User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a job interview.
View Quote
What if the job was delivering newspapers?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a job interview.
Newsboy and a flat cap are two different things
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a job interview.
Sounds like something a newspaper delivery guy should know about.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For a job interview.
I regularly wear about 6-7 different types of hats

(ETA: one at a time, funny guy)

(no, I don't own a fedora)

(I used to)

(shut up)
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He failed to remove the hat indoors?
View Quote
Ha! My old man would have swatted it off my head had I failed to remove it indoors.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let's bring back the bowler hat. Nothing looks smarter on a gentleman then a billycock.
View Quote
Especially with a couple of squirrel tails,fox tail or coon tail hanging off one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That hat...they should give you a bowl of soup with that hat...but it looks good on you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would not want one of my employees that represent my company wearing one of these in front of my clients.
View Quote
I'm with OP on this. We had a kid show up for his first day of SHOT Show wearing on of those. We had him remove it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bro hats are up there as well. Cant take anyone seriously with a straight billed ballcap.
View Quote
Ayuup.  At least on a grown man.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
what about hill billy crash helmets?

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad always called them a "wienie roast" hat.  Said they looked like a que*r going to a wienie roast
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I look at it as a being like a turn signal, except instead of indicating the direction they're going to turn it indicates that they're a douchebag. No different than flat billed ball caps and white framed Oakley's. It says everything you need to know without a word spoken.
View Quote
so next shot show I should wear a flat brimmed hat and white oakleys if I want any respect?
check
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If he showed up and then took it off with his coat, I'd overlook it.

If he was wearing it during the interview....  Yeah, going with OP on this one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL, I don't know about the rest of that shit, but pretending that one man shouldn't look another in the eye when conducting business, is some of the most fertile horse shit I've ever read on ARFCOM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*

One of the more noted human responses of highly intelligent people is to avoid eye contact - you have to EARN it with a proven relationship that has no backstabbing or constant aggression to establish dominance. Why? Because that is how they test YOU to see if you are smart enough to recognize it, and respond in kind, parsing the meaning of the spoken word. Not posturing, chest thumping, and blading at 45 to establish rank.
*snip*.
LOL, I don't know about the rest of that shit, but pretending that one man shouldn't look another in the eye when conducting business, is some of the most fertile horse shit I've ever read on ARFCOM
Yeah. I am hiring construction managers not deeb software engineers that dont have to deal with people everyday. I am interview for guys that can take charge and lead- not people that shy away from confrontation and something so simple and important as eye contact.

Lack of eye contact is a sign of  highly intellegent people? I call bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many men here concerned with strange men's attire But don't worry, I won't judge.
This.
Its called proffessional attire.

I dont give a shit about what people wear- unless they are representing me and the company I built.  In the business world, everyone will be judged not only on performance but thier appearance. What they wear, what kinds of tools they have, how well groomed they are, the shoes they wear, what kind of car they drive- how well maintained that vechicle is.

Do you want to pay hundred of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars to build a building to a guy that looks like he just walked off a 1800’s golf course or to a proffessional that doesnt want to be noticed for his “flair” than his performance?

It does matter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I dont give a shit about what people wear- unless they are representing me and the company I built.  In the business world, everyone will be judged not only on performance but thier appearance. What they wear, what kinds of tools they have, how well groomed they are, the shoes they wear, what kind of car they drive- how well maintained that vechicle is.

Do you want to pay hundred of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars to build a building to a guy that looks like he just walked off a 1800’s golf course or to a proffessional that doesnt want to be noticed for his “flair” than his performance?

It does matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many men here concerned with strange men's attire But don't worry, I won't judge.
This.

It does matter.
The shoes they wear? What kind of car they drive and how well they maintain it? Wtf are you high on? Guess it matters to those in the closet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Kangol wool flat cap I stuff in my bag when I go to work (I work nights) when it will be cold in the morning when I leave. Keeps my noggin nice and warm when it's chilly.

I've got a couple of the Kangol Ventair caps that are pretty nice in warmer weather, but I still don't wear them all that much. Thinning hair and wanting to prevent burning my noggin in the sun lead to wanting a good cap. I have some ballcaps... shit, in fact I have too many.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Andy Capp thinks OP is an idiot.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The shoes they wear? What kind of car they drive and how well they maintain it? Wtf are you high on? Guess it matters to those in the closet.
View Quote
Yes. It does.

You want your construction guys wearing air jordans?

You want a guy representing your company to roll into a jobsite with a porshe?

You want a guy that is in charge of a 15 million dollar project to roll up in a beat up chevy with taco bell wrappers all over it?

We interact with clients that decide who to spend money with and who to is going to build them their shit.  Its not grannys kitchen remodel.

You want a Beta o rouke looking dude with a flat cap and a 911 rolling up?

Anyone can BS a resume and qualifications.

Sorry to hurt your feels and individualism.

I want proffesionals representing me.

Of course I am judging job applicants.

