Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meaning they need to get the go-ahead every time they want to cut a clearance around towers/lines? That seems insane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP's editorialization is baloney.  The cited article says NOTHING about the state not allowing trees to be trimmed.  The situation has nothing to do with California environmental protection laws.

Utilities are permitted by federal law to trim trees, shrubs, etc. in the vicinity of power transmission lines on both private and public lands.  California state law requires it.  (Several years ago SDG&E took out a LARGE Mexican fan palm that my ex-wife brilliantly planted right under a 12 KV line in front of my house.  I paid nothing.)

The problem is that it's very expensive to maintain adequate clearance in densely forested areas.  The California Public Utilities Commission has to approve plans to improve fire safety.  PG&E and others haven't spent the money, they've been dragging their feet, and there is some controversy about where the money would come from.  The blackout plan is a cheap kludge to avoid liability until a workable plan to trim vegetation can be worked out and implemented.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=1974

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/business/energy-environment/pge-wildfire-plan-blackouts.html
Meaning they need to get the go-ahead every time they want to cut a clearance around towers/lines? That seems insane.
Wrong.  They need approval for their remediation plan because it will certainly affect rates.  The issue is how they will get money to pay for the work.  (In the end everyone knows that consumers will end up picking up the tab.)

They can trim trees near their lines any time without special permission.  They do need permission to raise rates.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

what will happen is the sizes of the affected areas will increase, and rolling blackouts will start occuring on high wind days. then, as the weather changes, and you start getting multiple days of high winds, businesses and people in affected areas that could be out of power for days.

people will have to try to make due, while sweltering in their homes....

businesses that don't have generators will lose their frozen, and refrigerated foods....

it will cause a backlash that might actually get them to change the forestry regulations....

but likely, california will double down on it and break up pg&e into separate areas, and make them get power from out of state instead of use the existing power lines, driving up cost to consumers
View Quote
Looks like they are shutting down the lines, not the generators, so how would they get that out of state power to their customers?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Looks like they are shutting down the lines, not the generators, so how would they get that out of state power to their customers?
View Quote
They won't.  Some customers are going to be SOL unless they already have their own backup power.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s awesome to watch people get to learn about economics and logic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wrong.  They need approval for their remediation plan because it will certainly affect rates.  The issue is how they will get money to pay for the work.  (In the end everyone knows that consumers will end up picking up the tab.)

They can trim trees near their lines any time without special permission.  They do need permission to raise rates.
View Quote
Oh, that's fine then.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
PG&E earlier released its Public Safety Power Shutoff criteria, factors include:
A Red Flag Warning declared by the National Weather Service
Low humidity levels, generally 20 percent and below
Forecasted sustained winds generally above 25 mph and wind gusts in excess of approximately 45 mph, depending on location and site-specific conditions such as temperature, terrain and local climate
Condition of dry fuel on the ground and live vegetation (moisture content)
On-the-ground, real-time observations from PG&E's Wildfire Safety Operations Center and observations from PG&E field crews
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
View Quote
Yep.  You get the behavior you ask for.  I don't blame them.  California needs to deal with it or..."nationalize" their power grid.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep.  You get the behavior you ask for.  I don't blame them.  California needs to deal with it or...nationalize their power grid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The power company was successfully sued for starting fires last year. They are responding to.that
Yep.  You get the behavior you ask for.  I don't blame them.  California needs to deal with it or...nationalize their power grid.
I don't know a lot about power transmission, but it seems to me that underground lines would make sense in fire-prone areas.  I'm sure the cost is high, but it's one and done as opposed to having to come back and trim vegetation every few years.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is the "progress" that "progressives" want.
View Quote
Inching towards the entire commie takeover.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't know a lot about power transmission, but it seems to me that underground lines would make sense in fire-prone areas.  I'm sure the cost is high, but it's one and done as opposed to having to come back and trim vegetation every few years.
View Quote
Underground lines would be extraordinarily expensive. Especially in a place the size of California. There’s also the problem of people hitting them while doing excavations and what not.

Also when they have a fault (and they do fault) it’s much more difficult to locate. PG&E is in a tough spot it seems.

<————substation guy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Fucking ridiculous.

Find a way to distribute electrical power that says fuck you to wind and stuff.

