BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 223
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Midnight Euro run is back to predicting landfall, this run has it crushing NC and following through into VA

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017090300/ecmwf_z500_mslp_eus_10.png

http://i.imgur.com/vVeIlmZ.png

6am GFS run in close agreement

https://i.imgur.com/4J0JCtM.jpg

We are still a long way out but when models start zeroing in on a consensus like this, it's pretty alarming
View Quote
Very alarming indeed. I saw some recent ensemble models and all of them were showing a landfall. None of them showed it staying out to sea. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Fuck I hope not. I'm practically on the ocean in VA Beach.
View Quote
Get to the summit of Mt. Trashmore!

Evacuate early; those hurricane evacuation route signs are incredibly hopefull and optimistic.

On that Irma map, 2 of the tracks cross right over my house.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
As of now, looks like nc/va/md/pa will be shat on. I will suggest getting some preps if in these states. Basics for now if possible along with any needed meds, you can always rotate into regular supplies ect.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Dang two in a row it looks like.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck!

Fuck it, Im buying a boat.
View Quote
How people think that will work out.
Attachment Attached File

How it actually works out.
Attachment Attached File

Sorry in advance about your guns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
@RTUtah

Pepper your Angus.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That would be a girl's name.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wtf kind of name is Irma?
Well the don't call them Himacanes
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What the fuck is going on with the coast of Africa that's producing all these violent hurricanes, lately?
View Quote
Climate Change
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Climate Change
View Quote
Averages, how do they work?  It's been pretty quiet since 2005 when Ivan and Katrina blew through. We're probably overdue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Model plots, very few take this out to sea. Most models aren't long range enough to project landfall from the present but do appear to follow the same pattern.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Model plots, very few take this out to sea. Most models aren't long range enough to project landfall from the present but do appear to follow the same pattern.

https://i.imgur.com/7xqMmwf.jpg
View Quote
Monday or Tues will be more accurate, I firmly believe that it's going to damage inland about like a cat 1 would as far as west Pa.

The good news is that with the cold front we have it may be pushed north/west or knock it down a notch or two.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
When's it projected to make landfall?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm hoping people outside of this thread are paying attention to this and looking into preparing before all of this is confirmed.

Though I'm not that confident.
View Quote
Well I have told my neighbors and family.. they may or may not but that's on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't know if we'll get it this far inland, but I'm feeling like it'll be a NC hit. At least I don't have to worry about flooding at my house, biggest concern is wind.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was driving back from Richmond when the not a hurricane hurricane Mathew ran over the area. Almost lost control on I-64 when I hit a huge pond near the construction at Ft. Eustis since it was dark. Rooster tails probably 30ft. in the air. Guy behind me didn't have reflexes quite as fast and plowed into the guard rail. Next day we drove down to the south part of Chesapeake. There's a Target the wife likes to go to there. We get off the exit get down to the bottom of the ramp and realize the Target parking lot is under 6 inches of water and is closed. Fine, we just start driving toward getting back on the freeway. Problem was, the farther we got from the ramp, the deeper the water was getting. It got to the point where my Jeep started gurgling. It finally dawned on me that was the tailpipe under water. We ended up driving over the median and going in reverse back to the freeway. We saw what looked like a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with water up to the windows in the intersection. That was a good indicator that we really didn't want to go that way.

We also saw a Maserati abandoned in the water in the Greenbrier area. Why the fool was out in the water with an expensive car is unknown. His foolishness cost him a bundle. There was a lineup of cars on Greenbrier parkway that had stalled out just rolling down the road towards the mall. Jeep got thru fine. Reinforced the good decision on getting it.
View Quote
That Maserati was on one of the side streets (Eden Way?) off of Greenbrier wasn't it? That area was still pretty flooded, and some of the side streets were still closed, when I went to work Monday. Most of the cars actually on Greenbrier had been moved by that point, but not all. Getting in and out of my neighborhood (Kempsville and Greenbrier) was interesting - having to figure out which streets were navigable.

