BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you talking about charging stations for everyone or charging stations for the people also getting 5 figure bonuses?....

Because what % of the work force do you think is getting 5 figure bonuses?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm self employed. We do have an employee though. He gets regular raises, free gas, we buy most of the parts for his vehicles, we pay for his phone, he has the best health insurance money can buy, shall I go on?
No that's ok. No need to go on how your great treatment of 1 employee remotely compares to any bigger business with hundreds or thousands of employees.

Companies that want to retain excellent employees go above and beyond. 5 figure bonuses are hardly uncommon for valuable workers. You really think EV chargers are going to be the line where companies dig in their heels and refuse to bend?
Are you talking about charging stations for everyone or charging stations for the people also getting 5 figure bonuses?....

Because what % of the work force do you think is getting 5 figure bonuses?

I think his point was, that retaining good employees is worth additional cost to a lot of companies, finding those companies is probably the tricky part.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You're looking at like $50,000 to install a level 3 charger. Of course there are some tax incentives, but not that much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have employees and a need to hire more.  If they all sucked 50 miles of range out of my meter per day we'd be talking about 15kwh per day per employee or about $1.95 per day at my current rates.

Would I pay basically $2 per day per employee as an incentive if it helped me attract good employees?  Yes, yes I would.  Even if it was double that amount.  That'd be a pittance compared to what I spend on healthcare, 401k, and PTO.  

EVs aren't popular around here yet at all so I don't offer it but I would roll it out in a heartbeat if I thought it would help.  I'm sure in certain labor markets, it absolutely does.

You're looking at like $50,000 to install a level 3 charger. Of course there are some tax incentives, but not that much.

Why on earth would you need level 3 charging in a parking lot?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And some work places charge for parking.

I can see it being a benefit initially for a few vehicles till they're like "holy fuck how much is this installation/maintenance/electricity costing us?" for all the vehicles  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a free supercharger that someone else pays for at work and we can use city EV chargers for basically next to nothing.

That is not sustainable.

Sure it is. A parking space itself is an employee benefit.
And some work places charge for parking.

I can see it being a benefit initially for a few vehicles till they're like "holy fuck how much is this installation/maintenance/electricity costing us?" for all the vehicles  

How much do you think the electricity would cost per employee?  Keep in mind that a typically EV might have an 85kwh battery and it's unlikely that anyone's commute would be so great that you'd need to charge from 0 to 85kwh every single day.

Now put that in the context of other employee benefits, what they cost, and the current environment where EVERYONE is fighting to attract good employees.

The build out is another matter but at the end of the day it's a one time cost and you can put that improvement cost in context of it's depreciable life.

The only reason you don't see more of it right now is simply because EVs aren't that widespread.  Few employers are going to install charging in their lots until EV driving workers are a substantial portion of the market.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Installing one charger can cost between 1500 and 5k if you farm the work out, for a single one. Installing a row of them would be a fraction of that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think one issue with electric is personal dynamics.  EV as an only vehicle will only work if you have both access and the mentality to rent ICE when needed.  It is less of an issue once you become a 2 or more vehicle household.  FWIW I am counting the days before I get an EV personally - but the EV needs to fit my families lifestyle first.

As for charging, you can 80% charge Lipo's fairly fast - the last 20% is just going to take time, and honestly not charging the last 20% will probably help the lifespan more than not rapid charging.  Level 3 home charges simply do not add up.  If you have time to charge, lower charging rates are better for the grid in general.  If EV's are ever really excepted, I can not imagine the power draw of a Level 3 Buckies on the interstate.  It would almost need it's own power plant - well that is a joke, but it will draw more power than most small towns anyway.  Buckies can fuel about 600 cars an hr, just how many watts service would you need to do that with EV's...  My bet is that is more power draw than peak in a town of 1000.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would have no earthly idea what percent do. My point was that for exceptional workers, exceptional compensation is provided. A few bucks a day to keep employees happy by charging their vehicles is a bargain compared to the hiring process. Would you rather pay a low level manager 30 dollars an hour to interview 20 people a day, plus HR, plus background checks, plus training, to hire new employees? Or install a few outlets to retain the ones you have?
View Quote
Neither do I but I can't imagine it's a significant amount.

So now we're back to let's get everyone into EVs because of some benefit that may only apply to some small percentage of exceptional workers?

