Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Every time I see the this rocket, it reminds me of the scene from the Brady Bunch movie where Mike's latest design is just the same design as his house.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
There's still a very real and distinct possibility that SS makes orbit before SLS/Orion.

Which is truly sad, all in all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And some of these parts, like the Orion, have been around since 2009 before Obama tanked the program.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lolwut?

Not sure if serious, or making a joke about the original intended launch date of 2016.  

And some of these parts, like the Orion, have been around since 2009 before Obama tanked the program.

I think they are also using booster parts from the shuttle program that are 20 years old. This is like a modern remake of Salvage 1 with a ton graft thrown in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

The oldest engine, engine no. 2045, first flew in 1998 and has flown on 13 shuttle flights.

The aft skirt on one of the boosters first flew in 1984.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbVchBgUcAEZTNL?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbVdan_VUAEhmr9?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Some actual technical content.
thanks Chokey.

What is circled above is the control. Would closing E1, E2, and E4 increase the E3 control pressure or the bleed press through E3?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Do I remember right that the tanks on the SLS can only be pressurized a set number of times before they get concerned about integrity?

I seem to remember that being a reason they did not do as many test loads of the tankage before the big show.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do I remember right that the tanks on the SLS can only be pressurized a set number of times before they get concerned about integrity?

I seem to remember that being a reason they did not do as many test loads of the tankage before the big show.
View Quote

There is. It isn't a drop dead scrap the tank thing that everyone makes it out to be though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC they pressurized the LH2 tank to 260% of its maximum expected pressure before it popped. Don't know what that means for number of cycles but I'd bet it's still ok.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The oldest engine, engine no. 2045, first flew in 1998 and has flown on 13 shuttle flights.

View Quote

Holy shit, really?

Did they at least change the polymeric seals and shit?

lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Is this bitch the heaviest lifter of all time?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Holy shit, really?

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit, really?

lol

The aft skirt doesn't attach the same way that the segments go together.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The aft skirt doesn't attach the same way that the segments go together.
View Quote

Ah.  I didn't realize we were talking about a skirt (despite it being obvious).  There's not much going on in that assembly, it's mainly structure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is. It isn't a drop dead scrap the tank thing that everyone makes it out to be though.
View Quote

Some hand wringing and a few signatures and they can run a few more press/depress cycles
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ah.  I didn't realize we were talking about a skirt (despite it being obvious).  There's not much going on in that assembly, it's mainly structure.
View Quote

More stuff than most people think in there.
The Rock and Tilt thrust vector systems are in there so a couple APUs running hydraulic pumps, the whole hypers system and hydraulic system for those and some computers and both R&T actuators for the nozzle all inside and the 4 booster sep motors mounted on the outside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
So do I understand this right.

Engineers close a valve on 2 of the 3 engines to raise pressure on that circuit, they the other engine's valve open, so they think there is a leak because the pressure is lower on that one engine compared to the other 2?

Also, they reused a lot of stuff from other space programs?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Engineers close a valve on 2 of the 3 engines to raise pressure on that circuit, they the other engine's valve open, so they think there is a leak because the pressure is lower on that one engine compared to the other 2?

View Quote

Engineers closed the bleed valves on E1, E2, and E4 because there was low or no flow through E3 bleed system.

The boosters have flown.
The RS25s have flown but have new computers and maybe a few other new parts in there too.
The RS25 thrust vector actuators in the core stage have flown.
And I think the Orion Service Module has an flown OMS engine in it but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some hand wringing and a few signatures and they can run a few more press/depress cycles
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think they are also using booster parts from the shuttle program that are 20 years old. This is like a modern remake of Salvage 1 with a ton graft thrown in.
View Quote

SLS uses lots of old junk and its still 4.5 billion per launch and non-reusable !

Fred and Lamont would be proud!

Never thought I'd see the day that so many Arfcommers would be drooling over an Obama corporate welfare/jobs program!

https://www.space.com/35394-president-obama-spaceflight-exploration-legacy.html

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SLS uses lots of old junk and its still 4.5 billion per launch and non-reusable !

https://americanprofile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sanford-and-son-ford-truck-670x405.jpg

Never thought I'd see the day that so many Arfcommers would be drooling over an Obama corporate welfare/jobs program!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://americanprofile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sanford-and-son-ford-truck-670x405.jpg

It really started under Bush 2 with Ares/Constellation. SLS is the phoenix that rose [sic] from those ashes.

Augustine's Law XXV: A revised schedule is to business what a new season is to an athlete or a new canvas to an artist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#22]
The current plan is for Starship and NASA's hardware to work together to get to the moon.

That said, blending this hardware together is going to look a little... Odd.

The Artemis Gateway and SpaceX's Human Landing System: The Race for Return to the Moon
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The development approach to SLS and Starship are wildly different.  

