Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 38
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of y’all might enjoy this 4 minute video about Jabba’s Palace.

Inside Boba Fett’s New Crib (aka Jabba’s Palace) [Canon] - Book of Boba Fett Expanded

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought Bubba Fatt got ate by a bazillion year old sand vagina plant or something?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
What made Boba Fett cool in the Empire Strikes Back was his combined aura of mystery, resourcefulness, and implied ruthlessness.

The further that Disney/Lucasfilm deviates from those traits for Boba Fett, the faster that Disney alienates the core fan base.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What made Boba Fett cool in the Empire Strikes Back was his combined aura of mystery, resourcefulness, and implied ruthlessness.

The further that Disney/Lucasfilm deviates from those traits for Boba Fett, the faster that Disney alienates the core fan base.
View Quote

Yeah, this feels like a geriatric, overweight, sloppy, watered-down version of Boba Fett.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
TBH, I’d prefer it if Book of Boba Fett was just a darker version of The Mandalorian minus Baby Yoda.

Just a morally gray Boba Fett (HELMETED) ruthlessly collecting bounties. There was so little of that in The Mandalorian with the plot revolving around Baby Yoda.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
GD hates Boba Fett.

Why am I not surprised.
View Quote

Not enough bewbs?  Though, i have to admit, they do help.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

-

I'm still waiting on seeing the Iotran Bounty Hunter we all grew up with from West End Games Star Wars 2nd Edition.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/263159/iotran_bounty_hunter_JPG-2165654.jpg

This dude was the format for everyone's non-Fett, pre-most-of-the-EU, gun-toting Star Wars badass from 1992 until the prequels.  As of right now, he's barely a footnote.
View Quote

I always preferred Gallandro, from the Han Solo novels.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoyed it and thought the back story was not bad. Would have liked to see more trapped people (in the sarlac) moaning and such. And how did a stormtropper end up in there?

Ming-na Wen's dialogue was abysmal.

Fight scene was...odd.

And during the chase scene, all I could think of was...HARDCORE PARKOUR

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure the Stormtrooper took a swan dive in the pit off of the speeder Luke, Chewie, Lando, and Han were on in ROTJ.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the Stormtrooper took a swan dive in the pit off of the speeder Luke, Chewie, Lando, and Han were on in ROTJ.
View Quote

not the version I have.   No stormtroopers there.

In the EU (non-canon now) there was a person who fell into the pit with a few stormtroopers,  She was spit out, but the stormtroopers did not make it back out.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Episode was a bit boring.

Not sure I see the point of this series.  Hopefully it gets better and has some larger meaning.

Boba Fett was a shit character that idiots made into something better in their fan fictions.  It's likely Lucas even hated him and killed him off in a lame way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In the EU (non-canon now) there was a person who fell into the pit with a few stormtroopers,  She was spit out, but the stormtroopers did not make it back out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was mistaken, I watched the scene again no joy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
GD hates Boba Fett.

Why am I not surprised.
View Quote

Boba Fett is !y favorite character. My problem with the episode was that it was kind of boring.
The fights were weak.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I was hoping for Dengar to help Fett after he escaped from the Sarlac.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ll give it a C-. Hope for a much better week 2 or I’m out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow, I'm surprised this is so poorly received here.

I liked the way they used the bacta tank to tell the backstory. The escape from the Sarlacc was OK, and the Jawas stealing his armor.

I really liked the earning respect from Tuskens plot. It's actually teen Boba who's had the most screen time up until now and he needed a lot of hardening and seasoning to be a crime boss, trilogy Boba was also kind of a fuckup, taken out by a blind guy and all. I expect that plot has a ways to go for Boba to acquire his Gaffi stick.

The securing Jabba's empire plotline is fine so far, mostly just introducing characters.

