Page / 557
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't hate Olsen as a commentator, he's better than some others
not looking forward to brady at all
View Quote

Same. But keeping a somewhat open mind that Brady won't be a Dbag on the air.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312684/IMG_5973_jpeg-3112181.JPG

I’ve never been a NFL conspiracy guy here, but it’s hard to argue this wasn’t what the NFL wanted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay walled site. Charley Walters via The Pioneer Press (MN sports coverage).

Reportedly Kirk Cousins (free agent) will be asking in the range of $90M guaranteed for a two-year deal, despite not being fully recovered from his Achilles injury.

Lol.

45 million a year? I bet he gets it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't follow the Eagles so if you say Kellen is a step up, I assume the magic eightball they were using to call offensive plays broke
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not as good a hire as landing Fangio for D coordinator, Moore is still probably a significant step up from what we had last season.

Plus one of the main knocks I have seen against Moore is he gets too cute and does overly complex stuff when simple will do. Our issue last season (and part of it is rooted in Sirianni) was our offense was stupidly simple and predictable. Maybe they counter each other out a bit?

I don't follow the Eagles so if you say Kellen is a step up, I assume the magic eightball they were using to call offensive plays broke

More accurate than you think, given they were so predictable that McCaffrey was able to predict what play we would run while watching at home on his sofa. A magic 8 ball would at least have been unpredictable
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More accurate than you think, given they were so predictable that McCaffrey was able to predict what play we would run while watching at home on his sofa. A magic 8 ball would at least have been unpredictable
View Quote

It was pretty damn sad at the end
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’ve never been a NFL conspiracy guy here, but it’s hard to argue this wasn’t what the NFL wanted.
View Quote

I’m only partially retarded but I didn’t noticed the NFL struggling and needing a boost.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]

From a financial standpoint it doesn’t make sense. There would never be a return on investment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Except he’s not being replaced by Tom Brady the football player who is the undisputed GOAT.  He’s being replaced by Tom Brady the rookie broadcaster.

I remember Phil Simms being PISSED when Romo replaced him despite having zero experience.  It was actually kinda funny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except he’s not being replaced by Tom Brady the football player who is the undisputed GOAT.  He’s being replaced by Tom Brady the rookie broadcaster.

I remember Phil Simms being PISSED when Romo replaced him despite having zero experience.  It was actually kinda funny.

Phil Simms...
Seriously?
Are you comparing the two?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Convenient happenstance.
.IDGAF.
Bri g on the Superbowl.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why not hedge it and walk away with a guarenteed 500?
View Quote

@am6186
I just saw your post. I could actually cash out right now for $483. I’m not going to do it. Going into the playoffs, I thought whoever won the AFC is going to win it all. I still feel that way. Cashing out for $500 really doesn’t mean much to me. I don’t gamble like HK does, I’m sure. I usually do stupid lottery type bets. I’m not going to bet $50 to profit $60. The first half of the season I was doing 16 pick parlays (or however many games were going with the bye week). I’d bet $20 for a chance of $40,000 to $100,000+ depending on the odds. I know the chances of hitting one are extremely small, but it’s for fun. I had several weeks where I went  13-3, or 14-2, unfortunately that pays the same as 0-16. Towards the last half of the season I started doing same game parlays instead.  Usually 10-14 legs. A $20 bet I’d make would typically pay $5,000 to $30,000. Once again, incredibly small chance of hitting one, but it’s for fun. I had three of those that I missed by one pick. If Zach Charbonnet would have ran for less than 52.5 yards in the Seahawks/Cowboys game, I would have won $16,000. He ran for 60. If the Buccaneers wouldn’t have scored a meaningless touchdown against the Lions in the playoffs, I would have won $8,500. Just to be clear, I’d only do one $20 bet per week based on whatever matchup I liked most.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Supposedly tomlin is focusing in on former Atlanta Smith.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Phil Simms...
Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil Simms...
Seriously?

I wasn’t really a fan of Simms or Olsen, but at least when Olsen got replaced by a rookie commentator with no experience, it was after Olson had been doing it for only about 2 or 3 years.  When Simms got replaced by a rookie commentator with no experience, Simms had been doing it for about two decades.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like Cousins, but $45 million a year guaranteed?

