Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most of these anti-EV takes are literally like virgins talking about sex. Breaking that second wall doe!

I'm sure there will be more boomers here who have never owned or driven an EV to tell you all about what your EV can and can't do though...

View Quote

I think you do a disservice to yourself in dealing with the "anti-EV" people here, a lot of us are not the Luddites you think we are
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Right now I think something like less than 5% of batteries are recycled and if people think mining lithium is bad wait until they try to recycle it.  Lithium is the current and best tech we have right now but we're just swapping one problem for another this is of questionable value when you really look into.  Trading Opec for China isn't really in our best interest as a nation.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.

Right now I think something like less than 5% of batteries are recycled and if people think mining lithium is bad wait until they try to recycle it.  Lithium is the current and best tech we have right now but we're just swapping one problem for another this is of questionable value when you really look into.  Trading Opec for China isn't really in our best interest as a nation.  

Altair International Corp is working on tech to extract lithium for used cells.

The Pelosi's have their fingers into that company too, so I'm hoping there's something big in the works in the next few years as far as government corruption and handing out contracts goes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess I didn't get the memo because we drove ours all last winter even in the ice and snow with no problems.  Handled better in the ice and snow than my 4x4 F-150 by far and frankly better than any other car I've ever owned.

The dual motor configuration is absolutely tits on slippery roads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FEV

(Fuck Electric Vehicles)

Fuck Smokeless Powder too, amirite?

Hang on, let me go load up my blunderbuss, bbiaf.....

This has been done here a million times, but in short, they hold no significant advantages over gasoline but have many drawbacks, especially here in northern climates where they are nothing more than a summer vehicle.  But muh 0-60, amirite?

I guess I didn't get the memo because we drove ours all last winter even in the ice and snow with no problems.  Handled better in the ice and snow than my 4x4 F-150 by far and frankly better than any other car I've ever owned.

It's not like it's going to disintegrate when it touches snow.  The problem are the severe cold weather imitations which require owners to have secondary vehicles....like your F150.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

BoomerBlamer, yeah, definitely blame the boomers.  It's all about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of these anti-EV takes are literally like virgins talking about sex. Breaking that second wall doe!

I'm sure there will be more boomers here who have never owned or driven an EV to tell you all about what your EV can and can't do though...

BoomerBlamer, yeah, definitely blame the boomers.  It's all about them.

When one can't argue facts, they almost always resort to some form of slander.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Now picture an employee parking lot in Minnesota on a -20F day.  Lithium ion batteries can't charge below 32F.  Nobody here seems to care about this, but they can't and it's a big problem.  In order to charge them at temperatures below 32F, the batteries must be heated, either by a resistive element or shunting power to the drive wheels which generates heat internally to the battery.  Both processes are incredibly inefficient and require a huge amount of power...as much as 10kW on some Tesla models!  That is on top of the power to charge the battery.
View Quote

Yeah, that's not good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now picture an employee parking lot in Minnesota on a -20F day.  Lithium ion batteries can't charge below 32F.  Nobody here seems to care about this, but they can't and it's a big problem.  In order to charge them at temperatures below 32F, the batteries must be heated, either by a resistive element or shunting power to the drive wheels which generates heat internally to the battery.  Both processes are incredibly inefficient and require a huge amount of power...as much as 10kW on some Tesla models!  That is on top of the power to charge the battery.

Yeah, that's not good.

<<<<Wait.........you CANNOT charge a lithium battery if it is below freezing!!??
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know it's already been mentioned, but I can't imagine the amp draw from having an all electric parking lot with all the employees plugging all their electric vehicles in at work all at the same time plus all the surrounding companies employees doing the same at the same time of day!

Then, if and when we get faster charging batteries, the amp draw will go up even more!

There would have to be limits on how fast the cars would be allowed to charge.  Some sort of smart controller for every company's entire parking lot.  It still would be a large draw on the electrical grid if all the cars are plugged in at 7 or 8 am on a cold day in winter when everyone's house at home is also running on backup heat strips.

View Quote

Texas got a glimpse of this in February, for those neighborhoods that were all electric.  The local T&D company had numerous equipment failures due to load.  

Fundamentally as others have said behaviors and design thinking have to change.  Currently the people who don't understand the issue just assume we'll replace gas stations with electric charging stations....it's not that simple.   This is where micro grids have to be seriously considered and implemented because it's not just generation it's grid constraint issues that need to be addressed. A move to a mix of centralized and de-centralized electric infrastructure is more realistic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read this as "Four in Five Electric Car Owners in California Didn't Switch Back to Gas-Powered"
View Quote

Lol exactly how I read it. Then you read on to see that the vast majority of that 1 in 5 who switched back, did so because they were unable to charge the car where they live (renters.)