In a matter of about 90 minutes the water levels went from "water standing on the side of the road" to "water is 1/2 way up the yard to your house". Scared the shit out of me how fast it came up. The storm wasn't bad at all and didn't rain any harder than a Nor'Easter, TS or Cat 1 - stuff we deal with here ALL THE TIME. The ground had just been saturated for weeks prior due to other storms, and the area just couldn't handle it.

So, I am watching IRMA like a hawk and hoping that we don't get any more rain between now and then.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7xqMmwf.jpg
View Quote
I hate that purple track.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
No kidding.  That track would take it over my house.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Monday or Tues will be more accurate, I firmly believe that it's going to damage inland about like a cat 1 would as far as west Pa.

The good news is that with the cold front we have it may be pushed north/west or knock it down a notch or two.
View Quote
That front will be out of the picture by the time the system closes on the eastern seaboard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Who was they guy that predicted Sandy? I want to hear his opinion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's too early to tell if it will affect CONUS or the Bahamas.  Or anything else.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's too early to tell if it will affect CONUS or the Bahamas.  Or anything else.
View Quote
But it isn't to early to prepare.

The older I get, the more these things bother me. It isn't so much the storm as the months and years of disruption that follow. We just reopened some roads from the "1000 Year Flood." That was two years ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@RTUtah

Pepper your Angus.

View Quote
Bro, I'll be in Montana and Colorado, completely off the grid. This is gonna fucking SUCK either way. @USPcompact
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That Maserati was on one of the side streets (Eden Way?) off of Greenbrier wasn't it? That area was still pretty flooded, and some of the side streets were still closed, when I went to work Monday. Most of the cars actually on Greenbrier had been moved by that point, but not all. Getting in and out of my neighborhood (Kempsville and Greenbrier) was interesting - having to figure out which streets were navigable.

In a matter of about 90 minutes the water levels went from "water standing on the side of the road" to "water is 1/2 way up the yard to your house". Scared the shit out of me how fast it came up. The storm wasn't bad at all and didn't rain any harder than a Nor'Easter, TS or Cat 1 - stuff we deal with here ALL THE TIME. The ground had just been saturated for weeks prior due to other storms, and the area just couldn't handle it.

So, I am watching IRMA like a hawk and hoping that we don't get any more rain between now and then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was driving back from Richmond when the not a hurricane hurricane Mathew ran over the area. Almost lost control on I-64 when I hit a huge pond near the construction at Ft. Eustis since it was dark. Rooster tails probably 30ft. in the air. Guy behind me didn't have reflexes quite as fast and plowed into the guard rail. Next day we drove down to the south part of Chesapeake. There's a Target the wife likes to go to there. We get off the exit get down to the bottom of the ramp and realize the Target parking lot is under 6 inches of water and is closed. Fine, we just start driving toward getting back on the freeway. Problem was, the farther we got from the ramp, the deeper the water was getting. It got to the point where my Jeep started gurgling. It finally dawned on me that was the tailpipe under water. We ended up driving over the median and going in reverse back to the freeway. We saw what looked like a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with water up to the windows in the intersection. That was a good indicator that we really didn't want to go that way.

We also saw a Maserati abandoned in the water in the Greenbrier area. Why the fool was out in the water with an expensive car is unknown. His foolishness cost him a bundle. There was a lineup of cars on Greenbrier parkway that had stalled out just rolling down the road towards the mall. Jeep got thru fine. Reinforced the good decision on getting it.

Luckily, that storm hit on a weekend. If it had hit during the work week, a lot of people might have been stranded at where they work. I met a guy in the Reno airport that was a Navy dude here. He'd gotten his house flooded. He'd asked a friend of his to get him out but the guy couldn't get there even with a jacked up truck.

I'm not going to panic but if it looks like a Cat 4 or 5 is going to hit here, we're bugging out. If not, we're probably gonna be OK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bro, I'll be in Montana and Colorado, completely off the grid. This is gonna fucking SUCK either way. @USPcompact
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@RTUtah

Pepper your Angus.

I thought that's when you'd be out that way.

I'm out there the end of this month, and then again in mid-October.