Also, CLEAR SOME FIRE BREAKS.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The power company should shut off power for a week on principle.

The power company can drive their trucks through any easement they have.  They can destroy anything in that easement doing it. If people saw how often it happened fixing outages they would be outraged about that I’m sure.

They have crews that they hire almost year round clearing vegetation(my local utility at least).

I’ve seen it over and owner. Johnny homeowner: “But it’s my property!” As the bucket truck destroys his garden/fence/lawn/whatever.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Everybody and business buy a generator, make your own electric
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They don't care because they don't live in the affected areas.
View Quote
Correct. All metropolitan areas still are on. The sparsely populated conservative areas are sitting in the dark.

We currently have power, but have friends without.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Everybody and business buy a generator, make your own electric
View Quote
I guarantee you that every Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in the affected areas has people lined up to buy generators at this very moment.  They will be sold out by 10:00 AM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@Vacaduck ...
View Quote
Oh well.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Underground lines would be extraordinarily expensive. Especially in a place the size of California. There’s also the problem of people hitting them while doing excavations and what not.

Also when they have a fault (and they do fault) it’s much more difficult to locate. PG&E is in a tough spot it seems.

<————substation guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<————substation guy.
Exactly. And the time to dig up who knows how much area to fix it. In who knows lawn or street.  Aerial outage might take an hour to fix. Underground same problem might take hours just to get all the equipment on site.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#21]
One step closer to being an official 3rd world fuckhole.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Exactly. And the time to dig up who knows how much area to fix it. In who knows lawn or street.  Aerial outage might take an hour to fix. Underground same problem might take hours just to get all the equipment on site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Underground lines would be extraordinarily expensive. Especially in a place the size of California. There's also the problem of people hitting them while doing excavations and what not.

Also when they have a fault (and they do fault) it's much more difficult to locate. PG&E is in a tough spot it seems.

<substation guy.
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
California deserves everything it gets.
View Quote
Truth right here.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guarantee you that every Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. in the affected areas has people lined up to buy generators at this very moment.  They will be sold out by 10:00 AM.
View Quote
This is the best solution because the chances of sparking an accidental fire go way down when everyone starts their gasoline powered generator and leaves it unattended.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]
So they don't have rights of way or cleared lanes along the power lines?

Around here helicopters trim the trees with giant chainsaws hanging beneath them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Around here helicopters trim the trees with giant chainsaws hanging beneath them.
View Quote
The argument is over who pays for the cost of keeping the lanes clear. Utility companies say that the costs should be covered by the utility rates (customers pay). Gubmint says the utility company should eat those costs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which is crazy because PG&E announced weeks ago that the outages would occur this summer; there was even a thread here about it.  That was the time to get a generator.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The argument is over who pays for the cost of keeping the lanes clear. Utility companies say that the costs should be covered by the utility rates (customers pay). Gubmint says the utility company should eat those costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think that’s the argument at all.  The power companies keep trees clear of their lines as best they can.  But if something does fall, spark, and start a fire because in horrible drought conditions the power company will be sued every single time now that there is precedent.

Who will invest in power companies after each one goes bankrupt due to lawsuits?

If people knew how often catastrophic failures happened in utility companies they would shit themselves.  They never stop.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don’t think that’s the argument at all.  The power companies keep trees clear of their lines as best they can.  But if something does fall, spark, and start a fire because in horrible drought conditions the power company will be sued every single time now that there is precedent.

Who will invest in power companies after each one goes bankrupt due to lawsuits?

If people knew how often catastrophic failures happened in utility companies they would shit themselves.  They never stop.
View Quote
Yup I work for a utility. Things are constantly failing and going boom.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#33]
So is this part of CA's way of practicing how to be the Venezuela of the northern hemisphere?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't like the black-outs?

Thank a California Environmentalist and their lawyers.
Winner winner.

SF and LA advocacy groups lead the charge - and are wholly unaffected in almost every scenario.

Try getting SF to give up its hetch hetchy water to save the delta smelt...

Energy costs? They don’t have to run the A/C or heat for 10 months out of the year.

Fuuuuuuck them. Conservative California suffers because liberal fucks in their beach hideaways won’t let pge trim vegetation without jumping through environmental hoops.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So they don't have rights of way or cleared lanes along the power lines?...
View Quote
Yes they certainly DO, and they are required by state law to clear vegetation.  PG&E claims it doesn't have the capital to pay for proper fire prevention.