Look I don't care if a company does or doesn't offer free charging but the conversation went from charging at work, to insinuating it's going to be some widespread benefit, to it's a way to retain exceptional employees.

News flash, most people aren't exceptional.

So it's of no benefit to them all while trying to convince them how great it is.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Back when I started working we just tied our horses up in the field next to the gruel factory I worked at. The horses would eat all the free grass they wanted during the day and be ready for the trip home come evening.

When internal combustion engines came out we all laughed at the guys driving them. They had to stop at a gas station and pay for fuel for their vehicles. Can you imagine having to pay for fuel? Cars couldn't even pull a plow and didn't provide manure for the gardens. Cars when they get old require scrapping and that's a problem but an old horse just becomes more Elmer glue. Cars have to be bought from a dealer while every year we get a few foals for free.

I don't know what the fuck them ICE machine drivers are thinking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I ordered my 2013 Model S I paid an extra chunk of money for a now discontinued option called dual chargers that allowed me to charge at 90 amps.

It was without doubt the most unused option and I never needed it.

What I'm getting at here is that an employer would probably not need level 3 chargers for employees to charge their personal cars, the employees are more than likely be there for a few hours.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have employees and a need to hire more.  If they all sucked 50 miles of range out of my meter per day we'd be talking about 15kwh per day per employee or about $1.95 per day at my current rates.

Would I pay basically $2 per day per employee as an incentive if it helped me attract good employees?  Yes, yes I would.  Even if it was double that amount.  That'd be a pittance compared to what I spend on healthcare, 401k, and PTO.  

EVs aren't popular around here yet at all so I don't offer it but I would roll it out in a heartbeat if I thought it would help.  I'm sure in certain labor markets, it absolutely does.

Yea I guess not. From what I've read some places have time limits on them so other people can have a turn.

But maybe it's better to have a level 2 at every spot? I can't imagine that's significantly cheaper though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you even know where you are at right now?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there seriously people who factor in Mad-Max scenarios of government seizing the power grid and not being able to charge your car, etc, into their purchasing decisions?

They go on the car lot and want something akin to al Qaeda's Hilux that can be used to stage an insurgency?

"This car has heated and cooled leather seats, a sun roof, and automatic headlights."

"Yeah, but can it take several .50 caliber rounds to the engine block and still get me to the safe house??"

Some of you are so weird.

Do you even know where you are at right now?  

I do.

And I also know where the NG parks their humvees and deuce and a halfs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fed grant, tax credit, and a state credit. I looked into it and it covers approx 80% of the cost. 30% for the tax credit. Local power offered a 50% grant. The fed grant is restricted and I didn't qualify, which may reduce it even further.

I was looking at dropping one in right next to our main power box. It was going to run about 22k. ETA- that is for level 3. The Level 2 did not require the transformer and box addition, so it was significantly cheaper. The issue was the commercial charging station for cost, which was going to have it be about 12k before credits/grants/etc.

We have a few at some .gov locations that are solar powered only level 2 chargers, which look like they spent way too much on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Back when I started working we just tied our horses up in the field next to the gruel factory I worked at. The horses would eat all the free grass they wanted during the day and be ready for the trip home come evening.
View Quote
I suspect you have never lived around horses.  They are grass burning machines.  Sure they can feed themselves, some of the year in some places - but you better have a big parking lot because they will eat an acre or 2 bare.  Around me 10 acres would be a better estimate (and they would still need supplemental feeding many months of the year).

FWIW I live near 1/2 way between SA and Houston.  There are 3, 2 car Tesla chargers near me.  More and more, I am seeing at least 1 car at each of them (they share power between the 2 cars, so for fastest charging, generally people want to be the only car at the charger.  That said, the easiest way to get a Tesla from SA to Houston is still on a trailer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yea I guess not. From what I've read some places have time limits on them so other people can have a turn.

But maybe it's better to have a level 2 at every spot? I can't imagine that's significantly cheaper though.
View Quote

A 30 amp level one would be plenty and a bunch of them can be installed cheap. Look at it this way, if you pay out the ass for two quick chargers, and have ten employees that want to charge, the employees are going to have to go move their cars when they are done charging, ect. A bunch of level one 30amp chargers will do the job and won't cause any disruptions.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A 30 amp level one would be plenty and a bunch of them can be installed cheap. Look at it this way, if you pay out the ass for two quick chargers, and have ten employees that want to charge, the employees are going to have to go move their cars when they are done charging, ect. A bunch of level one 30amp chargers will do the job and won't cause any disruptions.

