[#1]
Ain’t even a meme

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've definitely noticed that phenomena here in the other thread.  Everyone there is smarter and a better engineer and a just plain better person than that guy was.

I'm pretty sure by the end of the day they will find out he was literally Satan, dragging his unknowing and helpless passengers down to hell
View Quote

He was a scumbag of immeasurable proportions killing others like that by his actions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
these people would suffer psychotic breaks and commit suicide if they had ever been in a COD Modern Warfare lobby in the mid 2000's.

View Quote

Lulz
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A composite carbon fiber deep submersible is kinda new territory, besides interval inspections and pressure testing what would’ve told them this would fail and at what moment?  Could active lifespan of the polymers even be gauged?
View Quote

Not by 20 year old recent engineering grads, apparently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A composite carbon fiber deep submersible is kinda new territory, besides interval inspections and pressure testing what would’ve told them this would fail and at what moment?  Could active lifespan of the polymers even be gauged?
View Quote

I haven’t heard of them doing any significant testing. Just collecting the empirical data necessary to develop the material allowables would probably cost more than their entire operation.

Then there’s the full scale testing that should have been done. You don’t bring one specimen up to limit load once and call it good.

Sadly none of them probably knew any better. I’m not convinced he was a greedy bastard, maybe just ignorant and inexperienced.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's pretty well-known that the water is turbid and murky around the wreck, so you can't see shit until you get close to it and then only a small section of it at a time. Juice not worth the squeeze IMO.

==========

What's the last thing Christa McAuliffe said before the shuttle exploded?
"What's this button for?"

What's the last thing that went through Christa McAuliffe's head as the shuttle exploded?
A piece of the shuttle's cargo bay doors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There’s been a lot of tasteless memes in regard to this missing sub….how can people sink so low?
View Quote

It is easy.  Live long enough and you will understand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
these people would suffer psychotic breaks and commit suicide if they had ever been in a COD Modern Warfare lobby in the mid 2000's.

View Quote

They would throw us in GITMO and charge us with war crimes for some of the shit said around 2006-12
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Pressure cycles are a thing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
(Save these for your buddies around the campfire. ~Subnet. )
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I haven’t heard of them doing any significant testing. Just collecting the empirical data necessary to develop the material allowables would probably cost more than their entire operation.

Then there’s the full scale testing that should have been done. You don’t bring one specimen up to limit load once and call it good.

Sadly none of them probably knew any better. I’m not convinced he was a greedy bastard, maybe just ignorant and inexperienced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People need to stop with that BS.  The company was warned, and the warnings were ignored.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
This ordeal certainly reveals the incredible depth of human depravity.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it's pretty well-known that the water is turbid and murky around the wreck, so you can't see shit until you get close to it and then only a small section of it at a time. Juice not worth the squeeze IMO.

==========

What's the last thing Christa McAuliffe said before the shuttle exploded?
"What's this button for?"

What's the last thing that went through Christa McAuliffe's head as the shuttle exploded?
A piece of the shuttle's cargo bay doors.
View Quote

Just before the Titan imploded, what's the last thing the US Navy picked up on their listening devices?

Creaking and groaning of submersible followed by 'WHAT THE FUCK IS THA...!!!'
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
“Cultural observers” probably think a man can have a period, a woman can get a man pregnant and a child can consent to sex with a perverted demon dressed in drag too
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always miss the good stuff.

Schadenfreude is often the basis of comedy.  While the event was tragic, let's not deny human nature to laugh at the misfortune of others.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where do you think the term Darwin Award comes from? People have been using dark humor around people dieing from incredibly stupid means for thousands of years.
View Quote

All kinds of things:
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#18]
While there's some aspects of the CEO that can be mocked, the loss of life doing a risky activity isn't one of them. The thing I find sad is the 3 other paying customers were duped by someone that obviously cut corners and increased risks greatly. The one son that was on the trip, I feel for him the most as he had his entire life ahead of him and he was let down by his father's lack of due diligence. If the one cinematographer had the sense to backup, someone that could afford half a mil should've had someone investigate it.

