User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scrubbed.

Cracks and leaks with this setup? Shocker.
View Quote

Weather. The leaks were from venting gasses finding a channel behind the insulation and escaping that way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh well. Better scrubbed than little bits of pieces in the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Friday window at the earliest.

Waiting for the drive of shame back to the VAB.
View Quote

I'm tempted to sit on the side of 520 and watch the road ragers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
And it’s past 0830 and no launch.
Launch scrubbed for today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Overpressure notice at Starbase today. Probably going to see a booster static fire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Weather. The leaks were from venting gasses finding a channel behind the insulation and escaping that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scrubbed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
i guess the vice president doesnt get her camera face time today  after all.

there's a silver lining

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, probably another year and many more billions before the next launch attempt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were going to let #3 bleed off through the tank.
Oh well, send somebody out there with a monkey wrench and a BFH and fix it !
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scrubbed.

I got the vibe that the venting issue was one they were willing to let ride and then they hit the problem with the Engine 3 conditioning failure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haha, guess we all saw the same info coming out based on the posts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, probably another year and many more billions before the next launch attempt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's still a couple backup launch windows.
https://www.space.com/artemis-1-sls-rocket-moon-launch-what-time
There are two backup launch days in Artemis 1's current flight window: Friday, Sept. 2 and Monday, Sept. 5. Both dates have their own extended launch windows.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
12:47 P.M. Friday for next attempt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Networks sure want us to remember that the first crew to land on the moon in the Artemis 3 phase will be "a person of color and a woman".

I guess NASA better be WOKE if they want to keep their budget.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Haha, guess we all saw the same info coming out based on the posts.
View Quote

No doubt !

LOL
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Next available window 9/2 at 12:48pm Eastern.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Networks sure want us to remember that the first crew to land on the moon in the Artemis 3 phase will be "a person of color and a woman".

View Quote

NASA has been woke since before it became a catch word.
Most NASA employees voted for Obama and Clinton AND Biden.

NASA contractors, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ding ding ding.

Also need those milestones because China would immediately do both of those on their first landing if we neglected too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they did that at Starbase with a stuck valve and it worked. Sent a guy out to the pad with a hammer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you recall the official mission statement of NASA when obola was president?

"In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to 're-inspire children' to study science and math, to 'expand our international relationships,' and to 'reach out to the Muslim world.' Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is 'perhaps foremost,' because it will help Islamic nations 'feel good' about their scientific accomplishments."

"Bolden made the statements during a recent trip to the Middle East.  He told al-Jazeera that in the wake of the president’s speech in Cairo last year, the American space agency is now pursuing 'a new beginning of the relationship between the United States and the Muslim world.' "
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#23]
No more white men with crew cuts!

Meet The Women Behind NASA’s Return To The Moon
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL, I don't see this huge cost overrun getting off the ground before Christmas.

And even if it does, it will blow apart before it reaches escape velocity.

Welcome to the new diverse and woke NASA!

Meanwhile, SpaceX has now 176 launches under their belt at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Aren't those rocket engines like 1950s tech? You would think the would have gotten it pretty solid by now
View Quote

Well older tech but still pretty impressive.  The original high pressure oxidizer turbopump weighed 750 lbs, and put out 50,000 horsepower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bet the part that is leaking was built at Michoud
View Quote

Hey now...
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Just put some flex seal in the woke rocket.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hey now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#29]
A little something to lighten up everyone's week while we wait for Launch Window 2: Nunn-McCurdy Breach Boogaloo.

Tom Lehrer - Wernher von Braun

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VsOnNIZkM
View Quote

Charlie is hot AF
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well older tech but still pretty impressive.  The original high pressure oxidizer turbopump weighed 750 lbs, and put out 50,000 horsepower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aren't those rocket engines like 1950s tech? You would think the would have gotten it pretty solid by now

yeah I am not saying it's doesn't make big thrust, I am just curious as to why they are still having issues
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hey now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now...

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

NASA has a vested interest in making sure their missions are as "problematic" to defund/not fund/cancel as possible...

....hence the "FIRST WOMAN AND PERSON OF COLOR ON THE MOOOOOOON!!!" refrain in every Artemis-related PR statement.  I mean, Congressman Smith wouldn't want to be the guy who opposes sending the first Woman and POC to the MOOOOOOON....would he?

So, yeah, that line gets regurgitated. A lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are they astronauts?  Sure are unfit humans for space flight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I really hope Space X beats them to the moon because all the woke bs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I imagine there are heated arguments within the administration about whether to allow SpaceX to beat them to the moon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I imagine there are heated arguments within the administration about whether to allow SpaceX to beat them to the moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right. I could see them putting peoples lives at risk just to try and get it done.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're probably right. I could see them putting peoples lives at risk just to try and get it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, they’ll just keep SpaceX in regulatory hell to keep Starship behind schedule.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

NASA has a vested interest in making sure their missions are as "problematic" to defund/not fund/cancel as possible...