View Quote
Yea I would agree many lower level chargers would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.

That will happen, but it’s going to take a long time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would I install Level 3 chargers for spots that people are going to park in for 9 hours a day?  

Level 2 is more than adequate for employee parking.  The hardware is $500 per station and then you have installation costs which I think will vary greatly on a per unit basis depending on the number of spots you are wiring up.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fed grant, tax credit, and a state credit. I looked into it and it covers approx 80% of the cost. 30% for the tax credit. Local power offered a 50% grant. The fed grant is restricted and I didn't qualify, which may reduce it even further.

I was looking at dropping one in right next to our main power box. It was going to run about 22k. ETA- that is for level 3. The Level 2 did not require the transformer and box addition, so it was significantly cheaper. The issue was the commercial charging station for cost, which was going to have it be about 12k before credits/grants/etc.

We have a few at some .gov locations that are solar powered only level 2 chargers, which look like they spent way too much on.
View Quote

Your level 3 charger would cost more than I spent in fuel on my 7 year old truck.  I would happily convert to natural gas before electric. Honestly at least for my power grid it is the same difference except it requires 3x the amount of natural gas to convert it to electricity.  I feel like the power generation problem should be solved before a government mandate to turn a significant portion of transportation to electricity. At the very minimum smart chargers that default charging in off peak times.  

I have no doubt that electric cars are being forced, but to be realistic it is because of government mandates and subsidies  not consumer choice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much do you think the electricity would cost per employee?  Keep in mind that a typically EV might have an 85kwh battery and it's unlikely that anyone's commute would be so great that you'd need to charge from 0 to 85kwh every single day.

Now put that in the context of other employee benefits, what they cost, and the current environment where EVERYONE is fighting to attract good employees.

The build out is another matter but at the end of the day it's a one time cost and you can put that improvement cost in context of it's depreciable life.

The only reason you don't see more of it right now is simply because EVs aren't that widespread.  Few employers are going to install charging in their lots until EV driving workers are a substantial portion of the market.

View Quote

The electricity is cost is negligible.

Obsolescence (I've got a $800 per charger necessity on my desk right now), network fees, management, friction, insurance, maintenance add up to a significant amount. Some is CAM-able, but it's definitely not free and visible enough that it impacts business tenant decisions.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to think of it in terms of how many miles an employee needs to replenish per day.  If an employee has a 50 mile round trip commute and you wanted to cover all of it.  You'd be looking at giving them 15kwh assuming 300wh/mile which is frankly something that could be accomplished on a standard 120v/20amp plug in 8 hours.  That's not even Level 2, that's Level 1.

But if you were going to go through all the effort to wire a parking spot, you might as well go Level 2.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh. I'm happy with my electric car.

Charge at home @ 46A. I only need to charge roughly 2hrs to cover my driving for the day. That is done in the wee hours of the morning before I leave, scheduled charging, and off peak pricing.

Road trips have been awesome. Admittedly, range anxiety is a thing, but it has slowly gone away as I have learned to trust the onboard computer and its' estimations. Really not much different than the ICE lie-o-meters DTE displays....

Anyone want to know anything specific?

Oh, and I may or may not have mixed a cocktail while on autopilot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Depends. Are you in your early 20's, genetically female, with perky breasts and a small waist? If so, send me your resume.
View Quote

Cool!
(off to find a picture on the internet and check out the latest sales prices of used kidneys)
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#24]
How is EV going to get you 100 miles into a rural North Dakota like to go ice fishing?

How is an EV going to get you and your trailer to bum-fuk rural Montana to your favorite hunting spot?

What EV is going to pull even a small camper?

What EV gets me to a project meeting in nowhere zone Nothern Iowa?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You have to think of it in terms of how many miles an employee needs to replenish per day.  If an employee has a 50 mile round trip commute and you wanted to cover all of it.  You'd be looking at giving them 15kwh assuming 300wh/mile which is frankly something that could be accomplished on a standard 120v/20amp plug in 8 hours.  That's not even Level 2, that's Level 1.

But if you were going to go through all the effort to wire a parking spot, you might as well go Level 2.  

View Quote

If I was an employee at a place that subsidized a fellow employees EV with free charging, I would want management to subsidize my ICE vehicles fuel cost as well
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How is EV going to get you 100 miles into a rural North Dakota like to go ice fishing?