There's always going to be second guessing into any risky endeavor but likely this clown show pushed back deepsea exploration quite a ways as financial backers will be apprehensive. At least their demise was rapid and likely painless.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sharing on a mass and immediate scale is the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

But why does the internet bring out the worst in people?  Anonymity I suppose.  It is weird they people are such dicks though given a platform and a bit of anonymity.

So you’re saying people have always been dicks, we just get to see it now because they have a platform to share at scale?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Absolutely.

But why does the internet bring out the worst in people?  Anonymity I suppose.  It is weird they people are such dicks though given a platform and a bit of anonymity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Like a digital Tower of Babel, social media is evolving into an increasingly ugly and chaotic space   a real-time repository for our worst impulses, uninspired musings, scatalogical humor and ill-formed thoughts that should be kept to ourselves," Los Angeles Times staff writer Jessica Gelt noted. It is an online Mall of America: vast, vacuous, relentlessly commercial and soul-sucking. And in a time of immense crisis   political, ecological, social   it has become a garbage dump of vile commentary publicly aired because that's just what we do now."
First time on the Internet, Jessica?

This ain't even close to a new phenomenon.

Absolutely.

I'd say all 14542 of my posts to face to face. Even the one that got my account locked.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I never feel sorry for people who:
- "freeclimbers" who fall to their deaths when they have nothing to hang onto
- "skydivers" who fall to their deaths when their chute doesn't open
- "bungie jumpers" who fall to their deaths - for any reason
- "explorers" who either freeze to death, die of heat stroke, or drown in the ocean

Rich shits who do stupid stuff win stupid prizes these days. They are not bold, they are entitled and do things to put them in harms way w/o understanding the risks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Schadenfreude is often the basis of comedy.  While the event was tragic, let's not deny human nature to laugh at the misfortune of others.
View Quote

Naw thinking about it, that was probably going too far. My bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So you’re saying people have always been dicks, we just get to see it now because they have a platform to share at scale?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Of course. Just like there have always been murders, but 100 years ago you wouldn't know about the mundane murders on the other side of the country. Info didn't travel that fast or that far.

Add in the increase in human population and even the mundane happens more frequently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Of course. Just like there have always been murders, but 100 years ago you wouldn't know about the mundane murders on the other side of the country. Info didn't travel that fast or that far.

Add in the increase in human population and even the mundane happens more frequently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

Yeah, sorry, I don’t mean a “few” people.

Is it a vocal minority?  Or are people just generally shitty?  Big difference.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#26]
They are being mocked because anyone with common sense can look at this and see it was stupid.

A military sub, a research sub, a tourist sub down in the islands, yeah I wouldn't make fun of that, I would feel bad for the people. But, this was so epically fucking stupid that it is baffling.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why is there such a thing as a cultural observer?
View Quote

Just another name for a "social scientist." You know....sociologists, anthropologists, nosey neighbors, etc
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Were "cultural observers" sickened by what ordinary people, medical personnel, and political figures turned into from 2020-23?

Didn't think so.

"Literally Hitler" has no meaning.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a Jew joke...which is a serious offense around here from what ive seen.

Make fun of Christianity all you want though apparently.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I feel for the families that have to suffer, but stupidity should be mocked.
View Quote
What I'm seeing a lot of is, "Fuck them, they're rich, they should die." It's a lot of really vile class envy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#31]
So she compares social media to the Mall of America?
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Arfcom is plumbing the depths in trying to find humor in a fractious event.
View Quote

We will squeeze every last joke we can out of it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What I'm seeing a lot of is, "Fuck them, they're rich, they should die." It's a lot of really vile class envy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel for the families that have to suffer, but stupidity should be mocked.

Yep, what people don’t understand is that even middle class Americans are rich compared to someone.  It’s all relative.

So you can’t really condone “eat the rich” without also being eaten.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The MSM is at fault here. They were pressured to dive deep into the story but failed to latch onto the facts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#35]
They’d be shocked at the jobs the public deems noble- healthcare, law enforcement, firefighters, military… the dark humor is a coping mechanism
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Humans are terrible and evil and most have the empathy of a sociopath, it's not exactly breaking news. All will be held to account.
View Quote

That's exactly what Klaus Schwab and Larry Fink think. Normies must die!
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he knew better than people with skill, credentials and experience. Thats pretty Karen. And he has no accountabilty- now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What did Christa McAuliffe use to wash her hair?

