User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think he was stupid, I heard he was the youngest licencened commercial pilot ever @ 19.. can't remember what carrier he was flying with, I think it was foreign, Canadian possibly.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

He wasn’t “a commercial pilot”. His daddy paid for him to go get a type rating. I guarantee it was with the understanding he wouldn’t try to use it with such low experience. Training centers are on the hook when their graduates go out and kill people.

Big difference between getting a rating and using a rating.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone with a good engineering background and knows the design and principles of filament winding would know this design simply would not work in this application.

Rush had convinced himself he was much smarter than everyone.  He truly believed it or else his ass wouldn’t have been on that sub too.  Classic Dunning-Krueger.

This type of stuff should be mocked and made an example off.  

As for the other guys.  PH should have know better.  Rush must have really sold him on his bullshit.  The other rich guys were used to always writing checks to get their ass out of anything.  That eventually warps your perspective to where they truly believe nothing can happen to them…they’re rich.  

Also the fact they suffered a great tragedy when attempting to rubberneck at someone else's great tragedy is hilariously ironic.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am kind of shocked at the lack of sensitivity and empathy. It's just cruel and shallow and not funny in any sense.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
We need a cultural observer forum.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am kind of shocked at the lack of sensitivity and empathy. It's just cruel and shallow and not funny in any sense.

YES they were dumb as a pile of rocks. I got that. Yeah, there was multiple levels of failure from everyone involved, I get that.

Keep in mind though NONE of us are immune from colossal stupidity and failure.  And unless you are God, you will likely screw up in a major way with cherry on top at some point in your life.  I am going to go on a limb here and assume most of us here drive internal combustion engines and fly in heavier than air aircraft. In addition to relying on other complicated machinery during the day.

I think every day you don't get

I feel sorry for them.   Even stupid people deserve empathy and support.  Stupidity is not a sin.
View Quote
This wasnt stupidity, it was pride and greed and hubris and unchecked ego.

Those are sins.

The biggest sin was taking truely innocent people along.  Manipulating them to get the money.  Telling them it was as safe as crossing the street.  AFTER the collective community of experts in the field told you it wasn't safe, formally, via letter and AFTER you fired your own employee that said the same thing.

I respect your instinct for compassion, you are undoubtedly a good person, but sometimes you have to be brutally honest to serve a greater good.  

Rush killed people, with his ego and greed. He should be remembered for it, so that others don't repeat his mistakes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
curious what the advantage to a carbon fiber / Ti hull to a straight stainless steel-hulled vessel ?

can't be any cheaper, I suppose lighter,
View Quote

Probably greener than Stainless…

Inspired design.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
curious what the advantage to a carbon fiber / Ti hull to a straight stainless steel-hulled vessel ?

can't be any cheaper, I suppose lighter,
View Quote

It's because CF is light enough for the sub to maintain natural bouyancy.

Metal hulls are heavy enough that the sub can't raise itself without using an expensive crush-proof foam in its construction to have enough bouyancy to bring itself back up to the surface.

It is yet another example of Rush cutting corners and trying to save money by going outside the normal accepted design and engineering standards of deep sea submersibles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably greener than Stainless

Inspired design.
View Quote
They recycle stainless.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/online-mockery-titanic-submersible-leaves-cultural-observers-sickened-garbage-dump-vile-commentary

" Los Angeles Times staff writer Jessica Gelt noted. It is an online Mall of America: vast, vacuous, relentlessly commercial and soul-sucking. And in a time of immense crisis — political, ecological, social — it has become a garbage dump of vile commentary publicly aired because that’s just what we do now."

it was still a sad reflection to some cultural observers about modern humanity.

View Quote

Hey Jessica, you and your colleagues are responsible. You've condoned it for a long time and now turn a blind eye to everything else.

6 uber rich guys in a sub who imploded themselves don't mean shit to us.

Everything else is clown world.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
All I know is I am a diver, and they could not have paid me 250,000 to take that trip.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The left is comprised of shit people who are consumed with envy and hate.
To them it is OK to hate White people, men, rich people, Christians, conservatives, unvaccinated, etc...

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember the Futuram where they go find the lost city of Atlanta?

Can withstand somewhere between 0 and 1
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Remember the Futuram where they go find the lost city of Atlanta?

Can withstand somewhere between 0 and 1
View Quote
Probably cited in the engineering proposal as testing.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top