How is an EV going to get you and your trailer to bum-fuk rural Montana to your favorite hunting spot?

View Quote

Right now, a hybrid is the best option for those tasks, the new F150 Hybrids look pretty awesome.

In the future once EV and battery tech advances a few generations, all those things could be possible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I plan on just doing level 1 at work (over 12 hour shifts). Using an existing outlet of the side of a building near to where I park, and often times I'm the only one around in that area. So I'm all set, but it's definitely a case of yea it works for one person but not if everyone wanted to do it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Public transportation is way off being fully electric.

Freight Shipping is way off from being fully electric.

Farm and heavy equipment is not viable for all electric .
View Quote

Here is some reality about how electric vehicles are only practical for private transportation.

Engineering Explained

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If I was an employee at a place that subsidized a fellow employees EV with free charging, I would want management to subsidize my ICE vehicles fuel cost as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an employer I would say "The charging stations are free to use an an employee, if you choose not to use them that is your decision"

They will be more likely to retain young talent by offering an incentive that is likely to cater to them. They don't care about older talent because they will be retiring sooner anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an outdoor commercial application subject to a number of requirements depending on local locale  - what do you consider cheap?

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There a liars, damned liars, and statisticians.

But it doesn't take a quant to see that no matter how you frame the headline, one out of five people learned through experience -- not conjecture -- that electric vehicles are not a suitable solution for them.  These were people that presumably were true believers, drinkers of the EV juice, that joyfully took a big swig but spit it out as unpalatable.

When your cheerleaders stop cheering, how are you going to win over the hold-outs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really aren’t good with statistics are you? Go invert the headline, here let me do it for you.

Original: 1 in five ditch their electric cars for gas.

Inverted: four out of five prefer their electric over gas.

Bonus points, which statement is the most factual and least biased?

There a liars, damned liars, and statisticians.

But it doesn't take a quant to see that no matter how you frame the headline, one out of five people learned through experience -- not conjecture -- that electric vehicles are not a suitable solution for them.  These were people that presumably were true believers, drinkers of the EV juice, that joyfully took a big swig but spit it out as unpalatable.

When your cheerleaders stop cheering, how are you going to win over the hold-outs?

Right, you don’t wish to admit that focusing on the one out of five is more dishonest than the 4 out of five who keep it. Okay then.

Then it’s probably a waste to remind you battery tech isn’t stagnant right and that Charge times and capacity have been improving with every new generation.

You really don’t want to look at the writing on the wall, that only 1 out of 5 have switched back from TODAYS electric car, and that number is going to only get smaller with each generation of batteries.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol, I don't need a Google search.   I own a Tesla and it absolutely can charge 50 miles of range in 5 minutes on the latest Superchargers.

View Quote

ETA: I don't think this was even the latest & greatest gen of the supercharger, but memory is fuzzy....

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As an employer I would say "The charging stations are free to use an an employee, if you choose not to use them that is your decision"

They will be more likely to retain young talent by offering an incentive that is likely to cater to them. They don't care about older talent because they will be retiring sooner anyway.
View Quote

You would lose some older employees I would wager, but it sounds like you don't value them as much as young talent
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Plenty of reasons to want an EV... none of which are it being environmentally friendly.
There are also plenty of limitations to EVs that prevent me from getting one at this time.

A wireless charging mat that you simply park the car on would be a good thing...
Standardized quickly changeable battery packs so you could swap batteries about as fast as it takes to fill up gas would be another good thing.
If that happens then the need for 500+ miles range would be reduced to the about 300 that the industry is currently at... But if it doesn't then 500+ range is needed so you can drive a solid amount and charge it back up at your over night location.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

They aren't ideal for any of those things currently.  I wouldn't buy an EV right now if those are typical uses for you.  Not all vehicles serve all purposes and that was true even before EVs.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to avoid hiring people who are more worried about what the other guy gets rather than if his own compensation is suitable for the task being asked.  They are nothing but shit disturbers and trouble makers.  You can never please them because they are always selective about the injustice they perceive.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You would lose some older employees I would wager, but it sounds like you don't value them as much as young talent
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The few that jumped ship over something as silly as a few bucks worth of free electricity probably wouldn't matter much to productivity.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I tend to avoid hiring people who are more worried about what the other guy gets rather than if his own compensation is suitable for the task being asked.  They are nothing but shit disturbers and trouble makers.  You can never please them because they are always selective about the injustice they perceive.

