of the draft.  But this season doesn't really merit such a radical change.  Not that Jerruh would sign onto a long term rebuild anyways at 81 years of age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

McCarthy's offense got stale in GB, so you might be on to something, but the West Coast offense is still a relevant scheme today. He just might need fresh eyes on it, which again isn't a great endorsement for a coach that has been billed previously as an offensive guru.

I wouldn’t rebuild…
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't argue with this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Read in a couple of steeler pages that they are over the cap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Right, that’s obvious to most people. Remember, the whole point of this back & forth was to point out that despite the positives McCarthy can bring to a team, he gets in the way of that teams success more frequently than coaches we consider “better” than him.

Bill the GM might have thought Bill the HC could turn a dogs draft picks into pro-bowlers, but Bill the HC didn’t get in the way of his team’s success. He crafted new & interesting ways to take advantage of the rules & schemes.

Reid might have had his issues in Philly & in KC they had some weird shit happen pre-Mahomes, but now that they have Mahomes Reid isn’t getting in the way of that team’s success. The GM might need to rethink his WR corps, but Andy is getting more out of them than most could.

McCarthy’s team is still falling short in the type of ways that McCarthy teams fall short. It’s clearly not a franchise/player issue. Somehow in the whole “Packers wasted Rodgers HoF career” narrative McCarthy has avoided way more direct blame than he should. Nobody is perfect, but at some point you have to finally recognize that someone is more of a liability than an asset. It took GB far too long to realize that & it appears the Cowboys are saddling up to hit the same ole dusty trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is…

The Rodgers-led Packers get WORSE in the postseason after McCarthy leaves, despite being in better positions to succeed, and it’s “clearly not a franchise/player issue.”  The mental gymnastics it takes to come to that conclusion is almost impressive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#36]
“The 60-year-old Mike McCarthy is too old.  The Cowboys should hire the 71-year-old Bill Belichick.”
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm finding it funny how so many in this thread complained about all the Cowboys talk and seemed relieved when they lost because there'd be "no more Cowboys talk", but here we are still talking about the 'boys.

I hope KC gets smoked by the Bills and we can return to talking about football instead of NFL marketing conspiracies and the Cowboys debate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Right, that's obvious to most people. Remember, the whole point of this back & forth was to point out that despite the positives McCarthy can bring to a team, he gets in the way of that teams success more frequently than coaches we consider "better" than him.

Bill the GM might have thought Bill the HC could turn a dogs draft picks into pro-bowlers, but Bill the HC didn't get in the way of his team's success. He crafted new & interesting ways to take advantage of the rules & schemes.

Reid might have had his issues in Philly & in KC they had some weird shit happen pre-Mahomes, but now that they have Mahomes Reid isn't getting in the way of that team's success. The GM might need to rethink his WR corps, but Andy is getting more out of them than most could.

McCarthy's team is still falling short in the type of ways that McCarthy teams fall short. It's clearly not a franchise/player issue. Somehow in the whole "Packers wasted Rodgers HoF career" narrative McCarthy has avoided way more direct blame than he should. Nobody is perfect, but at some point you have to finally recognize that someone is more of a liability than an asset. It took GB far too long to realize that & it appears the Cowboys are saddling up to hit the same ole dusty trail.
View Quote

Exactly. When McCarthy was let go in GB during the season it was beyond obvious he needed to go.

Then he had to take a year off and reinvent himself to somehow show that he was still viable as a HC.

Those last couple of years in GB were not very good and he was so bland you knew which RB was going to be in the game at any given moment because he insisted on the RB rotation between Jones, Williams, and Montgomery. It was the same rotation game after game despite Jones being clearly the best RB and the team was so much better with him playing the majority of the snaps. Funny enough even in 2023 the team is much more dynamic and better when Jones is running well. When we had to rely on Quadzilla the offense was not even close to the same.

And I'm not shitting on the guy. He is a good coach that can get you that 10-12 win seasons but I think that's his upper limit. He's not a guy that can go shape a team to be dominant in all three phases that just shows up week after week kicking ass.

FWIW I have some of the same feelings about MLF. Dude is obviously pretty good at offense but seems to not really put a whole lot of effort or focus on the other two phases of the game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm finding it funny how so many in this thread complained about all the Cowboys talk and seemed relieved when they lost because there'd be "no more Cowboys talk", but here we are still talking about the 'boys.

