Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard a rumor that FBI cancelled the launch today. something about there being something on the Moon that they don't want the American people to see.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thread title hasn't aged well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Give it enough time, it'll eventually be correct
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Heard a rumor that FBI cancelled the launch today. something about there being something on the Moon that they don't want the American people to see.
View Quote

So... The plot of the movie Apollo 18?

Very muddled and nonsensical movie. That said...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It should say "One Giant Step Backwards!"
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, my daughters name, along with the names of the other young kids in my family are on a flash drive aboard the Artemis
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're probably right. I could see them putting peoples lives at risk just to try and get it done.
View Quote

There was a decent 1978 movie along these lines called Capricorn One
Crap NASA Mars Rocket that went way over budget, shoddy work on the life support systems, coverup, Elliot Gould, James Brolin, OJ Simpson etc...

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There was a movie along these lines called Capricorn I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9yNHIolnM

View Quote

I got to see Capricorn 1 recently. Weird movie, they imply that they thought they could go to Mars with the same hardware they landed on the moon. Has some of the most incredible flying sequences I've ever seen in a movie. There's a chase scene with a crop duster biplane and a pair of helicopters at the end that will rock your socks off!

Back on topic.

NASA's Artemis 1 Rocket Launch Scrubbed Due To Stuck Valve #shorts
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]
See lightning strikes near NASA's Artemis 1 moon rocket
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Has some of the most incredible flying sequences I've ever seen in a movie. There's a chase scene with a crop duster biplane and a pair of helicopters at the end that will rock your socks off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNB54oP7zGk
View Quote

For sure, the flight sequences rock!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Networks sure want us to remember that the first crew to land on the moon in the Artemis 3 phase will be "a person of color and a woman".
I guess NASA better be WOKE if they want to keep their budget.
View Quote

The new criteria for astronauts?  Not intelligence, not physical capability, not military service, not degrees, or background but gender and skin color.  
Kinda like the criteria for supreme court justices and vice presidents!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No more white men with crew cuts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VsOnNIZkM
View Quote

What no bikinis. Fail
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are they astronauts?  Sure are unfit humans for space flight.
View Quote

We are going to need bigger seats in the capsules.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No more white men with crew cuts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VsOnNIZkM
View Quote

Oh My Gosh Look At Her Butt should be playing as they walk along.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh well. Better scrubbed than little bits of pieces in the ocean.
View Quote

Everybody back to the Stargate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Networks sure want us to remember that the first crew to land on the moon in the Artemis 3 phase will be "a person of color and a woman".

View Quote

I'm sure the astronauts that busted their asses to come out on top in qualifications enjoy being reduced to objects of skin color and sex organs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I saw Elon in the crowd, ROFLHAO (H is for his)
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Better set SCE to AUX.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Uh, the Human Landing System  (HLS) designed and won the contract for, is designed for Super Heavy not SLS.

In the third phase of its HLS procurement process NASA awarded SpaceX a contract in April 2021 to develop, produce, and demonstrate Starship HLS. A crewed flight will occur as part of the Artemis 3 mission, no earlier than April 2025, after an earlier uncrewed test flight successfully lands on the Moon and returns to NRHO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it because SpaceX doesn't really have anything on the table that has a chance of beating NASA to the moon any time soon.

Starship is going to be flying non-meat cargo for years, probably even through the end of this decade, before anyone even contemplates putting a human on it IMHO.  The only potential exception to that being the lunar lander variant which still requires the SLS to get humans to lunar orbit in the first place.

This is of course my uneducated take but my main premise is that I don't see anyone launching from or returning to Earth on a Starship for a long time and those are essential elements of a human moon mission.  The design of Starship is so novel and risky (for humans) that they've almost ensured that to be the case.  

Uh, the Human Landing System  (HLS) designed and won the contract for, is designed for Super Heavy not SLS.

In the third phase of its HLS procurement process NASA awarded SpaceX a contract in April 2021 to develop, produce, and demonstrate Starship HLS. A crewed flight will occur as part of the Artemis 3 mission, no earlier than April 2025, after an earlier uncrewed test flight successfully lands on the Moon and returns to NRHO.

"as part of the Artemis 3 mission"...  Starship HLS will be launched to lunar orbit unmanned, and Orion will rendezvous with it, transferring the crew for descent to the surface.  Orion will be launched, from Earth, with the crew, as the final stage of Artemis.  On return, Starship will rendezvous with the Artemis capsule, and the crew will transfer to return to Earth.  Starship HLS is not planned be rated for manned launch from Earth, nor will it be capable of reentry, having no control surfaces or heat shield.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
If they weren't already blocked on Twitter, this would've done it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think I saw Elon in the crowd, ROFLHAO (H is for his)
View Quote

He is in Norway.

Correction, he took off out of Norway about an hour ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#25]
It's very impressive for NASA to go from no Moon program to ready to launch in 5 years!
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

lolwut?

Not sure if serious, or making a joke about the original intended launch date of 2016.  
View Quote

And some of these parts, like the Orion, have been around since 2009 before Obama tanked the program.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

lolwut?

Not sure if serious, or making a joke about the original intended launch date of 2016.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's very impressive for NASA to go from no Moon program to ready to launch in 5 years!

lolwut?

it's a joke, they are using tech from the 60s lol

Also why aren't we putting the first Muslim on the moon? I thought that was Nasa's job also?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And some of these parts, like the Orion, have been around since 2009 before Obama tanked the program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lolwut?

Ares 1x

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]

My wife didn't find that nearly as funny as I did!