Not that many teams desperate are enough for an older vet, coming off a major injury, for basically elite money.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wasn’t really a fan of Simms or Olsen, but at least when Olsen got replaced by a rookie commentator with no experience, it was after Olson had been doing it for only about 2 or 3 years.  When Simms got replaced by a rookie commentator with no experience, Simms had been doing it for about two decades.
View Quote

Sims was pretty bad though. How butthurt was he? I'm not sure being part of the game day panel isn't the better gig.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not that many teams desperate are enough for an older vet, coming off a major injury, for basically elite money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have made similar “no way he’s getting that” comments the past 2 or 3 times Cousins was due for a new contract.

And yet every time…

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sims was pretty bad though. How butthurt was he? I'm not sure being part of the game day panel isn't the better gig.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simms was very butthurt.  Not only was he, a 20 year veteran commentator, getting replaced by a rookie commentator with ZERO experience, but on top of that the rookie commentator was a former Dallas Cowboy.

Simms’ studio gig pays him about $3M a year.

Romo’s announcing gig pays him about $17M a year.

You might not be sure which gig is better, but I am.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Simms was very butthurt.  Not only was he, a 20 year veteran commentator, getting replaced by a rookie commentator with ZERO experience, but on top of that the rookie commentator was a former Dallas Cowboy.

Simms’ studio gig pays him about $3M a year.

Romo’s announcing gig pays him about $17M a year.

You might not be sure which gig is better, but I am.
View Quote

Well they are way overpaying Romo, by like tenfold.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

and now they are going to overpay Brady even more.

Plus, it is not overpaying if he brings in the viewers, and Romo did.  It's how he got that deal.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Plus, it is not overpaying if he brings in the viewers, and Romo did.  It's how he got that deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Romo’s “rookie deal” was up, every network wanted him and he was able to leverage that into the biggest contract for an NFL announcer in history.  

Then you have Brady, with ZERO experience, getting a 10 year/$375M contract.  If he’s bad (and he easily could be), what is FOX going to do with him?  I guess stick him in the studio while he’ll make more than the rest of the panel combined for the next decade.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When Romo's "rookie deal" was up, every network wanted him and he was able to leverage that into the biggest contract for an NFL announcer in history.  

Then you have Brady, with ZERO experience, getting a 10 year/$375M contract.  If he's bad (and he easily could be), what is FOX going to do with him?  I guess stick him in the studio while he'll make more than the rest of the panel combined for the next decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Romo's "rookie deal" was up, every network wanted him and he was able to leverage that into the biggest contract for an NFL announcer in history.  

Then you have Brady, with ZERO experience, getting a 10 year/$375M contract.  If he's bad (and he easily could be), what is FOX going to do with him?  I guess stick him in the studio while he'll make more than the rest of the panel combined for the next decade.

Insane to me they'd pay that much.

Brady career NFL earnings over 23 seasons: $332,962,392

Dude is going to get paid more on a gamble to be on Fox for 10 years
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#21]
HK, what is your opinion of Romo as a broadcaster?

I prefer him and Nantz over any other team, but I'm a homer.   I just never want to hear Aikman or Joe Buck ever again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
HK, what is your opinion of Romo as a broadcaster?

I prefer him and Nantz over any other team, but I'm a homer.   I just never want to hear Aikman or Joe Buck ever again.
View Quote

I find it fascinating how Romo’s career as a broadcaster is almost the exact OPPOSITE of his career as a player.

Early in his playing career, Romo, while playing on shit Cowboys teams, did some dumb things in big monuments, got branded as a “choker,” and the narrative stuck with him throughout his career.  It didn’t matter that Romo was a top 8 - top 5 QB in the 2nd half of his career.  It didn’t matter that he had the highest 4th quarter/OT Passer Rating among all active QBs.  It didn’t matter that he had the most game winning drives among all active QBs.  Hell, Romo had a game in which he put up 48 points of offense, had a 140 Passer Rating, and he still got blamed for the loss when the defense gave up over 50.

And then there is Romo the broadcaster.  Right out of the gate Romo was insightful, had a godlike ability to predict plays, and he always called games like he was a kid on Christmas morning having the time of his life (even during 40-0 blowouts).  No other NFL announcer had ANY of those qualities and Romo had ALL three of them. After just one year into his broadcasting career, people were already calling Romo the GOAT.  Then after a few years, he started to drop off.  He certainly wasn’t bad, but he also wasn’t even close to as good as he use to be when he first started.  And yet the narrative is that he’s still the same announcer he was when he started.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I think it was the 2020 season and Aikman was calling a Bears game. I have no love for the Bears but the dude just straight up torched them like they'd personally insulted him in some way.

