Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 557
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thoughts on Cowboys at +2000 for 2025 SB? I liked it enough to throw a pair of bonus bets at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Callback to the very first page of this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_5885_jpeg-3113533.JPG

The Super Bowl is THE favorite to win the NFC playing THE favorite to win the AFC.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/65jRkhUA2MIAAAAd/yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif

Thoughts on Cowboys at +2000 for 2025 SB? I liked it enough to throw a pair of bonus bets at it.

vegas vacation kick you in the nuts.wmv

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the argument can be made that Patrick Mahomes was probably the greatest draft pick ever.

The criteria for the argument goes something like this:

1) Did the team properly evaluate the player?

2) How did the team get the player?

3) Did the player produce results?

The argument against a pick like Brady is that nobody, including the New England Patriots, had any idea what they were getting when they drafted him. The Patriots themselves took 6 other guys before Brady in a year they didn't make a 1st round selection. Brady was a Mega Millions jackpot ticket they found in a 7-11 parking lot.

Meanwhile, for Mahomes, the story goes:

1) Brett Veach had a radar lock on Mahomes when he was a freshman at Texas Tech. He knew what Mahomes was when the evals on Mahomes were very controversial. Common narratives were things like "Air Raid QBs can't make it in the NFL," "his footwork/platform are terrible," and "he'll be a Jameis Winston level turnover machine." But Veach and Co knew.

2) In the 2017 NFL draft, the Chiefs had the #27 pick. They had to trade up to get him without other teams knowing they were going after a QB, so they smoke-screened that they were going after a LB. They didn't have the resources to go too high (top 5), but they still had to get up there. The Chiefs traded two 1sts and a 3rd to move up to #10, and got Mahomes without anyone knowing who they were going to take. If they didn't him at #10, Sean Payton and the Saints were taking him at #11. This is Battle of Midway level intel gathering, maneuvering, and luck in the NFL.

3) Yes.

Does anyone else come close to this?
View Quote

I like how your suspiciously specific criteria for “greatest draft pick ever” eliminates Brady from the running so that Mahomes is all that is left.  Just a coincidence, I’m sure.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of it is just racism, since only racism by white people gets called out.  Saw a clip of Skiiiiiiiiiiiip today. Soon as he mentioned wanting to replace Dak, you should have seen the BS from the other two.  

"He a pro bowler."
"Other than Mahomes, who is better?"
"Dak is better than Burrow because Burrow is injured. Also, those times Dak was injured don't count."  
"Burrow had this one close game against the Raiders, otherwise they wouldn't have made that run."
"Other QBs lose big games."
"Allen, Jackson, and Herbert aren't coming to Dallas, so there's no possibility to upgrade."  

I mean, I don't think they should replace Dak either, but these arguments are just
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I like how your suspiciously specific criteria for “greatest draft pick ever” eliminates Brady from the running so that Mahomes is all that is left.  Just a coincidence, I’m sure.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the argument can be made that Patrick Mahomes was probably the greatest draft pick ever.

The argument against a pick like Brady is that nobody, including the New England Patriots, had any idea what they were getting when they drafted him. The Patriots themselves took 6 other guys before Brady in a year they didn't make a 1st round selection. Brady was a Mega Millions jackpot ticket they found in a 7-11 parking lot.

1) Brett Veach had a radar lock on Mahomes when he was a freshman at Texas Tech. He knew what Mahomes was when the evals on Mahomes were very controversial. Common narratives were things like "Air Raid QBs can't make it in the NFL," "his footwork/platform are terrible," and "he'll be a Jameis Winston level turnover machine." But Veach and Co knew.

2) In the 2017 NFL draft, the Chiefs had the #27 pick. They had to trade up to get him without other teams knowing they were going after a QB, so they smoke-screened that they were going after a LB. They didn't have the resources to go too high (top 5), but they still had to get up there. The Chiefs traded two 1sts and a 3rd to move up to #10, and got Mahomes without anyone knowing who they were going to take. If they didn't him at #10, Sean Payton and the Saints were taking him at #11. This is Battle of Midway level intel gathering, maneuvering, and luck in the NFL.

