Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quite honestly, I don't care if there's a million OD deaths a day from pills. That will thin the herd on those on social security & help wean the numbers of those on disability. Let's face it, if someone is doing enough drugs to OD, then they're not really contributing a GD thing to society anyway, IMO.

Let's allow those whom ARE in chronic, severe pain get their pills & everyone else stay OUT of their GD business, IMO. Old people, middle aged with broken bodies, cancer patients, whomever. None of those folks are likely to OD themselves, no? It's the hardcore druggies whom are doing the OD spiral, is it not? Piss on 'em, let them go ahead & cash out of life so the world can be a better place w/o one more junkie stealing other people's shit to pay for their drugs.

Flame suit on.............    
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doctors made this mess and now my 81 year old mother in law who’s in chronic pain can’t get meds to help get comfortable enough to get a decent nights sleep.
View Quote
Wrong.  In the 1990’s the federal government pushed doctors and pharmaceutical companies to manufacture and prescribe more pain meds respectively.

Now you’re annoyed that we will NOT prescribe opiates to anyone.  Make up your mind.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How can you withhold common knowledge?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Large pharma and doctors are both to blame for the epidemic.  I would say big pharma more given that they withheld information on risks.
How can you withhold common knowledge?
+1

Exactly.  Everyone knew the risks of opiates going back to the first person who ate or smoked poppy latex, probably thousands of years ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Doctors made this mess and now my 81 year old mother in law who’s in chronic pain can’t get meds to help get comfortable enough to get a decent nights sleep.
View Quote
The fed.gov made this problem.

The fed.gov conflates people overdosing on illegally manufactured, smuggled, and distributed heroin and fentanyl and blamed the overdoes on prescriptions of hydrocodone, hydromorphone, and oxycodone.

And if an 65 year old is addicted to opioids, so fucking what?  If it keeps them from hurting and does not create a problem for them, why not let them live pain free?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wrong.  In the 1990’s the federal government pushed doctors and pharmaceutical companies to manufacture and prescribe more pain meds respectively.

Now you’re annoyed that we will NOT prescribe opiates to anyone.  Make up your mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re pissed at the wrong guy. I never asked you to overprescribe it. Go tell the federal government who did.

All I care about here is a little old lady in pain who could use some relief.

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The fed.gov conflates people overdosing on illegally manufactured, smuggled, and distributed heroin and fentanyl and blamed the overdoes on prescriptions of hydrocodone, hydromorphone, and oxycodone.

And if an 65 year old is addicted to opioids, so fucking what?  If it keeps them from hurting and does not create a problem for them, why not let them live pain free?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. Federal government then. You catch my drift though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife had a raging toothache a month ago. Dentist told her to take otc meds.

I wanted to inflict serious pain on each and every drug warrior standing in the way of someone in pain getting a little relief.

Fuck you all. I hope you wind up dying in your own feces and in excruciating constant pain.
View Quote
Yep.  The Opioid Crisis (tm) will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as people give up on the health system and start to seek out opium and bootleg pills, and perhaps even heroin.

The ex-GF has major menstruation pain, like debilitating.  Years ago she would take 2-3 norco during that week to lessen the pain.  Now she just sits in bed the first three days, I believe she has PCOS and some other shit.  Forget that fact that she never abused them, they won't even give her fucking Toradol (which isn't even a narcotic).  They tell her "take 800MG of Ibuprofen".  Fucking asswipes.

Add to that the major pain in the ass I go through to get fucking ambien to sleep, and now the FDA in their infinite, all-knowing wisdom has black-boxed it where you're not supposed to drive the day after taking it (uh, I have a chauffeur, yeah that's it) and last year a drug I used to mail order was fucking scheduled, due to some lame-ass "gee, we found it on some potheads we arrested so we need to do something about it."

For fuck's sake, many States are scheduling gabapentin.    The argument is that when combined with opiates, it can amplify the effects of opiates.  Gee, you fucking morons, how about.....alcohol?!?!  Schedule that because someone maybe might combine it and see what would happen.  It's pure lunacy.

