View Quote
Free beer tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SLS can still only boost 23 tons into space while Apollo in the 1960's could boost 51 tons. Recycled R25's aren't going to get it done if you have to boost 10 times to the space station to drop shit off for ferrying to the moon later.
View Quote

SLS can at the least move 100 tons to orbit. Early Saturn V could move roughly the same.  The biggest issue is the ICPS which will be replaced by EUS.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally changed the title, eh?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
press teleconference about the launch attempt.

Artemis I update: NASA teleconference on Artemis I launch plans

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not sure if this was mentioned in the press conference, but I read a story today that said NASA now believes it might have been a faculty sensor, and that all of their other data suggested the engine might actually have been at the correct temperature.

So apparently now what they are considering (since they cannot replace the sensor without rolling it back to the VAB), is to basically IGNORE data that tells them not to launch, and just go ahead and launch anyway - based on all of the other data (pressure, flow, etc) which would allow them to infer (extrapolate? interpolate?)  that the temperature is different from what the sensor is telling them.

That seems risky.  

... and also probably demonstrates why they SHOULD have run a full wet dress rehearsal earlier this year, instead of cutting corners like they did.
View Quote
I would NOT want to be the one to sign off on doing that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure if this was mentioned in the press conference, but I read a story today that said NASA now believes it might have been a faculty sensor, and that all of their other data suggested the engine might actually have been at the correct temperature.

So apparently now what they are considering (since they cannot replace the sensor without rolling it back to the VAB), is to basically IGNORE data that tells them not to launch, and just go ahead and launch anyway - based on all of the other data (pressure, flow, etc) which would allow them to infer (extrapolate? interpolate?)  that the temperature is different from what the sensor is telling them.

That seems risky.  

... and also probably demonstrates why they SHOULD have run a full wet dress rehearsal earlier this year, instead of cutting corners like they did.
View Quote

Taking a page from Starship development?

"I think we have a bad sensor on one of the engines."

"Eh, screw it. Send it!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Eh, screw it. Send it!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems risky.  

"Eh, screw it. Send it!"

Yeah, but Starships don't cost $4 Billion per launch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SLS can at the least move 100 tons to orbit. Early Saturn V could move roughly the same.  The biggest issue is the ICPS which will be replaced by EUS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SLS can still only boost 23 tons into space while Apollo in the 1960's could boost 51 tons. Recycled R25's aren't going to get it done if you have to boost 10 times to the space station to drop shit off for ferrying to the moon later.

There's a difference between mass to orbit or mass to the moon.
I think the Block 1 can do 95t to LEO and 27 to the moon. Block 2 will be 130t and 46t.
IIRC the Saturn was 155t and 47t but part of that 155t was the 3rd stage. That's per Wikipedia.
So Block 2 SLS will be pretty comparable.

Also I think the shuttle technically had over 100t of payload capability, but most of that was taken up by the orbiter itself.

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That seems risky.  

View Quote

The information released in the press conference was that target temp was -420f and that E1, E2 and E4 got down to  -410 and E3 was at -380.  That is 380 degrees below zero. It ain't getting that cold if it's not flowing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That seems risky.  

View Quote

I'll be honest. I know it's billions of our tax dollars, but I wouldn't mind if this uncrewed version had a RUD.

Typically I'd be worried that it would set space travel back, but Starship is happening with or without SLS, so why not give us the fireworks?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll be honest. I know it's billions of our tax dollars, but I wouldn't mind if this uncrewed version had a RUD.

Typically I'd be worried that it would set space travel back, but Starship is happening with or without SLS, so why not give us the fireworks?
View Quote

Because that's not the way that NASA has done business in the past. When a rocket explodes everyone is supposed to stand around with anxious expressions on their face. Not say, "oh well. That's part of the risk of doing business. Onto the next prototype!"

4 Billion bucks worth of rocket going bang is almost certainly going to result in a congressional hearing or 2.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My daughter's boarding pass came in

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better chance weather wise for Saturday, the thunderstorms seem to be ramping up more in the later hours of the afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

He was the first one I saw publicly hinting at a scrub on Monday so I'm thinking there's some truth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That seems risky.  

View Quote
They changed the loading procedure from the one used in the Green Run.  Further the sensor that was giving them issues was one that WILL NOT be on the operational missions.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The FIRST test of all five F-1 Engines in 1965

The FIRST test of all five F-1 Engines in 1965!
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He was the first one I saw publicly hinting at a scrub on Monday so I'm thinking there's some truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also loves recycling his 'Orange Rocket Bad' articles when things dont go the way he wants. Hes a shitty journalist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That seems risky.  

View Quote

I bet SpaceX would have 2 sensors there if they are that important.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Phun Fact

Nasa's Michoud Facility has 4200 employees
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Phun Fact

Nasa's Michoud Facility has 4200 employees
View Quote

Does that include all of the FDA people that are occupying all of the office space?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He also loves recycling his 'Orange Rocket Bad' articles when things dont go the way he wants. Hes a shitty journalist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...who's basically one of the most pre-eminent journalist in the entire spaceflight domain.

Eric isn't exactly the only one in the room who thinks SLS is a historically epic boondoggle, throwing away taxpayers dollars to produce too little, too late. Half the industry is getting paid by SLS in one form or another, and just can't publicly badmouth it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Does that include all of the FDA people that are occupying all of the office space?
View Quote

Ouch !!!