View Quote

I never have had a problem with an employer that I could not fix by finding another
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
^^ Yep, that's (one of) the big Achilles heel of electric cars -- PARKING infrastructure.  Don't get me wrong, the technology is great -- I love the instantaneous torque.  But the parking infrastructure is a massive dagger in the heart of widespread EV adoption in the US, and you can't fix the antiquated parking limitations in America's city areas quickly.

I have said this before -- one of the biggest lies is that EVs work great for people in cities.   The reality is that EVs do not work with the current urban parking situation and that applies to the vast majority of people in the United States.   Until the technology makes charging as fast as gassing up a ICE vehicle, it won't work.

Consider that the last US Census noted that close to 70% of the United States population was in an urban area.  This means urban parking is a problem for a great majority of Americans.

Say you're lower class.  You live in a high-rise apartment or rowhome in a poor area.  Your only parking is on the street.  

Middle class?  You live in a high-rise apartment or rowhome in a decent area.  No free parking here either, so you either park on the street or shell out hundreds of dollars to park in shared indoor parking.  In my area of downtown Philadelphia, shared indoor parking is $225/mo at minimum, and very few have any charging stations at all.   The one that has a charging station near me is not free.  

Upper class?  You live in a high-rise condo/apartment in a very good area.  OK, now you have a real chance of having a charger in your (shared) indoor garage.  You have a reserved spot but you may not have a charger in every spot.  But how many people fall into the upper class?  Very few ... and that means very few people have access to proper charging (due to parking, not electrical infrastructure).

Now that's just where you live.  What about where you work?  In ALL cases, chances are you can't charge at work.  Office buildings in the big cities often do not offer ANY parking, even if you want to pay for it!  Maybe you're lucky and your office (if you work in an office) has an indoor parking lot where you can buy a monthly pass.  The reality is that you're stuck finding street parking or using a commercial lot -- which puts you back in the situation of no chargers.

You want to put chargers on the street for public use?  You think the copper theft problem NOW is bad?  Wait until you put lots of nice copper laden chargers on every urban street!  

Speaking of crime in cities, which is rapidly increasing, no sane individual wants to immobilize their car for even 20-30 minutes to get a decent fast charge if you're in an urban area.   How many of you have related stories about being accosted by a panhandler at a gas station in the short time that you need to fuel up an ICE vehicle?  Why would anyone want to stay longer in such a targeted environment?  You want to pay at the pump, gas up and get the hell back on the road.  

We've ruled out EVs for city dwellers.  What about deep rural folks (like  where I grew up)?  They won't adopt EVs due to range concerns.  

So we've ruled out EVs for city people and rural folks.  The reality is that pure EVs only work for the suburbs, where folks have real garages so they can charge at home but are close enough to work that they don't need to charge at work.  With 70% of the population in the US being "urban", it just doesn't apply to most people.  

To be clear, the technology will catch up.  Eventually we will go back, full circle, to where we are today -- "gas stations" will be replaced by "EV stations", where you can charge in 5 minutes for 200-300 miles of juice.  However, those sorts of huge infrastructure changes will happen at a much slower pace than most EV proponents realize.  Until that time, EVs are limited to the small segment of society that have garages in the suburbs --  i.e., not much of America.  

View Quote

i want to sign up for your newsletter.

EV fanboys will soon be here to tell you are wrong and Biden is gonna fix all of this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actually Electric is better. Price will come down as they are produced more.
View Quote

honk honk
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any older employee that would quit over newer employees taking advantage of a ~$1-$3 per day benefit probably aren't "all in" type employees in the first place.  What a ridiculous thing to get worked up over.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.
View Quote

Your information on this is out of date, over a year ago Tesla’s with the original battery began to reach over 500,000 miles, putting those models ahead of ice vehicles in the same price range for total cost of vehicle.

Their next battery is listed as a million mile battery, that is likely going to outlast the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Any older employee that would quit over newer employees taking advantage of a ~$1-$3 per day benefit probably aren't "all in" type employees in the first place.  What a ridiculous thing to get worked up over.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't you heard? It's not fair.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blessed with an ability to work at will and never had to put up with an employer that I have a difference of opinion with large or small, I love this system
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Blessed with an ability to work at will and never had to put up with an employer that I have a difference of opinion with large or small, I love this system
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More power to you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol, no they don't.  A simple Google search says 30-40 minutes gets you to 80% capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That part already exists.  Tesla Superchargers charge that fast.