It's literally a doubling down on the failed war on drugs, but now it's affecting everyday people, not just the "potheads."

Many adults know, from experience when they were young, that illicit drugs were never, and never will be difficult to get.  But they hesitate to deal with fucking scumbag drug dealers and the legal risks of some idiotic conviction for misbehaving with their own bodies.  I can see that changing soon.

Fuck them all and I earnestly and sincerely hope the bureaucrats that make these decisions fucking suffer of pancreatic cancer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Give up on the damn pill crisis.  Soon you won't be able to get a pain pill after a major surgery.  Everything should be legal and you should be able to judge for yourself what is needed and what is not.
View Quote
Soon? We're pretty much already there.

I've had better pain management for a toothache than I've gotten for an injured knee that required surgery recently.

I'm honestly shocked we haven't started seeing old guys arrested for knee capping the doc after telling them they couldn't help their dying wife. "Make sure to tell them you only want Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen when they dig that bullet out of your hip doc!"
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doctors made this mess and now my 81 year old mother in law who's in chronic pain can't get meds to help get comfortable enough to get a decent nights sleep.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree

Last time I went to the hospital for a kidney stone they tried to give me ibuprofen and a banana bag

Wtf
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree

Last time I went to the hospital for a kidney stone they tried to give me ibuprofen and a banana bag

Wtf
If I were at the ER with a kidney stone and they gave me ibuprofen, I would probably react.....poorly.

Quoted:Doctors made this mess and now my 81 year old mother in law who's in chronic pain can't get meds to help get comfortable enough to get a decent nights sleep.
I don't think doctors created this mess at all - ANYONE who has ever even heard of these drugs damn well knows they can be addictive.

Holy fuck, where the fuck did personal responsibility go?  Why do people insist on the government protecting adults from their own decisions?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The answer to your question is obvious.  There is also suboxone as a treatment option as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol you drug warriors are as bad as liberal "blood in the streets" zealots.

So they are now addicted to methadone, which is 10 times harder to get off of.  I guess, yay?  All because of the feels of "opioid addiction".

You seem to be perfectly fine with them being addicted to methadone, but not opioids....why?
The answer to your question is obvious.  There is also suboxone as a treatment option as well.
How about the “I don’t give a fuck about other people’s addictions and don’t want their behavior to affect my ability to get what I need when I’m injured.”

Opioid addiction!!! Opioid addiction!!!  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You’re pissed at the wrong guy. I never asked you to overprescribe it. Go tell the federal government who did.

Nice try though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.
Yes you did by begging the government to take over health care for children, the disabled and the elderly.  The government pays the bills for the little old lady so they make the rules.

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep.  The Opioid Crisis (tm) will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, as people give up on the health system and start to seek out opium and bootleg pills, and perhaps even heroin.

The ex-GF has major menstruation pain, like debilitating.  Years ago she would take 2-3 norco during that week to lessen the pain.  Now she just sits in bed the first three days, I believe she has PCOS and some other shit.  Forget that fact that she never abused them, they won't even give her fucking Toradol (which isn't even a narcotic).  They tell her "take 800MG of Ibuprofen".  Fucking asswipes.

Add to that the major pain in the ass I go through to get fucking ambien to sleep, and now the FDA in their infinite, all-knowing wisdom has black-boxed it where you're not supposed to drive the day after taking it (uh, I have a chauffeur, yeah that's it) and last year a drug I used to mail order was fucking scheduled, due to some lame-ass "gee, we found it on some potheads we arrested so we need to do something about it."

For fuck's sake, many States are scheduling gabapentin.    The argument is that when combined with opiates, it can amplify the effects of opiates.  Gee, you fucking morons, how about.....alcohol?!?!  Schedule that because someone maybe might combine it and see what would happen.  It's pure lunacy.

It's literally a doubling down on the failed war on drugs, but now it's affecting everyday people, not just the "potheads."

Many adults know, from experience when they were young, that illicit drugs were never, and never will be difficult to get.  But they hesitate to deal with fucking scumbag drug dealers and the legal risks of some idiotic conviction for misbehaving with their own bodies.  I can see that changing soon.