LOL
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Local news on at 6 last night stating to expect 400,000 people to flock here tomorrow for the launch attempt. They 'estimated' that the number of people that showed up for the Monday attempt was 150,000.
It took 6 hours to clear everybody out on Monday.

I think they will light the candle on time tomorrow and I'll be watching and recording it from home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

...who's basically one of the most pre-eminent journalist in the entire spaceflight domain.

Eric isn't exactly the only one in the room who thinks SLS is a historically epic boondoggle, throwing away taxpayers dollars to produce too little, too late. Half the industry is getting paid by SLS in one form or another, and just can't publicly badmouth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy us an opinionated asshole that uses his pedestal to drum up the hate. Perfect example is the tweet from him posted further up the page. He couldn't have been further from the truth. MMT saw through his stupid gotcha questions last night.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The guy us an opinionated asshole that uses his pedestal to drum up the hate. Perfect example is the tweet from him posted further up the page. He couldn't have been further from the truth. MMT saw through his stupid gotcha questions last night.
View Quote

He’s the only one who said Artemis 1 wouldn’t be till the end of summer.

NASA and everyone else said he was dumb.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He's the only one who said Artemis 1 wouldn't be till the end of summer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's the only one who said Artemis 1 wouldn't be till the end of summer.

But...which summer? . I think the original launch date was 2018.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He’s the only one who said Artemis 1 wouldn’t be till the end of summer.

View Quote

Ya, so? When he's wrong do you see anyone calling him out on it? It's all for the immediate reaction.
His tweets last night posted above is an example he just throws shit at the wall.

Eta
He likes what I like and he doesn't like what I don't like doesn't make someone a good journalist.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#34]
My kid is at Embry -Riddle- Daytona Beach and he'll be heading down for the launch. I wish I could have seen it with him last week but as long as he experiences it up close I'm sure it'll go a long way to keep him motivated for school
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I've posted this before. The inflection point was the CBS show 60 Minutes. That's when the network bean counters realized "news" could be a profit center and not a cost center.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#38]
The Ultimate Saturn V Launch Video with INCREDIBLE SOUND!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sadly that's what "journalism" is turning into these days.  People no longer want news and facts, they just want to hear "journalists" who agree with them, and have the same opinions and beliefs as them.

It's been a growing trend now for about 20 years, and it has gotten MUCH worse over the past five or six years, IMO.  
View Quote

Who told you that? CNN?

I want the facts, just the facts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#40]
everyday astronaut and Nasaspaceflight stream are up.

NSF steam
SCRUB: NASA Scrubs Launch of Artemis I to the Moon Aboard SLS

Definitely going to space today bruh’s. Definitely probably.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#41]
more hydrogen leak issues
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#42]
In for another moist dress rehearsal…
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Hit the explosive charges, that will fix all the problems with Artemi$.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've posted this before. The inflection point was the CBS show 60 Minutes. That's when the network bean counters realized "news" could be a profit center and not a cost center.
View Quote

I saw the PBS Newshour do some reporting on SLS the other day.

A news organization heavily biased towards big government solutions to everything and they seemed very critical of SLS and cost plus contracts in general. I believe the words 'gold plated rocket' were said at some point. Sounds like they wanted to say, 'gold plated piece of crap.'

Years late and billions over budget, NASA’s most powerful rocket finally set for takeoff

The gold plated line and some comments about natural selection come in the last 22 seconds of this.

Bill Nelson seems to have all the right connections. He really comes across as a guy I would barely trust to run an ice cream truck. Never mind NASA!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#45]
SCRUB: Artemis 1 SLS launch delayed by hydrogen leak [4K UHD]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#46]
SCRUB: NASA Scrubs Launch of Artemis I to the Moon Aboard SLS
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A news organization heavily biased towards big government solutions to everything and they seemed very critical of SLS and cost plus contracts in general. I believe the words 'gold plated rocket' were said at some point. Sounds like they wanted to say, 'gold plated piece of crap.'

Bill Nelson seems to have all the right connections. He really comes across as a guy I would barely trust to run an ice cream truck. Never mind NASA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So with cost-plus contracts, you have to ride the contractor's ass with experienced personnel watching every move to ensure they're not billing you for a gold-plated rocket. Most government offices do not have such experienced personnel, or can be ground down into accepting such bills, or the contractor has much better lawyers, so the contractor can charge more than performance should actually cost.

With fixed-price contracts, the contractor bids for two gold-plated rockets because that's all the money they're ever going to get and they must worry about every little risk that might occur during the entire contract. So they absolutely are going to charge you out the ass on a fixed price contract, but you know up front how much they're going to rape you.

But the government doing it in-house? Never going to happen. The shuttles were built by Rockwell, Thiokol the boosters, etc. Apollo was subbed out to Boeing, McDonnell, Northrop, Grumman, Douglas, etc for different parts. Grumman famously sent Rockwell a bill for towing the Apollo 13 capsule home with the LEM.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#48]
[SCRUBBED][4K] LIVE 3.5 miles from NASA's most powerful rocket ever going to the moon!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

4.5 BBBBBBillion Dollars!

Wait, that's not funny, That's my money too.

EDIT: Looks like a scrub !
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top