Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive been waiting all year for this weather.
View Quote

Oops, you must be a MAN! What you doin in tehas?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the thread title and thought thank goodness.

What a shieetwhole to live in.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposed to be 10 Thursday night here. At least no precip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do not attempt to flee north of the Red River.
View Quote

That's a fair warning.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Notice no one ever starts threads about Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, no one secretly dreams about being from those states, and unlike the women of WI, MI, and MN the women of Texas never lay lonely and unsatisfied in bed dreaming about being with men from those states.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We had 5°F here 2 years ago in Austin. So I know my house is good down to at least 5°F. I am not concerned.
View Quote
Hello fellow Austinite.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We’re all gunna die guys. Fucking 20? Wtf.

Let’s take over Mexico so we don’t have to do this anymore.
View Quote

MO checking in. You guys will he fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oops, you must be a MAN! What you doin in tehas?
View Quote

You finally found one!

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ex Texican here, have several inches of snow on the ground and it is snowing again. Supposed to get down below zero on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not going to die from the cold weather. Got a very healthy layer of blubber to keep me warm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Notice no one ever starts threads about Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, no one secretly dreams about being from those states, and unlike the women of WI, MI, and MN the women of Texas never lay lonely and unsatisfied in bed dreaming about being with men from those states.  

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Crazy people in large pickup trucks come out of the wood work in inclement weather.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We’re all gunna die guys. Fucking 20? Wtf.

Let’s take over Mexico so we don’t have to do this anymore.
View Quote

20°F?

Seriously? You crying over Twenty degrees ABOVE zero?

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
What if I was BORN in Texas?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
After the last Texas winter fiasco, I'd hope most of y'all would be prepared for this.

I'm hoping we get dumped on up here in Ohio, but we'll probably only get rain that turns to ice followed by an inch or two snow.  Booor-ring.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I just moved here too
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, the weather hysteria is changing, forecast now has only one night down to 17 degrees rather than three. Every daytime temp is over freezing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Southern Oklahoma thread.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Spent the day buying supplies so my barn cats don’t freeze and replacing light bulbs in the well house.  I’m ready…I think.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'll break out the long pants.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Crazy people in large pickup trucks come out of the wood work in inclement weather.
View Quote

Four Wheel Drive definitely helps you GO in on the snow, but not so much for TURNs or STOP on the ice.

"Texans Driving on Ice" could be a hilarious comedy reel
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Its low 40's in CenTX right now. Shit sucks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The City of Austin is absolutely shitting themselves over this, at least my dept is. Last year they were offering to come pick us up and bring us to work, but you had to stay there all week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Where is Texas?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where is Texas?
View Quote

Shut your whore mouth
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Bless your heart...
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Tennessee will be thinking of Texas.

As we also plunge to 1°.

South ain’t built for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Gearing up for potentially busy couple days fixing well systems.

Frozen top side stuff not a big deal.. frozen top side stuff with downhole pump running… big fucking deal. Pump keeps spinning and water has nowhere to go. Pump boils water, melts drop pipe and maybe even the casing.

If your above ground pipes freeze, shut your pump off until they thaw!
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm actually headed home to Amarillo from my work rotation in Denver on Friday.

Got a weather alert today stating "Dangerous Wind Chill" -50° possible wind-chill in this area for Wed-Fri.

Now I climb cell towers....outside....in the cold, but I told my foreman, "Bro we better have some shelter work on Thursday because I'm not gonna be a popsicle before I go home."
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#32]
One is my location in TX. The other is my home in Michigan. I'm still wearing short sleeves to work down here, but might break out a jacket by Friday.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

GET OUT! READ THE TITLE!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I knew it - y'all are secretly gay and whining about some cool weather real men deal with all the time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where is Texas?
View Quote

In the real United States. Unlike Hawaii and that place russia sold some time back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Texans and Californians deserve each other
View Quote

Opposites attract.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Supposed to be 10 Thursday night here. At least no precip.
View Quote

Possible -10 windchill Fri. morning outside of Austin with 40 mile wind gust.

That will freeze your ears off smooth with your head.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well, the weather hysteria is changing, forecast now has only one night down to 17 degrees rather than three. Every daytime temp is over freezing.
View Quote

Oh really. KXAN online is hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gearing up for potentially busy couple days fixing well systems.