3) Yes.

Is it really that specific?

The Patriots had no meaningful process, effort, or investment into the Brady draft pick, therefore there's nothing to credit the team or front office for.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

3) Yes.

View Quote

Well, the Colts didn't have to trade any capital away and they got Peyton Manning with a pick they already had. He set a bunch of records, too, and played in four Super Bowls, winning two (albeit not necessarily because of him).

John Elway has to be up there, too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Patriots had no meaningful process, effort, or investment into the Brady draft pick, therefore there's nothing to credit the team or front office for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Yes.

And you know this how?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I tried to tell him man. Hopefully you can talk some sense into him
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Yes.

I think it is.

The greatest draft pick ever is the greatest draft pick ever.  There is no eliminating criteria for someone’s opinion.  Just like how there is no eliminating criteria for the greatest QB ever, the greatest team ever, the greatest Super Bowl play ever, the greatest regular season ever, etc.  Sure, opinions vary and some factors count more than others, but there is no elimination of the field based on a criteria.  Especially if that criteria is worded in a way that eliminates the #1 choice many people would have.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, the Colts didn't have to trade any capital away and they got Peyton Manning with a pick they already had. He set a bunch of records, too, and played in four Super Bowls, winning two (albeit not necessarily because of him).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Yes.

The Elway story was apparently pretty wild.

He was drafted by the Baltimore Colts but refused to play for them, so the Colts traded him to Denver in exchange for an OG. As far as a draft selection goes, it's slightly damning that Elway apparently told the Colts he wouldn't play for them in December, and this same draft class included Jim Kelley and some dude named Marino.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you know this how?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Yes.

And you know this how?

Uhh... because he was taken at #199? And the Pats took 6 other dudes before him?

If the Pats had any idea Brady could be a franchise level guy much less an elite QB, they would have taken him a hell of a lot higher.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Elway story was apparently pretty wild.

He was drafted by the Baltimore Colts but refused to play for them, so the Colts traded him to Denver in exchange for an OG. As far as a draft selection goes, it's slightly damning that Elway apparently told the Colts he wouldn't play for them in December, and this same draft class included Jim Kelley and some dude named Marino.

Ellie Manning did the same thing with San Diego. And honestly I don't blame him.

The giants drafted Phillip Rivers. Who was probably the better QB, and who won 2 Super Bowls.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
It's typical of the rat birds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why would you leave the Chiefs to go to the worst franchise in the NFL for anything less than a GM job?
View Quote

I dont know man, but I read they havent been contenders, so that may play into it...

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This post reaks of collinworth...
very... fellatiing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Yes.

This post reaks of collinworth...
very... fellatiing

Attachment Attached File

ETA: in before mjohn gets drunk and start saying Bass and Mahomes and cocks and....
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jason Kelce/ Ryan Fitzpatrick tailgate series... Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of these are pretty good

NFL Memes IG

Jason Kelce/ Ryan Fitzpatrick tailgate series... Yes

In a heart beat. Could be weekly on NFL Network, or Prime, whatever. Id watch the shit out of it
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Still frame looks a lot worse than the video.

Edit: He definitely intentionally put his leg up, but it was closer to Pacheco just running through his foot, than getting kicked.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Boston Globe: Tom Brady Sr. is going to bat for Bill Belichick

"I don't think it's fair what I've seen everybody saying that it's all Tom," said Brady Sr. "Bill is the best coach in football, bar none. The last three or four years of his tenure in New England have been in the dumper. It's too bad."

If you were expecting Tom Brady's father to gloat about Belichick's unseating as Patriots coach, a removal that can be traced to Belichick's decision following the 2019 season to go it alone without the greatest quarterback of all time, that's not how the Bradys roll.

