Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/8/2019 3:41:38 AM EDT
because the state won't allow cutting of corridors around powerlines to prevent or lessen the chance of fires.....

Pacific Gas & Electric says it's turning off the power to tens of thousands of Northern Californians to help reduce the risk of sparking a wildfire as forecasters predict a hot, dry and windy weekend.

Tap this link and enter your address to see if you will be affected.

The company says it will begin turning off the electricity Saturday morning for 1,600 customers in portions of Napa, Solano and Yolo counties west of Sacramento. The power will be out at least through the afternoon.

PG&E also says it will monitor conditions during the peak fire risk in the Sierra foothills Saturday evening. The company says if necessary, it could cut power to about 30,000 customers there.

The north and the Sierra foothills are where the state's most destructive and deadliest wildfires occurred the last two years.
View Quote
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/wildfire/pge-to-officially-shut-off-power-in-multiple-counties-saturday-morning/103-05bbdc3b-7f6c-484f-8f8f-e83cbdb99567

list of possible areas affected in the story....

this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The fire danger will last more than one afternoon.  No power till it rains or snows?  
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no need. PG&E quit doing preventative maintenance on power lines in the mid 1980's as a cost-cutting measure, so now blackouts are included in their terms of service contracts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like EMP preparedness drills.  California leading the nation.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
If only.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#6]
What a mess.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 3:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Somehow they managed to provide power to california for decades. Either global warming is real, or this is the rolling blackouts part of transitioning to a 3rd world country
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#10]
This shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what is going to happen when the people get fed up with the power outages and Gov Newsome announces that the State will seize and take over running of the power companies to fix it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
View Quote
I'm old enough to remember last when they said they were going to shut off power during high risk times. The whole gold country social media verse was saying they couldn't do that because it would hurt so many. Then the camp fire happened and the same people were bitching that they didn't shit of off. They are bitching again this year.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wonder what is going to happen when the people get fed up with the power outages and Gov Newsome announces that the State will seize and take over running of the power companies to fix it?
View Quote
what will happen is the sizes of the affected areas will increase, and rolling blackouts will start occuring on high wind days. then, as the weather changes, and you start getting multiple days of high winds, businesses and people in affected areas that could be out of power for days.

people will have to try to make due, while sweltering in their homes....

businesses that don't have generators will lose their frozen, and refrigerated foods....

it will cause a backlash that might actually get them to change the forestry regulations....

but likely, california will double down on it and break up pg&e into separate areas, and make them get power from out of state instead of use the existing power lines, driving up cost to consumers
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]
So it's going to be a hot ass weekend and the northern CA people cannot run their AIRcondidtioners because the power will be out. Nice. really nice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

what will happen is the sizes of the affected areas will increase, and rolling blackouts will start occuring on high wind days. then, as the weather changes, and you start getting multiple days of high winds, businesses and people in affected areas that could be out of power for days.

businesses that don't have generators will lose their frozen, and refrigerated foods....

it will cause a backlash that might actually get them to change the forestry regulations....

but likely, california will double down on it and break up pg&e into separate areas, and make them get power from out of state instead of use the existing power lines, driving up cost to consumers
View Quote
Hope so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the "progress" that "progressives" want.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#17]
And they say Mississippi is fucked up, lol

California is NPC land in real life
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Well let's see. They just got sued into bankruptcy for last year's wildfire.
I think they are just trying to avoid being sued into oblivion. But it will happen.
Enjoy your state run Green Energy, Renewable electrical grid, California.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Sue for causing fires, we turn off your power in dry windy conditions. Pretty straightforward outcome.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hmmm.  I just watched the Chernobyl series.  That was a state run power plant too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I just put in my address and it looks like I won't be affected; that's really great news!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I am sure that plan will work out really well.

Cut some trees down and solve the problem,  Hopefully folks will get pissed off and do something about it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL

you cant make this shit up
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
@Vacaduck ...
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't like the black-outs?

Thank a California Environmentalist and their lawyers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't like the black-outs?