Frozen top side stuff not a big deal.. frozen top side stuff with downhole pump running… big fucking deal. Pump keeps spinning and water has nowhere to go. Pump boils water, melts drop pipe and maybe even the casing.

If your above ground pipes freeze, shut your pump off until they thaw!
View Quote

I'm turning my pressure tank off Thurs. afternoon and draining my pipes. I'll turn it back on Sun. and hopefully no surprises.

It will be a dry camp this Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The City of Austin is absolutely shitting themselves over this, at least my dept is. Last year they were offering to come pick us up and bring us to work, but you had to stay there all week.
View Quote

I bet you have a girl for a department manager.

The coldest day will be Friday where the low is 17*, then it warms up to a low of 41* and a high of 70* by week later.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm actually headed home to Amarillo from my work rotation in Denver on Friday.

Got a weather alert today stating "Dangerous Wind Chill" -50° possible wind-chill in this area for Wed-Fri.

Now I climb cell towers....outside....in the cold, but I told my foreman, "Bro we better have some shelter work on Thursday because I'm not gonna be a popsicle before I go home."
View Quote

No eff'g way. A man will get frosbite just standing outside.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Oh, you folks will be alright. Last time i was in the home state, i cruised the leading edge of an ice storm after exiting Lawton, OK. Just jumped in behind a sand truck for the worst of it. I did have to bail into a diner in Bowie to break the clumped ice off my winshield wipers.  Then hit the road again.

When i was a kid in Bandera, me and the brothers climbed to the top of a big hill called Polly's Peak after the area iced up. Did that just to check the view for fun.

Texans get all pussified or something?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I knew it - y'all are secretly gay and whining about some cool weather real men deal with all the time.
View Quote

Secretly?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#44]
All kidding aside, this isn’t going to be fun for the Deep South. Going into the teens with high winds will push cold air into your houses. The demand for more heat will drive the power needs up causing blackouts. The cold will find pipes too. HUGE difference between 16f and mild wind and 16f with bad winds. It penetrates everything.

Leaving water running can work but it only protects the pipes it’s running through.  You’d have to run everything to protect all lines. Running your kitchen faucet doesnt protect wall hydrants or icemaker lines. Use your head and know your plumbing. As a plumber and having an ideal how southern houses are built, this windy cold air is going to be a pipe burst bonanza down south. That and power grid tester. I mean we’re not safe here, we will be close to zero with those damaging winds too. We do build for 4 seasons here so that helps. The Florida pan handle is screwed. But it’s texas that has the isolated power grid that puts them at the top. Its going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Houston will break Friday.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I bet you have a girl for a department manager.

The coldest day will be Friday where the low is 17*, then it warms up to a low of 41* and a high of 70* by week later.
View Quote

That I do, but we are also responsible for all the city emergency vehicles. It was a shitshow last time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
None of mine burst during the big freeze and blackout a couple years ago, but they're all PEX. They did freeze eventually, but it took almost 3 days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All kidding aside, this isn't going to be fun for the Deep South. Going into the teens with high winds will push cold air into your houses. The demand for more heat will drive the power needs up causing blackouts. The cold will find pipes too. HUGE difference between 16f and mild wind and 16f with bad winds. It penetrates everything.

Leaving water running can work but it only protects the pipes it's running through.  You'd have to run everything to protect all lines. Running your kitchen faucet doesnt protect wall hydrants or icemaker lines. Use your head and know your plumbing. As a plumber and having an ideal how southern houses are built, this windy cold air is going to be a pipe burst bonanza down south. That and power grid tester. I mean we're not safe here, we will be close to zero with those damaging winds too. We do build for 4 seasons here so that helps. The Florida pan handle is screwed. But it's texas that has the isolated power grid that puts them at the top. Its going to be interesting.
None of mine burst during the big freeze and blackout a couple years ago, but they're all PEX. They did freeze eventually, but it took almost 3 days.

This is looking worse.

Pex a will expand but the colder it gets the more likely it will split. I use pex a but when its supper cold it splits when trying to expand it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Y'all Texans are invading my state, I can invade your thread.

And while you're at it- why are so many of you moving here?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Lol.  I finally dug my winter jacket out if the closet today.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top