Fuck them all and I earnestly and sincerely hope the bureaucrats that make these decisions fucking suffer of pancreatic cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife had a raging toothache a month ago. Dentist told her to take otc meds.

I wanted to inflict serious pain on each and every drug warrior standing in the way of someone in pain getting a little relief.

Fuck you all. I hope you wind up dying in your own feces and in excruciating constant pain.

If it was up to me, I would make all drugs OTC.  Except for antibiotics.  We can’t trust you fuckers with those.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes you did by begging the government to take over health care for children, the disabled and the elderly.  The government pays the bills for the little old lady so they make the rules.

Nice try though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Nice try though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice try though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Nice try though.
It appears you are better at building strawmen than you are at doctoring.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
My experience, 73 years old:

Doc: How's your pain.

Me:  I have pain all the time but the opiates help a lot.

Doc:  I'm cutting you off all opiates because your body wants opiates and pretends it's in pain to get them. You'll be pain free when you stop.

Me:  (after a month without opiates)  I really hurt and can't sleep or function without opiates. I have kidney probs. so can't take nsaids.

Doc:  AHA, you're seeking drugs you scum bag addict.  You'll never get opiates from me now and it's your own fault.

Denying old people in pain opiates is torture and doctors seem to have no problems causing people to be in pain. I think my Doc enjoys the power to hurt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.  Came to post exactly that.  They (gov and maybe FDA?, surgeon general) made up the “6th vital sign” and if you didn’t treat it, the doc could get a mark on their license.

Our country is run by lobbyists.   Pharma has a lot of lobbyists.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
About 1/3rd of those on methadone were still sober ...
View Quote
I thought methadone was a synthetic opioid, so that makes no sense to me at all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#19]
A few months ago my back was injured so badly I could barely move and needed help to get to the doctors office. She prescribed 15 tablets of 5mg oxycodone and said she would get into trouble if she prescribed more than that. To get by I had to take some oxycodone left over from pre-back surgery over 10 years ago. I've lost respect for the medical establishment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes.  Came to post exactly that.  They (gov and maybe FDA?, surgeon general) made up the “6th vital sign” and if you didn’t treat it, the doc could get a mark on their license.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s what the clueless doctors among us need to realize: I’m not a lobbyist for anyone or anything other than my mother in law who needs to rest.

It literally makes not one iota of difference to me whether you doctors made the decision or if the government did, she’s in pain, and nobody will help.

I put a decent amount of blame on the “doctor pill”/pill mills that wrote tons of scripts for pills to the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Addicts. Cretins. Neither of which is my MIL. Clean up your own house before you point fingers at us.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Bullshit. With the cowardly doctors cracking down on patients in severe pain, I don't see how it is possible for any more of this so called "crisis" to be blamed on prescription opioids.

At what point will there be a realization that, oh damn, we have essentially banned these prescription meds, but the number of overdose deaths have not changed. Oh and now all of these people in pain are prisoners of their pain and unable to complete activities of daily living.

With the alcohol prohibition, there was not even a recognized medical basis and things went very poorly for the government. They created organized crime as well as other problems. Now, the only possible outcome is people that are desperate from their pain resorting to illegal narcotics for relief. These narcotics are not precisely manufactured in American factories. They are cooked up by the cartel and brought here. So again, the government is empowering a criminal enterprise and creating danger. Does no one else see history repeating itself? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Say it enough and it become so. Old people need pain meds. Who would have ever guessed it.
Todays news. Old people hurt but we saved them from addiction.
Tomorrows news unexplained increase in suicide among the elderly.
View Quote
Given that assisted suicide isn’t legal in most of the US, but hospice care is, we have a situation where terminally ill people are in extreme pain, end up addicted to opioids, and die.

Where does this sit in the opioid drug deaths?

I had a cousin who is a nurse tell me about hospice patients getting their opioids limited because they might get addicted.  
THEYRE DYING!  WHO CARES?  Explain the risks and move on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I enjoyed the recent Iran thread so much. I think i'll partake in this one.

