Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I lived in Mobile then. Good times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yep.  Refinery I work in was over forty inches under water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thanks. Now I have Bubba's list of shrimp dishes going through my head.

Shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck you! This post plus the gator pic in the Harvey thread has me fucking hungry now....
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are in the potential path, panic now and avoid the rush.

Almost 25 years ago I was drunk for a week, kept hearing locals talking about some guy named "Andrew". I learned hurricanes the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Irma is about eight degrees in latitude further north.  That could make a huge difference in where it goes.  Based upon past storms, it should turn more northerly but maybe not soon enough to avoid impacting the eastern US  seaboard.

It seems to be about two weeks out so give it time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm ok with this too
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Visiting Puerto Rico when it happened. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it's turning North. Should avoid the Gulf. Now, the east coast...
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like it's turning North. Should avoid the Gulf. Now, the east coast...
View Quote
Ya now its aiming for Florida. It looks like it's going to hit somewhere between Florida and the Carolinas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Last GEFS run.

This shows all of the ensemble members for the run. When it goes all funky and splits apart at the end, that is the ensemble members diverging from each other (the storm itself isn't shattering). Each little red number is a center of low pressure as represented by one of the ensembles. Seems to be a split between Florida and Carolinas, not much going out to sea. You can see what could be a second tropical system following behind.

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Last GEFS run.

This shows all of the ensemble members for the run. When it goes all funky and splits apart at the end, that is the ensemble members diverging from each other (the storm itself isn't shattering). Each little red number is a center of low pressure as represented by one of the ensembles. Seems to be a split between Florida and Carolinas, not much going out to sea. You can see what could be a second tropical system following behind.

http://i.imgur.com/nmuKih1.gif
View Quote
According to most of the long range Models (GFS, Euro) their is an area of high pressure that should keep this from going out to sea. It is possible that it will suppress the storm and keep it more to the south or inland.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
According to most of the long range Models (GFS, Euro) their is an area of high pressure that should keep this from going out to sea. It is possible that it will suppress the storm and keep it more to the south or inland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Last GEFS run.

My understanding is that if the high pressure stays it'll slingshot it into the Carolinas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the "much a do about nothing" camp
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Last GEFS run.

View Quote
Africa.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Really praying this one takes a turn North and just stays out at sea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm in the "much a do about nothing" camp
View Quote
I've got the feeling the storm doesn't much care what "camp" you're in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dunno. ICW is on the other side from me.
Last week ST.John's looked normal.
But it don't take much. To raise it if south of us gets hammered.
It rained super hard here almost all night last night. Easily 2-4 inches kinda hard.

Problem is how saturated it all is. 

But both sides of SR40 east of 17 have standing water. Those same areas almost crested 40 during 04/05' canes.
Already told my supervisor...if it does I won't be in lol .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6-7 days of no power after Charlie...then 4 more..then 3 more..
Lost our ass....
Enough so that last years cane ...wife and I sat outside during the whole thing.
We wished it was at night..like Charlie...
Go to bed..wake up...deal with it.
Vs
Crash...bang....wtf was that...crack...pow..yup...neighbors are fucked in broad day light.

I hate canes....but it's just part of it. Sad part is all the rain we get every fucking day....there's already standing water in most places.
River is already pretty high, getting close to topping sea walls by you
Dunno. ICW is on the other side from me.
Last week ST.John's looked normal.
But it don't take much. To raise it if south of us gets hammered.
It rained super hard here almost all night last night. Easily 2-4 inches kinda hard.

Problem is how saturated it all is. 

But both sides of SR40 east of 17 have standing water. Those same areas almost crested 40 during 04/05' canes.
Already told my supervisor...if it does I won't be in lol .
I live at the headwaters of the St. John in NE Okeechobee county. Everything that falls here will go North  eventually. Our ponds, canals and drainage ditches have been full for weeks and the ground is saturated. We have had standing water in our yards for weeks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got the feeling the storm doesn't much care what "camp" you're in.
View Quote
Certainly would not want to be sleeping in a "camp" when this strikes!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
18z Sept 01 2017 GFS...

Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Not funny.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not funny.
View Quote
No its not.

Updated that post with wind graphic. There have been a couple of GFS runs now over the last few days that show a strike in the NY, CT, NJ area from Irma.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The chance of this one going to NY are low.  
View Quote
Not nearly as low as the chance of that thing ever making it to Colorado
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No its not.

Updated that post with wind graphic. There have been a couple of GFS runs now over the last few days that show a strike in the NY, CT, NJ area from Irma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not funny.
No its not.

