Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's part of the compensation package. You sound like a boss who refuses to provide coffee
View Quote

No, I'm the boss that pays for the coffee so I understand that it isn't free.

I'm also the boss that has to tell the non-coffee drinkers that I will not supply Coke/Monster/kombucha.  I buy coffee for everyone because I drink it.  It doesn't mean I will provide you with the beverage of your choice or a "beverage subsidy" to your pay check.

... and I may be wrong, but I think charging your car costs a hell of a lot more than a k-cup or a couple of tablespoons of Folgers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Love the employee/employer drama, it's a two way street
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can buy a brand new model 3 for 39k.
View Quote

That before or after the tax credits?

'cause if its one thing we all love, it's corporate welfare.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those ran out a long time ago for Tesla.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1)  Grocery stores that regularly use loss leaders like milk to get people in the door are going to eventually see offering L2 charging as a way to attract people to their store.  If I'm an apartment dweller with an EV and I can go to Walmart or Kroger but Walmart is offering free L2 charging for the 30-60 minutes that I'm there...I'm going to Walmart.

2)  If loss leading isn't the goal, there will be a financial incentive to offer charging.  Right now as it is, you can hire a 3rd party to install chargers on your lot and collect a portion of the charging fees that they generate.  This isn't a big deal now with only a few percent of the public driving EVs but what about in the future when there are millions of them on the road?

View Quote

I can see restaurants doing this, easily.

Charging an EV by ~20% is only ~$2 in electricity. Then you can have a captive consumer who spends $30-150 on food.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought they still have a 7500 tax credit for 2021?   Edt...... You are right, they ran out for tesla but are still their for almost all others
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.
View Quote

100% wrong.

Teslas currently have much better resale value than comparable ICE cars.

Batteries and drivetrains are being designed to last 1,000,000 miles now.

EVs will hold their value better because the operating costs will be far lower (fuel and maintenance) than comparable used ICE vehicles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought they still have a 7500 tax credit for 2021?   Edt...... You are right, they ran out for tesla but are still their for almost all others
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So maybe not a long time ago they hit their cap in mid 2018 and completely phased out at the start of 2020.

ETA: Biden wants to extend it all though. So it would come back.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So maybe not a long time ago they hit their cap in mid 2018 and completely phased out at the start of 2020.
View Quote

They are subsidizing almost all others, so it does go to the argument that EVs are being subsidized by .gov
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are subsidizing almost all others, so it does go to the argument that EVs are being subsidized by .gov
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I admit the only reason I'm getting the plug in hybrid version over the regular hybrid is because of the credit. Otherwise it really doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if any EVs will have collector car value in 50 years?
View Quote

I doubt it, but it will be the same for any vehicles produced since they went to electronics so heavily. The replacement chips and electronic assemblies just won't be available in 50 years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The proper viewpoint to have is that if the government is stupid enough to make such an incentive, the dumb ones are the ones to don't take advantage of it....

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No it isn't.  A couple of Tesla charging spots makes for good press.  Building out and feeding charging stations for more than a minority of your employees?  That money has to come from somewhere, if not the customer/consumer than from the employees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a free supercharger that someone else pays for at work and we can use city EV chargers for basically next to nothing.

That is not sustainable.

Sure it is. A parking space itself is an employee benefit.

No it isn't.  A couple of Tesla charging spots makes for good press.  Building out and feeding charging stations for more than a minority of your employees?  That money has to come from somewhere, if not the customer/consumer than from the employees.

Not to mention the power usage for the charging infrastructure could equal or surpass the energy needs for the building.  Most commercial buildings excluding high rise might be 1600-2000 3 phase. Even considering a few dozen chargers, that power draw is not insignificant.  

My old office building had 2 charging stations, given there were 75-100 cars in the lot at one time and assuming just half those spots would be equipped with charging stations, the building's electrical system would have required a major over haul.  It's not going to happen, you will have to charge at home or charge at the local station.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, to be fair the oil industry has received a ton of.gov subsidization , including keeping water ways in the middle east open with the us military.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's part of the compensation package. You sound like a boss who refuses to provide coffee, or charges his employees for parking, or restricts everyone to one drink apiece at the Christmas party.

Bottom line, if you want happy employees, you have to stay competitive with your compensation. If not? Well, have fun doing constant interviews with your 6 month turnover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a free supercharger that someone else pays for at work and we can use city EV chargers for basically next to nothing.