Lol, no they don't.  A simple Google search says 30-40 minutes gets you to 80% capacity.

It may stay that way for a while too. This is an inherit characteristic of Lithium Ion batteries. Then again most EV owners don't charge to 100% very often since it wears the batteries out faster. Letting a Li-Ion battery discharge too far will damage or destroy it, and always keeping it at 100% will shorten the lifespan. Many devices with Li-Ion batteries don't charge to the theoretical max for this reason.

EVs do allow you to select a full charge if you are going on longer trips, but this is really only practical with home charging.

On a side note, Li-Ion isn't the only chemistry with this characteristic when it comes to charging. Even your basic lead acid batteries whether deep cycle or starting lighting and ignition behave similar except they really prefer to be at 100%. The charging rate still applies though, the last time I but the battery charger on my truck it got to around 85% quickly (wasn't fully discharged in the first place) but took almost a day to go to 100. Granted this is not a high current charger but it also isn't a trickle charger. Fun fact: If your battery runs down, don't rely on the alternator to charge it if you can. It will struggle to get to 100% unless you are going to be doing a lot of driving, and is also puts more wear on the alternator.

I just don't see how EVs are going to work for anyone who can't charge at home. Honestly even home charging would be a struggle if we don't build more power plants that actually produce electricity when and where you need it. That means using power generation technology that scares liberals - coal, gas, and nuclear. Solar only kind of works because power consumption is highest during the day, but if we're charging vehicles at night we are going to need a lot of batteries that store energy for charging more batteries. Can we even make that many batteries and at what cost?

Of course the government is fine with us being stuck at home and freezing in cold winters or roasting in hot summers. They won't be impacted by their own decisions - they never follow their own rules, and we don't matter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There aren’t enough California, Illinois, New York “national guard” to seize all of gas stations and truck stops in Texas, Idaho, Kansas...

Moreover, you can’t bring that trailer or tanker full of electrical charge with you.

How many “national guard” does it take to shut down the grid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas only.

Lithium mining is cancer to the planet.

It is all a liberal feel good failure to achieve the stated goal.

The left is trying to limit our range and freedom of movement.

Hard to revolt and move on .gov if you only “fill up” in 4 or 5 hours.

Hard to revolt and move on .gov if the national guard is called out to seize gas stations.

It's a jerk off fantasy that EVs are part of some grand plan to suppress and control the populace.  If they wanted to do that, they wouldn't have to go through nearly the trouble.

COVID-19 already proved what they can get people to do merely by decree, fear, and propaganda.

There aren’t enough California, Illinois, New York “national guard” to seize all of gas stations and truck stops in Texas, Idaho, Kansas...

Moreover, you can’t bring that trailer or tanker full of electrical charge with you.

How many “national guard” does it take to shut down the grid?

It didn't take any “national guard” to limit the sales of gas when it was done. Look up WWII gas rationing. Limiting gas sales would be MUCH easier than limiting peoples home electricity.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It will get passed along like any other overhead would.

A lot of very successful businesses have a myriad of small benefits for employees to retain them, the upfront and ongoing cost will be offset by employee satisfaction and production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a free supercharger that someone else pays for at work and we can use city EV chargers for basically next to nothing.

That is not sustainable.

No it isn't.  A couple of Tesla charging spots makes for good press.  Building out and feeding charging stations for more than a minority of your employees?  That money has to come from somewhere, if not the customer/consumer than from the employees.

A lot of very successful businesses have a myriad of small benefits for employees to retain them, the upfront and ongoing cost will be offset by employee satisfaction and production.

... so it isn't "free".

People keep using that word.  It doesn't mean what they think it means.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

... so it isn't "free".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not sustainable.

No it isn't.  A couple of Tesla charging spots makes for good press.  Building out and feeding charging stations for more than a minority of your employees?  That money has to come from somewhere, if not the customer/consumer than from the employees.

... so it isn't "free".

It's free to the employee from the employer, or at least that's what I would assume if you can just wheel up and plug in.

The customer pays for employer overhead costs, just like they always do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

None. EV isn't for you. And not all use cases are in North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Montana, etc. The world is vast, and TONS of use cases ARE solved by EVs....
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top