They packed a lot into 39 minutes I thought. I don't see how this was worse than the early Mandalorian episodes like the prisoner, all that's missing is the comic relief from Grogu.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And during the chase scene, all I could think of was...HARDCORE PARKOUR

https://i.ibb.co/hBnwhgQ/the-office.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I enjoyed watching it with my kids, but it wasn't great.  They had to tell the back story in episode 1, so I'll give them a pass.  Hopefully 2 will be better.  

I had a hard time getting by old, fat Boba Fett.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#20]

The issue with the first episode was the slow development and phoning it in on the fight. When the attackers jumped down my wife did the "Mortal Kombat!" tune and I about pissed myself laughing. It may have helped to have a 2 part episode released for the debut. Get through the flashbacks to answer some questions and immediately establish the heel (probably the Mayor guy) for the season. Guess we will just have to wait a week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow, I'm surprised this is so poorly received here.

I liked the way they used the bacta tank to tell the backstory. The escape from the Sarlacc was OK, and the Jawas stealing his armor.

I really liked the earning respect from Tuskens plot. It's actually teen Boba who's had the most screen time up until now and he needed a lot of hardening and seasoning to be a crime boss, trilogy Boba was also kind of a fuckup, taken out by a blind guy and all. I expect that plot has a ways to go for Boba to acquire his Gaffi stick.

The securing Jabba's empire plotline is fine so far, mostly just introducing characters.

They packed a lot into 39 minutes I thought. I don't see how this was worse than the early Mandalorian episodes like the prisoner, all that's missing is the comic relief from Grogu.
View Quote

It's poorly received because everyone who grew up on the original unmolested Star Wars liked Boba Fett because he was a mysterious badass who said very little and stood up to Darth Vader when he got in the way of him making money.

Whether or not they did it on purpose, the original Boba Fett was perfectly done to evoke imagination and wonder about his backstory.

Writing that backstory defeats the entire thing that made him cool, especially when you have to write it to include cringey child hood PTSD scenes because George Lucas can't leave successful shit alone.

The original Boba Fett stood up to Darth Vader and was the one competent guy in Jabba's palace. He sat in a corner scanning the room the whole time while everyone partied and when Leia pulled out the bomb and everyone freaked out he drew down ready to go.

Now he takes his helmet off to observe the dress code at bars and sits around on Jabba's throne letting flunkies insult him to his face. In between taking long hot baths to ruminate on his PTSD.

I didn't think it was terrible, I just think they got written into a corner by the stupid prequels and probably some kind of contract obligation to let the Aussie dude show his face every so often.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I was confused about his escape and why was a stormtrooper, not even a sand trooper, in the Sarlacc.

Also, the fight scene sucked a D.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The main Twilek at the cantina was Jennifer Beals from Flashdance. She looked really good for her age.
View Quote

After all...she is a maniac.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
TBH, I’d prefer it if Book of Boba Fett was just a darker version of The Mandalorian minus Baby Yoda.

Just a morally gray Boba Fett (HELMETED) ruthlessly collecting bounties. There was so little of that in The Mandalorian with the plot revolving around Baby Yoda.

View Quote

There's no need for him to stay helmeted.  Boba Fett was not a Mandalorian, nor was he a religious zealot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I liked it.  My only nit pick was they should have used a skinnier actor when he crawled out of the sarlacc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh here we go again. Look, a Star Wars thread, let me go shit in it about how Mickey is a commie. And anyone that supports the mouse must be a commie too.

Go drink a nice, big cup of shut the fuck up, and let those of us that enjoy the show discuss it. I don't watch Star Wars for critical thought. It's a good turn my brain off and forget about the shit-show that is society and our government. So please, stop bitching. Go somewhere else and shit in another thread. Or start your own bitch fest. I don't care.