The opioid "crisis" was manufactured the second the Federal Government started budgeting medicare/medicaid based off patient hospital evaluations.

Welfare rats and leaches can't actually be in "pain" and heaven forbid they complain about their care.

So guess what load them fucks up on Tramadol and ship them off in hopes they don't scream bloody murder about "patient experience"
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wrong.  In the 1990's the federal government pushed doctors and pharmaceutical companies to manufacture and prescribe more pain meds respectively.

Now you're annoyed that we will NOT prescribe opiates to anyone.  Make up your mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doctors made this mess and now my 81 year old mother in law who's in chronic pain can't get meds to help get comfortable enough to get a decent nights sleep.
Wrong.  In the 1990's the federal government pushed doctors and pharmaceutical companies to manufacture and prescribe more pain meds respectively.

Now you're annoyed that we will NOT prescribe opiates to anyone.  Make up your mind.
I absolutely blame the government for pushing patient satisfaction scores, pain as a vital sign, the FDA allowing various marketing they shouldn't have, etc.

There is, still, a little blame for people that wrote for things that were questionable and ignored the history of opiate epidemics in the past.

Personally, I'd call it 50% federal government, 35% pharma, and 15% prescribers in terms of fault.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Nice try though.
It appears you now realize you don’t know what the fuck you were talking about and now you’re crawfishing back into that hole of ignorance you crawled out of.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I know a lot of seniors and Pot usage is wide spread. They still function as normal old people; but couldn’t pass a pre employment test.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I absolutely blame the government for pushing patient satisfaction scores, pain as a vital sign, the FDA allowing various marketing they shouldn't have, etc.

There is, still, a little blame for people that wrote for things that were questionable and ignored the history of opiate epidemics in the past.

Personally, I'd call it 50% federal government, 35% pharma, and 15% prescribers in terms of fault.
View Quote
Pharma is gonna push what sells, look to IV Tylenol price hikes over the last decade as any indication of what role they play. Can't really hate the player just the game and its rules.

and you know who makes those ;)
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
My pain management Dr said the Opioid crisis is mostly a media centered thing.  It exists, but most addicts started on illegal drugs from day one.  Very few people started their addiction from an appropriate script.   And of that small group, most were at the hands of a minority of irresponsible Dr's who would keep increasing scripts as the customer asked.   And now as people have mentioned in this thread, they just yank the rug out from under people.

I have chronic back issues and use Kratom to keep my RX consumption down.  I highly recommend it.  I take 3g at a time.  I know several people taking 6g.  Compared to RX with insurance it is a more expensive option.  But it is a plant not a man made chemical.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@p3590

That’s a reasonable approximation of dividing up the blame, if we are going to call it that.  There definitely were lazy doctors trying to make a quick buck running true pill mills, where you went in, paid you money, and walked out with a prescription, with not even the pretense of a doctor/patient relationship.

In fact, Kermit Gosnell was not initially busted for killing full-term babies that had been delivered, but because he ran a true pill-mill.

There were also a lot more doctors that just used a lot of opiates in their practice, with no ulterior motives, but did end up with many opiate-dependent patients.  The latter, however, are not necessarily a bad thing.  It’s far better to have them than people shooting up unknown quantities of Fentanyl mixed in with Heroin, leading to the spike in fatal overdoses that got the government ball rolling.

But, since the government can’t control drug addicts, it came down hard on all doctors to where no one wants to be their next target.

As far as suffering patients, if I lose my job, it will affect far more patients as a percentage than those with painful conditions that can’t be treated without opiates.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#30]
People make their own choices.

If remaining ignorant and blindly flowing v the advice of another is their choice, they should own the out come.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Given that assisted suicide isn't legal in most of the US, but hospice care is, we have a situation where terminally ill people are in extreme pain, end up addicted to opioids, and die.

I had a cousin who is a nurse tell me about hospice patients getting their opioids limited because they might get addicted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say it enough and it become so. Old people need pain meds. Who would have ever guessed it.
Given that assisted suicide isn't legal in most of the US, but hospice care is, we have a situation where terminally ill people are in extreme pain, end up addicted to opioids, and die.