Plus, there is little sense in Gronk-spiking on Belichick's gridiron grave now. Everybody knows that Brady won Tom vs. Time and Brady vs. Belichick. The Hoodie posted three losing seasons in four years and a 29-39 record sans Saint Thomas of San Mateo.

"Bill is tough," said Brady Sr. "He runs a military system. It's a different generation. Bill is a great, great, great coach. But his interpersonal skills are horrible. That's the bottom line."

"How many times has he said - back in '15 or '16 - that he wanted to win without Tommy? When he went without Tommy, he didn't know what he was losing. You're losing more than just a quarterback."

"Ego sometimes gets in the way of things. I think it did with Bill. Now, he's in a situation where he's gotten crucified for the last few years by everybody and a lot of luster has come off his rose."

"Bill loves coaching. But again, I don't know if teams look at Bill - he's 71 now - I don't know that they're going to bend over backward for him, to provide him the full array of control that he wants to have. That's the bottom line."

"He could probably turn up somewhere and find 16 games [to win] in two years or three. But if he's out after that, and the team has reformulated their front office to accommodate his wishes   from their standpoint, I don't know if the magic is worth the accommodations that they have to make."

"He [Kraft] just said, 'I made a mistake.' He told us that back in September," relayed Brady Sr. "We don't all make the right decisions, but he's made a hell of a lot of good ones over the years. But I know that it galls him that Tommy went elsewhere and won. Not that he won, but that he won after Bill said he was done."

Edit: Just looking it up, not sure I ever checked it before, or if we talked about it. In his 3 seasons with Tampa, Tom threw more attempts, more completions, more total yards and more total TDs then any consecutive 3 year stretch he had in New England over his entire career.

Now obviously that is because Tampa needed Tom to do more than New England needed him to do. But, to be told the guy is "done" and then have him proceed to achieve the highest volume stats of his entire career... Probably really sticks in Kraft's craw.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

“I don’t think it’s fair what I’ve seen everybody saying that it’s all Tom,” said Brady Sr.
View Quote

I have not seen or heard anyone say it was all Brady.  Much less “everybody” saying it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Boston Globe: Tom Brady Sr. is going to bat for Bill Belichick

"I don't think it's fair what I've seen everybody saying that it's all Tom," said Brady Sr. "Bill is the best coach in football, bar none. The last three or four years of his tenure in New England have been in the dumper. It's too bad."

If you were expecting Tom Brady's father to gloat about Belichick's unseating as Patriots coach, a removal that can be traced to Belichick's decision following the 2019 season to go it alone without the greatest quarterback of all time, that's not how the Bradys roll.

Plus, there is little sense in Gronk-spiking on Belichick's gridiron grave now. Everybody knows that Brady won Tom vs. Time and Brady vs. Belichick. The Hoodie posted three losing seasons in four years and a 29-39 record sans Saint Thomas of San Mateo.

"Bill is tough," said Brady Sr. "He runs a military system. It's a different generation. Bill is a great, great, great coach. But his interpersonal skills are horrible. That's the bottom line."

"How many times has he said - back in '15 or '16 - that he wanted to win without Tommy? When he went without Tommy, he didn't know what he was losing. You're losing more than just a quarterback."

"Ego sometimes gets in the way of things. I think it did with Bill. Now, he's in a situation where he's gotten crucified for the last few years by everybody and a lot of luster has come off his rose."

"Bill loves coaching. But again, I don't know if teams look at Bill - he's 71 now - I don't know that they're going to bend over backward for him, to provide him the full array of control that he wants to have. That's the bottom line."

"He could probably turn up somewhere and find 16 games [to win] in two years or three. But if he's out after that, and the team has reformulated their front office to accommodate his wishes   from their standpoint, I don't know if the magic is worth the accommodations that they have to make."