*I can tolerate the discussion on whether or not Boba is a fuck-up, as it somewhat contributes to the thread. In reality, Lucas never intended for him to gain the notoriety that he has. I think the Clone Wars series established that even as a kid, he was dangerous. He nearly took out Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker, destroying a Jedi cruiser in the process. Granted he had the help of Aurra Sing, but still - he held his own on more than 1 occasion.
View Quote
I agree...  I really don't like Disney politically, but I like anything Star Wars related and will give it a try and make my own decision if I enjoy it or not.  
If I do, I'll watch...  If I detect much politics or virtue signalling that would definitely sour my view on it and very likely make me stop watching it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I liked it.  My only nit pick was they should have used a skinnier actor when he crawled out of the sarlacc.
View Quote

Yeah it is too bad they're stuck with a fat actor.

They sort of wrote themselves into a corner with beskar being a super-metal that even lightsabers can't penetrate, I suppose they could have just sniped him walking around without his helmet but that would make for a short series. I think that fight was just supposed to reward him for sparing the Gamoreans and build his cred as an honorable Daimyo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd say a solid C.   Fett was my favorite growing up as well so I hope this gets better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#29]
In other news, “Book of Boba Fett” Ep1 was underwhelming. Very little of Star Wars’ favorite badass bounty hunter was apparent.
More like “grumpy old man and friend move into empty building, fight the bad guys from Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. “
It wasn’t actually terrible, just not good. Flabby and tired.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#30]
OK serious question... Forget about Politics, SJ, Hating the mouse and all the other crunchiness..

Ever wonder how their Helmets stay on in massive fights, with running, jumping, flips, falls and other type Ninja Shit????

When you see them put them on, they go on just like a motorcycle helmet, but not even a strap. They stay on for impossible fights and accrobatics then they remove them with the slightest effort, again, much like an unstrapped motorcycle helmet.

At least with the Predator, when he takes his off, there is some unbuckle/unfastening and hoses making disconnect vacuum type noises..
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK serious question... Forget about Politics, SJ, Hating the mouse and all the other crunchiness..

Ever wonder how their Helmets stay on in massive fights, with running, jumping, flips, falls and other type Ninja Shit????

When you see them put them on, they go on just like a motorcycle helmet, but not even a strap. They stay on for impossible fights and accrobatics then they remove them with the slightest effort, again, much like an unstrapped motorcycle helmet.

At least with the Predator, when he takes his off, there is some unbuckle/unfastening and hoses making disconnect vacuum type noises..
View Quote

Probably magnets
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Probably magnets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably magnets

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had no idea Boba Fett was so popular until the internet came along.
View Quote

Were you not a kid in the late 70s/early 80s?  Boba was the king-daddy of all the action figures.

If this series had been made in about 1983 (before they made Boba look like a clown in ROTJ), it might have been the most awesome thing ever.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was hoping for Dengar to help Fett after he escaped from the Sarlac.
View Quote

I'm waiting for the plot twist where we find out that Fett did die in the Sarlacc and Dengar has been impersonating him ever since.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the scene where he's putting his armor on in this episode, when he puts his helmet on, there's the sound of some kind of vacuum seal.  Same sound effect used for Vader's helmet in his meditation chamber in ESB.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Boba Fett should be close to 37, but is being played by a 61 year old bloated, fat guy.

What.

Just find a younger Moai guy and move on. Geez.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Massive, obsessed, lifelong SW nerd here...episode was okay. Some really great world building, but it lacked energy.  I wasn't crushed, I wasn't blown away...it was solidly acceptable. Hopefully the series picks up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Boba Fett should be close to 37, but is being played by a 61 year old bloated, fat guy.

What.

View Quote

The Kaminoans lied when they said his age acceleration was not enabled.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There's no need for him to stay helmeted.  Boba Fett was not a Mandalorian, nor was he a religious zealot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a Mandalorian or being a religious zealot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In the scene where he's putting his armor on in this episode, when he puts his helmet on, there's the sound of some kind of vacuum seal.  Same sound effect used for Vader's helmet in his meditation chamber in ESB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What.