I hope KC gets smoked by the Bills and we can return to talking about football instead of NFL marketing conspiracies and the Cowboys debate.
View Quote

McCarthy was a long term coach in GB, got a ring, and has a street named after him in GB itself. Lots of GB and Cowboys fans in here relative to other teams so its only natural.

GB fans tried to 'warn' Dallas fans of what to expect with him and so far I think we've been proven mostly correct.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

McCarthy was a long term coach in GB, got a ring, and has a street named after him in GB itself. Lots of GB and Cowboys fans in here relative to other teams so its only natural.

GB fans tried to 'warn' Dallas fans of what to expect with him and so far I think we've been proven mostly correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not excited when McCarthy got hired but I hoped for a better result than Garrett's reign.  It's mostly been more of the same.  The team lacked discipline under Garrett and they still do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

“A team, players, coaches, and/or an owner they claim to despise yet can’t stop discussing.”

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you new here?

The Cowboys probably have the largest group of fans in this thread, they have a devoted hater or two that talks about them more than anything else in football, and we’ve had people get pissed off about the amount of Cowboys/Dak posts we have here in the depths of the offseason in June.

And conspiracy tards are going to conspiracy tard. Those dorks were swearing up and down that the league was rigging the game for the small market Midwestern team long before Taylor Swift came to town.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
honestly, yall had me worried. I've been pleasantly surprised,  the one big thing yall mentioned was time management and boy yall were not kidding.  

I thought we were going to just suck, but he is a decent coach.   Jerry just needs to hire someone to manage the fucking clock for him.  

It's hard to win one Super Bowl, it's even harder to win another.   I don't know if he will eventually get over the hump with Dallas, but I do know this:

We need a hard ass coach like JJ or Tuna, but those type of coaches do not want to humor Jerry's delusion about winning his way.   I don't believe there is a better coach than McCarthy who would take the Cowboys job.   I don't think Jerry wants to try someone who has no head coaching experience, he's in win now mode, so that would rule out taking a chance on one of the young coaches waiting on their shot.

Would I have liked him to test the waters?  Sure, but then if that doesn't work out, McCarthy is a lame duck.  I understand giving him one more year.   I'm not expecting anything different next year, but that has jack and shit to do with McCarthy or Dak. Jerry Jones isn't dead yet.   We aint winning shit till he shuffles off this mortal coil.

The biggest thing Dallas lacks is discipline.   Its hard to enforce discipline as a coach when you know he isn't the final word.  I don't know if McCarthy has the leadership ability to do that, but it wouldn't matter if he did.  As long as Jerry hired yes men, they will have discipline problems imo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After you get done patting yourself on the back, you might be surprised to learn what the Packers’ playoff record was WITH McCarthy versus what it is AFTER McCarthy.

Spoiler:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And conspiracy tards are going to conspiracy tard. Those dorks were swearing up and down that the league was rigging the game for the small market Midwestern team long before Taylor Swift came to town.
View Quote

I have never IRL or in this thread claimed the NFL was rigging games like a WWE script.  If they were, the Cowboys would be in every other Super Bowl.

However, even I have to admit that the NFL assigning Shawn Hochuli to the Chiefs/Bills game, despite his history with both teams, is sus.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How is GB able to continually draft productive QBs?

Make Dak win a SB or sign a contract for minimum NFL wage.

Even the announcers discuss his flaws on how he misses open WRs, makes bad decisions or only sees part of the field.

Lets face it, Dak peaked this year. The only direction goes from here is down and no one knows just how deep is the basement with Dak.

View Quote

They won the division, so they will play division winners next year. Maybe he will get 250yds in the 4th quarter of a bunch of games when they are down by 30. The defense will be facing better opponents as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have never IRL or in this thread claimed the NFL was rigging games like a WWE script.  If they were, the Cowboys would be in every other Super Bowl.

However, even I have to admit that the NFL assigning Shawn Hochuli to the Chiefs/Bills game, despite his history with both teams, is sus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick Mahomes, who has won ~80% of the games he’s played in his career, has also won ~80% of the games officiated by Hochuli. The horror!
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they are playing 2 or 3 teams in their division with losing records twice each season it sure makes both look better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

After you get done patting yourself on the back, you might be surprised to learn what the Packers' playoff record was WITH McCarthy versus what it is AFTER McCarthy.

Spoiler:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After you get done patting yourself on the back, you might be surprised to learn what the Packers' playoff record was WITH McCarthy versus what it is AFTER McCarthy.

Spoiler:

Click To View Spoiler

And?
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top