"He [Kraft] just said, 'I made a mistake.' He told us that back in September," relayed Brady Sr. "We don't all make the right decisions, but he's made a hell of a lot of good ones over the years. But I know that it galls him that Tommy went elsewhere and won. Not that he won, but that he won after Bill said he was done."

Edit: Just looking it up, not sure I ever checked it before, or if we talked about it. In his 3 seasons with Tampa, Tom threw more attempts, more completions, more total yards and more total TDs then any consecutive 3 year stretch he had in New England over his entire career.

Now obviously that is because Tampa needed Tom to do more than New England needed him to do. But, to be told the guy is "done" and then have him proceed to achieve the highest volume stats of his entire career... Probably really sticks in Kraft's craw.
View Quote

Yep. You just know that in '19 Kraft and Belichick were talking about Brady and Bill put a hard sell on, convincing Kraft that it was the right move to jettison Brady. I'll bet Kraft even told Bill that if he was wrong, there'd be hell to pay.

He wasn't just "wrong," he was really, really wrong. Brady, to my eyes, didn't look any different in Tampa than he did in NE. Same guy. In some instances, he might have been even better, such as with the long ball.

It's kind of lousy as a fan to see Brady retire for good when you believe he wasn't "done" yet. Then again, I think Brady feared "sucking" so bad, that he didn't want to chance it at age 46.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's kind of lousy as a fan to see Brady retire for good when you believe he wasn't "done" yet. Then again, I think Brady feared "sucking" so bad, that he didn't want to chance it at age 46.
View Quote

Brady’s team got blown out by the Cowboys and Brady got significantly outplayed by Dak in the postseason.  THE POSTSEASON.

I think at that point it’s time to hang it up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have not seen or heard anyone say it was all Brady.  Much less “everybody” saying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“I don’t think it’s fair what I’ve seen everybody saying that it’s all Tom,” said Brady Sr.

I think there are about 870 posts in this very thread either directly saying or loosely implying it was all Brady.

There are dozens and dozens of posts with Belichick's record since Brady left, Belichick's career record without Brady, mentions of Brady winning a SB the year he left...
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think there are about 870 posts in this very thread either directly saying or loosely implying it was all Brady.

There are dozens and dozens of posts with Belichick's record since Brady left, Belichick's career record without Brady, mentions of Brady winning a SB the year he left...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't recall seeing a single post saying the Patriots dynasty was all Brady.  I’ve seen posts saying it mostly Brady, the majority of it was Brady, etc.  Not a single one saying it was ALL Brady though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#25]

What, the uncalled holding on Clowney right there?

He his fighting for balance, hardly think he's cleating Pacheko in the chest.

Edited to add "on purpose".
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone heard of this guy?

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then again, I think Brady feared "sucking" so bad, that he didn't want to chance it at age 46.
View Quote
Not everyone gets lucky enough to be bailed out by the rest of their team when they are over the hill/cooked at the end of their careers, ala Peyton Manning. More frequently it ends in either a sudden injury or by getting kicked around between multiple teams, never playing a full season again, hanging on desperately for way too long before being forced into retirement. And that usually happens while they are in their 30's, forget 40's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not everyone gets lucky enough to be bailed out by the rest of their team when they are over the hill/cooked at the end of their careers, ala Peyton Manning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again, I think Brady feared "sucking" so bad, that he didn't want to chance it at age 46.
Not everyone gets lucky enough to be bailed out by the rest of their team when they are over the hill/cooked at the end of their careers, ala Peyton Manning.

BOTH of Manning’s rings came from his teammates winning in spite of him.

For his first, he threw more than twice as many INTs as TDs that postseason.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone heard of this guy?

View Quote

Twitter is unbeaten

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

3) Yes.

View Quote

What a dumb argument.

In terms of value guys like Brady and Purdy destroy the argument. But you choose to ignore them for reasons.

You could argue that the team that drafts a player is far more important than when they were selected.