Thank a California Environmentalist and their lawyers.
View Quote
They don't care because they don't live in the affected areas.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Y'all better hope we have a good wheat harvest.
Otherwise hide yo' states, hide yo' water 'cause we're Red Dawnin' everyone up in here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#30]
watch a fire get started by some idiot trying to run a cheap generator for the first time....
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Good thing they have windmills to replace the loss, wait, those need power lines also.  So it will be windy and the windmills will be shut off, got it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't a majority of CA's power already originate out of state?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#33]
If we shut down the roads, we can cut car accidents down to zero!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
It like usual where people post without reading the article, except this time you took it a step further and didn't even read the OP or possibly even the title.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#35]
twitter people are not happy about this.

Laughs in American.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Hell it is not even summer yet!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#37]
California deserves everything it gets.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their desire to disarm the residents ties in with that.
No guns = less violence. Wrong. People will find plenty of ways to kill each other when SHTF.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And they’ll be sued again if anyone like an elderly person dies because of this.
Tough situation for them to be in.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#40]
California should outlaw owning a home generator to prevent pollution and global warming from the thousands of them running during the power out.

Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#41]
As I gaze out my window lovingly at my propane powered Generac...

And think about the portable tri-fuel Honda gensets in the garage...

I do feel sorry for the old and sick who will have to suffer through this.

Will PG&E get sued again if someone dies in their home from the heat? What if someone burns down their home with a portable generator?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Epic failure and hilarity.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

because the state won't allow cutting of corridors around powerlines to prevent or lessen the chance of fires.....

...this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result
View Quote
OP's editorialization is baloney.  The cited article says NOTHING about the state not allowing trees to be trimmed.  The situation has nothing to do with California environmental protection laws.

Utilities are permitted by federal law to trim trees, shrubs, etc. in the vicinity of power transmission lines on both private and public lands.  California state law requires it.  (Several years ago SDG&E took out a LARGE Mexican fan palm that my ex-wife brilliantly planted right under a 12 KV line in front of my house.  I paid nothing.)

The problem is that it's very expensive to maintain adequate clearance in densely forested areas.  The California Public Utilities Commission has to approve plans to improve fire safety.  PG&E and others haven't spent the money, they've been dragging their feet, and there is some controversy about where the money would come from.  The blackout plan is a cheap kludge to avoid liability until a workable plan to trim vegetation can be worked out and implemented.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=1974

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/business/energy-environment/pge-wildfire-plan-blackouts.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#44]
*bumps t-stat down another notch and orders some 30rd Pmags from PSA
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. Water too!...
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Green New Deal gonna fix all this shit.  Honest.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just put in my address and it looks like I won't be affected; that's really great news!
View Quote
LOL.. Me too!

But, i used to live in CA 20+ years ago, and the area i lived in will be affected.

If i know my ex FIL, he has a generator or two and the trailer ready.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's no need. PG&E quit doing preventative maintenance on power lines in the mid 1980's as a cost-cutting measure, so now blackouts are included in their terms of service contracts.
View Quote
There's a lot more truth in that than in the OP's bullshit.  But also the problem is so big that nobody knows how to pay for fixing it.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/1/17800358/california-mendocino-wildfire-dead-trees
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

OP's editorialization is baloney.  The cited article says NOTHING about the state not allowing trees to be trimmed.  The situation has nothing to do with California environmental protection laws.

Utilities are permitted by federal law to trim trees, shrubs, etc. in the vicinity of power transmission lines on both private and public lands.  California state law requires it.  (Several years ago SDG&E took out a LARGE Mexican fan palm that my ex-wife brilliantly planted right under a 12 KV line in front of my house.  I paid nothing.)

The problem is that it's very expensive to maintain adequate clearance in densely forested areas.  The California Public Utilities Commission has to approve plans to improve fire safety.  PG&E and others haven't spent the money, they've been dragging their feet, and there is some controversy about where the money would come from.  The blackout plan is a cheap kludge to avoid liability until a workable plan to trim vegetation can be worked out and implemented.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=1974

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/business/energy-environment/pge-wildfire-plan-blackouts.html
View Quote
Meaning they need to get the go-ahead every time they want to cut a clearance around towers/lines? That seems insane.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top