Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Construction paper, written in crayons, paper laminated and a cheap wooden pole with nails and staples.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you putting up a nice sign?  Stop.

Just make a template and spray paint a piece of plywood when it gets stolen.  Make it easy to remove so they don't screw up your post.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/236821/lettering-symbols-pavement-markings_jpg-2731015.JPG
View Quote

I was thinking get some of that stuff that looks like cardboard but is made out of plastic and use a permanent marker, but same diff. Just make it so cheap and shitty looking that nobody will want it. Nail it to a tree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My assumption is they will just cut the pole at whatever level they can reach and take the sign off

Whoever keeps taking the sign isn't some high school kid. They have tools with them. I'm guessing some late 20s tweaker whose sense of humor never graduated high school.
View Quote

In Minecraft it’s not out of the range of a teenager to accomplish this task. Elevation or perm structure with painted info is best option.

All of the previous methods you mentioned would take less than 60 seconds to abscond with
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunt over bait.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gay, MI.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine living in Intercourse, PA

Gay, MI.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Game cameras are a thing.
View Quote

Yeah I have one in a camo locking box and was going to mount it after the last sign went up. Too busy to get it done on the same day, didn't think the sign would be gone in less than a week. My own fault for not putting the camera up first.

My wife ordered little signs that said "24/7 video surveillance" but I assume this will just result in the sign thieves taking an extra 5 minutes to locate and steal the game camera.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Luckily, "69" will not be a thing for much longer, due to Americans turning into total fatasses.

"00" will be the new "69".

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Luckily, "69" will not be a thing for much longer, due to Americans turning into total fatasses.

"00" will be the new "69".

View Quote

69 is cosmic brah.

It will always be with us.

Emperor Xi will make it so.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to put up road signs for the state.  A couple counties over from mine where some small communities, one was called Rowdy, the other was called Dwarf.

The sign looked like:

Rowdy
Dwarf

It got stolen a couple times a year.

After about 10 years someone finally changed it to:

Dwarf
Rowdy

It was never stolen again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Some towns with fun names get the name on a huge Boulder after their signs get stolen numerous times
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get big boulder delivered to end of street.  

Paint 69th street on it.
View Quote

Some variation of this .

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
When we lived at Tenkiller, the county finally change our address from "xxxxx Tiger Road" to xxxxx S 141st St East, because every friggin' high school kid from every friggin' high school with a Tiger mascot (BA Tigers, Coweta Tigers, ad nauseum) was getting caught stealing our road sign down at the corner (dead end road)

I hate having addresses that look like phone numbers
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Coat the edges of the sign and pole with never sieze.    

They will wish to hell they hadn’t touched it.

Or spray paint 69 on a piece of plywood and slap it up.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#16]
2” schedule 80 steel pipe, 15’  tall, filled with concrete, buried 6’.

Bandsaw blades aren’t that cheap and concrete will murder them. Concrete will murder just about any blades.

Itd be a challenge and a game to me at this point to try to defeat the vandal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Not worth the effort, but...

Put in a cemented base with a metal sleeve to bolt the post in.  Weld the sign to the post.  At least the bastards would need a saw, or have to take the post with them to get the sign.

Probably illegal, but I do like the thought of filling the pipe with cement to destroy saw blades - put some rebar in it as well, just in case they are smart enough to try to score the post and crack the cement.
---
Neighbor had a problem with his mail box.  He happened to be a water well driller.  Eventually his mailbox was on a 6" casing, probably planted 8' into the ground.  He hung a 30 gallon kettle under it-filled with dirt and cactus.  It's still there after 20+ years, but the post office moved his box so they would not destroy their cars trying to get next to it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Change it to
Nice! St
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bandsaw blades aren’t that cheap and concrete will murder them. Concrete will murder just about any blades.

View Quote
I was just about to say something similar.
This plus there are several different types of anti-theft street sign nut and bolt sets available that will deter all but determined shitbags.  
When LED lightbars first came onto the market, they were routinely stolen around my area.  I helped a buddy one on his Jeep with anti-theft bolts and his never was stolen...but it had some tool marks where someone tried.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
68+1 street.
View Quote

Anything that equals 69 is going to get stolen
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, flip the sign upside down and would be scoundrels will be confused and run off to play with their talleywackers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Change it to 68.5 street, like Colorado changed mile marker 420 to 419.9.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Hook up a strong electrical charge to the sign.