She is so guilty of that, and I jokingly chide her about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I doubt it because SpaceX doesn't really have anything on the table that has a chance of beating NASA to the moon any time soon.

Starship is going to be flying non-meat cargo for years, probably even through the end of this decade, before anyone even contemplates putting a human on it IMHO.  The only potential exception to that being the lunar lander variant which still requires the SLS to get humans to lunar orbit in the first place.

This is of course my uneducated take but my main premise is that I don't see anyone launching from or returning to Earth on a Starship for a long time and those are essential elements of a human moon mission.  The design of Starship is so novel and risky (for humans) that they've almost ensured that to be the case.  

View Quote

....but SLS gets meat units stuffed on top of it....on its second flight?

"Man-rating" is in the eye of the beholder.  STS-1 (literally the first time the Shuttle lit off) had two dudes on board.

I've got $5 sez Starship will put a human into LEO before SLS/Orion does.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't been following.  Did they get that turd sandwich off the ground?

And why is NASA even fucking with this stuff?  Why not have Elon do it?

ETA: Am I the only one who thinks this entire program is going to get scrubbed early in its lifecycle?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ETA: Am I the only one who thinks this entire program is going to get scrubbed early in its lifecycle?
View Quote

Did not get off the ground.

NASA even admits its a corporate welfare/make jobs program.

No you're not the only one that thinks this overly expensive/unsustainable program will be/should be scrubbed
as the private sector is in a position to do it better than the government, like most things the government attempts these days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No you're not the only one that thinks this overly expensive/unsustainable program will be/should be scrubbed
as the private sector is in a position to do it better than the government.
View Quote

Yep, really says something when people go on 60 Minutes to directly say this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Best thing they can do is light it up and blow the scuttling charges while it's still on the pad.  Done.

It's like all the parts of the Shuttle program that can kill you (including the cost) married to an Apollo-era capsule.  

...but it does have a touch screen and a USB (1.0) port.  So there's that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"Man-rating" is in the eye of the beholder.  STS-1 (literally the first time the Shuttle lit off) had two dudes on board.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The development approach to SLS and Starship are wildly different.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh well. Better scrubbed than little bits of pieces in the ocean.
View Quote

Glad NASA remembered this today
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Some pictures I took at the first attempt.

Dolphin!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm sure the astronauts that busted their asses to come out on top in qualifications enjoy being reduced to objects of skin color and sex organs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

Good thing they are all astronauts picked from a pool of like 500 well qualified people.

Johnny Kim will be on the moon mark my words.

Johnny Kim (Korean American)

-Joined the navy seals at 18 after 9/11. 100 combat missions with seal team 3. Honorable discharge.

-Got a bachelors in math.

-Got a DOCTORATE IN MEDICINE FROM HARVARD.

-gets admitted into astronaut core.

Poor Artemis astronauts. I think there is like 30 in hat class.

Dudes we gonna launch like 4 every two years lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

as the private sector is in a position to do it better than the government, like most things the government attempts these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When starship gets a lunar return rated crew dragon then cancel SLS.

As it is starship will not be crew rated for earth return for a long long time.  

After a few splodey bois customers will need to see soemthing crazy like 40 landings in a row flawless before NASA/FAA feels comfortable.

The kicker is starship needs 99.9% reliability. But even F9 boosters aren’t that reliable at a much much easier job.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It was already done by a bunch of white guys though...

What I don't get is why it's so hard now... I mean if it was done 50 years ago, you'd have thought they already had a perfect working knowledge of it all.
View Quote

LOL, You pretty much answered your question in the first sentence.  I would spell it out plainly, but COC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
So manyjackasses and a few racists in this thread that shouldnt be.  I get it, you dont understand spaceflight and are just fanboys of one thing or the other. Or you inject politics into everything because thats all you are anymore. Then you imply no one but whitey can do it.

Yes, SLS started life without a mission and was over funded at the start and underfunded thereafter.  Trump changed the mission part at least.
Yes, the POC and female thing is cringe af but do you honestly think the the people actually making choices at NASA arent running a proper astronaut selection process?

Other than that, if youre just going to bitch and complain about the rocket.. get the fuck out and go shit in a different thread.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So manyjackasses and a few racists in this thread that shouldnt be.  I get it, you dont understand spaceflight and are just fanboys of one thing or the other. Or you inject politics into everything because thats all you are anymore. Then you imply no one but whitey can do it.

Yes, SLS started life without a mission and was over funded at the start and underfunded thereafter.  Trump changed the mission part at least.
Yes, the POC and female thing is cringe af but do you honestly think the the people actually making choices at NASA arent running a proper astronaut selection process?

Other than that, if youre just going to bitch and complain about the rocket.. get the fuck out and go shit in a different thread.
View Quote

The woman thing/POC shit can be a little annoying since thy are out right saying. NO! A woman will land on the moon and a minority will too!!! No matter what.

But now it can be used against cancellation against congress. It can and will be used as a diversity gold star against Russia and china and any that come after us.

We will close the door on first woman on the moon etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Then you imply no one but whitey can do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Then you imply no one but whitey can do it.

Stop projecting your own racism on others. Nobody has implied anything of the sort.

Seriously?

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#49]
so, what do you fellas think?

Is this fixable on-pad or is it gonna have to go back to the VAB?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
so, what do you fellas think?

Is this fixable on-pad or is it gonna have to go back to the VAB?
View Quote

We should find that out sometime today. If they think they have it sorted out they would probably have to do another WDR to make sure. Just not sure if they can pull that off by Friday.
I'm thinking if they do get it fixed, it will probably be Monday the 5th for the second launch attempt.

If not, back to the garage.
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top