....hence the "FIRST WOMAN AND PERSON OF COLOR ON THE MOOOOOOON!!!" refrain in every Artemis-related PR statement.  I mean, Congressman Smith wouldn't want to be the guy who opposes sending the first Woman and POC to the MOOOOOOON....would he?
View Quote

It was already done by a bunch of white guys though...

What I don't get is why it's so hard now... I mean if it was done 50 years ago, you'd have thought they already had a perfect working knowledge of it all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Good thing I didn't drive over to watch this morning. Will wait to see when the next attempt is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it because SpaceX doesn't really have anything on the table that has a chance of beating NASA to the moon any time soon.

Starship is going to be flying non-meat cargo for years, probably even through the end of this decade, before anyone even contemplates putting a human on it IMHO.  The only potential exception to that being the lunar lander variant which still requires the SLS to get humans to lunar orbit in the first place.

This is of course my uneducated take but my main premise is that I don't see anyone launching from or returning to Earth on a Starship for a long time and those are essential elements of a human moon mission.  The design of Starship is so novel and risky (for humans) that they've almost ensured that to be the case.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Fuck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What I don't get is why it's so hard now... I mean if it was done 50 years ago, you'd have thought they already had a perfect working knowledge of it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50 years ago they had a larger portion of the federal budget and the engineers were in charge.  US government acquisition culture has since taken over.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I doubt it because SpaceX doesn't really have anything on the table that has a chance of beating NASA to the moon any time soon.

Starship is going to be flying non-meat cargo for years, probably even through the end of this decade, before anyone even contemplates putting a human on it IMHO.  The only potential exception to that being the lunar lander variant which still requires the SLS to get humans to lunar orbit in the first place.

This is of course my uneducated take but my main premise is that I don't see anyone launching from or returning to Earth on a Starship for a long time and those are essential elements of a human moon mission.  The design of Starship is so novel and risky (for humans) that they've almost ensured that to be the case.  

View Quote
Uh, the Human Landing System  (HLS) designed and won the contract for, is designed for Super Heavy not SLS.

In the third phase of its HLS procurement process NASA awarded SpaceX a contract in April 2021 to develop, produce, and demonstrate Starship HLS. A crewed flight will occur as part of the Artemis 3 mission, no earlier than April 2025, after an earlier uncrewed test flight successfully lands on the Moon and returns to NRHO.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so hard now and they are very much standing on the shoulders of both Apollo and the Space Shuttle programs.  They are talking about getting to the surface of the moon within 3 flights on a budget and accompanying political will that nowhere near resembles what NASA had to work with during the Apollo program.

The Apollo program had significantly more baby steps before they actually set a person down on the Lunar surface.  If I understand the history correctly, there were 4 Saturn rocket flights before they sent people around the moon (4, 5, 6, and 7) and another 3 before they actually landed people on it (8, 9, 10) and before all that they killed a few guys during the botched run up to the Apollo 1 attempt.

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Uh, the Human Landing System  (HLS) designed and won the contract for, is designed for Super Heavy not SLS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I know that.  What's your point?  

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I certainly won't denigrate their capabilities as I haven't a clue and know for certain I would never qualify either physically or mentally as a 'rocket person'. Can't help but wonder though, how it's all going to work out if they have a "13" moment or visibility on the lander goes to shit with fuel running out the last 25ft or so.

I'm sure it'll all be fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hey Musk man, over here. You gotta license for that thing? I'm gonna need to see a permit or something. "
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#50]
NASA was forced to postpone its highly anticipated Artemis I mission Monday following a leak in engine 3 that was not detected in the last wet dress rehearsal due to testing being cut short because of a separate hydrogen leak.

The issue was identified around 7:30am ET and the launch was officially scrubbed at 8:35am ET. Now the hundreds of thousands of people who attended the event are heading home without seeing the first stage of the epic moon mission kick off.

Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, told DailyMail.com that if NASA would have conducted the engine 'bleeding' process in the last wet rehearsal the world may have seen Space Launch System (SLS) take off.

'It's one of many engine-related things that happens during the countdown,' McDowell said.

'I am skeptical they will try again on Friday, I think the delay is likely to be longer.'

NASA, which acknowledged the engine was not tested, said it will collect data on the engine bleed and depending on what is gathered, the agency will attempt another launch on Friday at 12:48pm ET.

'We don't launch until it's right,' NASA administrator Bill Nelson said after an engine temperature issue forced liftoff from Kennedy Space Center to be scrubbed.

'This is a very complicated machine,' Nelson said. 'You don't want to light the candle until it's ready to go.'

The Orion capsule, which is uncrewed, houses three test dummies fitted with sensors to measure vibration, cosmic radiation and other conditions. The trio is set to complete the six-week mission that is scheduled to end with the capsule's splashdown in the Pacific in October.

Kamala Harris was also one of the hundreds of thousands of people watching the event in Florida

The leaking engine, along with a crack in the core stage, were identified around 7:30am ET. NASA immediately stopped the clock at T-minus 40 minutes

More
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top