Seems like most early adopters are happy with the technology.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Pelosi's have their fingers into that company too, so I'm hoping there's something big in the works in the next few years as far as government corruption and handing out contracts goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big time bomb is going to be the resale value of EVs. My prediction is it is going to be shit. When the batteries are done, the replacement cost is going to exceed the value of the vehicle in many cases. Adam Smith's 'invisible hand' is about to bitch slap the EV world.

I think there is going to have to be both a secondary trade in market, and salvage operations by manufacturers, so you either sell your vehicle to a parts company that salvages it for the used market, or you trade it in when you upgrade and they recycle everything they can off it, including harvesting usable lithium (or whatever they will use eventually) from the old pack.

Recycling is nasty and from my understanding a dirtier process than manufacturing the batteries.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't they just put a solar panel on the roof and hood?  And a wind turbine for when it's being driven?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How's the charge/distance change in the winter with heat in the car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's the charge/distance change in the winter with heat in the car?

About 70% of what it is in the summer.  We were at about 250 miles of usable range instead of the EPA range of 373 miles.

It never was a problem and not even something we had to plan around.  We just don't have the occasion to drive that car more than 250 miles in a single day.  I don't recall it even getting below 100 miles of remaining range at any point ever.

I've said it in other posts, if one of your needs is to regularly make long drives out of state, then EVs don't fit that bill.  It's not the right vehicle.  No different than buying a Honda accord and intending to use it as a tow vehicle for your boat.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<<<<Wait.........you CANNOT charge a lithium battery if it is below freezing!!??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not good.

Nope
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Texas got a glimpse of this in February, for those neighborhoods that were all electric.  The local T&D company had numerous equipment failures due to load.  

Fundamentally as others have said behaviors and design thinking have to change.  Currently the people who don't understand the issue just assume we'll replace gas stations with electric charging stations....it's not that simple.   This is where micro grids have to be seriously considered and implemented because it's not just generation it's grid constraint issues that need to be addressed. A move to a mix of centralized and de-centralized electric infrastructure is more realistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know it's already been mentioned, but I can't imagine the amp draw from having an all electric parking lot with all the employees plugging all their electric vehicles in at work all at the same time plus all the surrounding companies employees doing the same at the same time of day!

Then, if and when we get faster charging batteries, the amp draw will go up even more!

There would have to be limits on how fast the cars would be allowed to charge.  Some sort of smart controller for every company's entire parking lot.  It still would be a large draw on the electrical grid if all the cars are plugged in at 7 or 8 am on a cold day in winter when everyone's house at home is also running on backup heat strips.

It's closed minded people that are angry about change that make the silliest arguments. There is no need to eventually replace all gas stations with 'EV charging station.' EV owners charge their batteries in their driveway whenever its convenient for them. The                      practice of driving until you're empty, then going down the road to a specific location to fill up, will be obsolete.

Tesla is already offering a solar panel for the cyber truck that will get most commuters enough energy for a day. The notion that anyone can possibly know the energy requirements for EV vehicles 10 years from now, based on ICE vehicles today, is just silly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is why EVs are inevitable, in one graph;

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/li-ion-battery-price.001.png

Costs are headed to <$60/KWh by the middle of the decade.

No amount of low-IQ boomer takes will counteract it.

Just to put those cost declines into perspective, here is how much an 85KWh battery pack would cost each year with those prices:

2010: $101,235
2011: $78,540
2012: $61,710
2013: $51,680
2014: $50,320
2015: $32,640
2016: $25,075
2017: $18,785
2018: $15,385
2019: $13,345
2020: $11,645
~~
2025: $5,100
View Quote

Reposted for posterity, we may not be at the tipping point now, but it’s inevitable, even in red states without subsidies.
if an electric can’t do it, people will use gas until the tech improves.  hydrogen in this scenario is at best, a short lived waste of time and effort
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Like a Porsche, an EV can’t be your only car. Need a backup for when you forgot to charge it, or if you’re headed on a road trip.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not like it's going to disintegrate when it touches snow.  The problem are the severe cold weather imitations which require owners to have secondary vehicles....like your F150.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FEV

(Fuck Electric Vehicles)

This has been done here a million times, but in short, they hold no significant advantages over gasoline but have many drawbacks, especially here in northern climates where they are nothing more than a summer vehicle.  But muh 0-60, amirite?