That is not sustainable.

Sure it is. A parking space itself is an employee benefit.

It's part of the compensation package. You sound like a boss who refuses to provide coffee, or charges his employees for parking, or restricts everyone to one drink apiece at the Christmas party.

Bottom line, if you want happy employees, you have to stay competitive with your compensation. If not? Well, have fun doing constant interviews with your 6 month turnover.

There's a hell of a difference between$100 in coffee monthly vs 10's of thousands of dollars in capital costs just to put the infrastructure in place.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm also the boss that has to tell the non-coffee drinkers that I will not supply Coke/Monster/kombucha.  I buy coffee for everyone because I drink it.  It doesn't mean I will provide you with the beverage of your choice or a "beverage subsidy" to your pay check.

... and I may be wrong, but I think charging your car costs a hell of a lot more than a k-cup or a couple of tablespoons of Folgers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's part of the compensation package. You sound like a boss who refuses to provide coffee

Something that is not at all limited to the topic of electric vehicles, justsociety at large and general - t is fucking amazing how many people think that certain things should be "free" via employer.

Or Re: inflation that salaries will simply go up because the businesse simply has that much freaking money, even if it's one of the sectors the global banking elite is actively trying to kill, and that's just exactly how it works

I honestly think general discussion gets too much of a bad rap at times,

It's usually a few idiots in anyone given topic that we talk about whenever we all kinda make fun of GD.
Or a few diehards who insist everyone else is stupid, while they aren't listening to people generally tell them why X is genuinely uninteresting to them.

However, it is very fucking easy to see in these threads who actually employs people, say more than 3, and who doesn't.
Who works in a mature industry, and who works in one of the ones that is either new, hasn't seen really competitive pressure setting  knyet, or is more government/education/health care related, one of the of the "hidden cost" low market competitionindustries with out of whack salaries.

"Oh my job's salary in this tech bubble company goes up by 10% every year. If people don't get 10%raises in their government killing it on purpose economic sector, it must be the businesses fault for not simply turning the money dial 10%".
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, to be fair the oil industry has received a ton of.gov subsidization , including keeping water ways in the middle east open with the us military.
View Quote

Good point, but I believe they subsidize the electrical grid and generating company's as well, I don't believe they subsidize ICE vehicles as they do EVs
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.

Right now I think something like less than 5% of batteries are recycled and if people think mining lithium is bad wait until they try to recycle it.  Lithium is the current and best tech we have right now but we're just swapping one problem for another this is of questionable value when you really look into.  Trading Opec for China isn't really in our best interest as a nation.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tesla is still making bank on carbon credits, which is a government farce that costs us all money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Love the employee/employer drama, it's a two way street
View Quote

I have two machines with 25 cent bottles. They were free until they started going out the door. So we modify behavior by correct application of constraints. Nobody's thought to bring in a roll of quarters.

Bit over 15% of my work force has gone elsewhere and returned. Balance is possible.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Right now I think something like less than 5% of batteries are recycled and if people think mining lithium is bad wait until they try to recycle it.  Lithium is the current and best tech we have right now but we're just swapping one problem for another this is of questionable value when you really look into.  Trading Opec for China isn't really in our best interest as a nation.  

View Quote

Plenty of lithium around the united states' and Canada just waiting to be dug up.

Battery recycling will become a big thing, probably a good area to invest in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's a hell of a difference between$100 in coffee monthly vs 10's of thousands of dollars in capital costs just to put the infrastructure in place.

View Quote

$100/mo in coffee adds up to $6,000 in five years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to mention the power usage for the charging infrastructure could equal or surpass the energy needs for the building.  Most commercial buildings excluding high rise might be 1600-2000 3 phase. Even considering a few dozen chargers, that power draw is not insignificant.  

My old office building had 2 charging stations, given there were 75-100 cars in the lot at one time and assuming just half those spots would be equipped with charging stations, the building's electrical system would have required a major over haul.  It's not going to happen, you will have to charge at home or charge at the local station.
View Quote

The vast majority of charging occurs at home. Even if everyone charged at work, most cars could top off in an hour or two. You might have to control the charging with a circuit board, but you could definitely do it.

Hell, there are people with all electric houses and two EVs on a 100 amp panel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tesla is still making bank on carbon credits, which is a government farce that costs us all money.
View Quote

Do you try to pay the most or the least amount of income tax to the government?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have two machines with 25 cent bottles. They were free until they started going out the door. So we modify behavior by correct application of constraints. Nobody's thought to bring in a roll of quarters.