Welcome to the 1970s and before.
America has always had this retarded thing about not prescribing enough pain meds to terminally ill because of a fear of addition.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whatever.
View Quote
Seems like an intelligent position.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Large pharma and doctors are both to blame for the epidemic.  I would say big pharma more given that they withheld information on risks.
Don't fucking explain yourself or anything.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It appears you now realize you don’t know what the fuck you were talking about and now you’re crawfishing back into that hole of ignorance you crawled out of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Nice try though.
Lol.

That’s adorable. You pinned the government intervention on me and somehow I’m the ignorant one.

How did you get a doctorate being that incapable of discerning who is actually at fault? Good heavens no wonder the medical field is so effed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to know why a little old lady can't get her meds?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I thought methadone was a synthetic opioid, so that makes no sense to me at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
About 1/3rd of those on methadone were still sober ...
it is and a very good one. found an old bottle of dolophine (methatdone) once in an old pharmacy i worked in as a stock boy. i have bad headaches. took a tablet to ease my pain. worked so well i threw the rest down the toilet. i used to take percodans for the same thing. didnt cause much 'euphoria'. made my nose itch. but the methadone.. that was another story. never took another one.

before oxycontin, there was nothing similar (very high dose opiod in a single pill). closest thing would be someone in the hospital or at home with terminal cancer getting morphine or dilaudid injections. abusers found they could crush oxycontin and get a near lethal does (some folks od on crushed oxycontin). this high level of oxycontin introduced a whole generation of folks to very high opiod use in doctor proscribed pills. once those were cut folks started getting their fix from street dealers who mixed fentanyl with heroin.

hydrocodone (vicodin) was sorta the thin end of the wedge. doctor would start folks on vicodin and then move to oxcontin when vicodin became less effective as alll opiates due if you take them regularly. for years it was very easy to get a vicodin prescription refilled. even a PA could authorize it.

the backlash to all of this has been the complete reversal of pain treatment. doctors simply wont proscribe opiates anymore, regardless of the patients pain because the government has put the fear of god into them. the cartels, being the savvy business men they are, have filled the void.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@p3590

That's a reasonable approximation of dividing up the blame, if we are going to call it that.  There definitely were lazy doctors trying to make a quick buck running true pill mills, where you went in, paid you money, and walked out with a prescription, with not even the pretense of a doctor/patient relationship.

In fact, Kermit Gosnell was not initially busted for killing full-term babies that had been delivered, but because he ran a true pill-mill.

There were also a lot more doctors that just used a lot of opiates in their practice, with no ulterior motives, but did end up with many opiate-dependent patients.  The latter, however, are not necessarily a bad thing.  It's far better to have them than people shooting up unknown quantities of Fentanyl mixed in with Heroin, leading to the spike in fatal overdoses that got the government ball rolling.

But, since the government can't control drug addicts, it came down hard on all doctors to where no one wants to be their next target.

As far as suffering patients, if I lose my job, it will affect far more patients as a percentage than those with painful conditions that can't be treated without opiates.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@p3590

That's a reasonable approximation of dividing up the blame, if we are going to call it that.  There definitely were lazy doctors trying to make a quick buck running true pill mills, where you went in, paid you money, and walked out with a prescription, with not even the pretense of a doctor/patient relationship.

There were also a lot more doctors that just used a lot of opiates in their practice, with no ulterior motives, but did end up with many opiate-dependent patients.  The latter, however, are not necessarily a bad thing.  It's far better to have them than people shooting up unknown quantities of Fentanyl mixed in with Heroin, leading to the spike in fatal overdoses that got the government ball rolling.

But, since the government can't control drug addicts, it came down hard on all doctors to where no one wants to be their next target.

As far as suffering patients, if I lose my job, it will affect far more patients as a percentage than those with painful conditions that can't be treated without opiates.  
@C-4

We're pretty much on the same page, I suspect you and I could rant about the bastard creature that the U.S. healthcare ecosystem is for hours if we met in person.

