BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The end made the rest of the movie worth it.
View Quote

That was the best part. In fact they should make a new movie where its just two hours of someone kicking hippie ass
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Great flick.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
One of QT's best. Pulp Fiction, Res. Dogs and Ing. Bastards. It's top 5 for sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And it feels like it’s 3 years long when you’re watching it.

Never understood the attraction.

It’s a self indulgent Tarantino flick that’s whole purpose seems to be “look at how cool I can make this retro set look”.

I thought it sucked.
View Quote

Never even wanted to watch it.

The entire concept felt like they were turning Tate’s death (who was pregnant) into some sort of adventure comedy.

Personally I think it’s more interesting that they just happened to pick *her* house & that her husband (Roman Polanski) had wanted her to get an abortion.

Yes I think he used connections to set it up. But Hollywood loves their pedos so they’d never do anything to suggest that.

Instead, they’ll just make fun of the victims.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my favorite movies as well. I normally have no love for pitty type dogs, but Brad Pitt's dog was hilarious. The dog food was too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I heard... somewhere that they had the option to use the actual car that was used by the Manson family. But they declined because it was just too creepy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was impressed because the real life scum Tex Watson wielded a long barreled High Standard revolver, and Tarantino seemingly had his Tex use the same model gun in the "I know you" invasion scene.

I heard... somewhere that they had the option to use the actual car that was used by the Manson family. But they declined because it was just too creepy.

It's in the "extras" on the DVD.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The entire concept felt like they were turning Tate's death (who was pregnant) into some sort of adventure comedy.

Personally I think it's more interesting that they just happened to pick *her* house & that her husband (Roman Polanski) had wanted her to get an abortion.

Yes I think he used connections to set it up. But Hollywood loves their pedos so they'd never do anything to suggest that.

Instead, they'll just make fun of the victims.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it feels like it's 3 years long when you're watching it.

Never understood the attraction.

It's a self indulgent Tarantino flick that's whole purpose seems to be "look at how cool I can make this retro set look".

I thought it sucked.

The entire concept felt like they were turning Tate's death (who was pregnant) into some sort of adventure comedy.

Personally I think it's more interesting that they just happened to pick *her* house & that her husband (Roman Polanski) had wanted her to get an abortion.

Yes I think he used connections to set it up. But Hollywood loves their pedos so they'd never do anything to suggest that.

Instead, they'll just make fun of the victims.

You missed the point entirely.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One of my favorite movies as well. I normally have no love for pitty type dogs, but Brad Pitt's dog was hilarious. The dog food was too.
View Quote

Someone else appreciated the dog food scene and the labels!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Sound Track and CD.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Some good scenes but I didn't care for the overall concept.  As in Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino likes to re-write history so there is a happy ending.  I know he telegraphs the film as a fairy tale with the, "Once Upon a Time..." in the title but doing it once was enough.  What event will he chose to revise next?  The Titanic?  The JFK assissination?  The Crucifixion of Christ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]
didn't really have any interest in it but after finally watching it I really liked it,great movie
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Easily one of my favorite films.  Masterful.

When it was released, I was out on the road and missed all the talk about the film, so I had no idea what it was about.  None.

I think I went into the film the best way possible: no idea what it was about, and just the vaguest of knowledge about any of the Manson stuff.

No idea.  It wasn't until I saw the gal walk into the theater past the Sharon Tate poster that I realized what was going on and what was about to happen.  Or, thought I did.

Absolute mastery of the art.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It wasn't until this moment that I figured it out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The end is the only part worth watching. To know the same director was behind Pulp Fiction makes one very angry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ending made it all worth it!!

PussyCat makes my Cock hard!!

Robbie plays perfect Sharon Tate-even has all the late 60's dance moves down.
View Quote

Gross, I could smell her through the screen.

Margot though…
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of the people who watched that movie weren't even alive in the summer of '69 and have no memory or knowledge of the Manson gang murders.  I was in high school then and read Helter Skelter a few years later. It shook me up because a young person could meet people like Manson and his followers almost anywhere back then. They were stone cold killers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess I'm one of the few in GD that didn't like it (or don't get it apparently).  It was slow and boring until the very end.
View Quote

Maybe watch it again.
I appreciated it a lot more the 2nd time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought this was a cool dog food label.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked it.  The Bruce Lee fans won’t but, “Judo Gene” LaBelle made Bruce feel very bad in real life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome movie.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Tarantino really captured the era perfectly. California, particularly L.A. was beginning it's tragic, painful death.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Playing the Raiders music in that house was creepy if you know the LA Music Scene connections to Manson.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Bruce Lee scene was hilarious.
View Quote

This.

I mean that could be a whole story on it's own.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought it was good especially the ending . The dog kicked ass .
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I got the feeling that he was trying to portray a golden age of Camelot in Hollywood, which never existed.  Too self indulgent, self referential for me.
View Quote

I'd say the Hollywood golden age was real. Although with hidden parts that were nasty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I liked it.  The Bruce Lee fans won’t but, “Judo Gene” LaBelle made Bruce feel very bad in real life.
View Quote

The Bruce Lee scene created lots of controversy.