I think you are missing my point.  It's not the severe cold that causes me to own an F-150.  The Tesla never had a problem at any temperature last winter.  It was a complete non-factor.  I never even had to think about it.  

I own an F-150 because a Tesla isn't a suitable tow vehicle for a boat and they lack a truck bed for hauling stuff.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Like a Porsche, an EV can’t be your only car. Need a backup for when you forgot to charge it, or if you’re headed on a road trip.
View Quote

Do you also suggest keeping a backup car for when you forget to put gas? Or only for when you are trying to make dumb arguments?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, and you also can't charge them if they are too hot (around 115°F I believe). Outside those ranges the battery has to be heated or cooled to charge. Remember that charging the battery heats it so in hot climates you are using energy to charge and cool the battery.

An example you may have noticed: Power tool chargers have a hot/cold delay light that comes on and lets you know it can't charge the battery yet. Some of the fast chargers have fans built in. Of course the charging setup on an EV is way more complex than that of a cordless drill, but ultimately the battery technology is very similar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you are missing my point.  It's not the severe cold that causes me to own an F-150.  The Tesla never had a problem at any temperature last winter.  It was a complete non-factor.  I never even had to think about it.  

I own an F-150 because a Tesla isn't a suitable tow vehicle for a boat and they lack a truck bed for hauling stuff.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FEV

(Fuck Electric Vehicles)

I don't think he is missing any point. Some people here genuinely think that you have to own a "backup" vehicle, because you fill one up at home and the other one has to be driven to a gas station to be filled.

You get he strangest arguments in EV threads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not good.

Nope

Lithium battery - No

EV - Yes
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody cares because it's rarely a constraint.

So what if my car draws power from the grid to heat the battery before charging?  Why do I care?

If it was a big problem, it'd translate into a big complaint from EV owners.  I've never heard anyone bitch about that and it's certainly not something that even crossed my mind last winter.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read this as "Four in Five Electric Car Owners in California Didn't Switch Back to Gas-Powered"
View Quote

And 70% of the ones that did didn't have a level 2 charger at home.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you also suggest keeping a backup car for when you forget to put gas? Or only for when you are trying to make dumb arguments?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, it wouldn't hurt.  Why do you think some people have a 3 car garage and only one wife?

Modern problems require modern solutions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't think he is missing any point. Some people here genuinely think that you have to own a "backup" vehicle, because you fill one up at home and the other one has to be driven to a gas station to be filled.

View Quote

I guess it depends on where you go when you travel. If you stay on the Interstate in populated areas, then you can probably get by on all electric, especially on the east and west coast.

If, on the other hand, you don't like people and plan your trips to be as far away from them as possible, then a gas vehicle is needed for now unless you want to rent a car every time you travel. Plug in hybrids could be a good compromise for this kind of driving.

If you never travel then an EV should work fine if you can charge it at home.

Now regarding the government forcing them on us, fuck that and this only serves to push me away from EVs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on where you go when you travel. If you stay on the Interstate in populated areas, then you can probably get by on all electric, especially on the east and west coast.

If, on the other hand, you don't like people and plan your trips to be as far away from them as possible, then a gas vehicle is needed for now unless you want to rent a car every time you travel. Plug in hybrids could be a good compromise for this kind of driving.

Now regarding the government forcing them on us, fuck that and this only serves to push me away from EVs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are talking about a scenario that effects such a small percentage of people, for such a small percentage of their life. Arguing against EV's because someone might want to take a family vacation out into the wilderness once or twice a year, just shows that there aren't many valid arguments against EV's.

For 99% of driving, for 90% of the population, EV's are just fine. People here are just grasping at straws.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ehh. Typically in EV threads several people suggest having a gas vehicle as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

About 99% of car trips are easy in an EV. That 1% is different and a range extending generator might come in handy.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nobody cares because it's rarely a constraint.

So what if my car draws power from the grid to heat the battery before charging?  Why do I care?

If it was a big problem, it'd translate into a big complaint from EV owners.  I've never heard anyone bitch about that and it's certainly not something that even crossed my mind last winter.

View Quote
The bigger problem is heating inside the vehicle.

At least with a hybrid there's a gas engine for that too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pointing out the obvious is not a "dumb argument". Many people have multiple vehicles for particular uses. If you only have/want/can afford one vehicle that's fine, you do you.