The morally bankrupt assholes that ran pill mills are one thing.  There's definitely a fairly large group of prescribers (mostly in the ER, IMHO) that wrote a lot more than they should have because they uncritically looked at the pharma (purdue) marketing, were under pressure from medicare, and weren't aware of/ignored  the history of mu opiod receptor drugs.

To your other point about suffering patients: I don't give a shit about dependance in someone that's in horrible pain.  Everyone that has their thyroid burned down with radioactive iodine is completely dependent on replacement drugs, but no one cares that they absolutely need that next pill.

We've had 4 or so opiate epidemics before, they generally burn themselves out. There were productive civil war morphine addicts that just maintained on a steady dose for 50 years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My pain management Dr said the Opioid crisis is mostly a media centered thing.  It exists, but most addicts started on illegal drugs from day one.  Very few people started their addiction from an appropriate script.   And of that small group, most were at the hands of a minority of irresponsible Dr's who would keep increasing scripts as the customer asked.   And now as people have mentioned in this thread, they just yank the rug out from under people.

I have chronic back issues and use Kratom to keep my RX consumption down.  I highly recommend it.  I take 3g at a time.  I know several people taking 6g.  Compared to RX with insurance it is a more expensive option.  But it is a plant not a man made chemical.
View Quote
Keep a close eye on your liver enzymes.  Long term use can in some cases be associated with liver damage.

Liver problems may also occur after two to eight weeks of regular kratom use. Symptoms include nausea, itching, dark urine, abdominal pain, and jaundice. Heavy users might notice a hyperpigmentation or darkening of the cheeks due to over-stimulation of melanocytes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If it was up to me, I would make all drugs OTC.  Except for antibiotics.  We can’t trust you fuckers with those.
View Quote
100% agreed. Antibiotics being used improperly can and will screw all of us over. Painkillers? Whatever, it's your body. OTC legal sounds fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#40]
It sounds like Boomers are dying from the beasts they created.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#41]
it gets better.  My wife is supposed to get spinal fusion surgery this summer. Cigna health insurance demands she get a psych eval first.  She has zero history of mental issues or substance abuse.  But Cigna demands it anyway, to determine whether she is at risk for opioid addiction after the surgery.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If some old person wants to get high all day on painkillers who gives a shit
View Quote
Government agencies whose budgets rely on there always being a “crisis”
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Well there is some hope on the horizon.

As recreational marijuana becomes legal in more places, there is that as an alternative to opioids.  But you have to be allowed to grow your own, since insurance won't cover it.

And unless we rescind the 21st Amendment, there is always booze.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Am I the only one that sees this as a win for laxative companies?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
lol it's no surprise to anyone that has participated in the marijuana debate at all over the last 15 years
the biggest opponents are boomers who themselves are chugging opiates like candy
View Quote
interesting observation... i tend to agree.    I wonder if i should cross check the "muh pain pills" crowd with anti-mmj posts.

I'm not going to throw stones here, as I never have been in such pain where I felt I needed opioids.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It sounds like Boomers are dying from the beasts they created.
View Quote
.00012 boomers per hundred thousand are fucking reaping what they sow, my young cosmo.

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm thinking opiods should be withdrawn from the market. They appear to have been a huge mistake, because they are so addictive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I fear as I approach the later part of my life. I'd check myself out if the pain got too bad.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
it gets better.  My wife is supposed to get spinal fusion surgery this summer. Cigna health insurance demands she get a psych eval first.  She has zero history of mental issues or substance abuse.  But Cigna demands it anyway, to determine whether she is at risk for opioid addiction after the surgery.  
View Quote
Mine had discectomy and fusion times two discs two summers ago (C6/7/8, went in from the front). The pain management was too much for two weeks (Percocet, benzos, etc), and then.... GOOD LUCK!  They are happy to give you Gabapentin, which has a shit ton of side effects. Thank God she can tolerate pain. Also no history of mental illness or substance abuse.
God bless.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the largest lobbyist group pushing the "opiod addiction epidemic" myth are the marijuana lobbyist companies.  They've thrown millions of dollars to politicians, the media and medical providers to push marijuana as the "cure all" drug.

Gotta kill their largest competitor somehow.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top