WB is gonna get fucked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Sandy sucked.......hard. I don't want to do that again
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Latest 5-day cone shows a flatter, more southerly track than the projections of a few days ago.

If it continues on that course there's little chance it won't affect the east coast at some point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#28]
i'm pretty sure i'm... no, wait, i AM fucking tired of fucking hurricanes
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who was they guy that predicted Sandy? I want to hear his opinion.
View Quote
That was WXRisk. He was correct for Sandy but Oh So wrong on alot of other storms that i quit listening to him.

Here is his take on the storm Sept 02 2017 video.

THIS WEEK IN WEATHER -- HURRICANE IRMA
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
September 11th give or take a day or so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Luckily, that storm hit on a weekend. If it had hit during the work week, a lot of people might have been stranded at where they work. I met a guy in the Reno airport that was a Navy dude here. He'd gotten his house flooded. He'd asked a friend of his to get him out but the guy couldn't get there even with a jacked up truck.

I'm not going to panic but if it looks like a Cat 4 or 5 is going to hit here, we're bugging out. If not, we're probably gonna be OK.
View Quote
I'm having similar discussions with my wife. I've got family west of RIC and might be invading for a few days if it's going to be that bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a Cat 5 Hurricane into NC if this holds true.

Remember though that yesterday it had it impacting Chesapeake Bay area. So, the model runs are still all over the place.

One thing that's been happening though is they are tracking more and more West.

Saffir-Simpson
Category Wind SpeedPressure (mb)Storm surge (ft)

1         74-95        > 980        3-5                        
2         96-110979-965        6-8                        
3         111-130        964-945        9-12                        
4         131-155944-920        13-18                
5         156+< 920        19+

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm in the FL Panhandle.... Gonna do a test run of the gennie today.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And there's another system to watch right behind it. NHC calling a 70% chance of formation within five days

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/310516/IMG_7170-297827.JPG
View Quote
That's the one people better pray doesn't get into the Gulf and hit TX/LA. People think the gas shortage is bad now, another hit in that area will drive gas prices north of $10.00 a gallon...if you can find it. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Most recent run of the GFS.

If this holds true Irma will match Hurricane Wilma as the lowest pressure ever recorded by a Hurricane in the Atlantic basin.

At 882 mb Wilma had wind speeds of 185 mph.

Making landfall just South of previous model run.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If this holds true Irma will match Hurricane Wilma as the lowest pressure ever recorded by a Hurricane in the Atlantic basin.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_31.png

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_34.png
View Quote
Beat me to the punch.

Scary as hell. If you are in the Carolinas, might want to start some preparations
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Beat me to the punch.
Scary as hell. If you are in the Carolinas, might want to start some preparations
View Quote
Like moving to Montana. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_31.png

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090312/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_34.png
View Quote
Fuuuuuuuck.

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trannycane?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Like moving to Montana. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beat me to the punch.
Like moving to Montana. 
Montana has the opposite problem. They need rain badly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Beat me to the punch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to the punch.

Yup.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just moved from Wilmington. It's a lovely place, and I have family there.

I really don't want a hurricane to obliterate it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Right Now, NOBODY can say where it will land.

We'll need to wait until Tuesday update when the 5 day cone paints the US.

You should still prepare nonetheless.   Fill up on gas and spare cans, get all your shopping done, get a pallet of water, waders, chainsaw, axe, pry bar, etc.   Even if you won't need it for Irma, you may need it later.  

That advice sucks for people that live paycheck to mouth, but it's all I've got.
View Quote
What this guy said
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#44]
We had the same situation last year, same time, it was gonna kill is all, then never even hit the US.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
German for War Goddess I've read
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#46]
This storm is going to tear up something on the East Coast.  The only question is where.

Right now it doesn't look like Florida is going to be hit too bad but if I lived on the coast in the Carolinas I would be starting to make some serious preparations.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#47]
So, this should make landfall on 911? Thuper. 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We had the same situation last year, same time, it was gonna kill is all, then never even hit the US.
View Quote
Did it also have a high pressure system holding it down?
Which storm and what track did it take?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not good at all
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for whered this one goes 
Same here.
Page / 223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top