GFS model?

You're safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

GFS model?

You're safe.
View Quote
See the weather underground forecast with European model that I linked to above. Looks kind of similar :(
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#28]
New models agree, it is going somewhere between Galveston and Greenland
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Certainly would not want to be sleeping in a "camp" when this strikes!
View Quote
Sounds like a fun time.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Week Away Gut Feeling: Irma is far enough north now that the trough crossing the US next week grabs on to her early and pushes her out to sea - no US landfall.

Irma goes fishing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Week Away Gut Feeling: Irma is far enough north now that the trough crossing the US next week grabs on to her early and pushes her out to sea - no US landfall.

Irma goes fishing.
View Quote
Really hope you're correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Irma goes fishing.
View Quote
I hope,but I think you're wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
GFS model?

You're safe.
View Quote
Yeah GFS is usually pretty bad five or more days out. For some reason however that model has it making landfall in the NY, NJ, CT, RI region in several of their model runs over the last few days. Keeping my fingers crossed its wrong.

The 6z GFS run for Sept 2:

The ECMWF ensemble:

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Last night's Euro model dick punched South Carolina

The midnight and 6am GFS runs are the scariest so far, storm surge would be a disaster and a lot of wind onshore to places that aren't built for it

not sure I believe the onshore winds in the last one, it has winds penetrating into the interior more than I would expect
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I live at the headwaters of the St. John in NE Okeechobee county. Everything that falls here will go North  eventually. Our ponds, canals and drainage ditches have been full for weeks and the ground is saturated. We have had standing water in our yards for weeks.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Stjohnsriver_detailmap.png
View Quote
Most areas of North Central Florida is saturated... we've pretty much gotten rain everyday since late May... With a few days here and their with no rain. Not your typical rain for 20 minute summer time storms..

Everyone was praying for rain because of the brush fires breaking out..well.. we've got it and still getting it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Most areas of North Central Florida is saturated... we've pretty much gotten rain everyday since late May... With a few days here and their with no rain. Not your typical rain for 20 minute summer time storms..

Everyone was praying for rain because of the brush fires breaking out..well.. we've got it and still getting it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all these thunderstorms remind me of '04, lots of storms and rain, with a lot of hurricanes.

Then in the years to follow few hurricanes and with less rain/storms.

Now there's more storms and more hurricanes, Makes you wonder if there is a connection? Do the same conditions that make a "good" hurricane season also make lots of rain and thunder storms during the spring and summer for Florida?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Just moved to Orlando from AZ...what's with all this rain? 

Actually flying to Germany tomorrow..so, have fun    
Eerily looks like Andrew 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The end of that projection has it crossing a "Herbert Box" for a FL hit, but that's 5 days out.   We won't have a solid idea of where landfall might be until probably Tuesday, to see if it curves up or stays south.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Last night's Euro model dick punched South Carolina

http://i.imgur.com/pnLbUJr.png

The midnight and 6am GFS runs are the scariest so far, storm surge would be a disaster and a lot of wind onshore to places that aren't built for it

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090200/gfs_pres_wind_watl_35.png

https://i.imgur.com/r4db6Tu.png

not sure I believe the onshore winds in the last one, it has winds penetrating into the interior more than I would expect
View Quote
Now im paying attention.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#42]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/passantino/status/903651441792999425/photo/1[/tweet] Warning from the National Weather Service about fake Irma news.

More info here
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#43]
in MD, near the bay

getting shit together today just in case this is a mid-atlantic event.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/passantino/status/903651441792999425/photo/1[/tweet] Warning from the National Weather Service about fake Irma news.

More info here
View Quote
Government knows best, citizen!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Warning from the National Weather Service about fake Irma news.

More info here
View Quote
Where's the fun in that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#47]
A lot of the sites out there use models and such to predict where systems are going to go, but, except for certain conditions, after the 5 day probabiliies, most models fall apart and diverge widely.

that said, it may appear that in 7 days (because this is a forcast also from the nws) there may be some highs that move towards the east, that may sort of start blocking a westward motion of the hurricane, and create a trough of low pressure that might mean it misses the carolinas and the east coast completely
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Saint Lucie here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Sept 2 Tropical tidbit video: https://youtu.be/ocnoepCHK1I
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]
The newer 'disturbance 1' is disconcerting as hell. It appears that it will track into the gulf. 

Irma may put the hurt on the east coast, but if the Gulf Coast of Texas and/or Louisiana takes another hit like 'Depression 1' could do...things will get mega-ugly for the entire nation. 

Page / 223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top