I've never heard a game called that way before or since then that was such a personal mission to torch the ENTIRE team the way Aikman did.

Like every play he had something negative to say. This was two seasons after Nick Foles took the Eagles to the SB and won. He was the starting QB for this game on the Bears.

The funny part was that game was against the Saints and the Bears came back to send it to OT where they lost but they were 5-3 at that point. It's not like they were 0-8 or something.

One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen watching MANY NFL games in my life

And I've had zero respect for Aikman as a commentator since that game.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it was the 2020 season and Aikman was calling a Bears game. I have no love for the Bears but the dude just straight up torched them like they'd personally insulted him in some way.

I've never heard a game called that way before or since then that was such a personal mission to torch the ENTIRE team the way Aikman did.

Like every play he had something negative to say. This was two seasons after Nick Foles took the Eagles to the SB and won. He was the starting QB for this game on the Bears.

The funny part was that game was against the Saints and the Bears came back to send it to OT where they lost but they were 5-3 at that point. It's not like they were 0-8 or something.

One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen watching MANY NFL games in my life

View Quote

Haha, I remember that.  People in the thread kept talking about how Aikman was trashing the Bears relentlessly so I actually listened to the broadcast.  Aikman was acting like he was a few hours removed from walking into his bedroom and finding his wife getting gang banged by the entire Bears roster.

Also, both in terms of the eye test and the stats page, the two teams were pretty similar.  And yet Aikman trashed the Bears nonstop while hardly saying anything negative about the Saints.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was that way in the very beginning during his first few Cowboy games he announced.
You could tell he was a bit bitter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nothing changing anytime soon Steeler fans

View Quote

Doubling down on the same ole. I feel bad for Steelers fans.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I'm Rudolph I see that and I tell my agent to get me out of Pittsburgh immediately.  I'm a Steelers fan and this is just a whole lot of WTF!! They will continue to languish and Tomlin will continue to fail.  Great job Rooney.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@am6186
I just saw your post. I could actually cash out right now for $483. I’m not going to do it. Going into the playoffs, I thought whoever won the AFC is going to win it all. I still feel that way. Cashing out for $500 really doesn’t mean much to me. I don’t gamble like HK does, I’m sure. I usually do stupid lottery type bets. I’m not going to bet $50 to profit $60. The first half of the season I was doing 16 pick parlays (or however many games were going with the bye week). I’d bet $20 for a chance of $40,000 to $100,000+ depending on the odds. I know the chances of hitting one are extremely small, but it’s for fun. I had several weeks where I went  13-3, or 14-2, unfortunately that pays the same as 0-16. Towards the last half of the season I started doing same game parlays instead.  Usually 10-14 legs. A $20 bet I’d make would typically pay $5,000 to $30,000. Once again, incredibly small chance of hitting one, but it’s for fun. I had three of those that I missed by one pick. If Zach Charbonnet would have ran for less than 52.5 yards in the Seahawks/Cowboys game, I would have won $16,000. He ran for 60. If the Buccaneers wouldn’t have scored a meaningless touchdown against the Lions in the playoffs, I would have won $8,500. Just to be clear, I’d only do one $20 bet per week based on whatever matchup I liked most.
View Quote

Ah got ya. Yea you bet way differently than me. I put 5 dollars on the moneylines or spreads lol. Good luck to your bet! It'll pay for your whole years worth of bets and then some so sweet!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Romo and Olsen are a step up from guys like Simms and Aikman.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He was that way in the very beginning during his first few Cowboy games he announced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aikman seems like a bitter person in general.  Especially when he calls Cowboys games.  I suspect it is at least partly due to most knowledge Cowboys fans considering Aikman not even one of the three best/most talented Cowboys’ QBs of all time.

He’s also very sensitive.  I remember years ago when someone tweeted some stat comparison between him and Mahomes resulting in Aikman flipping out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Aikman seems like a bitter person in general.  Especially when he calls Cowboys games.  I suspect it is at least partly due to most knowledge Cowboys fans considering Aikman not even one of the three best/most talented Cowboys’ QBs of all time.

He’s also very sensitive.  I remember years ago when someone tweeted some stat comparison between him and Mahomes resulting in Aikman flipping out.
View Quote

It’s good for a laugh…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s good for a laugh…
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/131444/IMG_0119_jpeg-3112585.JPG

“… of MY Super Bowl Titles.”