Helicopters are used here too BTW.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Oh, that's fine then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's fine then.
Except that's not completely true, the devil's in the details. For example if they want to cut down an otherwise healthy tree outside the R/W because it could hit the lines, they have to have an arborist give the ok. Can you imagine not just the cost, but the time and hassle it would take to do that for individual trees along all their lines? In my opinion the bigger problem is that the rights-of-way are not wide enough, partly because it would cost too much money to acquire and partly because of the environmental regulations and lack of support from the adjacent landowners to do that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP's editorialization is baloney.  The cited article says NOTHING about the state not allowing trees to be trimmed.  The situation has nothing to do with California environmental protection laws.

Utilities are permitted by federal law to trim trees, shrubs, etc. in the vicinity of power transmission lines on both private and public lands.  California state law requires it.  (Several years ago SDG&E took out a LARGE Mexican fan palm that my ex-wife brilliantly planted right under a 12 KV line in front of my house.  I paid nothing.)

The problem is that it's very expensive to maintain adequate clearance in densely forested areas.  The California Public Utilities Commission has to approve plans to improve fire safety.  PG&E and others haven't spent the money, they've been dragging their feet, and there is some controversy about where the money would come from.  The blackout plan is a cheap kludge to avoid liability until a workable plan to trim vegetation can be worked out and implemented.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/business/energy-environment/pge-wildfire-plan-blackouts.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

because the state won't allow cutting of corridors around powerlines to prevent or lessen the chance of fires.....

...this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result

The environmental regulations are onerous to even maintain their roads - let alone trim veg. This is my field - it’s expensive to maintain because it takes forever to work through the various environmental approvals.

So yes - while they are nominally allowed to trim veg, the environmental process is very expensive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Also earthquakes
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
watch a fire get started by some idiot trying to run a cheap generator for the first time....
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#41]
As usual, you saw it first on arfcom............
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The environmental regulations are onerous to even maintain their roads - let alone trim veg. This is my field - it’s expensive to maintain because it takes forever to work through the various environmental approvals.

So yes - while they are nominally allowed to trim veg, the environmental process is very expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because the state won't allow cutting of corridors around powerlines to prevent or lessen the chance of fires.....

...this is what happens when people don't allow clearing and cutting in forest, yet blame the utility for the fires that result

Another example of non-producers using ulterior motives and the agency of government to insure they get paid. From the insurance man, to the CPAs, armies of attorneys required in all fields, environmental experts, and on and on.

These are the true FSA. The non-producers with the cush jobs who don’t get their hands dirty, while looking over the shoulder of the workers to insure compliance with complex government edicts (which they lobbied for).
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Liberals cater to the Whims Minority while ignoring the Needs of the Majority.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
watch a fire get started by some idiot trying to run a cheap generator for the first time....
View Quote
Yep, ignites all the spilled gas from the CARB compliant vapor lock safety bullshit gas cans.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Upon hearing this news, the California legislation called an emergency meeting to approve a "special tax" on "all generators and inverters, and otherwise equipment used for the generation of electricty."  The measure is expected to pass and be voted on by 10:30 a.m., and legislators have asked big box stores to place a moratorium on sales of such equipment until the measure is enacted.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Putting electrical under ground is insanely high. putting high voltage is even more so. Wires hanging in free air aid in the cooling of the lines. When its hot out and demand is high, high voltage lines sag like a mofo. As a matter of fact, they hang so low they hit the tops of trees or even the ground, starting fires.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Upon hearing this news, the California legislation called an emergency meeting to approve a "special tax" on "all generators and inverters, and otherwise equipment used for the generation of electricty."  The measure is expected to pass and be voted on by 10:30 a.m., and legislators have asked big box stores to place a moratorium on sales of such equipment until the measure is enacted.
View Quote
Truth is stranger than fiction. I actually believe they would try something like this.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Again GD has shown the suck that is California..Trump should try and sell it back to Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Again GD has shown the suck that is California..Trump should try and sell it back to Mexico.
View Quote
California has far more value than say, Ohio. It just needs to be purged of leftists.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top