Bit over 15% of my work force has gone elsewhere and returned. Balance is possible.

View Quote

Have always been in the position of employee, for me it has worked very well, hats off to employers, much respect.
But it is always a give and take and employers are used to having the upper hand in negotiations, they do not like it when they don't.
Employees should take this to heart
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only a small percentage of EV batteries are recycled because only a small percentage of the batteries made thus far have reached the point where they are recyclable. EV sales are growing at 30-50% per year.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
^ This

Its not uncommon to need transformer upgrades due to electronic office needs alone.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The carbon credits Tesla currently gets are from the EU, not us.

If you don't think that an American company should take money from European governments to steal market share from their own manufacturers you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Externally-charged electric vehicles just aren't going to be real-market viable until/unless we have a massive technological breakthrough in battery tech.

Hydrogen fuel cell tech or other such "generate-on-demand" methods have much, much more potential... which is probably why the global Marxist elites made sure it never went anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I doubt it, but it will be the same for any vehicles produced since they went to electronics so heavily. The replacement chips and electronic assemblies just won't be available in 50 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at what Original Tesla Roadsters trade for - especially Signatures

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Externally-charged electric vehicles just aren't going to be real-market viable until/unless we have a massive technological breakthrough in battery tech.

Hydrogen fuel cell tech or other such "generate-on-demand" methods have much, much more potential... which is probably why the global Marxist elites made sure it never went anywhere.
View Quote

100% wrong, on just about every point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually know someone who had one of the Honda Hydrogen test vehicles. It was pretty sweet!

But yeah, Elon's gravitas and maniacal focus are the reason he broke through the entrenched big oil firewall against EVs.

Maybe the same will now happen for other interesting tech.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

IIRC FCA was paying Billions in carbon credits (They're the Hellcat people , selling cars people ACTUALLY want and being penalized by government for doing so - truly the American Dream. Stunning and Brave. Just pure capitalism, a free and fair market indeed.)
Now as Stellantis, joining with FIAT, supposedly they will not have to.
https://insideevs.com/news/505456/stellantis-discard-tesla-co2-credits/

After FCA merged with PSA to form Stellantis, things changed. Carlos Tavares – Stellantis CEO – said on May 4 it would not need to buy these credits anymore, which is pretty bad news for Tesla.

In an interview with the French newspaper Le Point, Tavares said PSA’s technology would allow Stellantis to achieve all CO2 goals in the European Union as early as this year. With that, the FCA branch of the company will not have to pool with Tesla or any other automaker to be compliant with the environmental regulations.

This might be a problem for Tesla - which sucks, as if I HAD TO pick an EV maker? I'd pick Tesla's products. I would.
I'm a Hummer fanboy from my childhood, and I'd rather have the Cybertruck between the two if forced to pick.

In a perfect world I'd get myself a Hummer with Ford's 7.3L V8, ZF 8speed transmission, the rearlocker from either Ford or Ram, and Ramboxes in the bed, along with GMC's tailgate.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I actually know someone who had one of the Honda Hydrogen test vehicles. It was pretty sweet!

But yeah, Elon's gravitas and maniacal focus are the reason he broke through the entrenched big oil firewall against EVs.

Maybe the same will now happen for other interesting tech.....
View Quote

Hydrogen is garbage.

The fuel cost per mile for the Toyota Mirai is literally more than a fucking brodozer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You have to think of it in terms of how many miles an employee needs to replenish per day.  If an employee has a 50 mile round trip commute and you wanted to cover all of it.  You'd be looking at giving them 15kwh assuming 300wh/mile which is frankly something that could be accomplished on a standard 120v/20amp plug in 8 hours.  That's not even Level 2, that's Level 1.

But if you were going to go through all the effort to wire a parking spot, you might as well go Level 2.  

View Quote

In that scenario, they can charge the Energizer car at home with an extension cord.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just like the idea of being independent of a big portion of that by adding solar to my house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only a small percentage of EV batteries are recycled because only a small percentage of the batteries made thus far have reached the point where they are recyclable. EV sales are growing at 30-50% per year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been using lithium batteries for a long time. I would suspect most just gets tossed in the trash, old cellphones, drill batteries, etc. There are a shit ton of phones sold every year though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Right, you don’t wish to admit that focusing on the one out of five is more dishonest than the 4 out of five who keep it. Okay then.