I suspect the stories about Bruce and Gene are part of what fed into that scene, although it seems like Gene pulled it off in a way were Bruce wasn't humiliated.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I suspect the stories about Bruce and Gene are part of what fed into that scene, although it seems like Gene pulled it off in a way were Bruce wasn't humiliated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn’t think it was that disrespectful to Bruce.  They both held their own, they both took licks and gave them, and neither came off badly, I thought.  But maybe that wasn’t good enough for Bruce fans.

It did establish that Brad Pitt’s character was very capable in a fight, which factored in later.    He was ex-special forces, after all, so if anyone could have a chance of holding his own against Bruce Lee, it’d be him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m not the biggest Tarantino fan but that movie was really good.  If you were alive back then you know how much attention to detail was brought into the movie.  The Screen Gems music really was a blast from the past since it had probably been fifty years or more since I’d heard it.  The Spahn Ranch scenes were really creepy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I enjoyed it.  Tarantino’s take on 50s/60s Hollywood was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The entire concept felt like they were turning Tate’s death (who was pregnant) into some sort of adventure comedy.

Personally I think it’s more interesting that they just happened to pick *her* house & that her husband (Roman Polanski) had wanted her to get an abortion.

Yes I think he used connections to set it up. But Hollywood loves their pedos so they’d never do anything to suggest that.

Instead, they’ll just make fun of the victims.

View Quote

I think that Tarantino has always been obsessed with The Tate/LaBianca murders.

This movie is titled, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", trying to point out that it is a fantasy of how he hoped it would be.

He did an amazing job, showing what should have been the outcome of that sad day in Hollywood history.

Sharon Tate was much loved and just getting started, so her death was a major shock.  Granted, she married a complete freak, but we never had to see their messy and twisted divorce in a few years...

Sadly...
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Great movie. Probably the only QT movie I actually enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I got the feeling that he was trying to portray a golden age of Camelot in Hollywood, which never existed.  Too self indulgent, self referential for me.
View Quote

It’s supposed to represent the day Golden Age Hollywood died.

But y’all already knew that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Easily one of my favorite films.  Masterful.

When it was released, I was out on the road and missed all the talk about the film, so I had no idea what it was about.  None.

I think I went into the film the best way possible: no idea what it was about, and just the vaguest of knowledge about any of the Manson stuff.

No idea.  It wasn't until I saw the gal walk into the theater past the Sharon Tate poster that I realized what was going on and what was about to happen.  Or, thought I did.

Absolute mastery of the art.
View Quote

As soon as I saw Sharon Tate and the year 1969 my radar went ballistic!!
So happy end turned out different!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I love it when DiCaprio calls the hippies' car a mechanical asshole.

I'm gonna use that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great movie. Probably the only QT movie I actually enjoy.
View Quote

Go see 'Jackie Brown', I think it's better, because it makes you think.
I did enjoy this movie, and DiCaprio did a great job.
"My alcohol don't need no pal"(or something like that).  
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Go see 'Jackie Brown', I think it's better, because it makes you think.
I did enjoy this movie, and DiCaprio did a great job.
"My alcohol don't need no pal"(or something like that).  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I liked the part where the girl pointed out to Steve McQueen that Sharon is attracted to men who are built like boys. Steve realized why he didn't have a chance with her but also Sharon in real life played a part in her own demise. Her husband left her defenseless, her ex couldn't defend her and they didn't even have a guard dog. As depicted in the movie when the Manson gang show up to a home of men even on a bad day the men can still defend themselves (plus have a guard dog).

Cliff and Bruce: In Cliffs time in Hollywood actors were still played by men, many vets regardless of their own personal demons they could still back up what they were portraying. Bruce really relied on one believing he could do all that he said and now we have 80 pound females fighting 300 pound guys in movies.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Tarantino is a master at using action and sound to paint a picture of life just as he wants you to see it.  I was amazed at the attention to detail in the scenery and costumes.  The acting was first-rate.  There literally is not a bad performance in the entire movie.  

It just suffers from the same thing as all Tarantino movies.  It's too dang long, and there are some parts that could disappear entirely without affecting the quality of the movie.  I was surprised at the ending.  It did make me happy, though.  That's how the real story should have ended.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I liked the part where the girl pointed out to Steve McQueen that Sharon is attracted to men who are built like boys. Steve realized why he didn't have a chance with her but also Sharon in real life played a part in her own demise. Her husband left her defenseless, her ex couldn't defend her and they didn't even have a guard dog. As depicted in the movie when the Manson gang show up to a home of men even on a bad day the men can still defend themselves (plus have a guard dog).

Cliff and Bruce: In Cliffs time in Hollywood actors were still played by men, many vets regardless of their own personal demons they could still back up what they were portraying. Bruce really relied on one believing he could do all that he said and now we have 80 pound females fighting 300 pound guys in movies.

View Quote

That was supposed to be his wife, Neile McQueen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Good flick, but I dont like dirty feet...
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tarantino is a master at using action and sound to paint a picture of life just as he wants you to see it.  I was amazed at the attention to detail in the scenery and costumes.  The acting was first-rate.  There literally is not a bad performance in the entire movie.  

It just suffers from the same thing as all Tarantino movies.  It's too dang long, and there are some parts that could disappear entirely without affecting the quality of the movie.  I was surprised at the ending.  It did make me happy, though.  That's how the real story should have ended.
View Quote

The aesthetics of the movie were amazing. Only Chernobyl beats it for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Bruce Lee scene was hilarious.
View Quote

Funny watching him get thrown into the car door and the woman's reaction to it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top