- Best O-line in NFL history

- NFL all time leading rusher

- First ballot HoF WR

- All Pro TE

- Top 3 defense

- HoF HC

Aikman was an average-ish QB who lucked into the most loaded roster in NFL history.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Just like Romo, I don't think Brady has the personality for that job and will wash out just the same.

Bring Gruden back !!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just like Romo, I don't think Brady has the personality for that job and will wash out just the same.

Bring Gruden back !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bring Gruden back !!!

Wow, so you think that right out of the gate Brady will be insightful, have a godlike ability to predict plays, and will always call games like he is a kid on Christmas morning having the time of his life resulting in Brady being the most in-demand announcer in the NFL?  Personally, I’m not so sure.  The only QBs I ever thought “he’d almost certainly make a great announcer after he retires” are Manning and Romo, but we’ll see.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And then there is Romo the broadcaster.  Right out of the gate Romo was insightful, had a godlike ability to predict plays, and he always called games like he was a kid on Christmas morning having the time of his life (even during 40-0 blowouts).  No other NFL announcer had ANY of those qualities and Romo had ALL three of them. After just one year into his broadcasting career, people were already calling Romo the GOAT.  Then after a few years, he started to drop off.  He certainly wasn’t bad, but he also wasn’t even close to as good as he use to be when he first started.  And yet the narrative is that he’s still the same announcer he was when he started.
View Quote

Thats what I love about Romo. He played in the NFL, and he still gets so excited for the game and plays, as well as calling the plays/schemes and explaining them. I still think hes the best to call a game out of whos currently out there.

And with Brady...the dude was still studying the game, and finding ways to work on his body and mechanics in the off season until he retired. I guarantee he's been preparing and studying to be a broadcaster. Hes too competitive and structured to come in and fail in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All the bitching about this is making me want to root for the Chiefs and see her on screen more.
View Quote
Plus, the relationship is only going to last until Taylor gets in the way of Mahomes warming up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#42]

I don’t think it’s the total amount of time so much as it is WHEN they show her.  If they showed her after a 3 yard rush on 1st and 10 I doubt as many people would care as they do when they immediately show her after TDs.  That is “premium screen time” and most NFL fans want to see the reactions of the people actually playing and coaching the game.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#43]
The Patrick Mahomes era officially began 6 years ago today.

Time flies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Most of the time when I eat at a restaurant I enjoy the usual restaurant things and ignore the tables around me. In that 1% of the time when there's a squealing baby and nobody's doing anything about it, I and everyone else is annoyed by that table.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thats what I love about Romo. He played in the NFL, and he still gets so excited for the game and plays, as well as calling the plays/schemes and explaining them. I still think hes the best to call a game out of whos currently out there.

And with Brady...the dude was still studying the game, and finding ways to work on his body and mechanics in the off season until he retired. I guarantee he's been preparing and studying to be a broadcaster. Hes too competitive and structured to come in and fail in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romo was significantly more excited doing the play-by-play for a cat on the field late in the 4th quarter of a 40-0 blowout than Joe Buck was calling arguably the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

A Cat Enters The Field And Tony Romo Provides Hilarious Commentary! | Dolphins vs. Ravens | NFL

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s the total amount of time so much as it is WHEN they show her.  If they showed her after a 3 yard rush on 1st and 10 I doubt as many people would care as they do when they immediately show her after TDs.  That is “premium screen time” and most NFL fans want to see the reactions of the people actually playing and coaching the game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How dare they show us the most famous person in the world celebrating and having fun instead of an extreme close up of the last player to turn the ball over.

Or Jerry Jones's back.

lol
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How dare they show us the most famous person in the world celebrating and having fun instead of an extreme close up of the last player to turn the ball over.

Or Jerry Jones's back.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Jerry_jones.gif

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Jerry Jones's back.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Jerry_jones.gif

lol

Immediately after TDs, MOST NFL fans would rather see the reactions of the players and coaches instead of Taylor Swift’s reaction.  MOST.  If that doesn’t include you, that’s fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Art II is royally fucking up the Steelers.
Thinks he is like The Chief.

Him and tomlin ruined Pickett.
Plus Pickett is acting like a turd.

Rudolph needs to run.

Cam Heyward is becoming a idiot at the end of his career.

Poor TJ needs to go to a competitive team at this stage of his career.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But really. Who are the SB commentators?
View Quote
SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star and Nate Burleson.
Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top