We get it, Mahomes has been great but if he was drafted last early in his career he would be like Purdy currently or if he went to the Jets he would Zach Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They drafted him. Period. They made that choice. You could argue against UDFA not making the list but you can’t argue against actual picks that were made.

So far Purdy’s floor is the conference championship and he was picked last.

Brady is the GOAT and a sixth rounder.

You could argue Rodgers was a better pick because he didn’t cost an extra first for almost two decades of HOF QB play and the list goes on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Uhh... because he was taken at #199? And the Pats took 6 other dudes before him?

If the Pats had any idea Brady could be a franchise level guy much less an elite QB, they would have taken him a hell of a lot higher.
View Quote

Or they drafted him there because that knew what he was and the rest of league didn’t.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Greatest draft pick is Steelers Joe Green.
View Quote

Charles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"Allen, Jackson, and Herbert aren't coming to Dallas, so there's no possibility to upgrade."  

I mean, I don't think they should replace Dak either, but these arguments are just
View Quote

I agree with that last one.  That is always my first question.   Who are they getting as QB to replace him?

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Anybody going to the Pro Bowl ?

Tickets are dirt cheap and it's really not that far from here. Thinking of going and wearing my Seahawks gear, would it be survivable ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Or they drafted him there because that knew what he was and the rest of league didn’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LO f'ing L.

If they thought Brady was even 25% of the QB he turned out to be, there's no way they'd leave him up for grabs that long.

Why would they do that? So they wouldn't miss out on... *checks PFR*... RB JR Redmond, TE Dave Stachelski, DT Jeff Marriott, and DB Antwan Harris, NONE of which are recorded in PFR has having a SINGLE season as a primary starter?

The question isn't whether or not Brady had the best career we've ever seen or if the Pats got incredible value from the pick. The question is whether or not the Pats did their homework and properly evaluated Brady, and the answer to that, unequivocally, is a very hard no.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Can Caleb Williams do what Mahomes does? Williams thinks so

Caleb Williams believes he can do the things Patrick Mahomes can do?? #shorts #caleb
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree with that last one.  That is always my first question.   Who are they getting as QB to replace him?

View Quote

A random rookie could also lose a home playoff game
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQis57RvTc
View Quote

After 6 years, Mahomes had two Super Bowls and two league MVPs.

After 6 years, I’d be shocked if Williams is even a starting NFL QB.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQis57RvTc
View Quote

My understanding about him is that he is very much a Me/I person. Even his college teammates have said so. He's in for a reality check in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are only a few top qb’s, that is always going to be the way it is.

The league needs to wise up and not give guys like Dak and Cousins the same deals as the absolute top guys.

Their money would be better spent elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anybody going to the Pro Bowl ?

Tickets are dirt cheap and it's really not that far from here. Thinking of going and wearing my Seahawks gear, would it be survivable ?
View Quote

Go!  Have fun and post pictures. Nobody will care what gear you wear.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

After 6 years, Mahomes had two Super Bowls and two league MVPs.

After 6 years, I'd be shocked if Williams is even a starting NFL QB.
View Quote
Jamarcus Russell 2.0
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#45]

The Price is Right Losing Horn - Sound Effect (HD)
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's why I think getting rid of Dak is a bad idea. If you do, it's a total rebuild roll the dice on the draft type of thing.  You don't do that after 12-win seasons.  Now if for some reason you can't pay Dak while taking care of Diggs, Lamb, and Parsons?  That's a different ball game.

FWIW Skiiiiiiiiiip was talking about going to the draft and trying to get the next Mahomes/Allen/Love etc., which is why I thought the response was absurd.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#49]
So Belichick and Vrabel are out of the running for any head coaching jobs.

Wild.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So Belichick and Vrabel are out of the running for any head coaching jobs.

Wild.
View Quote

It's nuttier when you look at some of the guys that did get hired.

Page / 557
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top