Then it’s probably a waste to remind you battery tech isn’t stagnant right and that Charge times and capacity have been improving with every new generation.

You really don’t want to look at the writing on the wall, that only 1 out of 5 have switched back from TODAYS electric car, and that number is going to only get smaller with each generation of batteries.
View Quote

Whoopie.  As far as ignoring facts, how about who cars if 1 in 5 get rid of the Energizer bunny car or 1 in do do.   That market is only about 2% of the car market in the USA.

Niche market.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
^ This

Its not uncommon to need transformer upgrades due to electronic office needs alone.

View Quote

The last office building I looked at had electrical infrastructure installed during the Eisenhower years. The insulation on the wiring was degraded and the whole thing needed to be replaced anyway.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, you say that in every electric vehicle post.

I guess you sell batteries or some such.  Or maybe just don't read.

Running a car on batteries would still be ridiculously expensive too were it not for shit tons of government subsidies and the artificial economy of scale they create.

That same level of intervention on behalf of Hydrogen fuel cell tech would have yielded better results.  But better results wasn't what the ruling class wanted.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hydrogen is garbage.

The fuel cost per mile for the Toyota Mirai is literally more than a fucking brodozer.
View Quote

Meh. It is interesting tech, which was my point. Every new piece of tech starts out beyond the reach of mere mortals. Remember $25k 55" plasma TVs?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There will be almost no current vehicles running in 50 years. Once the NOS electronic components are gone or degrade that's it. There won't be any way to reproduce them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Meh. It is interesting tech, which was my point. Every new piece of tech starts out beyond the reach of mere mortals. Remember $25k 55" plasma TVs?
View Quote

I would love to see hydrogen as a transportation fuel, but it's going to be tough to make it happen. We are going to need a shitload of hydrogen and a distribution network for it. Electricity on the other hand is readily available in every American household.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There will be almost no current vehicles running in 50 years. Once the NOS electronic components are gone or degrade that's it. There won't be any way to reproduce them.
View Quote

Antique vehicles will
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would love to see hydrogen as a transportation fuel, but it's going to be tough to make it happen. We are going to need a shitload of hydrogen and a distribution network for it. Electricity on the other hand is readily available in every American household.
View Quote

Hydrogen has been known to come out of every faucet tap in the world, from time to time fall right out of the sky, and it also fills up some pretty big holes called oceans.

Some disassembly required.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Running a car on batteries would still be ridiculously expensive too were it not for shit tons of government subsidies and the artificial economy of scale they create.

That same level of intervention on behalf of Hydrogen fuel cell tech would have yielded better results.  But better results wasn't what the ruling class wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen is going no where. Not going to happen. Don't you push Hydrogen in every EV thread?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Speaking of waking you up, wouldn't it be pretty cool if you could wake up to a full tank every single morning with no effort?
View Quote

Both of my SUVs are just over 1/4 tank when I woke...as they were when I went to bed.  Either can be filled to whatever level I want in a few minutes at one of hundreds of locations in the area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Have always been in the position of employee, for me it has worked very well, hats off to employers, much respect.
But it is always a give and take and employers are used to having the upper hand in negotiations, they do not like it when they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You come off less employee more craftsman or maybe artist.

The interplay is value - create value for a company (or shareholders) and they should appreciate and reward. It's easier to build competency and move efficiently with more experienced, engaged and  purposeful people. In the end there's a reciprocal value and loyalty exchange

There's always poor management and bad employees.  Mostly because they misunderstand this relationship

In the end it's the employer who ultimately is holding the bag - but doesn't mean you can't spread some love along the way.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hydrogen has been known to come out of every faucet tap in the world, from time to time fall right out of the sky, and it also fills up some pretty big holes called oceans.

Some disassembly required.

View Quote

LoL, let me know when I can fill up with the garden hose  

I'm sure someone will be along to point out that the water would require electricity to be pumped out of the garden hose!
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Antique vehicles will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Antique vehicles will

That's why I said current vehicles. I guess I should have said currently produced vehicles. Mechanical parts are one thing to reproduce even a 100 years later. Chips require a VERY expensive chip factory to produce them and it isn't going to happen for a limited antique vehicle market. Look at the trouble the auto makers are having getting chips right now for the *currently* produced vehicles.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top