How you dress and behave during an interview is an indicator on how serious they are, how they are organised and prepared and their judgement.

All of which is important.

I dont give a shit if they are gay, muslim, or not. Keep that shit out of the workplace.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes. It does.

You want a guy that is in charge of a 15 million dollar project to roll up in a beat up chevy with taco bell wrappers all over it?

We interact with clients that decide who to spend money with and who to is going to build them their shit.  Its not grannys kitchen remodel.

How you dress and behave during an interview is an indicator on how serious they are, how they are organised and prepared and their judgement.

I dont give a shit if they are gay, muslim, or not. Keep that shit out of the workplace.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wear whatever you want old man.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you want to pay hundred of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars to build a building to a guy that looks like he just walked off a 1800's golf course or to a proffessional that doesnt want to be noticed for his "flair" than his performance?

It does matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Do you want to pay hundred of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars to build a building to a guy that looks like he just walked off a 1800's golf course or to a proffessional that doesnt want to be noticed for his "flair" than his performance?

It does matter.
Man, I'm so glad I work in IT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its expected that IT guys wear shorts and shower shoes to work. Most IT dudes are flat brimmers or star wars nerds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Its expected that IT guys wear shorts and shower shoes to work. Most IT dudes are flat brimmers or star wars nerds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm nice enough to wear jeans and boots ('cause you know...Texas?). Today I stepped way out of character, and wore a shirt with a collar.

There are no flat brimmers in IT, unless you're talking about some doofus working on a helpdesk or something. Those guys are white collar janitors, and don't count.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]
OP's all triggered....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes. It does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. It does.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't wear hats unless I'm welding/cutting, but nice try.

There are so many grown men here that concern themselves of the business of others to the point that I think this is morning TV.
View Quote
When you show up for an interview you should have the common sense to both dress and act a certain way.

Dress appropriately
Remove your hat
Don't sit down until the interviewer sits down
Don't lean back in the chair as if you're lounging around
Research the company you're applying for so it shows you actually giver a fuck about the company and job you're applying for.
Don't swear.

If you need any further help with how to act in an interview, I'll be more than happy to help.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah. I am hiring construction managers not deeb software engineers that dont have to deal with people everyday. I am interview for guys that can take charge and lead- not people that shy away from confrontation and something so simple and important as eye contact.

Lack of eye contact is a sign of  highly intellegent people? I call bullshit.
View Quote
Of course it's bullshit.  It's actually a sign of insecurity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Only morons speak in absolutes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
A Flat Cap is extremely useful in that it will fold flat and you can drop it into a top coat pocket to have with you in the event of cold, mist, and rain.  In the event you have to go inside, you can put it back in the pocket.  Since there are no hat checks in restaurants, etc., anymore, the Flat Cap solves the problem of where to put your hat when indoors.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Hipsters, older fellas, and people whom drive for a living.

The hipsters look like douchebags in them, but then again... They always look like that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I wear a drivers cap now and then. The ladies say it looks nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#35]
You wouldn't say that to Charles
fullwidth.0d055597 by
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought this was gonna be a flatbiller thread.

Never seen one of those hats in real life. Like a 1920s newsboy cap.

Quoted:

View Quote
LMAO I work in new balance shoes all the time. Most of my guys do too unless it's concrete or chainsaw fun day. Then it's boots for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#37]
My dad showed up to my house wearing one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
He has been dead for 15 years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My dad showed up to my house wearing one.
View Quote
Old dudes get a pass. Because they old.

Guys trying to look “cool” or european- trying to bro out with me in a job interview.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LMAO I work in new balance shoes all the time. Most of my guys do too unless it's concrete or chainsaw fun day. Then it's boots for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Long pants. Boots. Collared shirts. Work boots- or cowboy boots, and hiking/military boots are the norm.  Hard hats and safety vest.

I dont do single family residential projects.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree with OP.

I can’t take anyone seriously who wears one of those hats.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#42]
OP wears a trilby.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Long pants. Boots. Collared shirts. Work boots- or cowboy boots, and hiking/military boots are the norm.  Hard hats and safety vest.

I dont do single family residential projects.
View Quote
So you don't like driver's caps, but any guy dressed like this is ok?

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Guy at work said his dad always called them cocksucker hats.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I agree with OP.

I can’t take anyone seriously who wears one of those hats.
View Quote
I feel the same way about grown men who wear a backwards or sideways ball cap. You’re not five anymore, so turn the damn thing around or take it off.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
That’s OK, because  I doubt Charles would want to work for him.

Win/win.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Like when you're in a 911 turbo cab....lol. Good for you champ.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you don't like driver's caps, but any guy dressed like this is ok?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OzNgM-n4DzE/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
The construction dude, cowboy, militarty guy, and cop are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Official Ed Roth Rat Fink crash helmets.

Rat Fink used to be big business.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's not wrong.

I worked on power gen & process construction projects for a while.  Our hipster looking designers never understood why they weren't allowed to go on bid proposal trips or site visits with us.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top