Well, they found her Head & Shoulders on the beach.

Christa McAuliffe use to teach science. Now, she's in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess they missed the jokes about the Challenger. I was in grade school and remember almost immediately afterwards things like: What were the last words heard? "What's this red button do?"

Now, wishing people to die and saying things like so and so should have been in the sub is not great.

But joking about what happened is normal.

NASA

Need Another Seven Astronauts

What did Christa McAuliffe use to wash her hair?

Well, they found her Head & Shoulders on the beach.

Christa McAuliffe use to teach science. Now, she's in history.

What was the last thing Christa McAuliffe said to her husband?

"You feed the dog, I'll feed the fish."
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s been a lot of tasteless memes in regard to this missing sub….how can people sink so low?

If you stare into abyss long enough, it will stare back at you. Just laugh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
While there's some aspects of the CEO that can be mocked, the loss of life doing a risky activity isn't one of them. The thing I find sad is the 3 other paying customers were duped by someone that obviously cut corners and increased risks greatly. The one son that was on the trip, I feel for him the most as he had his entire life ahead of him and he was let down by his father's lack of due diligence. If the one cinematographer had the sense to backup, someone that could afford half a mil should've had someone investigate it.

There's always going to be second guessing into any risky endeavor but likely this clown show pushed back deepsea exploration quite a ways as financial backers will be apprehensive. At least their demise was rapid and likely painless.
View Quote

Mission specialists. Should have known better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep, what people don’t understand is that even middle class Americans are rich compared to someone.  It’s all relative.

So you can’t really condone “eat the rich” without also being eaten.
View Quote

This. I'm not rich. But I've been called rich by those who have less than I. In high school we called the preppy kids "rich" but they were really just upper-middle class, and the rest of us were lower-middle class.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Hrm.
There isn't enough shame in the world.   People are now proud to do stupid and dangerous things.

Mockery is a form of shaming. Therefore I approve of the mockery.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I am just a layman and not a seaologist, but it seems pretty clear that once the implosion happened, they should have just held their breath and swam into the Titanic to find a trapped air pocket.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#44]
What if the mockery was fiery but mostly peaceful.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

IMO, a combo of easier to share and know of human nature, due to the ease and speed of communication(which has "shrunk" the world in a social connections sense) and a massive increase in the population.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Just a casual observation but those that seem to gleefully take part of it at any chance that they can get, are either living in a high stressful job and need a way to vent out to feel better about themselves or are living shitty lives and need an escape to mock at the unfortune of others. Sometimes we get to see those shitty or stressful lives being lived because they're going to inevitably post about on here or in team asking for privacy but have no issues with the public seeing them mocking dead people here in GD.

Hopefully no one will come in here telling me I am wrong, that happens to also be one of the above so I can remind them that they are incorrect and then remind them of the threads they've made posting their woes

Then there are actual communists who like the ACAB'er twits, will say the eat the rich edge lord because they are inhuman POS's and should be fed to something in minecraft, of course.

However I agree that being deliberately stupid should be mocked but at those who really didn't know any better or not even their fault, is where I draw the line.

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!  That is true.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Two years ago, cause of death would have been covid.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Two years ago, cause of death would have been covid.
View Quote

What makes you think that it is still not covid
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just a casual observation but those that seem to gleefully take part of it at any chance that they can get, are either living in a high stressful job and need a way to vent out to feel better about themselves or are living shitty lives and need an escape to mock at the unfortune of others. Sometimes we get to see those shitty or stressful lives being lived because they're going to inevitably post about on here or in team asking for privacy but have no issues with the public seeing them mocking dead people here in GD.

View Quote

This could be true, and perhaps some selection bias.  Meaning, unhappy people are more likely to be online than spending quality time in the real world.

<<< notes my own 20,000 posts and wonders if there is a need for some self reflection
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top