View Quote

I won’t disagree.   In My personal mind-cannon the Sarlacc bloated and damaged his tissues and organs leading to his appearance and poor health.   In other woods it had the side effect of aging him beyond his years.   Thus all the Bacta treatments, it’s not just for external scarring.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Any first episode is going to be rocky, especially when you have to tie in 2 separately known story points that, while important for continuity, aren’t the main motivation of the series.

The Mandalorian had the benefit of an established lore and world without the disadvantages of being a known character in that world, so it could hit the ground running.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a Mandalorian or being a religious zealot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.   That said, his helmet is essentially his crown in addition to his armor.    Like Vader’s mask, it strikes fear in his enemies.

However a simpler explanation, his contract says he gets so much face time outside the mask?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Parkour and Boston Dynamics doggies…
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I always preferred Gallandro, from the Han Solo novels.
View Quote

Those were good stories.  Even though the books said he had a mustache, I always visualized him as Robert Vaughn the assassin for hire in Battle Beyond the Stars.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What.

View Quote

Shit, you're right.

An unaltered clone we meet at age 10, approximately 25 years BBY. 4 years till ROTJ. At most BoBF is 7 years after that.

Being extreeeeeeemely generous, Boba might be 46 years old, and living an athletic life. And he's played by a 60 year old who hasn't said no to a third course at the buffet since the late 90's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What.

What motivation would they have to lie?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What.

View Quote

I can understand the fan attachment to Temuera Morrison and wish he physically fit the part better.

Daniel Logan (who played young Boba in Attack of the Clones and provided Boba’s voice in The Clone Wars), is the right age and size, but he sucks as an actor & still sounds like a kid.

Temuera Morrison pulls it off well enough. It would be tough to completely recast to everyone’s satisfaction.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does Disney do boobs?  Asking for a friend

Quoted:

Boba Fett is !y favorite character. My problem with the episode was that it was kind of boring.
The fights were weak.

It's better than all the other Boba Fett related new material we have, anyway.

To be fair, the fight in Mos Espa was not the best.
I'm getting a feeling we're going to learn why BF is not the menacing murdering bounty hunter he was in the coming episodes.
I did expect more from "master assassin" chick.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In other news, “Book of Boba Fett” Ep1 was underwhelming. Very little of Star Wars’ favorite badass bounty hunter was apparent.
More like “grumpy old man and friend move into empty building, fight the bad guys from Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. “
It wasn’t actually terrible, just not good. Flabby and tired.
View Quote

Gonna go with this.

Boba Fat/Bubba Fett/Boba the Hutt just looks tired, old, and overweight. The only reason he survives anything is the armor he's wearing. I'm expected to believe that after being starved, beaten, and denied water in the Tatooine suns for who knows how long, then getting the shit beaten out of him, then getting dragged through the desert by a kid and a dog for endless miles, then being forced to dig for hours, then getting the shit beaten out of him again by a giant 4-armed lizard man...

...he suddenly gathers up enough gumption to jump on it's back and strangle it to death? Come the fuck on.

Pure, unadulterated fanboi service. It was the same thing in the last season of the Mandalorian. He shows up old, tired, and fat, wanders around a bit, then suddenly beats the shit out of a dozen Stormtroopers with a gaffi stick.

Is this what I can come to expect for the entire season? Boba getting knocked down and beat up over and over, only to rise, Rocky-style, at the very last moment, and VanDamme everyone around him? FFS.

This show COULD be good. It isn't so far, not by any stretch of the imagination. We'll see if it improves. They SHOULD have played up the "old, fat, tired, with lingering injuries" thing to the hilt. A tough old coot who's seen too much, been too many places, killed too many people, and now just wants to retire in style, leave that behind. His skills are deteriorating as fast as his wrecked chassis, but he's going to power through and enforce his will on the world around him through sheer ruthlessness, intimidation, and his reputation.

The seeds of that narrative are almost visible. Almost. I guess we'll see what the future holds. My guess is more stupid Boba Rocky VanDamme Fat. I hope I'm wrong.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top