View Quote

Thank goodness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because at the moment, unfortunately, it's all we got in terms of getting humans beyond orbit.

Hopefully Starship too eventually but they've still got lots of work to do.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya, Obama came down here to visit once and it wasn't to visit the shuttle or constellation guys.

Attachment Attached File

Nothing but let's go Brandon stickers on hard hats and cars in the areas I go to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was at KSC again 2 months ago. The bus you're forced to ride to see the Saturn V had a video playing and all it talked about was Artemis and the first African American & women on the moon. They didn't show anything else but that, because apparently that's all they care about.
View Quote

At the rate the Artemis program is moving, Elon will crew his own moon landing with a Starship and get an African American Woman on the moon first, I hope she's his cousin.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ya, Obama came down here to visit once and it wasn't to visit the shuttle or constellation guys.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/ObamaMusk_NASA02-493x485_jpg-2508413.JPG

Nothing but let's go Brandon stickers on hard hats and cars in the areas I go to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/ObamaMusk_NASA02-493x485_jpg-2508413.JPG

Wasn't that when FBO came to address NASA employees outside and it was nothing but bussed in outsiders surrounded by those busses with security ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wasn't that when FBO came to address NASA employees outside and it was nothing but bussed in outsiders surrounded by those busses with security ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Center director, some NASA big heads and a bunch of bussed in guests wearing lab coats that no one out here uses lol

Edit for correction it was in the O&C building HI bay, not outside but still the same, yes that was the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I believe Falcon Heavy COULD be used to get humans beyond orbit, but there are currently no plans for it.
View Quote

Yeah. Zubrin and the Mars Society were flogging a Lunar Return architecture built around Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy (plus a Lunar-ized Dragon 2 and de novo Lander), but SpaceX had already moved on to the Starship (ITS, at that point).
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#32]
The Angry Astronaut!

Artemis 1 scrub and the arrogance of people like Dr. Derrick Pitts!
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#33]
SLS can still only boost 23 tons into space while Apollo in the 1960's could boost 51 tons. Recycled R25's aren't going to get it done if you have to boost 10 times to the space station to drop shit off for ferrying to the moon later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
SLS can still only boost 23 tons into space while Apollo in the 1960's could boost 51 tons. Recycled R25's aren't going to get it done if you have to boost 10 times to the space station to drop shit off for ferrying to the moon later.
View Quote

It's why we need to build the Sea Dragon.

The Biggest Rocket ever Designed? - The Sea Dragon
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

LoL
That was like listening to an angry sauced up grandpa raging in the corner like a self made expert. He doesn't know the hardware but has a soap box. The haters will latch on and beat the war drums surely.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Engineers closed the bleed valves on E1, E2, and E4 because there was low or no flow through E3 bleed system.

The boosters have flown.
The RS25s have flown but have new computers and maybe a few other new parts in there too.
And I think the Orion Service Module has an flown OMS engine in it but I'm not sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The boosters have flown.

Good job on making what you have on hand work
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thank goodness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The development approach to SLS and Starship are wildly different.  

Thank goodness.

Yeah the whole Jobs program aspect of NASA doesn't lend itself to making stuff quickly.

I can just about imagine the management clusterfuck that you get having all these different sections working together across the country
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LoL
That was like listening to an angry sauced up grandpa raging in the corner like a self made expert. He doesn't know the hardware but has a soap box. The haters will latch on and beat the war drums surely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LoL

I think he is a AeroSpace engineer
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is this bitch the heaviest lifter of all time?
View Quote

If it launches before starship it will have the most first stage thrust than any rocket ever.

So most powerful rocket ever….until starship.

Saturn V was built from the ground up to lift the most tonnage into orbit. So Saturn V could. Get 140tons to orbit. That’s probably more than SLS will ever get to orbit. Because SLS has inefficient underpowered upper stages to ‘save money.’

So SLS most to orbit? Nope. And never will be.

Most powerful first stage? yes…….until starship.

So it will be pretty metal to see it blast off and it is super historical.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro legit Obama canceled the whole Ares program as a useless pork project.

This is the era when “Muslim outreach” PR nightmare became a big thing.

The swamp literally moved against Obama and got Ares renamed SLS and Obama caved.

If anything SLS is more a southern state jobs program started by bush for the swamp way more than it’s an Obama thing.

Lori Garver just released a great book calling the swamp and NASA out on it and she is a FLAMING liberal.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The boosters have flown.

They had to reuse because the mulitiple billions they were given for the program still weren't enough to pay bigspace to do more than rehab leftovers.

I thought after the roll out to the pad they did engine chill testing already, so is this something they've done before and it just doesn't work anymore or is this a first time for the valves, pipes, and engines working together?

Maybe I'm thinking of tank fueling tests done on the pad?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Starship makes the Sea Dragon concept obsolete.
View Quote

Would still love to see that single engine light.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be watching.  
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top