A Porsche is not a good tow vehicle for large/heavy trailers
An RV is not a good commuter car.
A tractor is not a good grocery getter.
A semi is not practical to pick kids up from school

Why does someone having a choice as to what kind of vehicle/s they own anger you so much?

What happened to GD's motto of "get both"?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The bigger problem is heating inside the vehicle.

At least with a hybrid there's a gas engine for that too.
View Quote

Most vehicle heating in an EV uses a heat pump. If it is really cold then you might need resistance heat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most vehicle heating in an EV uses a heat pump. If it is really cold then you might need resistance heat.
View Quote

Where does the heat come from if not from resistance generated heat?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Where does the heat come from if not from resistance generated heat?
View Quote

Most of the time, a heat pump, which can generate several KW of heat per KW of electricity.

Here is Sandy Munro tearing down the Octovalve thermal management system for the Tesla Model Y

Model Y E36: The Octovalve Episode
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most of the time, a heat pump, which can generate several KW of heat per KW of electricity.

Here is Sandy Munro tearing down the Octovalve thermal management system for the Tesla Model Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGffUODWWSE
View Quote

Not familiar with it, it does draw from the battery?....edit... Air conditioner in reverse, very cool ,would draw from the batt., but not near as much as resistive heating
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can't they just put a solar panel on the roof and hood?  And a wind turbine for when it's being driven?  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So 2011.

Prius.

The new Toyota bZ line will have a better executed PV installation.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#35]
What is EVERY bratty teenager going to do to an electric car hooked up to a charging station?  Unplug it.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/6FDC2ED4-18D7-4BFA-90B3-AC1C6ABB79A9_jpe-1933329.JPG

So 2011.

Prius.

View Quote

That's actually pretty cool and well protected
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Yea the rav4 prime has a heat pump. But it routinely gets colder than it's rated to work at. So it is something that's a concern for a bit of the US.

I have no problem primarily using the gas engine those days though. Just as my car now does.

How much does resistive heating kill range?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What is EVERY bratty teenager going to do to an electric car hooked up to a charging station?  Unplug it.  
View Quote

As long as the like being on a camera...
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yea the rav4 prime has a heat pump. But it routinely gets colder than it's rated to work at. So it is something that's a concern for a bit of the US.

I have no problem primarily using the gas engine those days though. Just as my car now does.

View Quote

30% in my experience give or take.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not familiar with it, it does draw from the battery?
View Quote
Yea. Heat pumps are somewhat common in homes too.

It's basically an AC unit that can also be run in reverse. Instead of moving heat from inside and moving it outside. It can take heat from outside and move it inside.

The problem is when it's so cold there isn't enough heat outside to move inside.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not insignificant...
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tesla's lock the cable into the charge port, when the driver shows up with the key fob it unlocks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/6FDC2ED4-18D7-4BFA-90B3-AC1C6ABB79A9_jpe-1933329.JPG

So 2011.

Prius.

Panasonic's done a lot of work on vehicle solar - Tesla has some involvement. I don't follow Tesla much but someone here will have knowledge.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#44]
My dryer 240 outlet (laundry room) is about 10 feet away from the rear wall in my garage.  Its an easy fish to the rear garage wall. How much to have a qualified electrician install an outlet for L2 charging?

Or does L2 need a dedicated circuit?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yea. Heat pumps are somewhat common in homes too.

It's basically an AC unit that can also be run in reverse. Instead of moving heat from inside and moving it outside. It can take heat from outside and move it inside.

The problem is when it's so cold there isn't enough heat outside to move inside.
View Quote

Just looked it up, edited my question, very cool bit of tech
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nope
View Quote

The charger runs a heater inside the battery pack so that it can charge.

I’ve done it in 0°F weather.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My dryer 240 outlet (laundry room) is about 10 feet away from the rear wall in my garage.  Its an easy fish to the rear garage wall. How much to have a qualified electrician install an outlet for L2 charging?

View Quote
It'll probably work. I've seen devices that allow easy switching between your dryer or charger.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just looked it up, edited my question, very cool bit of tech
View Quote

P1 | Tesla Model Y Thermal management system with OCTOVALVE ?? & HEATPUMP | Working in Detail
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure code won’t let you branch off of that dryer circuit.

I’d run a dedicated 50A circuit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not familiar with it, it does draw from the battery?....edit... Air conditioner in reverse, very cool ,would draw from the batt., but not near as much as resistive heating
View Quote

No offense, but did you just find out what a heat pump is? You know you can heat your house and your hot water with them as well, right?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top