Then put up a 5g trailcam.

Post to Youtube.

Profit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/City_limit_sign_of_Fucking%2C_Austria.jpg/170px-City_limit_sign_of_Fucking%2C_Austria.jpg

I think they actually changed the name of the town recently (in Austria, so in the German language it wasn't really a problem)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine living in Intercourse, PA

Gay, MI.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/City_limit_sign_of_Fucking%2C_Austria.jpg/170px-City_limit_sign_of_Fucking%2C_Austria.jpg

I think they actually changed the name of the town recently (in Austria, so in the German language it wasn't really a problem)

Don't forget Dildo, Newfoundland.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like this one

The last steel post was one of the box channel ones with holes in it and that would have been impossible to fill
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#27]
We looked at a house off of Weed Dr. Unsurprisingly the street sign was missing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
we had one "electric ave"  back in the day it was stolen eveytime they put a new on up
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you have to have a sign?
If you do how about one with two arrows, one pointing to 68th St and another arrow pointing to70th St?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Amazon sells razor wire. Up your entanglement game.

Just put one of these nearby and they'll focus on it instead:

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Stealing an Interstate 69 or I69 sign was a right of passage for us bored rural teens.

Big Beaver Road area was a little too populated to get away with it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Change the sign to 96 St or

70-1 St
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Protect it with a condom.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah this is what the state does to every mile 69 marker, for the same reasons. 68.9

View Quote

They also steal mile 420 signs. Oshkosh also has a street called High Street which runs through campus there. Those signs frequently dissappear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I was thinking get some of that stuff that looks like cardboard but is made out of plastic and use a permanent marker, but same diff. Just make it so cheap and shitty looking that nobody will want it. Nail it to a tree.
View Quote

Like a political sign?  Just have a bunch printed commercially, but certainly a cheaper option than a metal sign.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Move.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Any reason you didn't put a GPS tracker like an AirTag on the thing?

You could have a lottery among the home owners to see who gets to knock on the door to pay for the thing.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just not to 420
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change the street name.

Just not to 420

Colorado found that our real quick with mile marker 420s kept getting stolen.  Now they are 419.9.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Petition to change road name
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My local next door has a group of homeowners that want to change their street name from stoner avenue so the sign will stop getting stolen
View Quote

... to Armalite Rifle Way, perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My assumption is they will just cut the pole at whatever level they can reach and take the sign.  whose sense of humor never graduated high school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get an old telephone pole, mount it out of reach . It is the only way they stopped stealing the "Butts Rd " signs around here

My assumption is they will just cut the pole at whatever level they can reach and take the sign.  whose sense of humor never graduated high school.

I’m nowhere near the area!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Sierra November instead.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LXIX

You may never get pizza delivered correctly again, unless you say el, ex, eye, ex for the street name
View Quote

And then you have to deal with the jerks who look at it and decided to steal a sign that can be (improperly, but so what) pronounced "Licks it"
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Nothing to steal.

4’ wide. 7’ tall concrete wall/column.
Just paint it on both sides. Cute town logo or other below.
Or
8’ tall 10" diameter concrete pole. Paint it on vertically.

Or see below…
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Get big boulder delivered to end of street.  
Paint 69th street on it.
View Quote

This is the best answer.

Put a solar light to illuminate it
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#46]
deer hunting one year we decided to go to a titty bar in Spread Eagle, Wi.

planned on getting the sign on the way home, somebody beat us to it
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Know someone with a portable welding rig on a truck?

New sign, MIG the bolts on both ends.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Use a piece of drill stem for the post. Bolt.the sign on. Bend bolts with a hammer after tightening.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Use a piece of drill stem for the post. Bolt.the sign on. Bend bolts with a hammer after tightening.
View Quote

Paint sign on plate, weld to pipe. If they go through the effort they can keep it
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#50]
70th-1 street
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top